Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

What card from this set should have been mythic instead?

faster actual legend makes bigger bodies that fly and is as tanky as her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

faster actual legend makes bigger bodies that fly and is as tanky as her

Get ready to see janky deck using Gerald and this.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

[CARDNAME] is apparently... Undead Butler?

1B
1/2

When [CARDNAME] ETBs, Mill 3 cards (?)

When [CARDNAME] dies, you can exile him. When you do, return target creature from your graveyard to your hand.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Reads like a cycle card, having upside for the tribe in red's enemy colours. That would mean a black one for humans, blue for werewolves, white for vampires and green for zombies.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paul Zuvella posted:

You would literally never cut this theoretical uncommon in a set where the graveyard matters. The issue is that it probably should just be a rare, not that the card sucks.

I kinda feel like this card is going to be better than it looks. The instant speed GY hate that then provides further value is pretty powerful...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

hmm i may have been fooled!

i found the reddit post

honestly unsourced really recent spoilers aren't uncommon these days because you'll frequently have someone drop something on a stream and not post it to like twitter or whatever until hours later

also i doubt anyone is gonna go to the trouble to fake a cute but reasonably powered uncommon two-drop

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Waffleopolis posted:

Get ready to see janky deck using Gerald and this.

I already have a home for this in my jank-rear end Testsuro Umezawa Assault Formation deck. Unblockable 17/17

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Arivia posted:

i found the reddit post

honestly unsourced really recent spoilers aren't uncommon these days because you'll frequently have someone drop something on a stream and not post it to like twitter or whatever until hours later

also i doubt anyone is gonna go to the trouble to fake a cute but reasonably powered uncommon two-drop

yeah i saw it on reddit when i was browsing over there.

i looked at the numbering and while they haven't shown many green cards it is in the correct numbering position. it also looks like something viable and the art looks consistent to how the artist draws.

still i have no clue where this was shown off but yeah most likely real.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I sort of get why they templated it the way they did, but a part of me wishes the second ability had been "Prowess, prowess"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mcmagic posted:

I kinda feel like this card is going to be better than it looks. The instant speed GY hate that then provides further value is pretty powerful...

It's good, just probably not snap-pick good and considering it's a Mythic...flash and graveyard hate did pretty well in MID, and there's a good chance that card just reads landfall: create a 1/1 token if there are no targets.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dias posted:

It's good, just probably not snap-pick good and considering it's a Mythic...flash and graveyard hate did pretty well in MID, and there's a good chance that card just reads landfall: create a 1/1 token if there are no targets.

If there’s no targets you never get tokens. “If you play a land” triggers if you exile a land.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A 3/4 with Flash that absolutely nobody is going to play around game 1 is probably going to eat a creature the turn you play it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If there’s no targets you never get tokens. “If you play a land” triggers if you exile a land.

How many games is there nothing in either yard on T4?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

That wolf pup should have indestructible. It’s too cute to die.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

How many games is there nothing in either yard on T4?

Not often, I’m just clarifying because some people seem to think playing a land triggers a token because the wording is confusing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I've played a lot of limited games where someone plays a 2/4 and then nobody has good attacks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Didn't I design something 95% like this for the magic design contest here w couple years ago?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Didn't I design something 95% like this for the magic design contest here w couple years ago?

why is it a curse... seems like its a good enchantment?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

went back a couple pages didn't see this posted.. its an egg

Biolume Egg: 2U
Creature - Serpent Egg
Defender
When Biolume Egg enters the battlefield, scry (2)

When you sacrifice Biolume Egg, return it to the battlefield transformed under it's owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
0/4

------------------

Biolume Serpent
Creature - Serpent
Sacrifice two Islands: Biolume Serpent can't be blocked this turn
4/4

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Strong Sauce posted:

Creature - Serpent Egg
Defender

When you sacrifice Biolume Egg, return it to the battlefield transformed under it's owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
0/4

------------------

Biolume Serpent
Creature - Serpent
4/4

Oh hey, it's a super telegraphed combo with Geralf. And maybe there are other cards that sac creatures and then do something based on the sacced creature's toughness.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Strong Sauce posted:

Creature - Serpent Egg
Defender

0/4

------------------

Biolume Serpent
Creature - Serpent
4/4

I hope there aren't too many cards like this in UB, with exploit that seems really strong in limited. A 3 mana 4/4 with upside and scry 2 is very efficient already and saccing it with the exploit scorpion could let you draw two cards off it as well. Only downside is a loss in tempo, not sure how good playing this on curve will end up being.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Strong Sauce posted:

why is it a curse... seems like its a good enchantment?

it was for flavor because I was treating it like a fixed Haunt.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Arivia posted:

What's the source for this?

It is from mtgnerdgirl's stream yesterday. The tournament commentary one.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/zapgaze/status/1454772197835173896?s=21

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wonder if we'll see a 1-mana "If it's not day or night, it becomes day" card in this set, or if it's something they're avoiding intentionally. The current event mode in MTGA automatically starts the cycle at start of game and it's pretty interesting how much it changes things up; unless both players have a 1-drop in their starting hand it will usually stay Night for quite a few turns.

edit: It would be significantly swingy based on turn order, though -- much much more likely your opponent will be able to play a card and keep it daytime on their turn 2 than on their turn 1. I can see that being a decent reason to avoid it.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 31, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

goferchan posted:

Wonder if we'll see a 1-mana "If it's not day or night, it becomes day" card in this set, or if it's something they're avoiding intentionally. The current event mode in MTGA automatically starts the cycle at start of game and it's pretty interesting how much it changes things up; unless both players have a 1-drop in their starting hand it will usually stay Night for quite a few turns.

edit: It would be significantly swingy based on turn order, though -- much much more likely your opponent will be able to play a card and keep it daytime on their turn 2 than on their turn 1. I can see that being a decent reason to avoid it.

I think it has the potential to be just too miserable with Nightbound to have a player on the play to be able to get night to fall turn 2 and then just curve out their werewolves. That lovely looking 2/3 werewolf with menace that’s 4/4 on the night side is suddenly horrifying if you can play it out on turn 3 when night has already fallen.

IMO the huge number of werewolf-destroying things in MID Limited make a lot more sense if there was a one-mana thing that made it day which was cut very late in the process. I think the existence of that card would significantly change the power level of every Nightbound card.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I find it charming how much Wizards really wants to incentivize casting Auras, despite how risky and situational they are

“Hey! What if we attached them to a creature on the backside….or…what if we let you draw a card when you cast it??? What if we put Escape on it??? Come on guys, play Auras please!!!”

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mike N Eich posted:

I find it charming how much Wizards really wants to incentivize casting Auras, despite how risky and situational they are

“Hey! What if we attached them to a creature on the backside….or…what if we let you draw a card when you cast it??? What if we put Escape on it??? Come on guys, play Auras please!!!”
Auras are super popular amongst newer players, but are very, very bad unless they're designed in a way to get around the inherent 2-for-1 your opponent gets for blowing up something that's been Voltron'd.

This isn't new; it's been the design philosophy for auras since maybe 2009

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
no hexproof! only aura!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

He’s expensive, but I sure do like that slug.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

drat I really wish that activated ability were GB for Brawl/Commander purposes. Seems like a blast with Vorinclex and proliferate effects.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a big combo with Sludge Monster. They even both use the same counters!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh that's really cool lol, I didn't even notice.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jabor posted:

It's a big combo with Sludge Monster. They even both use the same counters!

Lol with both sludge monster and that guy in play your opponents creatures would just immediately die after a turn or two

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

hmm magicspoiler dot com seems to be blocking images form being hotlinked

edit:

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 31, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

hmm magicspoiler dot com seems to be blocking images form being hotlinked

edit:

Wolfrider is cool but weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Wolfrider is cool but weird

Yeah 1 for a 1/2 menace is fine but it seems like the activated ability is too expensive