Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

feedmegin posted:

Handwashing dishes is nothing like not wiping your rear end you complete loon.

He's literally right, though - the break-even point for where a dishwasher uses less water and energy is surprisingly low.

e: Though about half the arguments for that that I can find assume you leave the tap running from start to finish :v:

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Dishwashers are objectively better.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miserable Maid posted:

A LOT of stuff Eurogoons get confused about in the US is almost always infrastructure differences, like the electric differential.
The U.S. is freaking GIGANTIC, like massive, enormous. Amd this leads to many differences and challenges that WestEuropeans don't deal with at all.

Take a look at the European Union on a map. It's not exactly small. Russia is also freaking GIGANTIC like massive, enormous and seems to manage 220v power just fine. You're just bad at electric, sorry.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Computer viking posted:

He's literally right, though - the break-even point for where a dishwasher uses less water and energy is surprisingly low.

e: Though about half the arguments for that that I can find assume you leave the tap running from start to finish :v:

Which you don't, you fill the sink and wash the dishes. But I wasn't talking about power consumption, that wasn't the Reddit OP's problem, I was talking about hygiene. Talking about handwashed dishes as if they must be caked in rotten food is bonkers.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Dishwasher generally consume less energy than hand washing. However, it should be remembered that consumer choices will not prevent global warming. Even though hand washing might be the less efficient option, it is up to the personal choice which is better.

Hand washing is just as good as the dishwasher at getting stuff clean, if not better

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

feedmegin posted:

Take a look at the European Union on a map. It's not exactly small. Russia is also freaking GIGANTIC like massive, enormous and seems to manage 220v power just fine. You're just bad at electric, sorry.

These are often just suggestions here in the US of A. I have old-rear end equipment designed for 110 and we now live in a world of like 125 because that's extra freedom volts or something.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Which you don't, you fill the sink and wash the dishes.

never understood this method of doing it, luckily i have a dishwasher now so :toot:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

feedmegin posted:

Which you don't, you fill the sink and wash the dishes. But I wasn't talking about power consumption, that wasn't the Reddit OP's problem, I was talking about hygiene. Talking about handwashed dishes as if they must be caked in rotten food is bonkers.

Yeah, exactly - and I'll even accept the compromise of turning the water on to rinse and turning it off again, if you're just doing a few things.

As for how clean it is, both do a good enough job, and the OP is just weirdly broken.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

These are often just suggestions here in the US of A. I have old-rear end equipment designed for 110 and we now live in a world of like 125 because that's extra freedom volts or something.

All voltage standards have some acceptable tolerances built in, so it's plausible that 125V is inside the error bars even for old 110V gear. Europe has done a similar thing; the exact standards around the place have been from 220 to 240V, so they just set the new standard to 230V with enough margins to cover both ends. There's enough variation within any system that you have to build some tolerances into the equipment, so it works out.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

spouse posted:

What famous SA post? I have not seen that one.

Also,

WIBTA if I reported a family friend who outed my pregnancy to her place of work?

I have spent my entire life trying very hard *not* to get people pregnant, so I have a limited scope on this one, happy to hear other opinions.

Reddit is up in arms about how issa HIPAA violation, as they always do. I would think, can't you just call this lady up and tell her she's a dumb rear end in a top hat for ruining your pregnancy announcement, that your mom didn't know, it wasn't her right to tell, and if you wanted to, you could get her fired in an instant and you want a sincere apology and a fatass bridal shower gift and then call it good?

She's totally in her right to pursue a complaint if she wants, I work with PHI and I would never share any of it, I get uncomfortable the few times I've come across someone I know in my work, and I'm careful to read as little as possible, but like... I dunno, feels like you could solve this one with a swift backhand without the rings.

Yeah, mom's friend 100% deserves instant termination, do not gently caress with people's healthcare info. Also, she's clearly nebby poo poo-stirrer, pregnancy news is way more private than say, a benign ovarian cyst, and doubly so when the patient is an unmarried 20 year old.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah my first thought from OBGYN receptionist was she does this to make it harder for people to quietly terminate. You don't take that decision away from people, or try to waylay them and cause trouble by sharing that info.

She knows what she's doing, get her fired out of a canon into the sun.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

quote:

I pour food directly from the pan into my mouth, no fuss, no muss.

Quackles posted:

How do you wash the pan?

The same way as anyone else washes cast iron.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Anticheese posted:

Ran under water and then rubbed with vegetable oil and stuffed in the drawer under the sink

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

These stories always end up being carbon monoxide leaks causing severe hallucinations.

Could be infrasound. Certain low frequencies that humans can't hear can still cause stuff in your body to harmonize/vibrate with it.

I remember reading somewhere that an AC unit was putting out some 17 hertz sounds and it was causing certain people's eyeballs to vibrate slightly in the vicinity of it (making them see "ghosts").

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

webmeister posted:

nah it was definitely a girl, unless there's been multiple doge meme sex partners which, well,

edit; found it:

My [23M] Girlfriend's [21F] Inappropriate Behavior, year long relationship, she has an obsession with an internet fad
Not strictly doge, but adjacent and was the one that leapt to mind for me:

13Pandora13 posted:

From r/sex instead of r/relationships...

quote:

My new boyfriend cannot receive a blowjob like a normal human being

Before I begin -- I know this is going to sound like a joke, but please trust that it is real. You can be as skeptical as you want, but I'm the one who has to live out this nightmare.

I [24f] have been dating this new guy [26m] for the past 3 months and it's been going swimmingly. He's charming, funny, not a slob (important), we click, yada yada. The sex is also passionate and usually really good. His head game is on point and I reciprocate often. When giving him a blowjob he is vocal, which can't be said for many guys.

There is only one issue. He has a very "memey" sense of humor, which I generally enjoy. When I'm going down on him, he'll squirm and moan, but will only say variants of

Give me the succ

In the past 3 months I have kept mental note of all of these variant interjections. They include but are not limited to

She succ me
She succ me through my boxers
She succ me with no clothes on
Succ baby succ
I get the succ
All aboard the succ train
How to get the succ
I'm like the Zucc but I get more succ
60 minutes of succ
Succy succy long time
Fat succ
She want to fucc but first she succ
drat she fine when she succ
Deep succ
She succ me to Mars
She succ me to Antarctica
She succ me underground
Gimme dat first-class succ
She got a masters in succ
She got a PhD in succ
Succ as a second language
Suh
Succ me like a hungry baby
Succ me into an existential crisis
Gimme dat succ-out-of-jail-free card
Succ at a 100
The first rule of succ club is give me the succ

I swear this is all he will say. If you don't believe me, I failed nearly every creative writing class in high school so there is no way I could've come up with all that poo poo. At first I thought it was the funniest thing on the planet. It's still funny. But it's hard to do my job when I can't stop cracking up. It's getting to the point where I can't really give him oral anymore because I start cackling even before we begin.

I kind of want him to stop because it's getting old, but then he will pull out some new outlandish phrase and grin devilishly as I struggle to pleasure him without choking on my own laughter. It's interfering with our foreplay at this point. We've spoken about it outside of the bedroom and he doesn't seem to take it seriously because I can't confront him about it without breaking down into bouts of laughter. And I kind of don't know if I want it to stop because it's so god drat ridiculous.

Please help me figure out if this is becoming a problem or if I've entered some sort of succ twilight zone that bestows immortality.
:stare: The internet was a mistake.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dishwashers are objectively better.

But they take much longer than handwashing a few things if you need them now. The way I read the story, and it's happened to me more than once. Is that the OP's friend was cooking and realized she needed a couple of dishes to serve on. She can run the dishwasher and hold up dinner an hour or whatever, or she can hand wash a couple of dishes in a few minutes.

The OP is just a special combination of classist and neurotic.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

kissekatt posted:

I chuckled at "Suh". She was doing such a good job he couldn't even get his one-liner out

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

feedmegin posted:

The US does have 240v ("split phase" - one phase and the neutral gets you 120, both phases together get you 240), delivered to nearly every home. It is used by things like water heaters, ovens, dryers, well pumps, etc., just not regular outlets. It was done to reduce the amount of fault current in the walls back in the days of the US being the first to have electricity in homes at scale and the wire and gear not being so great, and the lightbulb/appliance standard simply remained, because it was fine then and for a very long time. At this point it's simply inertia.

And if you want to talk about bad with electricity, you just have to look at England, where in an effort to save on materials during wartime decided putting so much fault current in the walls that you need to switch and fuse every outlet sounded like a good compromise and then let that inertia continue on long past it's shelf life.

Even worse with electricity is Japan, where they have two completely incompatible grids, one running at 60 Hz and one running at 50 Hz for.....reasons.

Most electrical distribution pretty much everywhere is a poo poo show of legacy garbage that nobody cares enough to figure out how to undo. It's hardly a <country> specific issue.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had to bleach my vegetables growing up because all produce grown in Bangladesh is likely contaminated with human waste.

Both dishwashers and hand-washing are a-okay.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Motronic posted:

The US does have 240v ("split phase" - one phase and the neutral gets you 120, both phases together get you 240), delivered to nearly every home. It is used by things like water heaters, ovens, dryers, well pumps, etc., just not regular outlets. It was done to reduce the amount of fault current in the walls back in the days of the US being the first to have electricity in homes at scale and the wire and gear not being so great, and the lightbulb/appliance standard simply remained, because it was fine then and for a very long time. At this point it's simply inertia.

And if you want to talk about bad with electricity, you just have to look at England, where in an effort to save on materials during wartime decided putting so much fault current in the walls that you need to switch and fuse every outlet sounded like a good compromise and then let that inertia continue on long past it's shelf life.

Even worse with electricity is Japan, where they have two completely incompatible grids, one running at 60 Hz and one running at 50 Hz for.....reasons.

Most electrical distribution pretty much everywhere is a poo poo show of legacy garbage that nobody cares enough to figure out how to undo. It's hardly a <country> specific issue.

I think I've mentioned Norway's IT grid before - there's no neutral anywhere, and what you get at the wall is two or three live phases that are 240V to each other, and something like 130V vs ground. Grounding is to be provided locally. We're slowly moving new big constructions to a "live and neutral" system where you get, uh, 400V? phase to phase and 230V phase to neutral, but anything residential is likely to be IT.

It's not a huge problem or anything, but it is a weird inertia thing. The only real issue is that some car chargers get a bit confused by it.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 31, 2021

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Anticheese posted:

I put my cast iron in the dishwasher.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japan's dual electricity grid is great because a) it leads to a push for stuff that works with both 50 and 60 and b) has resulted in an insane massive power conversion relay between where the two grids meet instead of anything resembling a logical and sensible approach to fixing it that isn't an insane infrastructure over correct bandage thing that is so very Japan

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

Japan's dual electricity grid is great because a) it leads to a push for stuff that works with both 50 and 60

I mean, as far as that goes pretty much anything with a switching power supply will take 90V to 240V, 45-ish to 60-ish Hz and just not care, and this has been common for a decade now. There's just a lot of other stuff (like most appliances) that are going to be more picky. Unfortunately that's the stuff that tends to be expensive, last a long time, and is difficult to remove/replace.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

I mean, as far as that goes pretty much anything with a switching power supply will take 90V to 240V, 45-ish to 60-ish Hz and just not care, and this has been common for a decade now. There's just a lot of other stuff (like most appliances) that are going to be more picky. Unfortunately that's the stuff that tends to be expensive, last a long time, and is difficult to remove/replace.

It has gotten much much better as of late, although its always cool with music equipment and other stuff that used electricity for timing where there are separate switches so it counts properly. It really is a last decade thing with the switching as you note, because you know what really didn't like switching powers? My OG Xbox 360 which tasted Chinese electricity and went to meet Bob.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

it's basically because back when they were starting the process of electrification, tokyo bought generators from germany and osaka bought them from the us. the world was a larger place back then and electrical systems are the poster boy for 100+ year old legacy decisions living on forever

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cowslips Warren posted:

Less water more blood.

AITA For excluding my husband from my brother's funeral after he called me with the news and told me to guess?

The Reddit lady's husband was a total loving monster. I'm only surprised he wasn't recording for TikTok.

Something tells me the husband didn't like his wife's brother very much

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Japan's dual electricity grid is great because a) it leads to a push for stuff that works with both 50 and 60 and b) has resulted in an insane massive power conversion relay between where the two grids meet instead of anything resembling a logical and sensible approach to fixing it that isn't an insane infrastructure over correct bandage thing that is so very Japan

It also can't shift a lot of electricity, so when Fukushima failed, Osaka had enough spare capacity to keep Tokyo running, but it couldn't be transferred.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Johnny Truant posted:

never understood this method of doing it, luckily i have a dishwasher now so :toot:

The soak method lets you save the most caked on stuff for last, giving that stuff a little more time to break up/ soften before your scrub. Or you can scrape those first and then soak to let the water seep in better.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When I have done the soak method of doing dishes, it was a two-step process where one side of the sink was used to clean the dishes of all visible food and grime before separately sterilizing them in clean soapy water untouched by food bits. I have definitely known people who thought throwing all the dishes into a sink and letting them all bathe in cheesy soap soup was adequate, and I did not trust their hygiene. But usually you could tell because their dishes still had bits of grease and other residues and they just thought that was normal apparently. There is no reason to assume a handwashed dish is inherently unclean unless the person who did the washing has also shown poor hygiene practices in other areas of their lives.

Now that I have a dishwasher, handwashing is exclusively for items that can't go in the machine.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

All the arguing about power grids and dishwashers makes me feel like I'm reading a thread about the Technology Connections youtube channel.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Strategic Tea posted:

But you need a separate appliance - the jug that you fill with water and put in the microwave?

No you put the teabag in the cold water in the mug, put that in the microwave and hit the +30 second button 3 times.

You can also leave the spoon in the mug while you microwave if you want to stir in some honey and need another 30 second zap, because spoons don’t have sharp corners. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 31, 2021

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

kissekatt posted:

r/relationships: I’m like the Zucc but I get more succ

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Suh

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I usually just tip the dishwasher $1 per plate.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

lol.

AITA for telling my girlfriend to leave the house because shes not cooking

quote:

I have been with her for 3 years. Over the past 2 days. She has changed a lot.

I work, shes a SAHW, ik its stupid, but she was very good at it over the last year. Did all the chores and cooked amazing food, so I was fine with it. I make enough and have inheritance for the both of us anyways.

Now Friday, I come home to my dirty clothes on the couch, no food for me, (she cooked and ate herself). I was surprised at this. I asked her what was all this and she said she was sick of babying me. I asked her what she meant and she talked to her friend who talked sense into her.

She told my gf that that she was raising a "man child". And that she was becoming a replacement of my mother to me. Since she does everything, all the household stuff, cooking, cleaning, laundry etc... and I hardly know to do that (both completely true). That I was just being a leech and using her as a maid.

I was shocked that she believed all this crap, and we had a huge fight. Next morning, nothing changed . We kept fighting and Saturday evening, i had enough of this. I told her that she would have 10days to leave the apartment. and find herself a place. I told her I wouldnt be her father anymore by paying for everything and she would have to make arrangements if she was going to continue behaving that way. We fought and she left to her friends place. Some friends told me I might have been doing a bit too much by kicking her out.

AITA for this?

edit: she gets fun money the same amount as me

she takes 3 hours because i said that if she was a SAHW, i wanted really good food (the only request that i had), so it takes her some time to prepare it

i do take care of her when she is sick, (, I dont have to do the cleaning, bc she does it once every 4 days and she gets fine by then)

and it was a heated argument, i gave her 10days to leave, she chose to leave today

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

spouse posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend to leave the house because shes not cooking

These two are simultaneously better off without each other and utterly dependent on the other for the other half of 'basic things necessary to have your poo poo together as an adult'.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I assume you're on take 200 of "stay cramped, bitch" ?

That one was legit hard, I was up to 75 takes before I liked one enough to bother

https://soundcloud.com/brawnfire/staycrampedbitch

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Barudak posted:

I just throw away dishes after every meal because Im not some filthy plebeian

I have 20 forks next to my plate since as soon as it touches food and my mouth it becomes dirty and can no longer be used. I have my own personal metal worker that I employ just to make silverware. He lives VERY well.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

That one was legit hard, I was up to 75 takes before I liked one enough to bother

https://soundcloud.com/brawnfire/staycrampedbitch

Interesting, I always imagined it with the same inflection one would use when saying "and stay out!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

coronatae posted:

Interesting, I always imagined it with the same inflection one would use when saying "and stay out!"

Haha, I think of it like saying "stay classy!" but more like "stay cramped!"

It's the shortest phrases that have the most to unpack