Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I have seen Snatch more times than is imaginable.
Stop bragging, we all have the internet 🙄

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That is a line from Benicio del Toro in the elevator posing as a mensch.
what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Guy Ritchie film Snatch begins with a scene where a bunch of rabbis discuss theology in an elevator in the Netherlands. But of course they turn out to be British gangsters merely disguised as rabbis.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Usually it's the other way around

:piaa:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Stop bragging, we all have the internet 🙄

what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sD6StyzXk

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

a bunch of rabbis
I honestly don't know where to start with you dingdongs

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Hey, be nice. Not everyone lives where the grocery stores all have a kosher section.

Poor bastards probably have never even tried gefilte fish.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Domus posted:

Hey, be nice. Not everyone lives where the grocery stores all have a kosher section.

Poor bastards probably have never even tried gefilte fish.

Are you trying to say lutefisk?:confuoot:
And why do you need to see our ding ding dongs, I'm confused:confused:

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Oct 31, 2021

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Are you trying to say lutefisk?

Nah, that's fish jello.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Nah, that's fish jello.

I thought that was fishsallad in gelatine

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

And why do you need to see our ding ding dongs,
I wanna do a calibration test on my scanning electron microscope

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I honestly don't know where to start with you dingdongs

Is "bunch" not the correct word for a group of rabbis?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is "bunch" not the correct word for a group of rabbis?
Most rabbis don't look like that, you shmekel. They're posing as Orthodox.

As for the other guy, mensch just means an upright and admirable person. Also it's gender-neutral.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I wanna do a calibration test on my scanning electron microscope

c'mon were all full of it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Most rabbis don't look like that, you shmekel. They're posing as Orthodox.

As for the other guy, mensch just means an upright and admirable person. Also it's gender-neutral.

If you wear a hat and have a beard you're an rabbi. Which is why both cowboys and Amish are also rabbis.

I don't make the rules.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you wear a hat and have a beard you're an rabbi. Which is why both cowboys and Amish are also rabbis.

I don't make the rules.

Do baseball caps count?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't make the rules.
I note no denial on the shmekel front. That was your one opportunity to do so.

Now it's canon.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Do baseball caps count?
Only if the wearer isn't trying to hide male pattern baldness with the hat.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

corn haver posted:

Only if the wearer isn't trying to hide male pattern baldness with the hat.

Whoa.

Rude!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Time to update the ol' resume I guess

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I note no denial on the shmekel front. That was your one opportunity to do so.

Now it's canon.

I'll have you know I come from a long line of shmekel's.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

Brick Top : You're always gonna have problems lifting a body in one piece. Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together.

Brick Top : And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig poo poo, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".

:mrapig:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

:crossarms: since when? It's literally Yiddish for "man".

A number of times I've wanted a gender-neutral version of "mensch", and came up short. It's as gender neutral as "guys" is.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWjggPP_0TE)

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I think the group noun for rabbis is a consideration.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

My dad was almost a priest. He quit the Novitiate because he wanted kids. He always taught me that it wasn't a "virgin birth" it was that Mary was without sin and a pure woman. That doesn't mean she didn't have sex. It just meant that she was born without sin. The stuff about Jesus being born without Joseph is speculative and pretty darn poorly translated. Also, people were unclear as to how conception worked. Miraculous births were pretty common back then due to lack of understanding.

Jesus is Jeshua Ben Joseph after all.

This isn't quite right. This mistranslation you're talking about isn't about Mary, but is the gospel writer's translation of a prophecy from the Old Testament. That one uses a word (like the english maiden), can refer to either a young women or a virgin. but the virgin birth is definitely in the bible. And people didn't know the exact mechanics of conception but they understood that sex was a requirement. There's a reason God sends an angel down to calm Joseph down after he finds out that his fiance is pregnant. And it's not because everyone's been translating the first book of Matthew wrong for the last two millennia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

:crossarms: since when? It's literally Yiddish for "man".

A number of times I've wanted a gender-neutral version of "mensch", and came up short. It's as gender neutral as "guys" is.

Is it really? It seems obviously the same as the German word Mensch (mens in Dutch), which specifically means 'human'. I assume Yiddish is pretty close to German, so that would have been some semantic shift.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

Is it really? It seems obviously the same as the German word Mensch (mens in Dutch), which specifically means 'human'. I assume Yiddish is pretty close to German, so that would have been some semantic shift.

Huh... Growing up only ever heard it used for males.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Does seem like that's more common, for whatever reason. But in principle Ellie Trashcakes is right, and it's a gender-neutral term.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

:crossarms: since when? It's literally Yiddish for "man"

Source: Eulogy for Eileen Moss, congregant, Temple Adas Shalom

Admittedly it has been somewhat uncommon in usage, but is attested to as such—a person, not a man—no later than 1968 in Leo Rosten's The Joy of Yiddish, as far back as I'm willing to go back because I have better things—i.e. masturbating, staring at a blank wall—than further prove this unfamiliar usage as more than just a novel barbarism or piece of wokery.

Hyperlynx posted:

Huh... Growing up only ever heard it used for males.
That usage is far more common, possibly due to mistaking man as a cognate of mensch and, let's face it, a cultural chauvinism that tended to look past the qualities of a woman's character for her utility and attractiveness.

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Oct 31, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huh! There you go, then. More Stuff I Can't Believe I Just Found Out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lady Disdain posted:

I've never seen the film and know nothing about it, so I could be wrong, but I think I've just discovered that the Bergman film is
The Seventh
not
The Seventh

There's a Tintin book, King Ottokar's Sceptre, where a character starts talking about studying seals. As a little kid, I never heard of seals (emblems) and thought he was referring to the animal.

Even though the book made it incredibly clear what they were talking about, it confused me so much I still remember it decades later.

I literally thought, "That's a weird looking seal. It looks more like a pelican."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Huh! There you go, then. More Stuff I Can't Believe I Just Found Out.
You hosed around and you found out—some interesting new facts!

🌈⭐the more you know

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I can't believe we don't have a "the more you know" smilie. I've been convinced there was one several times, I dunno if there was one at some point or if I just have mushbrains, probably the latter.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I can't believe we don't have a "the more you know" smilie. I've been convinced there was one several times, I dunno if there was one at some point or if I just have mushbrains, probably the latter.

I think people just liked to link the gif a lot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's another pointer from Paula Poundstone!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I don't know how there isn't a smilie of the "why not both" girl.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

packetmantis posted:

It'd have to be :----------------*: but I don't see why not.

Anyway, I was thinking about the mensch thing more, about how I've never heard it used for anyone other than male, and I wonder if it's not another characteristic of Orthodox Judaism compared with the more progressive variants. I grew up orthodox, which positions itself as the only legitimate heir to Judaism itself. I only very recently found out that it's exactly as old as its political opponents are (if age is any measure of legitimacy), and actually developed as a reaction to people wanting reform.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I am definitely goysplaining here but mensch means man.

A good man, a respected man.

It doesn't mean rabbi and it doesn't mean a jeweler, fucks sakes. But I misspoke when I said the people in the opening of Snatch were portraying mensch.

There is a worse part in Snatch where someone is described as wishing he was Jewish.

I mean, we've all been there. My mom wishes she was Jewish. Somehow.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I am definitely goysplaining here but mensch means man.

A good man, a respected man.

It doesn't mean rabbi and it doesn't mean a jeweler, fucks sakes. But I misspoke when I said the people in the opening of Snatch were portraying mensch.

There is a worse part in Snatch where someone is described as wishing he was Jewish.

I mean, we've all been there. My mom wishes she was Jewish. Somehow.

Is that your considered opinion having actually read the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hyperlynx posted:

Is that your considered opinion having actually read the thread?

Hmm, I read it yesterday but then got distracted by Tintin.

I was trying to hit the middle ground of not saying I adore The Fiddler on the Roof but I respect Natasha Lyonne's opinion that Orthodox Judaism is misogynistic.