Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I just saw "Le Malin "The Blade That Protects The Vichiya Dominion," which, whoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lol

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Just got to see Belle.

Would recommend watching this movie for the visuals and music alone. That's purely 10/10 and would have a loved a movie set in only U.

The story however?
Huge spoilers.

I really, really don't feel good that the ending is basically 'Belle stares at abusive dad that begins to cry and runs away and abused kids thanks Belle for giving them courage only for them to return back to the abusive dad? I honestly didn't expect this twist either, and the reveal that the dragon is a victim of child abuse felt really out of left field for a movie that seemed to otherwise be about loneliness and idolization in an internet-universe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

verbal enema posted:

imo the songs that feature harmonica are the best of the cowboy bebop ost

Don't Bother None's harmonica breakdown is sick.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I thought I'd read somewhere that Azur Lane was the less weird of the two shipgirls games in terms of glossing over the historical stuff it's using. It must not be, given that I just saw "Le Malin "The Blade That Protects The Vichiya Dominion," which, whoa.

(Le Malin being in reality a French Navy destroyer that sided with Vichy France.)

idc does she have big baps

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its irrelevant anyways because taihou is still my wife

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
fondly remember reading last stand of the tin can sailors, googling the names of ships involved in the battle, and getting kancolle results

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Stalins Moustache posted:

Just got to see Belle.

Would recommend watching this movie for the visuals and music alone. That's purely 10/10 and would have a loved a movie set in only U.

The story however?
Huge spoilers.

I really, really don't feel good that the ending is basically 'Belle stares at abusive dad that begins to cry and runs away and abused kids thanks Belle for giving them courage only for them to return back to the abusive dad? I honestly didn't expect this twist either, and the reveal that the dragon is a victim of child abuse felt really out of left field for a movie that seemed to otherwise be about loneliness and idolization in an internet-universe.
Yeah I thought the ending was real dumb. The abusive dad going to hit Belle but then stopping and running away out of fear because she's not afraid of him felt incredibly contrived, and the abused kid was already standing up to his dad to protect his brother so what more did Belle give him the courage to do? Does he leave home with his brother? Does he fight back against his dad?
I can't believe they introduced this as plot in the film and then don't even hint at what happened to them, like for all we know the child abuse just continues while Belle and her friends and family all have their happy ending thinking they made a difference.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I thought I'd read somewhere that Azur Lane was the less weird of the two shipgirls games in terms of glossing over the historical stuff it's using. It must not be, given that I just saw "Le Malin "The Blade That Protects The Vichiya Dominion," which, whoa.

(Le Malin being in reality a French Navy destroyer that sided with Vichy France.)
people mostly mean that in terms of the japanese ships because azur lane is a chinese game and kancolle is a japanese game and they portray the japanese ships in the exact ways youd expect based on those two things

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So how did that scarlet nexus anime turn out? I'm guessing bad.

Much as I'd like to hear the god eater/code vein team improved their storytelling chops I doubt it.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It has a lot of history nerd jokes but that's about it

If anything AL is probably weirder for how unapologetically horny it is

Stairmaster posted:

idc does she have big baps

no.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got my bag back :toot:

American Airlines put it on 4 wrong flights and someone had very obviously rifled through it when I checked inside, but I got it back

yay! now I can wear my retainers again

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 31, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watched the rayearth ova. that uh. that sure existed.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

The Colonel posted:

watched the rayearth ova. that uh. that sure existed.

You have chosen ... poorly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There are unconfirmed rumors that a Berserk live action series is in the works, which...I mean, sure. It'd probably work out better than the 2012 anime.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

people mostly mean that in terms of the japanese ships because azur lane is a chinese game and kancolle is a japanese game and they portray the japanese ships in the exact ways youd expect based on those two things

Have any gacha games with that kind of theme gone with making everything a robot as their thing? Like 'this one's like a normal android, this one is basically a Gundam, this one controls the entire battleship from the front like a figurehead' etc etc?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I'm always into interesting character design. Someone on a discord linked Allenby Beardsley from some kind of Gundam themed series and I thought the design was just great. Incredibly 80s (it may very well be that old so it makes sense)

Is this series worth getting into?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ - I don't know what that show is, but I'd give it a shot too.

In contemporary anime that show phones being used, is it just me, or has there been a marked rise in artists using the iPhone 11-13 form factor, notch included?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that is G Gundam and has the most earnestly and hilariously racist robot designs in history

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
G Gundam is really good and you should watch it yes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Feliday Melody posted:

I'm always into interesting character design. Someone on a discord linked Allenby Beardsley from some kind of Gundam themed series and I thought the design was just great. Incredibly 80s (it may very well be that old so it makes sense)

Is this series worth getting into?

What a cutie

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Allenby is one of the side characters in G Gundam, though she doesn't show up until the back half so is a bit on the minor side

overall it's a fun hot-blooded shonen series, basically Gundam as a worldwide kung fu tournament that has Punch-Out style national stereotyping (for good and ill). not really similar to any other Gundams except for a bit of thematic resonance, and doesn't require any Gundam familiarity.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Patware posted:

that is G Gundam and has the most earnestly and hilariously racist robot designs in history

These are all amazing. I appreciate Hong Kong getting their own Gundam.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not pictured: Neo Iraq's Scud Gundam

(it's such a good design, they should've given it a better showing in the series :qq:)

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

dogsicle posted:

Allenby is one of the side characters in G Gundam, though she doesn't show up until the back half so is a bit on the minor side

overall it's a fun hot-blooded shonen series, basically Gundam as a worldwide kung fu tournament that has Punch-Out style national stereotyping (for good and ill). not really similar to any other Gundams except for a bit of thematic resonance, and doesn't require any Gundam familiarity.

dogsicle posted:

not pictured: Neo Iraq's Scud Gundam

(it's such a good design, they should've given it a better showing in the series :qq:)

Neat!

I was laughing at the Danish fish Gundam and then I realized that Sweden got a genderbent version of the Japan Gundam. I'm not mad. I respect that.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 31, 2021

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Feliday Melody posted:

Neat!

I was laughing at the Danish fish Gundam and then I realized that Sweden got a genderbent version of the Japan Gundam. I'm not mad. I respect that.

that's Allenby's machine, she is from Sweden

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Patware posted:

that's Allenby's machine, she is from Sweden

I saw that on the wiki page. She has by far the least Swedish name I ever heard haha.

Reminds me of that Japanese baseball game where they just winged the name for the American players.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
bobson dugnutt is a piece of poo poo

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 31, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ardeem posted:

You have chosen ... poorly.

it's weird cause iczer-1 is one of the cooler old mecha ovas i've watched and somehow every single 90s ova i've seen from the same director is way worse including iczer-3, and the rayearth ova managed to surpass any negative feelings i had on rayearth 2, immediately after i'd warmed up on rayearth 2 and enjoyed its ending

there are some cool designs and sequences in the rayearth ova but like. as a whole it is so. completely unsatisfying and incomprehensible

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 31, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

rune factory is taking over my life

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LCg8F2T4k

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Aurora posted:

rune factory is taking over my life

is 5 good? does anyone know? i'm so spooked 5 won't be good because i haven't really seen any kind of reception for the japanese release

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

well it sold at least 100k copies on launch

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

G Gundam kicks rear end and I insist that people should watch it as dub rather than sub.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Feliday Melody posted:

These are all amazing. I appreciate Hong Kong getting their own Gundam.

The staff behind the show were clearly fans of wuxia and HK's 60s-70s martial arts cinema, and it shows.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Lemon-Lime posted:

The staff behind the show were clearly fans of wuxia and HK's 60s-70s martial arts cinema, and it shows.

Not to mention recognizing Hong Kong as a legitimate independent nation. Something studios today tip toe around.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 31, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

G Gundam is legitimately one of the best Gundam series. And the dub is indeed really good despite the dumb censored names for some of the Gundams (although Burning Gundam works much better than the original tbh)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Feliday Melody posted:

Not to mention recognizing Hong Kong as a legitimate independent nation. Something studios today tip toe around.

There wasn't much to tip-toe around in 1994.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it was still a British colony at that point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

G Gundam drags a bit in the early going but there's a fun sincerity to it, and Master Asia is an amazing character. It was the first Gundam series made without series creator Tomino and Tomino's only direction to them was to do whatever the hell they wanted, and they sure succeeded in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osNiHWo80vs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Patware posted:

is 5 good? does anyone know? i'm so spooked 5 won't be good because i haven't really seen any kind of reception for the japanese release

the reception was iirc that it's a bit janky but fun but needs a lot of bugfixing. which, it seems like the english release has been taking some time to wait for, so its english launch will probably be better. also they're adding gay marriage