Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I keep hearing that about the tokimei one, a game that I’ll never play. What makes it so good in people’s opinion?
Tokimemo is an extremely ambitious game from a genre that is not usually associated with high ambitions or budgets, that was never released overseas. It influenced many other games that came after it for years to come. How do you make a AAA dating sim/management game? Tim will tell you how by playing through multiple routes, all the while translating dialog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

MarcusSA posted:

I am in the same boat.

Like I like it??

Im not going to finish the CP2077 video because I want to put some time into the Pc version first but Im going to watch some of his other videos.

watch the tokimeki memorial review, it's incredible

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems like more and more, people are saying that tim is fantastic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr E posted:

but the open world adds nothing

i'm aware i might be in a minority, but just wandering the city and its outskirts brought me some joy

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Rinkles posted:

i'm aware i might be in a minority, but just wandering the city and its outskirts brought me some joy

I liked the city design and it was definitely pretty but at least at the time I played I kept running into so many glitches that would randomly kill me or send me flying 500 feet backwards that I kinda gave up on it after a few hours. Didn't help that if I did want to go somewhere specific that the map couldn't keep up with my motorcycle driving speed and I'd miss my turns to the point where I just fast traveled which I usually don't do in a modern/future setting open world game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

No Mods No Masters posted:

The top tier tim in my experience is tokimeki and the ff7 mosey series. Are there any other particularly good videos from the kotaku days? I've watched a few but they usually felt like normal-ish albeit tim-infused previews/reviews

watch Dragon Quest 11 review and Death Stranding review

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
heres a youtube list of all his solo stuff while at kotaku that you can browse
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsiJPoHlPqEHueUQ2QvbEyVtKSLEBGdSE

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

elf help book posted:

Thanks!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

elf help book posted:

loving hell thats alot of videos

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It kind of owns how bad his videos there performed generally. Pearls before swine

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I never played Cyberpunk 2077 and I almost certainly never will, but I watched this review. I watched part 1, and then he told me to pick two parts, so I picked parts 4 and 5, but then in watching part 5 he told me that he never intended viewers to actually follow his instructions. But I know when I'm being tricked. I'm going to go right to the ending and not watch any of the parts I skipped.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

I never played Cyberpunk 2077 and I almost certainly never will, but I watched this review. I watched part 1, and then he told me to pick two parts, so I picked parts 4 and 5, but then in watching part 5 he told me that he never intended viewers to actually follow his instructions. But I know when I'm being tricked. I'm going to go right to the ending and not watch any of the parts I skipped.

Are you me?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/108/status/1255625236558553090

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone know what the slow piano piece that he uses constantly is, the one that's not claire de lune?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Nanomashoes posted:

Anyone know what the slow piano piece that he uses constantly is, the one that's not claire de lune?

Nocturne is the one people usually confuse with Clair de Lune, might be that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6b3swbnWg

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is such a small thing, but my favourite, absolute favourite bits of Tim Rogers videos are when he says something and then uses the doom shotgun sound effect. Usually it punctuates a joke, sometimes for effect, but it always, always gets me. :)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If you want most of the Tokimeki Memorial video without watching it, he cribs a lot from Tom James' essays:

https://freelansations.medium.com/2009-a-dating-sim-exodus-33955ee92613
https://freelansations.medium.com/25-years-with-an-invisible-elephant-in-the-room-6e5402c93960

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Blind Rasputin posted:

I keep hearing that about the tokimei one, a game that I’ll never play. What makes it so good in people’s opinion?

It's a tedious game in play, honestly, but it's a lot more interesting in analysis.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

It is such a small thing, but my favourite, absolute favourite bits of Tim Rogers videos are when he says something and then uses the doom shotgun sound effect. Usually it punctuates a joke, sometimes for effect, but it always, always gets me. :)

Somehow it never gets old

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Gymnopedie 1?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

jasoneatspizza posted:

Gymnopedie 1?

That's it, thanks.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
this guy SUX

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finished his Cyberpunk review, had the luxury of being able to watch while working from home so I wasn't fully invested but its still good coverage, feel like I've seen everything I want from the game and I don't need to play it. It's outstanding how much effort Tim puts into his videos and I really do look forward to the next game he covers that I'm more familiar with.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When is Tim Rogers going to release his 15 hour #teamseas video?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This Tim vid rules lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Wish #6 wasn't the last one I watched because all that clothing and chair poo poo was so loving boring compared to the rest.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Honestly I kind of want one of those jackets but I would never wear the thing. I'm a hoodie man.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I watched all of 4 and was gonna do 5, but then he told me not to do 5 so I watched like 20 minutes of 6 before going back and actually watching 5, and then I watched 20 minutes more of 6 before jumping into 3 and from there I'll probably jump into the final one without finishing 6, so really he achieved the intended effect of making it seem like I'm really playing a choice-based video game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Walla posted:

Honestly I kind of want one of those jackets but I would never wear the thing. I'm a hoodie man.

The jackets, even though they are well made, are not the authentic ones from the 1940s or whenever. I wonder if that was part of his point or he just really like the jackets.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My watch order has gone Intro, Parts 2 & 6, Finale.

Intro again followed by Parts 1 & 3; Finale.

Next up is Intro, Parts 4 & 5, Finale.

That will complete my full play through of Tim Roger's Action Button Review of Cyberpunk 2077.

Walla posted:

I have purchased a single hoodie in my life.

It was in 2008 and I was in Germany on a language exchange program. My study group was having a day trip to Munich where my attempts to order items and food in Deustch were answered by the locals with clear, slightly accented English. It was in one store I encountered a Life Line Hoodie. Life Line is a Dutch company and its hoodie was all black outside and inside. This was a style the tag called "Vader ". Whether this is a reference to the infamous Star Wars villain or simply a "Dad" hoodie I have still not determined.

The inside is lined with a fur-like material which insulates my body heat so well I can walk outside with it on a cold New England winter day and remain warm. I purchased it for 70 Euros. Less than what one fellow classmate paid for a knife and a UEFA Euro 2008 German National Team jersey.

People have commented on the quality of my hoodie at times over these last thirteen years. Although one have asked where they could buy one. Which is fortunate as a recent check of https://www.golifeline.nl shows that Life Line no longer makes hoodies.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I have bad ears that don't do well with the cold and a hood is just more comfortable than earmuffs. Also wearing hoodies means I can do ponchos, like my blue one made of alpaca wool.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm from San Francisco. People born in San Francisco come into this world wearing hoodies.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched it all and it was good. But there is a very weird Breath of the Wild hole in it. He talks so much about open world games and then barely mentions BotW, pretty much the most important open world game of recent years. Seemed like a very weird omission. Maybe it will get more talk in the review of an open world game he mentioned he’s working on - presumably LA Noire?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Watching the Tokimeki Memorial video, Tim dropped his 2020 goty top 3 here as a brief non sequitur graphic and afaict nowhere else on the internet. I am very amused by that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

acksplode posted:

Watching the Tokimeki Memorial video, Tim dropped his 2020 goty top 3 here as a brief non sequitur graphic and afaict nowhere else on the internet. I am very amused by that.

I’m about 1/4 through that video and the connections he makes about different games is actually really interesting.

I also lol’d at the White Castle bit.

Is it actually possible to play Tokimeki in English these days? I have to assume someone has done a fan translation.

Obviously not of the voice work though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I’m about 1/4 through that video and the connections he makes about different games is actually really interesting.

I also lol’d at the White Castle bit.

Is it actually possible to play Tokimeki in English these days? I have to assume someone has done a fan translation.

Obviously not of the voice work though.

I've been told that something about the way the game stores data makes doing a proper translation hack a huge pain.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

ymgve posted:

The jackets, even though they are well made, are not the authentic ones from the 1940s or whenever. I wonder if that was part of his point or he just really like the jackets.

It was about degrees of authenticity. Cyberpunk is sold as "Authenticity: The Game". If authenticity is a spectrum, with "expensive as gently caress japanese replica jacket" on one end, and "cheap halloween suit" at the other, Cyberpunk falls somwhere around "jacket from Drive"

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've listened to everything except the bottom line.

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

I ask this as a grown-rear end adult with a reasonably fulfilling life: what’s the closest thing in English to Tokimeki Memorial? Doki Doki Literature Club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cool review I guess but lmk when we have the mauler response series