Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Congrats! Is it 1st or 2nd gen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Steakandchips posted:

Bought it and it arrived this afternoon:

i like how these two pictures imply that you charge it with a usb phone charger

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

i like how these two pictures imply that you charge it with a usb phone charger
Volts is volts, friend

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You crazy bastard! I'm jealous. Nice to see these getting into the wild.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Grats bud. Do a wheelie :getin:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks guys, here's another pic:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Congrats! Is it 1st or 2nd gen?

Didn't know there was a 2nd gen. It's a 2020 model.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

You planning in using that on your semi regular commute to london?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The new, 2nd gen Livewire has no Harley Davidson graphics anywhere and sold as if it's a different brand altogether. It's also $20k usd, which is way more reasonable in my opinion. Not sure what they cut out to meet that target price

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

The new, 2nd gen Livewire has no Harley Davidson graphics anywhere and sold as if it's a different brand altogether. It's also $20k usd, which is way more reasonable in my opinion. Not sure what they cut out to meet that target price

Pretty obvious

Steakandchips posted:

Your bad photo skills are just legendary

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

I've never looked for a schematic, but what is actually in that huge dong underneath?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

The exhaust, duh

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've never looked for a schematic, but what is actually in that huge dong underneath?

It's robot kibble, that actually is the groin when it turns into bot mode.

(In seriousness that's where the motor lives. There's some covers and a skid plate hiding it.)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

like Phy said, the dong is the motor, the stuff above it with the cooling fins, etc. is the battery pack and electronics

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
That's the motor, H-D put it in longitudinally so they could get some gear whine out of a 90deg bevel. It's the most Harley thing on the bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey guys I think it's the motor.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah but my answer kinda dunked on H-D, which makes it valued CA content :colbert:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Phy posted:

that actually is the groin when it turns into bot mode.

This is the best and most correct answer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The website with no mention of Harley Davidson

https://www.livewire.com/#livewire-one-specs

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nitrox posted:

The website with no mention of Harley Davidson

https://www.livewire.com/#livewire-one-specs

Harley's inability to do anything new approaches clinical dysfunction

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

mewse posted:

Harley's inability to do anything new approaches clinical dysfunction

Harley has spent decades marketing themselves as a very specific lifestyle brand. The end result is that HD owners don't want to be associated with EV's, and EV owners don't want to be associated with HD.

Kind of sad that it is so bad that they literally had to spin off the brand in order for it to stand a chance.

They are more than capable of doing new stuff, but they can't sell it for..... reasons.

helno fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 29, 2021

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I guess it's similar to Toyota and Lexus.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

HD has spun Livewire off into its own brand with its own dealers, very few of which exist yet.

As an example, here's the dealer map for the US:

I live in Ohio; the closest dealers to me are in Vermont, or New York City.

Energica, the little boutique Italian electric motorcycle company, currently has a better US dealer network than the brand spun off by Harley loving Davidson

Sorry folks, this screams HD/Buell 2.0

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ak Gara posted:

Nothing alike? Toyota and Lexus are super clear about being the same thing and iirc the only reason Lexus was even created was that the US put number of vehicle per brand import restrictions up at the behest of Detroit.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Good old "free" market of the US.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheBacon posted:

Nothing alike? Toyota and Lexus are super clear about being the same thing and iirc the only reason Lexus was even created was that the US put number of vehicle per brand import restrictions up at the behest of Detroit.

Yeah, until fairly recently jdm Lexus models were just Toyotas at the top of the range - gs300 was the aristo, ls400 was the celsior etc

The hd/livewire thing is more like a 200yo whiskey distillery deciding to produce alcopops on the side, under a different brand, so they don't piss off all the caskies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ulf posted:

Yeah but my answer kinda dunked on H-D, which makes it valued CA content :colbert:

This guy gets it

Jazzzzz posted:

HD has spun Livewire off into its own brand with its own dealers, very few of which exist yet.

As an example, here's the dealer map for the US:

I live in Ohio; the closest dealers to me are in Vermont, or New York City.

Sorry folks, this screams HD/Buell 2.0

Lol at Harley not putting a dealership in Milwaukee of all places.

I keep saying this, I want the live wire to do well, but it really feels like Harley did everything in their power to set it up to fail

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I keep saying this, I want the live wire to do well, but it really feels like Harley did everything in their power to set it up to fail

“Look here are mr congressman. You need to make us exempt from any electrification laws, we tried look at the Livewire. It just didn’t work out economically”.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*electrimification

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They will ship and service livewire bikes to/at any HD dealer in the country. I don't know what that map is, but it sure ain't the reality. Call your local HD dealer and they will have one for you ready to go.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitrox posted:

They will ship and service livewire bikes to/at any HD dealer in the country. I don't know what that map is, but it sure ain't the reality. Call your local HD dealer and they will have one for you ready to go.

Yeah but what if you want to look at it/touch it/sit on it/ or *gasp* take it for a test ride, before putting all the money down?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

This article disagrees - FWIW, it's referencing an FAQ page on the Livewire website that I can't find:

quote:

The reduced price also means a reduced dealer network, unfortunately. From LiveWire’s FAQ page, only authorized LiveWire Stores, not Harley-Davidson dealers, can sell and service LiveWire ONEs. LiveWire currently has stores in California, Texas and New York. They will not ship motorcycles beyond 50 miles from a store and their store locator won't show any results at all if you are more than 150 miles away.

That map is the dealer locator straight off the loving Livewire.com website - https://www.livewire.com/locations - it's absolutely reality, and you're talking out of your rear end

You can still go buy an HD-branded Livewire at any Harley dealer who might have one in stock, and you'll pay $7,000 more than the Livewire branded one to do so. HD isn't making any more of them though, so act fast!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Saving up my down payment for probably a KLR 650 and am debating when I should try to go pull the trigger. I know standard down payment (especially with so-so credit like mine) is 10-20%. I'm working extra hours at work that make it easy to predict what extra funds I can put towards this.

Adding in estimated destination fees, registration, and title, I should have 10% down by early January. If I want to get closer to 15%, I'll have it by the end of January and I can have a full 20% down by April (not counting tax return money I should be able to kick in).

I'm a little worried about dealer stock because of ... everything, so I'd like to do this sooner than later, but if I'm wasting my time trying to get qualified with a 10% down payment, then that just is what it is and I can wait.

Anyone have any inside scoop on what stock should look like over the coming months for the KLR and the 2022 Vstroms (which I haven't actually seen make it to any local dealerships yet)? Or if we even have a way to monitor that at all?

I don't want all the ABS versions to dry up before I can go nab one. Though by then, the new Vstroms may be out and I'll be doing some different math anyway.

I've always drove poo poo heaps and paid for my scooters with cash/privately secured credit, so this whole financing thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I'm in my 40's, been at the same job for more than 5 years, and have plenty of credit history, but I am definitely still recovering from a divorce and foreclosure back when everyone was getting divorced and foreclosed on. No longer on my credit, but it's still building back up. I want a new bike for a variety of reasons and have accepted that this means dealing with credit scores and percentages and poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know anything about financing but I know that financing a klr650 is a massively terrible idea.

They depreciate like rocks, they are a godawful motorcycle by just about every metric, they are terrible value for money, don't get one for the love of god. Buying one brand new, on finance, is completely crazy.

What you're looking for is a tenere 700 or a vstrom/versys 650 or perhaps a cb500x or nc750x.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If you can get them in your market then there's also the CFMoto 650MT and Voge 500DS which might be worth a look at.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Voge 500DS

I was gonna be all :chloe: but then immediately realized it's still better than a KLR

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Geekboy posted:

Saving up my down payment for probably a KLR 650 and am debating when I should try to go pull the trigger. I know standard down payment (especially with so-so credit like mine) is 10-20%. I'm working extra hours at work that make it easy to predict what extra funds I can put towards this.

Adding in estimated destination fees, registration, and title, I should have 10% down by early January. If I want to get closer to 15%, I'll have it by the end of January and I can have a full 20% down by April (not counting tax return money I should be able to kick in).

I'm a little worried about dealer stock because of ... everything, so I'd like to do this sooner than later, but if I'm wasting my time trying to get qualified with a 10% down payment, then that just is what it is and I can wait.

Anyone have any inside scoop on what stock should look like over the coming months for the KLR and the 2022 Vstroms (which I haven't actually seen make it to any local dealerships yet)? Or if we even have a way to monitor that at all?

I don't want all the ABS versions to dry up before I can go nab one. Though by then, the new Vstroms may be out and I'll be doing some different math anyway.

I've always drove poo poo heaps and paid for my scooters with cash/privately secured credit, so this whole financing thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I'm in my 40's, been at the same job for more than 5 years, and have plenty of credit history, but I am definitely still recovering from a divorce and foreclosure back when everyone was getting divorced and foreclosed on. No longer on my credit, but it's still building back up. I want a new bike for a variety of reasons and have accepted that this means dealing with credit scores and percentages and poo poo.

The KLR is disliked around here for valid reasons but I just find it tough to justify financing a new bike with a design that hasn't changed in decades. The DR650 or Vstrom are better choices, have you looked into financing a used one (or KLR, if you must) through your bank?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If buying on finance there's also the brand new Tiger 660 to have a look at, it's significantly more expensive outright than the rest but might not be so bad on HP or similar. Tracer 7 is yet another to consider too, as is the Duke 390 Adventure if you don't mind going a bit smaller displacement.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Geekboy posted:

I will also reiterate that if you think a DR650 is not the bike you’re looking for, a KLR definitely isn’t. VStrom still sounds like a good target for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Regardless of the bike I choose months from now, the numbers are what I’m interested in. I can change my mind five times, but still need to plan the financial portion.

A new vehicle of any sort is always a terrible investment. I don’t view it in those terms. It’s a matter of whether burning that money is worth it to me or not.