Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lutron Caseta dimmer switch starter kit for $79, usually $99:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15361078-lutron-caseta-smart-start-kit-dimmer-switch-with-smart-bridge-and-wall-mount-pico-adapter-79-95

Been eyeballing these forever, and now that I'm just about done going down the Hue rabbit hole, I figure it's a good time to start on the next :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m eyeing this thing on Amazon, good idea/bad idea?

Deal of the day: Shark IQ Self-Empty Base Robot Vacuum, Wi-Fi, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S864GPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dl_Z1XTF5MT1EG0RFPJHZ3R

I’m looking for a robot vacuum that will pick up long-hair cat hair well and will work on both linoleum hard flooring and carpet, and works with Alexa.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: never mind, I can’t read

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a smart bulb for outdoors (under eaves so not getting wet) PAR20 flood style bulbs? Preferably Homekit compatible but I do have a home automation pi going so could connect them up to that I think. I would really like colour changeable too for festive looks.

I have a few ikea Tradfri bulbs around the house right now but nothing this style (and I would be reluctant to put tradfri outside, they're kind of cheap)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hue has PARs I believe.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

I’m eyeing this thing on Amazon, good idea/bad idea?

Deal of the day: Shark IQ Self-Empty Base Robot Vacuum, Wi-Fi, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S864GPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dl_Z1XTF5MT1EG0RFPJHZ3R

I’m looking for a robot vacuum that will pick up long-hair cat hair well and will work on both linoleum hard flooring and carpet, and works with Alexa.

I've got one of those, short haired cat in an apartment. I ended up having to tape over the sensors because it would think it was going to die if it went over my dark brown shag rug, but other than that, works a peach.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Uh oh, I too have a brown carpet.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but my Google Home Hub stopped showing up on Chrome's list of devices I can cast to, both on PC and Android. Is there a way to refresh it? It's been like this a few months and restarting the hub doesn't help.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Well, I completely retract my C by GE recommendation for switches that don't require a neutral. At first they were great, but I had one die and the rest started developing WiFi issues, randomly resetting, dimming the lights, etc.

So I bit the bullet and replaced them all with Lutron Caseta, which has now come down in price to be roughly in sync with the C although the C has come down a bit too. So basically I wasted all that money on a C system to replace it with the Lutron system I was trying to save money by not buying.

Overall though, the Lutron dimmers actually feel cheaper than the C dimmers and my husband really prefers the appearence of the C dimmers with their light circle.

That said, I'm pretty sure our house has some sort of weird RF interference in the 2.4 band because weird WiFi issues seem to crop up pretty frequently, I have 3 WiFi mesh nodes to cover 1,400 sqft, I'm planning in the next year or so to rip all that out and install a Ubiquity system in the ceiling, but we just dropped a bunch of money on another home improvement project, so I think that is going to have to wait a bit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but my Google Home Hub stopped showing up on Chrome's list of devices I can cast to, both on PC and Android. Is there a way to refresh it? It's been like this a few months and restarting the hub doesn't help.

What if you try to play music on it with Assistant? Does it show in the Home app as "casting to" said display?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Overall though, the Lutron dimmers actually feel cheaper than the C dimmers and my husband really prefers the appearence of the C dimmers with their light circle.

This is probably the most common complaint about them… you get over it pretty quick though. I do wish the basic switch had the middle favorite preset though; you have to either put a Pico up or buy the more advanced version (that can do ELV, needs a neutral) to get that feature.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wondering if any of you smart folks can help me out. I have a Nest Learning Thermostat and a Nest Temperature Sensor. The Sensor is in a back bedroom that doesn't get great airflow from my HVAC. I want a way to set thresholds (low temp/high temp) to trigger a smart plug to turn on/off a fan / heater / whatever. My house is a Google house, Google Wifi and smart speakers and a hub. I can't find a native way to do it through Google. SmartThings doesn't recognize the temp sensor, Google hates IFTTT apparently. Anyone have any ideas?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Home Assistant ('s data recorder functionality) shat itself tonight over the (European?) daylight saving switch. How is this still a thing these days?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lutron Caseta dimmer switch starter kit for $79, usually $99:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15361078-lutron-caseta-smart-start-kit-dimmer-switch-with-smart-bridge-and-wall-mount-pico-adapter-79-95

Been eyeballing these forever, and now that I'm just about done going down the Hue rabbit hole, I figure it's a good time to start on the next :sigh:

Just installed this. Super easy and works great.

I can see the complaints about it kinda feeling on the “cheap” side since the buttons have some jiggle to them. And I can already anticipate my wife and kids getting annoyed because the dimmer isn’t a physical slider, rather pushable buttons. And it seems that the up/down buttons need to be held for a half-second before it’ll move the dimmer level instead of just a quick push.

That said, I already want to buy more.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Home Assistant ('s data recorder functionality) shat itself tonight over the (European?) daylight saving switch. How is this still a thing these days?

https://youtu.be/-5wpm-gesOY

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just installed this. Super easy and works great.

I can see the complaints about it kinda feeling on the “cheap” side since the buttons have some jiggle to them. And I can already anticipate my wife and kids getting annoyed because the dimmer isn’t a physical slider, rather pushable buttons. And it seems that the up/down buttons need to be held for a half-second before it’ll move the dimmer level instead of just a quick push.

That said, I already want to buy more.

FWIW, it gets a lot less annoying if you use Home app / automations / voice control to set the brightnesses + using the ‘favorite’ preset.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

This has been extremely irritating to get working

Thankfully it’s still hosed up and not trying to turn my house into the sun while I’m out

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

movax posted:

FWIW, it gets a lot less annoying if you use Home app / automations / voice control to set the brightnesses + using the ‘favorite’ preset.

Yeah I have it on automation and always use Siri to control stuff, but my wife and kids aren’t as fancy. I just now got them to use Siri for the kitchen Hues instead of turning the switch off and me wondering why my automations aren’t working.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I've been putting off smart door locks for awhile, because I've been planning on replacing my front door... anyways, it's been almost 18 months and that has not happened yet.

I'm looking for something that:
  • always allows for a mechanical key as a failsafe if battery is dead / no internet. Has to be a loving lock above all else.
  • HomeKit compatible directly, or via HomeBridge Plugin
  • Alexa-integration a plus
  • Functions in the total absence of Internet connectivity / doesn't have blog posts from pen-testers mocking how terrible it is
  • No (current) need to support frequent guest users / AirBnB-type operation.

I do have a functional security system as a fallback / defending against literally breaking down the door, as a fail-safe. That's a wired contact sensor run to a 5800C2W converter which links up to my Lyric and is connected to HomeKit, so I have positive state knowledge of the door.

The Level Lock (Touch) seems very slick and meets most of the above, and some of its misses I can fill in with my other systems. Any thoughts?

Also, just spitballing here... my doorframe is 'wired' up already with a path for the door contact sensor + my G4 doorbell. I don't like batteries out of principle as they are consumables and the planet could use a break. How insane am I if I try to electrify the actual deadbolt / rig up some kind of wireless power transfer system + replace the battery in the unit with a supercap? Anyone try something like that before? Just seems like a fun engineering project and if it already runs "for a year" off a CR2 battery, I don't need that much power.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeh, but Home Assistant survived the change just fine last year. And the host OS is being kept current.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The first time I set up the new robot vacuum today, my cat Finn was next to me on the floor and he was sniffing at it, and then it said “WIFI MODE ENABLED” out loud and Finn jumped straight up like 2 feet.

Happy Halloween! :devil: :drac: :spooky: :yarr: :yohoho:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My toddlers stomp on my roomba/braava jet and ram them with their cars. Be thankful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

movax posted:

I've been putting off smart door locks for awhile, because I've been planning on replacing my front door... anyways, it's been almost 18 months and that has not happened yet.

I'm looking for something that:
  • always allows for a mechanical key as a failsafe if battery is dead / no internet. Has to be a loving lock above all else.
  • HomeKit compatible directly, or via HomeBridge Plugin
  • Alexa-integration a plus
  • Functions in the total absence of Internet connectivity / doesn't have blog posts from pen-testers mocking how terrible it is
  • No (current) need to support frequent guest users / AirBnB-type operation.

I do have a functional security system as a fallback / defending against literally breaking down the door, as a fail-safe. That's a wired contact sensor run to a 5800C2W converter which links up to my Lyric and is connected to HomeKit, so I have positive state knowledge of the door.

The Level Lock (Touch) seems very slick and meets most of the above, and some of its misses I can fill in with my other systems. Any thoughts?

Also, just spitballing here... my doorframe is 'wired' up already with a path for the door contact sensor + my G4 doorbell. I don't like batteries out of principle as they are consumables and the planet could use a break. How insane am I if I try to electrify the actual deadbolt / rig up some kind of wireless power transfer system + replace the battery in the unit with a supercap? Anyone try something like that before? Just seems like a fun engineering project and if it already runs "for a year" off a CR2 battery, I don't need that much power.

Have you looked at Schlage? My smart locks have a physical key slot, and doesn't require anything external for me to actually use it. Not sure about HomeKit and/or Alexa, I've got mine paired with Google Home, they've got a few different products with different connectivity (Bluetooth, Wifi, ZWave, Zigbee) with slightly different compatibility with smart services. I went with the Bluetooth version paired with a wifi adapter (because that was cheaper than 2 wifi locks).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Have you looked at Schlage? My smart locks have a physical key slot, and doesn't require anything external for me to actually use it. Not sure about HomeKit and/or Alexa, I've got mine paired with Google Home, they've got a few different products with different connectivity (Bluetooth, Wifi, ZWave, Zigbee) with slightly different compatibility with smart services. I went with the Bluetooth version paired with a wifi adapter (because that was cheaper than 2 wifi locks).

Agreed. I like my Schlage locks (zwave).

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there anything like a schlage Z-wave but if I have my iphone/apple watch on my person it will just unlock/press to unlock?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hed posted:

Is there anything like a schlage Z-wave but if I have my iphone/apple watch on my person it will just unlock/press to unlock?

That can be done with presence detection via your hub. For example, you can set your hub to unlock the door if it sees your phone join the wifi or if your phone has a certain gps location.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Okay so let’s say I have a regular deadbolt front door but also a security screen door, and I want to put automated (ideally Alexa-controlled) locks on both. I know doing the regular front door deadbolt is easy, but the challenge is the security door - it only makes sense to do both, because if I only do the front door but then I still have to open the security door with a key anyway, then what was the point?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Getting deep into camera land and getting a little lost. For my new house I’m gonna go the PoE + NVR camera setup instead of cloud stuff. I know I want to VLAN my camera network but I’m a little unclear on network hardware I need.

Right now I have a dumb PoE switch (enough ports and juice for cams I want) and some google wifi pucks. I think I want another managed switch for everything, and then the camera stuff will be on a vlan on the poe switch. And then I need a router that doesn’t suck. Do I just get a consumer router and put something like dd-wrt on it? I don’t want to spend $$$$$ on “business class” hardware for what is gonna be a simple 2-vlan (subnet?) setup but these features seem rare in consumer stuff. Also I don’t have the room or want old enterprise rackmount stuff. I don’t need any fancy wifi 6e or whatever, basic gig net will do.

If all that makes sense I would also be replacing my other google wifi puck with an access point instead of mesh, that just lives on the normal non-camera network.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Infinotize posted:

Getting deep into camera land and getting a little lost. For my new house I’m gonna go the PoE + NVR camera setup instead of cloud stuff. I know I want to VLAN my camera network but I’m a little unclear on network hardware I need.

Right now I have a dumb PoE switch (enough ports and juice for cams I want) and some google wifi pucks. I think I want another managed switch for everything, and then the camera stuff will be on a vlan on the poe switch. And then I need a router that doesn’t suck. Do I just get a consumer router and put something like dd-wrt on it? I don’t want to spend $$$$$ on “business class” hardware for what is gonna be a simple 2-vlan (subnet?) setup but these features seem rare in consumer stuff. Also I don’t have the room or want old enterprise rackmount stuff. I don’t need any fancy wifi 6e or whatever, basic gig net will do.

If all that makes sense I would also be replacing my other google wifi puck with an access point instead of mesh, that just lives on the normal non-camera network.
There are cheap-ish consumer switches with vlan support. I've got a 16-port Netgear that works fine. Also, business class stuff is cheap on the used market, but often noisy.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You need to route between the two vlans so it’s more than a soho router. DDWRT can do it.

Simplest setup might be NVR with two interfaces, one on home and one connected to that POE switch for cameras.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yeah, looking like I’m going to go the dd-wrt router way and get another managed switch and that should keep everything reasonably priced. My network closet is a cubby in the master closet so the hardware has to be compact and ideally noiseless but I found some 8 port switches that will satisfy that.

I’m going to build a blueiris PC as a NVR so it will have dual nics. I guess you’re saying that I wouldn’t necessarily even need any different equipment if the cams all lived on a separate switch that was only connected to the NVR and not directly to the router?

Okay this is making more sense now, thanks.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Throwing homeassistant on the qnap. Is there a recomended zwave usb stick I should be using.

If Im starting my place from scratch zwave is more sensible over ZigBee right? I'm ok spending the money, reliability is my number 1 concern

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you look at my recent posts itt someone recommended a stick that does both. Super reliable so far.

My switches are Zwave but ZigBee is an IEEE standard, you’ll come across both on your journey

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

w00tmonger posted:

Throwing homeassistant on the qnap. Is there a recomended zwave usb stick I should be using.

If Im starting my place from scratch zwave is more sensible over ZigBee right? I'm ok spending the money, reliability is my number 1 concern

From a practical standpoint you can go with either, or mix-and-match if you get a hub/stick that does both.

There are technical differences between the two standards, but it is unlikely that the average home user will even notice them.

My recommendation:
HUSBZB-1 Zigbee/Z-Wave USB Stick

I have this, and it works great with HomeAssistant running on a Pi3.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

LastInLine posted:

What if you try to play music on it with Assistant? Does it show in the Home app as "casting to" said display?

Yes, it shows up in the Home app and I can pause/play from the Home app as well.

e: loving around with this fixed it, of course. Thanks!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

anybody taken over a house that has Insteon stuff before? it's all setup with an Insteon hub (and mostly fired through Alexa voice/actions), so should I just have them transfer the account to me? I'm going to move it to hass anyway, just dunno if it's easier to start fresh or what.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Need to buy a thermostat to go with home assistant at my new place.

I was previously running an ecobee with its sensors, but Is there a better route to go that implements a simpler thermostat and some other occupancy/temp sensors?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yes, it shows up in the Home app and I can pause/play from the Home app as well.

e: loving around with this fixed it, of course. Thanks!

It broadcasts itself on the network in some weird way and I figured that'd get it to announce itself to the other devices. Glad to hear it worked, it was my only idea.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

+nthing the HUSBZB-1. It's been just fine on Z-Wave for me, no issues. At least one that's out there has a battery and a button so you can take it with you for device inclusion, but I haven't had so many things as to need that feature.

I have to say it's been a bit eye opening how much work has gone into projects like ZWaveJS and HomeAssistant to try and put the solution together. It almost seems too polished sometimes.

I wish I'd understood a bit better how some of the underlying pieces worked, so I would have been less frustrated about Zjs2MQTT and missing entities, devices that don't seem to update but have a delta threshold I didn't know existed. Once things clicked it's become much easier to take more steps and do some really neat things with HA and these sensors and toys. But it still is a project and really lends itself to tinkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

From a practical standpoint you can go with either, or mix-and-match if you get a hub/stick that does both.

There are technical differences between the two standards, but it is unlikely that the average home user will even notice them.

My recommendation:
HUSBZB-1 Zigbee/Z-Wave USB Stick

I have this, and it works great with HomeAssistant running on a Pi3.

Does it show up as two serial devices? I’m wondering how it would work with zigbee2mqtt and zwavejs2mqtt. Right now I have two separate dongles, Conbee II that I’ve had fail on me once and a Aeotec Z-Stick that has been completely solid. If I have another problem with the Conbee I’m probably going to switch to the HUSBZB-1.