Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/12aWCAmYnGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Ravpower was my go-to for “quality as good as Anker but 30% cheaper” but they got kicked off Amazon for paying for reviews.

It’s a shame, I have like 4 Ravpower chargers and batteries and they’re excellent products. You can still buy them from their website but I think the price has gone up to the same as Anker now anyways.

When I bought stuff over the Summer there were plenty of coupon codes to bring prices back down to "Anker but 30% cheaper". I got the 90w GaN wall charger to replace a missing MBP brick for $39 and $19 for a MagSafe puck. Just checked and both are still less expensive than Anker.

Unfortunately they were out of stock on most products and it took 2 weeks for everything to arrive.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

metztli posted:

Blender, unity and visual studio (not code)

Appreciate it, thanks! Sounds like one of these might actually work out for my needs.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CLtkukeua_c&feature=youtu.be

Good to know the battery replacement isn’t a complete nightmare. Could be a lot better though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I've had this feeling with

* Getting a CD-R and marveling that I could write 600MB to a disc
* Going from a 56k AOL connection to a wired Ethernet connection in the dorms at college (before wifi and in the prime of Napster)
* Weirdly, just a basic USB thumb drive, of any capacity, after many bad years of zip drives, disk trading, and 'emailing the file to myself'...
* SSD
* iPhone (I jumped in at 3GS)
* macBook air (though this is probably re-stating 'SSD')
* airDrop, for the same reasons as thumb drive.

Cool things that did NOT have this feeling:

* WiFi (needed to mature to be not a pain in the rear end)
* Bluetooth (still a pain in the rear end)
* iPad (oh yay a giant iPhone)

The last thing that gave me that feeling was the first time I saw an OLED TV

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

I have a question for me, though: can I do streaming from an M1 Mac Mini at home to an iPad on the go? I'm thinking something like Parsec or Moonlight, but to an iPad.
Yeah, although of course experiences will vary depending on your upload speed and the remote connection quality. I don't know if Parsec or Moonlight have iPad clients (or Mac servers for that matter), but there's other options. Jump Desktop does VNC and RDP, but also has their own higher performance protocol, which presumably works the same as other stuff (i.e. live encodes the screen and audio into a stream). Switched my iPad to tethering and was able to watch a video ok enough, would be better if I allowed it to switch to a lower screen resolution as recommended (but I didn't want it to maybe gently caress with my window layout).

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know what tool he used to make this video? I can't imagine he imported a screen-capture into after-effects and did all the zooming manually?

This whole thing kills me, because the most elegant way to solve this problem would be to just have no notch and slightly larger top (and maybe bottom?) bezels. No one would be talking about it at all! I'm still going to get one probably, and in like a month no one will be talking about it, but it is kind of funny this is the way they went.
I feel like there is a fancy recorder that can do it, but forget the name. But to do it in post, I think you could just do it with iMovie actually, basically by using the Ken Burns tool for quick zoom transitions. As for the notch, simple way would be an option to just treat it as dead space/fake bezel. If you don't mind the notch, you get some extra space.

Hadlock posted:

I would not buy anything USB-C that doesn't have apple, Belkin or Anker on it. Anker is cheap and plentiful, there's another brand out there somewhere that's good, starts with a R ... Ravpower? Whatever

Just buy Anker, can't imagine spending any time buying any other brand
RavPower and such are still on AliExpress if you don't mind waiting a month :v:. I think Necteck is one of the cheap brands that's actually legit USB IF certified. Last I looked into it Anker didn't bother, like even their power strips aren't UL Listed...I still buy and use their stuff though so eh, the power of brand trust I guess. I forget if they might have some other certification though.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Cool things that did NOT have this feeling:

* WiFi (needed to mature to be not a pain in the rear end)
Apple AirPort stuff worked fine :colbert:. Course that was the big deal with it, like one of the earliest consumer implementations that just worked. There's a great story behind the stunt they did to show it off somewhere in a podcast iirc, when Phil Schiller did like a 30ft drop with an iBook.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Walked posted:

The build notes on this 16" M1 Pro is loving great.I love the perception of the inceased heft. The screen is GREAT.

We'll see about the rest; but the general "Feel" is 100% on the money

Not much to add. I love the new 16" M1 Pro. It feels like a tank and I'm loving it. My favorite Apple machine in a couple of years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

japtor posted:

Yeah, although of course experiences will vary depending on your upload speed and the remote connection quality. I don't know if Parsec or Moonlight have iPad clients (or Mac servers for that matter), but there's other options. Jump Desktop does VNC and RDP, but also has their own higher performance protocol, which presumably works the same as other stuff (i.e. live encodes the screen and audio into a stream). Switched my iPad to tethering and was able to watch a video ok enough, would be better if I allowed it to switch to a lower screen resolution as recommended (but I didn't want it to maybe gently caress with my window layout).

I feel like there is a fancy recorder that can do it, but forget the name. But to do it in post, I think you could just do it with iMovie actually, basically by using the Ken Burns tool for quick zoom transitions. As for the notch, simple way would be an option to just treat it as dead space/fake bezel. If you don't mind the notch, you get some extra space.

RavPower and such are still on AliExpress if you don't mind waiting a month :v:. I think Necteck is one of the cheap brands that's actually legit USB IF certified. Last I looked into it Anker didn't bother, like even their power strips aren't UL Listed...I still buy and use their stuff though so eh, the power of brand trust I guess. I forget if they might have some other certification though.

Apple AirPort stuff worked fine :colbert:. Course that was the big deal with it, like one of the earliest consumer implementations that just worked. There's a great story behind the stunt they did to show it off somewhere in a podcast iirc, when Phil Schiller did like a 30ft drop with an iBook.

I remember marching around the office with an orange iBook held up triumphantly as I browsed web pages, coworkers trailing along behind me and marveling

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The first time we got wifi working in my house my mind nearly exploded

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

Just in case ya don't believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MR4R5LdrJw

One of my first Mac hardware hacks involved using an Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card in a PowerBook and then an early Base Station.. they were drop-in replacements for Apple's first Airport card.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 30, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Have delivery dates different by a week between Apple and UPS, with UPS being earlier. Do I believe the UPS or is Apple going to have them hold it back for reasons unknown. I recall there being something like that happening in the past.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

UPS will deliver it on their schedule AFAIK. Apple’s estimates are just that, estimates. UPS has sent me like five delivery rescheduled texts in the past two or three days, constantly bouncing back between monday tuesday and wednesday, though it looks like Monday is most likely. Apple still says 5th but I wouldn’t expect them to update me TBH.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. UPS says 11/2 and Apple 11/9. Would be a very nice Tuesday to get this guy then.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Hah, UPS said 11/3 for me, then yesterday it literally said “Check back tomorrow for an updated date” and now today it says 11/4.

Apple’s estimate was 11/5 - 11/10 so I think they maybe DO know better than UPS.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I would like to upgrade to a usb-c MacBook and simplify this down to 1 cable running across the desk, to get power and 2x audio interfaces like 6ft away

I’m not confident that any of the usb-c M-F extension cables I see on Amazon are capable of high enough wattage and reliable data speeds, because the reviews mostly talk about extending phone chargers to a bedside.

Are there any dongle-hubs that like, work in reverse? Over at the wall I want to plug the dongle pigtail into a power brick, audio IO into the usb-A ports, then a 6ft standard usb-c M-M cable from the hub to my computer.

edit: looks like I just need a hub without a pigtail wire. Anything like this from a name I recognize, with more than 5 reviews? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F5WXQFS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ND1XZ2YGXEEEVDY2ARPR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 30, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like my 16" shipped last night, and is estimated to get here like 2-3 weeks earlier than even their previous estimate. :woop:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone else sensitive as gently caress to visual stuff also getting migraines from the new M1 Pros?

I picked up a 16" and have been in love. Had a migraine for the first time in a month+ the day it was delivered. Today (the next day), it has happened again immediately after I got about an hour into using it.

Have tried different configurations on refresh rate/brightness/etc

I spend a LOT of time in front of screens (professionally) and have my migraines really, really well under control nowadays so something has changed and the Macbook Pro is unfortunately the most obvious. Gut says either subtle bloom and/or PWM flicker is the root cause, but I'm mostly just bullshitting that.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

eddiewalker posted:

I would like to upgrade to a usb-c MacBook and simplify this down to 1 cable running across the desk, to get power and 2x audio interfaces like 6ft away

I’m not confident that any of the usb-c M-F extension cables I see on Amazon are capable of high enough wattage and reliable data speeds, because the reviews mostly talk about extending phone chargers to a bedside.

Are there any dongle-hubs that like, work in reverse? Over at the wall I want to plug the dongle pigtail into a power brick, audio IO into the usb-A ports, then a 6ft standard usb-c M-M cable from the hub to my computer.

edit: looks like I just need a hub without a pigtail wire. Anything like this from a name I recognize, with more than 5 reviews? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F5WXQFS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ND1XZ2YGXEEEVDY2ARPR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Depends on how much you’re looking to spend but I’d recommend a Thunderbolt 3/4 dock for your use case. It’ll give you 40Gbps of data as opposed to the 10Gbps that USB-C is limited to and you’ll get power delivery, a bunch of USB ports plus the ability to run two monitors from it in case you decide you want to later.

I think most of us would recommend something by CalDigit for the dock. Probably either the TS3+ for every port you can think of or the USB-C Pro (which is also TB3 despite the name) for a more normal selection of ports.

You’ll probably need to get a separate TB3 cable though, most of the docks come with 2-4ft cables.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mercurius posted:

Depends on how much you’re looking to spend but I’d recommend a Thunderbolt 3/4 dock for your use case. It’ll give you 40Gbps of data as opposed to the 10Gbps that USB-C is limited to and you’ll get power delivery, a bunch of USB ports plus the ability to run two monitors from it in case you decide you want to later.

I think most of us would recommend something by CalDigit for the dock. Probably either the TS3+ for every port you can think of or the USB-C Pro (which is also TB3 despite the name) for a more normal selection of ports.

You’ll probably need to get a separate TB3 cable though, most of the docks come with 2-4ft cables.

I didn’t realize usb-c/tb is complicated enough to warrant the existence of r/usbhardware but the people over there say the thing I want (a charging pass through hub with a detachable cable) can’t exist in spec because the known resistance of an attached pigtail is important to keeping power negotiations safe.

Oh well. I guess I’ll just tape 2 usbc m-m cables together into a “loom.” I’m really hoping to simplify my travel load.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
https://www.theverge.com/22751921/apple-macbook-pro-14-16-inch-2021-m1-pro-max-review

Sounds like battery life is much better on the M1 Pro than the Max, for anyone who might care.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You would expect that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

I didn’t realize usb-c/tb is complicated enough to warrant the existence of r/usbhardware but the people over there say the thing I want (a charging pass through hub with a detachable cable) can’t exist in spec because the known resistance of an attached pigtail is important to keeping power negotiations safe.

Oh well. I guess I’ll just tape 2 usbc m-m cables together into a “loom.” I’m really hoping to simplify my travel load.
I guess the pass through power is the issue there, like USB-C power to hub to computer? I guess "docks" are fine cause they (usually) have a power brick to the dock, then (detachable!) USB-C power/data to the computer. That's basically the CalDigit stuff mentioned, among many others. I found a few that take USB-C input...but no clue about proper spec with that considering what you're saying there.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is there a thread consensus on a dock for the 2021 16”? Pass through charging, hdmi, usb a etc. My old Dell dock will not charge the 2021 model.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Small White Dragon posted:

https://www.theverge.com/22751921/apple-macbook-pro-14-16-inch-2021-m1-pro-max-review

Sounds like battery life is much better on the M1 Pro than the Max, for anyone who might care.

Good to know, honestly. Might actually be a decisionmaker in my case. (Lots of dev, not much graphics, no video)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/30/imac-pro-2022-rumors/

I like the sound of that.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Ordered my base 14" M1 Pro on the 21st and it's still processing. I'm getting antsy. :(

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So I'm not sure I have any interest in jumping to Apple silicon yet. I was thinking about grabbing a 2020 MBP 13" from eBay w/ the stats I want. Found some around 2K.

Thoughts? Is there anything about teh 2020 models that's egregious? The biggest issue I see right now is using my speakers with it, because I currently use the optical output of the port, and I've only found 1 out-of-stock USB-C->Optical adapter.

EDIT: Said screw it and grabbed it. It's a no-brainer for me at this point. It's the newest MacBook I'll have owned since buying my new 13" in 08, and I'll be able to sell off my current one for a few bucks. I'm just not ready to jump head-first into the Apple Silicon world, and so I figure this will let me push off for a number of years while getting me a slightly more modern system.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 31, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If the iMac brick is just USB-C I wonder if that presents the opportunity to use it for other devices and have ethernet-on-brick for MBPs too.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Tugboat Willy posted:

Ordered my base 14" M1 Pro on the 21st and it's still processing. I'm getting antsy. :(

Mine was processing since launch day until this Saturday morning it finally shipped. ETA Nov 3rd, originally Apple said Nov 5th-Nov 10. You're probably fine.

I went out and bought a 14" base model while I waited. So hopefully on Wednesday I'll be able to compare this base model 14" Pro 14c to the 14" Max 24c.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Good to know, honestly. Might actually be a decisionmaker in my case. (Lots of dev, not much graphics, no video)

I’m kinda debating on the Max, not to max out to 64 GB, but rather to have the insane amount of memory bandwidth. I didn’t see it (at least it wasn’t obvious to me) in AnandTech’s review, but 32 GB on a Max vs. a. Pro, should enjoy the increased bandwidth / channels, right?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

New iMac rumors make me consider just getting that and keeping my 2015 13 going another year. It’s not like I travel much these days

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Where is the 13 going to fall in with all this? Is it going to drop the Pro name and just be the MacBook like in the olden days?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB-C hub/dock for a 2019 MBP? I'm looking for power passthrough, 2 x USB-A, 1 x USB-C, and HDMI and am trying not to spend more than ~$80. I tried an Anker dongle and the USB-A ports would intermittently disconnect. I checked out what Belkin is offering since they're usually a solid choice, but at least one of their models apparently burns out the 2019 MacBook's USB ports eventually. Reviews on Amazon for other brands are all over the place with issues such as the USB disconnecting problem I had, not working as a charger, and HDMI problems. I really don't need anything fancy, I've just used up all of my ports and am swapping between inputs as I need them, which is a pain. I'd even be willing to pay the Apple tax if they offered their own product, but surprisingly they do not seem to.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
double post

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB-C hub/dock for a 2019 MBP? I'm looking for power passthrough, 2 x USB-A, 1 x USB-C, and HDMI and am trying not to spend more than ~$80. I tried an Anker dongle and the USB-A ports would intermittently disconnect. I checked out what Belkin is offering since they're usually a solid choice, but at least one of their models apparently burns out the 2019 MacBook's USB ports eventually. Reviews on Amazon for other brands are all over the place with issues such as the USB disconnecting problem I had, not working as a charger, and HDMI problems. I really don't need anything fancy, I've just used up all of my ports and am swapping between inputs as I need them, which is a pain. I'd even be willing to pay the Apple tax if they offered their own product, but surprisingly they do not seem to.

So I’ve been using this one with 0 issues on my M1 mac my wife’s think book and my Aya neo.

USB C Hub, Hiearcool MacBook Pro Adapter USB C Dongle, 7 in 1 USB C to HDMI Multiport Adapter Compatible for USB C Laptops Nintendo and Other Type C Devices (4K HDMI USB3.0 SD/TF Card Reader 100W PD) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WPTG7NX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SKWAAWVMY3590VKR2V9B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Legit 0 issues across those devices.

Granted I’m only pushing it to a 1080p monitor so that’s not to say there won’t be issues with the HDMI at anything above that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

MarcusSA posted:

Where is the 13 going to fall in with all this? Is it going to drop the Pro name and just be the MacBook like in the olden days?

I’d predict it’ll be dropped, or made a very cheap edu sku.

It’s not different enough from the airs to bother keeping them around, especially when they rev the Airs next year. Perfect time to discontinue them.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I saw an interesting video on youtube which showed no material performance change between 16GB and 32GB ram other than swap. How much of a concern is swap usage on these since the ssds aren't replacable? There was some noise about this for the original m1 but haven't seen much buzz since.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MarcusSA posted:

I think with the next 13" refresh they'll just have the Air. I thought they would get rid of the Air name by now but it's still sticking around with the iPads so maybe it's important branding.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

movax posted:

I’m kinda debating on the Max, not to max out to 64 GB, but rather to have the insane amount of memory bandwidth. I didn’t see it (at least it wasn’t obvious to me) in AnandTech’s review, but 32 GB on a Max vs. a. Pro, should enjoy the increased bandwidth / channels, right?

Only if you’re using the GPU and CPU hard at the same time. The CPU can only utilise just over half that 400 GB/s memory bandwidth in the Max. If you’re only using the CPU, then it’s form-fitted to the still-insane 200 GB/s of the Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The "Air" branding always bugged me, I thought it was going to be a one-off gimmick (this computer is so thin it's lighter than air!!!), but it just stuck around on a million things until now it means nothing.