Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay but if this guy is too focused on the mission to chat, why the heck is he wasting all that time running around breaking every pot in town?
Did a pot kill his parents?

Have you seen the enemies in the new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
In 22 Jump Street, they make about a jillion meta jokes about sequels never being original and just doing the same movie again, but then they made the same movie again anyway.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the writers were making fun of studio demands, but it's still a weird end result.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Since I brought up Spiderman 2 last page:

I don't understand why they lost the trail on the character/villain setups they did there for SM3. We had Doc Conners right there for The Lizard over two films and even if Venom was a studio mandate, why not use Jameson's astronaut son character and introduce the symbiote that way? He already barely served a purpose in SM2 so at least make that pay off and shoehorn him in that way.

You have a somewhat reasonable explanation for the alien goo showing up from space instead of just randomly landing near Peter in Central Park for no reason and, if you can work a way where Jameson Junior figures out that Peter is Spiderman, you have it attach to JJ, JR and a far more solid motivation for why Venom hates his guts beyond some stupid office photography rivalry. JJ, Jr is already pissed at Peter now. Then he turns into Venom and now wants him dead for stealing his girl and her leaving him at the altar. You also have a better physical match for the character instead of Topher Grace who is for some reason motivated to pray in church so god will kill Peter for...

Inadvertently getting him fired? Conveniently timed so it coincides with Peter ridding himself of the black suit?

Throw Harry in there in there somewhere with a better costume if you have to or just put him in a coma or some poo poo then you can do whatever you want with SM4. Come to think of it, none of that is irrational so I apologize.

Were the re-writes and studio interference really that bad when the whole plot for SM3 is already is right there and the characters already built?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BiggerBoat posted:

Topher Grace who is for some reason motivated to pray in church so god will kill Peter for...

Inadvertently getting him fired? Conveniently timed so it coincides with Peter ridding himself of the black suit?

That scene in the church (specifically the please kill him line) got a roar of laughter in the theatre I saw it in, and everyone in the audience simultaneously checked out of caring about that dumbass movie.

The overall mood just palpably changed in an instant, it was incredible.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It doesn't even make sense that Spider-man would go up that church tower if he wasn't chasing Shocker.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

CordlessPen posted:

In 22 Jump Street, they make about a jillion meta jokes about sequels never being original and just doing the same movie again, but then they made the same movie again anyway.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the writers were making fun of studio demands, but it's still a weird end result.

That was the joke though. If they had made the joke that sequels are always the same and then done something completely different, it'd just be a sequel and not a parody.

Both of them are very good movies though and are the best comedy movies made in a long time.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Saw Dune on Sunday and loved it. A couple minor nitpicks, because that's what this thread is for:

Lady Jessica is a notably strong-willed character in the book and that was not present in most of her scenes. She came off as constantly anxious and meek, with a couple exceptions (Sardaukar ornithopter ride and punking Stilgar). I guess maybe this was intentional to have her hiding her true nature/all the stuff she's juggling, but it didn't quite land for me.

This got mentioned upthread, but I was a bit confused they didn't mention or even allude to the lasgun-on-shield effect. Come to think of it, they didn't mention the House Atomics either, although I'd have to re-skim the book to see where that's first talked about.

Personal opinion here, but I think they should have included Paul crying over Jamis at the end, right after the duel. I know in the book it takes place once they reach the sietch, but IMO it would have been much more emotionally impactful to include it at the close of the first movie (I described the scene to my family and they agreed it would have been a good emotional moment). Plus I suspect some of the Sietch Tabr stuff is going to be cut in part II anyway.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
In the short film Zombie in a Penguin Suit (On YouTube), they show zombies climbing out of graves, but they also show a church full of people who killed themselves to prevent becoming zombies, using poison.

Either all the dead rise, or they don't.

That said it's completely fantastic and has more zombie movie in 7 minutes than a lot of full length features.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what if you only become a zombie if youre buried? check mate

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
All the dead bodies at one exact moment were turned into zombies, but then after that you have to be specifically infected.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Beachcomber posted:

In the short film Zombie in a Penguin Suit (On YouTube), they show zombies climbing out of graves, but they also show a church full of people who killed themselves to prevent becoming zombies, using poison.

Either all the dead rise, or they don't.

That said it's completely fantastic and has more zombie movie in 7 minutes than a lot of full length features.
This is actually kind of weird, because in a lot of traditional European folklore, suicide only increases your chances of becoming the undead.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the Balkans killing yourself was basically a surefire way of becoming a vampire.

Other ways included:
-Not being baptized
-Being born in the caul
-Practicing witchcraft
-Converting to Islam
-A vampire looking at your mother while she was pregnant with you
-A cat jumping over your body after you die
-Eating meat from a sheep preyed on by a vampire
-Being the son or daughter of a vampire
-Even a single blood of vampire blood getting on you at all

Also being killed by a vampire I guess

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the Balkans killing yourself was basically a surefire way of becoming a vampire.

Other ways included:
-Not being baptized
-Being born in the caul
-Practicing witchcraft
-Converting to Islam

Pretty sure we all know which of these was most important.

I say that having enjoyed Bram Stoker's Dracula.

It was just laden with Christian imagery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb3O46ZEJmI

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lazy vampire just hanging out at the Starbucks opposite the antenatal clinic.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
In Knives Out, I understand why Christopher Plummer didn't leave anything in his will for his family. Plus they're all awful people so you don't feel bad for them. It is pretty hosed up that he didn't leave anything for his senile mother. She seemed alright.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Ego-bot posted:

In Knives Out, I understand why Christopher Plummer didn't leave anything in his will for his family. Plus they're all awful people so you don't feel bad for them. It is pretty hosed up that he didn't leave anything for his senile mother. She seemed alright.

I'm pretty sure that he could trust that Marta will look after her.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Who are some introverted black male characters?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gaunab posted:

Who are some introverted black male characters?

Chidi from the Good Place.
Josh from Fear Street 1994.
Sean from The Alchemist Cookbook.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Ego-bot posted:

Christopher Plummer's character was also an awful person who lorded his power over his awful family. He was just less of an rear end in a top hat.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Squidster posted:

Christopher Plummer's character was also an awful person who lorded his power over his awful family. He was just less of an rear end in a top hat.
at least he wasn't a nazi child mastabatin' in the bathroom

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ego-bot posted:

He probably should have left them token amounts. I've seen that suggested as a strategy when you want to cut your heirs out of your will and don't want them to have a good case to challenge the will in court.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Demons never seem grateful to the person who summons them. It's always just some snide comment and then they murder them. Why don't they put that part in the summoning books? "by the way, the demon is kind of a jerk and will probably kill you"

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Oct 31, 2021

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Demons never seem grateful to the person who summons them. It's always just some snide comment and then they murder them. Why don't they put that part in the summoning books? "by the way, the demon is kind of a jerk and will probably kill you"

The Bartimaeus books get this right, iirc. The demons are listed with a level of difficulty, and danger level if you gently caress up your rune circle.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I was thinking about the ones in supernatural where you don't even have to mess anything up, they just arrive and are like "haha idiot have fun in hell" and snap your neck. They could at least be polite about it.

e: the exception is the crossroad demons I guess. They at least give you something cool before murdering you.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Oct 31, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's especially annoying because it doesn't feel like it makes sense - they just had a nice window where they don't have to hang out in hell and get to chill on Earth for a bit, why not take their time with the job as given? Especially since if people keep getting murdered every time that demon is summoned people might notice and then he just wouldn't get summoned again, which seems like it would suck for them. I'd love to see a story where the Demon actually behaves himself once summoned purely because he doesn't want to get some rowdy priest trying to exorcise him and there's a lot of cool poo poo he wants to check out. If he can get the humans in the community to like him, maybe they'll stick up for him.

I know the logic is normally "chaotic evil being murdering for a laugh" but chaotic evil doesn't necessarily mean stupid. Hell, I think I just described Andy Serkis' Venom movies :P. Venom behaves because he's grown attached to the humans around Eddie and they help him where they can, even having his own rapport with the supporting cast sometimes.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Oct 31, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BioEnchanted posted:

It's especially annoying because it doesn't feel like it makes sense - they just had a nice window where they don't have to hang out in hell and get to chill on Earth for a bit, why not take their time with the job as given? Especially since if people keep getting murdered every time that demon is summoned people might notice and then he just wouldn't get summoned again, which seems like it would suck for them. I'd love to see a story where the Demon actually behaves himself once summoned purely because he doesn't want to get some rowdy priest trying to exorcise him and there's a lot of cool poo poo he wants to check out. If he can get the humans in the community to like him, maybe they'll stick up for him.

You're assuming that they would prefer earth to hell. They just want to get this whole errand over to get back to their cozy 9 to 5, before the work piles up. If the quest giver is especially pesky, it's easier just to kill him.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

cant cook creole bream posted:

You're assuming that they would prefer earth to hell. They just want to get this whole errand over to get back to their cozy 9 to 5, before the work piles up. If the quest giver is especially pesky, it's easier just to kill him.

if we’re talking christian demons then per the canon they pretty explicitly don’t want to be in hell, that’s the whole story of legion and the pigs

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My IIMM with Knives Out is wtf Daniel Craig was doing with that accent.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BioEnchanted posted:

It's especially annoying because it doesn't feel like it makes sense - they just had a nice window where they don't have to hang out in hell and get to chill on Earth for a bit, why not take their time with the job as given?

In Unknown Armies, a cool rear end RPG, demons who get summoned try to possess you so they can just take your body and use it to live out their obsession for as long as they can until you manage to kick them out. So like if there's a demon who really loves tacos, and he possesses you, he's going to run to the nearest cantina and just start gorging himself silly on carnitas. They have no interest in going back at all, they just want to stick here as long as they can and enjoy whatever it is that gets them off.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

Enjoying himself immensely.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

BiggerBoat posted:

Same thing every American theater kid does with British ones.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

The best part is they're going to be paying him millions of dollars to do it again. And again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The best part is they're going to be paying him millions of dollars to do it again. And again.

I kind of want him to have a different ridiculous accent each time

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat posted:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

I kind of want him to have a different ridiculous accent each time

Quick wiki take, this was set in Massachusetts. That should give him plenty to work with.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

yeah I eat rear end posted:

And while we're at it, who the gently caress would sell their soul to the devil? Like, cool, enjoy your billion dollars or sick fiddle skills for a couple of decades. Hope it was worth the eternity of neverending torture.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Other ways included:
-Not being baptized
-Being born in the caul
-Practicing witchcraft
-Converting to Islam

I seem to remember reading a Bulgarian legend stating untrustworthy barmaids being fated to be vampires. That gave me a good chuckle.

Which was seconded when I read that one of the things vampires were reported that they could transform into was haystacks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BiggerBoat posted:

He sounds even more insane in his Steven Soderbergh movie

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Samovar posted:

I seem to remember reading a Bulgarian legend stating untrustworthy barmaids being fated to be vampires. That gave me a good chuckle.

Which was seconded when I read that one of the things vampires were reported that they could transform into was haystacks.

Chill evening at your favorite Bulgarian village tavern abruptly interrupted by the terror of the barmaid shortchanging you followed by spotting a haystack on your way home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

800peepee51doodoo posted:

And while we're at it, who the gently caress would sell their soul to the devil? Like, cool, enjoy your billion dollars or sick fiddle skills for a couple of decades. Hope it was worth the eternity of neverending torture.

There are a few reasons, and yeah humans are capricious. But the better to rule in hell than serve in heaven is one.

This all assumes that the narrative of the Abrahamic religions are true. And that the unspeakable one is almighty.

And that he doesn't just want to gently caress with you.

And that he is the one and only.

Because biblical texts imply other gods. You shall have no other gods before me.

A lighter touch recognizes the supreme god and pays obeisance but yeah, Baal exists based on your dusty old books.

e: sorry I meant to say that the Catholic Church and it's unholy abomination the charismatic christians make demons out of normal human behavior and witches are just women who know what abortifacients are

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Oct 31, 2021