Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Khorne Mortals at least has some absurd synergy bullshit to play with and non-summoning uses for its special points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I am glad they're getting a new Sorcerer since the old metal one just doesn't fit the army's current aesthetic at all, but I'm really hoping they announce at least one other mortal battleline unit for Maggotkin. At least the entire range looks amazing, because you sure don't get many options to choose from.

But yeah Chaos mortal armies have that weirdly common problem where GW makes all these amazing new kits and then forgets to make good rules for them.

Briny Sea Pup
Mar 28, 2010
Dang, the Dominion box set is on sale for 170$, I bought mine over a month ago and haven’t even opened it lol. Being an adult sucks

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/31/sunday-preview-time-to-reap-the-red-harvest/

Red Harvest goes up for pre-order next weekend. Which is probably one of the faster Announcement to pre-order turnarounds I've seen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I like about 60% of those barbarians in the Red Harvest set but jesus christ some of the women faces are abhorret. That one pinheaded woman with the white hair tuft might be one of the worst faces I have ever seen GW release.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think GW's Heavy Metal team's inability to actually paint good female faces as per usual and once we see some other painters go at it they'll look a lot better. Certainly been the case plenty of times in the past.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I am glad they're getting a new Sorcerer since the old metal one just doesn't fit the army's current aesthetic at all, but I'm really hoping they announce at least one other mortal battleline unit for Maggotkin. At least the entire range looks amazing, because you sure don't get many options to choose from.

But yeah Chaos mortal armies have that weirdly common problem where GW makes all these amazing new kits and then forgets to make good rules for them.

Here’s hoping for Pestigors.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've been re-reading some of the older AOS novels and they mention non-Blightking Rotbringers extensively, particularly in the Ghyran parts. Pestigors probably deserve it too, but there could be a spot for footmen-type Rotbringers. Maybe skinnier than Blightkings but showing a good deal of Nurgle's gifts.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Does anyone know if the Freeguild General on Griffon can fit on a 100mm base, or does it need the whole 120mm oval?

I'm thinking it might be cool to convert one to be a standin for a Lord Arcanum on Tauralon, but the base size is different.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Super pumped for a new Maggotkin book, they're so fun to paint and convert but "buy 10 boxes of Blightlords" was never a very appealing playstyle.

I do hope the mortal side of them stays competitive though, they are some of my favorite sculpts in the game. I just want having a few brick shithouse units of Blightlords and some Pusgoyle cavalry + cool heroes to finally be a viable strategy.

:same:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I like about 60% of those barbarians in the Red Harvest set but jesus christ some of the women faces are abhorret. That one pinheaded woman with the white hair tuft might be one of the worst faces I have ever seen GW release.

I think the sculpt is actually fine. The paintjob makes her head look tiny because they painted a dark warpaint blotch in the middle of her face, creating the illusion of a extremely narrow head. Gonna have to wait until we see the model unpainted, but I think it will actually look fine.

The model has a narrow, high cheekboned head, but not unusually so, but the paintjob exaggerates it wildly

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bob Smith posted:

Does anyone know if the Freeguild General on Griffon can fit on a 100mm base, or does it need the whole 120mm oval?

I'm thinking it might be cool to convert one to be a standin for a Lord Arcanum on Tauralon, but the base size is different.

Assuming all of the images in GIS are on 120mm, you're probably going to need the larger base, unless you're ok with the possibility of overhang with the front claw.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here’s hoping for Pestigors.

If they're anything like Slaangors they'll be 20 pts more expensive than whatever their closest equivalent is in the Maggotkin book, have like 2 attacks with -1 (read: 0) rend, die to a stiff breeze, zero way of making them battleline, and be such beautiful models that you might not care about any of the aforementioned

It rules when a whole army is built around the concept of "You can summon right? There's your rules right there. No need to pay for what you summon, we'll just fold those points into what you've already fielded!"

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 2, 2021

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Speaking of over pointed chaos mortals I finished these guys the other day and boy is this an elaborate kit for battleline

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Deified Data posted:

It rules when a whole army is built around the concept of "You can summon right? There's your rules right there. No need to pay for what you summon, we'll just fold those points into what you've already fielded!"

I honestly really, really want all the Chaos armies that can summon to get what Khorne has - a way to use their points for buffs instead.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Assuming all of the images in GIS are on 120mm, you're probably going to need the larger base, unless you're ok with the possibility of overhang with the front claw.

Cheers for that, I guess a little bit of overhang isn't going to cause problems as long as I measure from base to base.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I don't know what they'd be a proxy for, but there's got to be a use for all the little animals in AoS combined into one unit. Some kind of parrot/crab/skelebird/gryph-dog hybrid.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

MinistryofLard posted:

I don't know what they'd be a proxy for, but there's got to be a use for all the little animals in AoS combined into one unit. Some kind of parrot/crab/skelebird/gryph-dog hybrid.

Even more grimdark Animals of Farthing Wood TTRPG

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Wayland games has Dominion for a staggering £62.50 at the moment, it's almost tempting to buy another copy (especially when 3 boltboys are over £20 per set by themselves)...

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Marmaduke! posted:

Wayland games has Dominion for a staggering £62.50 at the moment, it's almost tempting to buy another copy (especially when 3 boltboys are over £20 per set by themselves)...

I would say its well worth it since you can probably sell rulebook for some additional return

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its total war but I have never wanted to play mawtribes more than I do after watching this video

https://youtu.be/5Bbp98oMsjA

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://www.warhammer-community.com...est-warscrolls/

Red Harvest warband scrolls up. Tarantulos are a great Cultists unit - 110 for 13 of them, 10 decent short-range ranged shots in Slaves plus 1-3 ablative wounds per round is good, and their non-spiders have 2" reach. Savagers are disappointing - they aren't Cultists so they don't get a Mark and they don't have a ton going for them at 100 points for 10. Great proxies still tho.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...est-warscrolls/

Red Harvest warband scrolls up. Tarantulos are a great Cultists unit - 110 for 13 of them, 10 decent short-range ranged shots in Slaves plus 1-3 ablative wounds per round is good, and their non-spiders have 2" reach. Savagers are disappointing - they aren't Cultists so they don't get a Mark and they don't have a ton going for them at 100 points for 10. Great proxies still tho.

Other people think the Savagers are decent. But yeah, they could really use a mark of chaos like the Darkoath Warqueen or Chieftain now get.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Savagers are decent damage - 20 swings, a good 6 of which are damage 2, and they can command themselves - but Slaves aren't lacking for decent damage melee. Their low Bravery can't be supplemented by Unaligned Aura, though. Their objective-grabber Ward save is pretty good in games with objective markers, but I mostly play Path to Glory, which doesn't use those near as much.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/07/the-sunday-preview-is-back-in-black-this-week-with-the-second-wave-of-black-templars/

Looks like Cities of Sigmar is next in line to get a White Dwarf mini-update.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I mean its nothing new but I feel a little sad at my two choices of armies being the last books released before the path to glory revamp.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
For the emerald lifeswarm I tried to do a metallic green. It's hard to get one good angle for it though.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
For all the wailing about 40K Ork Buggies, everyone should feel much sorry for anyone spamming out Orruk Boltboyz, the champion model is the worst thing I've ever tried to put together. And that's before the price for that one little sprue, yikes. Just buy out Dominion splits if you're thinking of getting any extras.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/14/champions-of-chaos-middle-earth-and-necromunda-are-inbound-in-this-weeks-sunday-preview/

For those who really wanted the Holga Clovenhorn model, here's your chance because it'll be available next weekend on the webstore, with no pre-order window.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/14/champions-of-chaos-middle-earth-and-necromunda-are-inbound-in-this-weeks-sunday-preview/

For those who really wanted the Holga Clovenhorn model, here's your chance because it'll be available next weekend on the webstore, with no pre-order window.
And Battleforces are coming. They’re gonna be revealed next Thursday.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Talas posted:

And Battleforces are coming. They’re gonna be revealed next Thursday.

Guessing we will get a Stormcast box and Kruleboy/Orruk Warclans box to go with Dominion just like how we got a Space Marine box and Necron box after Indomitus.

Also I played my first game of AoS today with my Stormcast and enjoyed it quite a bit, even if my opponent brought a Morathi I couldn't kill. I just took a grab bag of units from Dominion and while I was disappointed in the performance of my Knight-Arcanum and Knight-Vexilor (though at least with the Vexilor its because I hosed up on his positioning and couldn't use the banner at the right time) I was extremely impressed with my Annihilators. They managed to come down and annihilate (heh) an entire unit of witch elves in a single round of combat and then proceeded to tank small morathi and an entire unit of khinerai while the rest of my army was killed by big morathi.

All in all I had a lot of fun, the game seems a lot snappier and flows a lot better than 40k which can get bogged down with stratagems and all sorts of other special abilities. Looking forward to expanding my Stormcast and getting some decent shooting units and monsters in my list.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Finished for this week: Poxbringer

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Guessing we will get a Stormcast box and Kruleboy/Orruk Warclans box to go with Dominion just like how we got a Space Marine box and Necron box after Indomitus.

Also I played my first game of AoS today with my Stormcast and enjoyed it quite a bit, even if my opponent brought a Morathi I couldn't kill. I just took a grab bag of units from Dominion and while I was disappointed in the performance of my Knight-Arcanum and Knight-Vexilor (though at least with the Vexilor its because I hosed up on his positioning and couldn't use the banner at the right time) I was extremely impressed with my Annihilators. They managed to come down and annihilate (heh) an entire unit of witch elves in a single round of combat and then proceeded to tank small morathi and an entire unit of khinerai while the rest of my army was killed by big morathi.

All in all I had a lot of fun, the game seems a lot snappier and flows a lot better than 40k which can get bogged down with stratagems and all sorts of other special abilities. Looking forward to expanding my Stormcast and getting some decent shooting units and monsters in my list.

Great! I had my first game of 3rd Ed last night too (I've played like 3 games of 2nd Ed, over about a year). I also found it really interesting, there were a lot of bits where I found myself thinking what I could of / should of done with command abilities or picking certain units to fight.

Is it me though, or do some games seem to be dominated by huge god units? Like the Morathi you mentioned, or Archaon? My opponent had a bloodthirster and until I finally took it down it just melted things one by one. I guess to some extent this has always been the Warhammer way - I remember complaints about hero hammer in 5th Ed WHFB, although I wasn't old enough to fully understand the games tactics. But I'm much more interested in pushing around the little soldiers than seeing my ultimate hero mk2000 obliterating the whole enemy army.

Is it m

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Genghis Cohen posted:

Is it me though, or do some games seem to be dominated by huge god units? Like the Morathi you mentioned, or Archaon? My opponent had a bloodthirster and until I finally took it down it just melted things one by one. I guess to some extent this has always been the Warhammer way - I remember complaints about hero hammer in 5th Ed WHFB, although I wasn't old enough to fully understand the games tactics. But I'm much more interested in pushing around the little soldiers than seeing my ultimate hero mk2000 obliterating the whole enemy army.

Is it m

To some extent the god models can make the game revolve around them. But a lot of getting good at the game currently is learning how to mitigate and deal with them. It’s kind of rude to bring one to play against a new player imo (unless the newbie also has one, then fair game)

Bloodthirsters aren’t really considered god models though. They are just big behemoths and AoS armies almost always have at least 1 or two of those. They can wreck shop but fall pretty quickly if you focus on them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Danimo posted:

To some extent the god models can make the game revolve around them. But a lot of getting good at the game currently is learning how to mitigate and deal with them. It’s kind of rude to bring one to play against a new player imo (unless the newbie also has one, then fair game)

I thought it was a bit of a dick move at first as well but he mentioned that since it was my first game he wanted to bring a monster to show me their mechanics and DoK only has one option to do that. He didn't seem particularly malicious about it, was very polite throughout the game and despite everything the way the game played out if I had managed to get a single attack through I would have killed morathi and tabled him instead of morathi living and tabling me.

If anything it just made me want to get my Yndrasta painted up so I could bracket the poo poo out of her the next time we play.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's entirely possible to run an army right now that doesn't rely on hard-hitting monsters and big hero tricks...as long as you have a plan to deal with armies that rely on hard-hitting monsters and big hero tricks. (And, if you plan to play competitively, specifically have an army that is able to reliably drop a mega-gargant in a single round.)

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Genghis Cohen posted:

Great! I had my first game of 3rd Ed last night too (I've played like 3 games of 2nd Ed, over about a year). I also found it really interesting, there were a lot of bits where I found myself thinking what I could of / should of done with command abilities or picking certain units to fight.

Is it m

As others have said. You don't need a monster of your own, but you need a way to deal with one on the opponent side. Also remember Morathi and Archeon are a problem, but these are outliers. Things like greater demons are perfectly killable if you get down to it, and they eat up a huge chunk of points of your opponent army.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
What Battletomes are on the horizon other than Nurgle? I haven't been keeping up. Are there any dual-army boxes planned like with what they've been doing with 40k?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We don’t know, Nurgle is the only one that’s been announced so far. Idoneth is a pretty safe guess, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

What Battletomes are on the horizon other than Nurgle? I haven't been keeping up. Are there any dual-army boxes planned like with what they've been doing with 40k?

40k has a (so far) very accurate leaked release plan going around but I haven't seen one (or at least one that seems to be accurate) for AoS. There were some rumors about Gitz, Ogors and Beasts of Chaos battletomes at some point, I think?