Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm actually not even sure what factions can vassalize anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think tomb kings and vamps maybe can? I seem to remember the theme is factions centered around dominating others.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wood elves can vassalise factions.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve vassalized Mannfred as Vlad and Isabella before after stealing his castle so I could have a little buffer. It just results in everyone declaring war on him and being a general pain to deal with.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Vassals have always been a huge pain. It was kind of cool in Rome 2 and Atilla because you could recruit troops from your vassals, helped diversify the armies a bit. But otherwise they're just an annoying drag that constantly betray you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
3K vassals are good, and you can even diploannex them. I'm totally down for factions like HE, Empire, dawi having that instead of the current broke rear end confederation mechanic.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Did I miss dwarf chat

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2623995710

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonkish posted:

In theory, you reduce their capabilities enough that they're desperate.

In practice, never because the AI pretty much just rejects vassalage.

When I played a high elfs campaign before the last update, they AI kept doing this prank where they would accept to confederate with me but only if they had no armies, their provinces were sacked to hell and dealing with it all would cost me more than if I had just conquered them.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
My proposed revisions to the current confederatiin system:

change Teo’tiqua so they will fuckin confederate

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mans posted:

When I played a high elfs campaign before the last update, they AI kept doing this prank where they would accept to confederate with me but only if they had no armies, their provinces were sacked to hell and dealing with it all would cost me more than if I had just conquered them.

Honestly the main purpose of confederating factions is to steal their LLs, so you could view that as the cost of recruiting Alarielle/Tyrion/Eltharion/whoever.

Confederating randoms is almost never worth it unless you can get them relatively intact for no real effort, which basically only ever happens via faction mechanics(greenskin/norscan beating their leader up, bretonnian research, or imperial authority).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 30, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Vlad with instant quest battles is a pretty fun campaign.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
My main complaint with vampire counts these days is that every single LL plays the exact same.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

My main complaint with vampire counts these days is that every single LL plays the exact same.
At least Kemmler gets a different start location but otherwise yeah, they are basically all the same. Even then they all generally follow the same progression of "rush free skeletons, drown enemies in skeletons+heroes", with just slight variation in hero power.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kanos posted:

Honestly the main purpose of confederating factions is to steal their LLs, so you could view that as the cost of recruiting Alarielle/Tyrion/Eltharion/whoever.

Confederating randoms is almost never worth it unless you can get them relatively intact for no real effort, which basically only ever happens via faction mechanics(greenskin/norscan beating their leader up, bretonnian research, or imperial authority).

Maybe I've been playing on too low a difficulty, but dorfs seem rather happy to confed the second their neighbor gets bigger than them. (Now that I've typed that, I'm never getting another unscripted confed again am I?)

Diplomacy in the game is pretty rough tho, yea. The notification spam is particularly awful.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Thank God for that mod that automatically declines all diplomacy offers during the AI's turns

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

DaysBefore posted:

Thank God for that mod that automatically declines all diplomacy offers during the AI's turns

You can't post this without linking the mod....how have I played without that for so long?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like to see my enemies grovel before me, throwing ever increasing amounts of currency in a desperate plea for peace

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

stackofflapjacks posted:

You can't post this without linking the mod....how have I played without that for so long?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1467711265&searchtext=diplomacy+offers

here ya go fellow ham

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mans posted:

Yep, that's WH1/2 diplomacy in a nutshell. "gently caress you, unless I'm completely hosed and thus any benefits you might receive from confederation or vassalage are immediately and massively harmful to you."

I'm REALLY hoping the WH3 diplomacy changes include something akin to 3K's systems for, like, quick deals and whatnot. The diplomacy in 3K was one of its highlights, and WH diplomacy is just SO loving FRUSTRATING FOR NO REASON.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They can improve 3K's quick deal system even more by having a button to automatically max out the money you can squeeze out of a deal/have to pay to get a deal.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Did 3k do what Troy did? When you want a deal of some sort you can actually see what the gold and other things you offer are worth as you are on the diplomacy screen.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Nash posted:

Did 3k do what Troy did? When you want a deal of some sort you can actually see what the gold and other things you offer are worth as you are on the diplomacy screen.

Yes, and generally enemies were somewhat reasonable in diplomacy unless you executed all their dudes in which case they'd probably fight to the bitter end.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah it just gives a flat negative numerical value to everything you want, and a positive value to what the A.I wants; if the deal adds up to a positive the A.I will accept, simple as.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RoyalScion posted:

Yes, and generally enemies were somewhat reasonable in diplomacy unless you executed all their dudes in which case they'd probably fight to the bitter end.

Very realistic. I think the main reason Liu Bei seized power in Jing province to continue the fight against Cao Cao was his fear that Cao Cao would have him executed after his involvement in Emperor Liu Xie's assassination attempt. The Three Kingdoms period wouldn't even have got started if Liu Bei could expect mercy from Cao Cao.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

queef anxiety posted:

Ah man if they managed to get the engine to integrate changing terrain and AoS style faction structures giving buffs like giant ogre cauldrons id apologise for every CA whine I've had over the years

I mean, they are adding deployable and deconstructable barricades and the like to sieges. And I though I remembered some Lore of Ice spell that had a walling effect.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think there's an Total War: Age of Sigmar game in the future?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arglebargle III posted:

Very realistic. I think the main reason Liu Bei seized power in Jing province to continue the fight against Cao Cao was his fear that Cao Cao would have him executed after his involvement in Emperor Liu Xie's assassination attempt. The Three Kingdoms period wouldn't even have got started if Liu Bei could expect mercy from Cao Cao.

Cao Cao murdered Lü Boshe and his whole household, who had given him refuge, for personal benefit. The righteous Liu Xuande was correct to fear the monster and fight him to the last.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Given that their relationship with GW seems to be quite good (to someone completely outside of it, mind), I'd imagine that it could be possible at some point. Maybe not right now, since GW is using the Total Warhams to promote The Old World stuff, but at some point in the future? Possibly.

CA might try to put out a 40k game, too, though exactly what form that would take I have no idea. Or they could simply do neither and end it with WH3.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I'd like to see a pure rts warhammer with unit production buildings, resources, and such on the battlefield. I know it's not the CA total war formula, but I think it could work.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

That's honestly a tough one. Cause, like everyone loves money, so it makes sense both GW and CA would be chomping at the bit since TW:WH nearing it's end of life. But AoS gameplay doesn't lend itself to the total war style. But then, strictly speaking if you look at the typical army point game most people played, neither does Warhammer Fantasy! So maybe the skirmish style could work. And then also, the map doesn't lend itself to total war, because its all infinite planes filled with absolute nonsense landmarks. But! That also means they could also just make their own maps willy nilly. So, maybe it would lend itself even MORE towards a total war game than a historical or 'set' fantasy game? Because they could say "This is the planes of Slaughtergrombula, you must take control of the Castle of Grargle Dargle before the BloodArch Confrublagrabulators claim the Dread Zilharfazard of Elparius Con-Zel-Farius" and this is of equal validity to the existing lore. And they could make the map more conforming to the TW gameplay style vs taking an existing map and making the TW style fit to it.

So yeah hard to say. I would be surprised if it wasn't already currently being discussed by overpaid business dinguses though. And also, I remember a lot of huge dummies, big dumb dummy dums saying that Three Kingdoms wouldn't work in a total war game and it turned out they were wrong and dumb so anything is possible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Chad Jihad posted:

That's honestly a tough one. Cause, like everyone loves money, so it makes sense both GW and CA would be chomping at the bit since TW:WH nearing it's end of life. But AoS gameplay doesn't lend itself to the total war style. But then, strictly speaking if you look at the typical army point game most people played, neither does Warhammer Fantasy! So maybe the skirmish style could work. And then also, the map doesn't lend itself to total war, because its all infinite planes filled with absolute nonsense landmarks. But! That also means they could also just make their own maps willy nilly. So, maybe it would lend itself even MORE towards a total war game than a historical or 'set' fantasy game? Because they could say "This is the planes of Slaughtergrombula, you must take control of the Castle of Grargle Dargle before the BloodArch Confrublagrabulators claim the Dread Zilharfazard of Elparius Con-Zel-Farius" and this is of equal validity to the existing lore. And they could make the map more conforming to the TW gameplay style vs taking an existing map and making the TW style fit to it.

So yeah hard to say. I would be surprised if it wasn't already currently being discussed by overpaid business dinguses though. And also, I remember a lot of huge dummies, big dumb dummy dums saying that Three Kingdoms wouldn't work in a total war game and it turned out they were wrong and dumb so anything is possible.

The Mortal Realms, are more defined then that and not Infinite. But yes there is more then enough space for someone to just make their own map. I do agree it would not make the most sense towards Total War, as the factions in AoS tend to be smaller than Fantasy ones with exceptions. (They could always create stuff to fill in gaps however.)
The Map I think would be one of the most interesting parts of a potential AoS TW. Cause I would assume it would make the most sense to create 3 or so maps each representing a different realm, and then there would be Realmgates spread across the map that allow you to teleport armies between the maps and across large distances on them. This would create very strange borders, but could be interesting.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The Gadfly posted:

I'd like to see a pure rts warhammer with unit production buildings, resources, and such on the battlefield. I know it's not the CA total war formula, but I think it could work.

It absolutely works. There were multiple traditional RTS games for 40K, no reason there couldn't be Warhammer: Ye Olde Dawne Of War.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Frontier is working on an Sigmarine RTS and I guess I just assumed it will have base building.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Arglebargle III posted:

It would be an incredibly dumb decision to make such a game instead of Total Warhammer 40k, might as well use the setting that is actually popular.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
AoE4 is dope as hell and hopefully CoH3 works out so Relic can redeem themselves for DoW3.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ojetor posted:

It would be an incredibly dumb decision to make such a game instead of Total Warhammer 40k, might as well use the setting that is actually popular.

AoS does gangbusters. There's more people playing it (before pandemic) in a given gaming store than I ever saw playing WHFB. Much like Storm of Chaos being an Archaon circlejerk, AoS being a failure is nerd telephone. The initial release sucked rear end but it got back on its feet and is, in fact, popular in every place that doesn't include WHFB grogs.

Also all the undead, chaos, and FISH AELFS fit perfectly into fantasy and should be DLCs for Ham 3.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 31, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

AoS does gangbusters. There's more people playing it (before pandemic) in a given gaming store than I ever saw playing WHFB. Much like Storm of Chaos being an Archaon circlejerk, AoS being a failure is nerd telephone. The initial release sucked rear end but it got back on its feet and is, in fact, popular in every place that doesn't include WHFB grogs.

Also all the undead, chaos, and FISH AELFS fit perfectly into fantasy and should be DLCs for Ham 3.

I don't think grognards are saying that AoS is currently selling poorly, but rather that they preferred WHF to it. Regardless, that's not the point.

People like Warhammer Fantasy. We are in the TW thread discussing the 3rd game of its successful series.

Poeple love 40k. There are umpteen games out there using its fluff, all doing.. poo poo, actually, since GW sells their IP to the lowest bidder and we keep getting half-baked games. But the fluff is still popular!

So, for the context of the post you're quoting, no, this isn't people poo-pooing AoS over the holy grail of TT fantasy, its saying that if you're taking a successful tactical Warhammer series and branching off from Fantasy, 40k is a no-brainer choice. See also: Dawn of War.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

toasterwarrior posted:

AoE4 is dope as hell and hopefully CoH3 works out so Relic can redeem themselves for DoW3.

It was always so weird to me that they never followed up on DoW2 with a third installment.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Azran posted:

It was always so weird to me that they never followed up on DoW2 with a third installment.

Yes. It would have made perfect sense! Just keep the tactics focus of 2, add more factions, add a map like in Dark Crusade, expand last-stand mode and update the graphics. What could have gone wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Azran posted:

Offtopic but yea, it's been ages since we had a new Command and Conquer games, C&C3 was ages ago and and kinda tepid. Tragic, really!

It's astonishing how capable big studios are at killing off their own franchises. It's not even a case of "this game is wishy-washy and kinda poo poo, oh well" as Tomb Raider kept plugging on for decades. You have to change everything and dump a crapton of money into making a game that nobody wants, then throw a tanty and bin the IP after the poo poo sandwich fails to sell. Amazing, really.