Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

spouse posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend to leave the house because shes not cooking

I make enough and have inheritance for the both of us anyways.

Grading on a curve, this lady didn't have that bad of a deal. There's been a looooooot of stories of dudes demanding a bangmaid but being unemployed or some poo poo.

"100% of household labor" <-> "Ample, shared household income"

Those aren't inherently too badly imbalanced? If he's really bringing home plenty of money and she had access to it. This lady is completely within her rights to want and expect more of course. But she could have asked him to cook one night a week or something rather than opening with a domestic strike.

Does the OP wash his rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
According to the OP she went on strike on her friend’s advice. It reminds me of the story with the lady who was the first of her friend group getting married, and her friends used her to field test all sorts of stupid ideas they had which led to her divorce, and them not making those mistakes in their own mariages. She was pretty salty about it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lmao at this thread

"Uhhg engineers :rolleyes:"

*proceeds to go on huge spergy as gently caress derail on dishwashers and voltage*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nooner posted:

Lmao at this thread

*proceeds to go on huge spergy as gently caress derail on dishwashers and voltage*

Oh look an engineer whining, never seen that before

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I think my perception is affected by how she presented it. What if she'd said she felt worn down by the neverending grind of household labor, and cooking every day means no days off. That she was unsatisfied with her life and she felt like a drudge whose talents as a individual were being wasted scrubbing toilets and doing laundry.

Opening with "I'm raising a manchild and you don't do anything" doesn't prompt much sympathy imo. Plus the dude had a good paying job and an inheritance, that's actually a pretty critical contribution to a household.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

coronatae posted:

Interesting, I always imagined it with the same inflection one would use when saying "and stay out!"

In the original post it seemed more like it was delivered with a dismissive eyeroll

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nooner posted:

Lmao at this thread

Engineers are great when you want to know the optimal way to conserve energy and sanitise your tableware.

They just don't deserve happiness.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

spacetoaster posted:

Could be infrasound. Certain low frequencies that humans can't hear can still cause stuff in your body to harmonize/vibrate with it.

I remember reading somewhere that an AC unit was putting out some 17 hertz sounds and it was causing certain people's eyeballs to vibrate slightly in the vicinity of it (making them see "ghosts").

This is literally a Lovecraft story. So that's why he was afraid of air conditioners.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

No you put the teabag in the cold water in the mug, put that in the microwave and hit the +30 second button 3 times.

What the gently caress is this. I am outraged.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve been saying “stay cramped” with a similar inflection I use for “get hosed”

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

monkeytennis posted:

What the gently caress is this. I am outraged.

Literally what is the problem. Hot water is hot water.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

They're trying to radicalize sexless dorks against women and minorities. Why see women as people when your relationship can only last as long as it takes for your partner to encounter one of Obama's breakdancing bodyguards from that famous SA post?

"Black men are stealing our women" is a scare tale as old as time.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Invisible Clergy posted:

Literally what is the problem. Hot water is hot water.

Lots of higher quality teas and coffees are brewed at below boiling temperature. A microwave doesn't give you very good temperature control.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

According to the OP she went on strike on her friend’s advice. It reminds me of the story with the lady who was the first of her friend group getting married, and her friends used her to field test all sorts of stupid ideas they had which led to her divorce, and them not making those mistakes in their own mariages. She was pretty salty about it.

That was a great story and I'll check if I have it saved when I hop on my computer. If I remember right her husband was a SAINT that put up with all of the unreasonable demands for months until a new rule was the one that broke the camel's back. I want to say it was something along the lines of "We'll only have sex on your birthday. Until then no intamacy of any kind." but I think it was actually a non-sex thing that was beyond bonkers.

The friends then taking none of their own advice and blaming OP for listening to them was :discourse:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Invisible Clergy posted:

This is literally a Lovecraft story. So that's why he was afraid of air conditioners.

So it's fake, or not? I have no idea where I read it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Lovecraft story was a dead guy keeping his room very cold so he wouldn't rot.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

That was a great story and I'll check if I have it saved when I hop on my computer. If I remember right her husband was a SAINT that put up with all of the unreasonable demands for months until a new rule was the one that broke the camel's back. I want to say it was something along the lines of "We'll only have sex on your birthday. Until then no intamacy of any kind." but I think it was actually a non-sex thing that was beyond bonkers.

The friends then taking none of their own advice and blaming OP for listening to them was :discourse:

IIRC, they were having a kid and she insisted on giving it her last name only, not even hyphenated. She had long known that this was a big deal to her husband.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

spouse posted:

lol.

AITA for telling my girlfriend to leave the house because shes not cooking

There was an update on this one:

quote:

Update:

She came home, She cried. She apologised (i said it back too) and hugged me, Told me she loved me. She said she didnt know what came into her. She said she acted like a cun*. She said she would cut off the friend(toxic in many ways, I never really liked her in the first place) And asked me to forgive her. (She had gone to another friends place who lives closer to us not the one in the OP). She says she was just tired of being at home doing nothing, we'll talk about it later, and we might be getting a pet

I said it was ok and that I was a cun* too. She kept crying, and is now asleep hugging me. thank you for the comments/dms, couldnt read most of it, but i appreciate it a lot

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

There Bias Two posted:

Lots of higher quality teas and coffees are brewed at below boiling temperature. A microwave doesn't give you very good temperature control.

If it's in a bag your best case scenario is that it's floor sweepings from good tea.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

pentyne posted:

I usually just tip the dishwasher $1 per plate.

I held back before, but apparently the dishwashing derail is still going.

My only redeeming quality is my need to do the dishes when I visit people. If my only childhood trauma is a sink and counter full of dishes that impel me into motion, so be it. PM me your address, that sounds like a pretty good side hustle.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my sister in law get over me ruining her wedding

A home birth that takes 16 hours.

A big party for her 30th birthday- get over yourself. You know what I was doing for my 30th birthday? MOURNING MY DEAD MOTHER. If you're not actively weeping on your 30th you're ahead of the curve. I hope her brother and sister-in-law make the rest of the family choose between OP and them (and their triplets) and live the rest of their lives happily.

Gnoman posted:

Sharing this one because I've rarely seen so effective a way to say a lot about yourself while saying nothing at all.

Should I (24F) break up with my bf (24M) because of his bigoted opinions?

From the comments:

"I indulge in socio-political content and like to discuss the same with the people around me. " rear end in a top hat.

Barudak posted:

Drake meme no -> Catgirls
Drake meme yes -> Catboys actual cats

ftfy

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

OGDanDogg posted:

I held back before, but apparently the dishwashing derail is still going.

My only redeeming quality is my need to do the dishes when I visit people. If my only childhood trauma is a sink and counter full of dishes that impel me into motion, so be it. PM me your address, that sounds like a pretty good side hustle.

When I was younger two of my friends who were dating and living together at the time, had a huge blow out fight at a party. As a stress respons I more or less cleaned the entire kitchen. This wasn't my place, nor theirs, I think I had met the host maybe twice before.
They later broke up

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Weatherwax posted:

When I was younger two of my friends who were dating and living together at the time, had a huge blow out fight at a party. As a stress respons I more or less cleaned the entire kitchen. This wasn't my place, nor theirs, I think I had met the host maybe twice before.
They later broke up

This is how I deal with stress: cook and clean things. Especially the kitchen. This is why I volunteer to cook for people at parties, because then I can hyperfocus on that when I get anxious.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HerStuddMuffin posted:

ESH

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/co5chc/aita_for_breaking_up_with_my_friend_group_for/

quote:

AITA for breaking up with my friend group for horrible relationship advice that broke up my marriage?
rear end in a top hat

My main group of friends is 4 other women I met at university 10 years ago.

We all met basically on the first week of the first year and have stayed tight with each other done then alive 10 years ago. I used to think they were all bad rear end and looked to them for advice for a lot of stuff including relationships. I started seeing my now ex-husband 6 years ago, we got married 2 years ago got separated 1 year ago and now divorce is final.

A lot of the problems we had was me acting on, what in hind sight seems like, bad advice given to me by my friends. Examples:

Just after our engagement they convinced me that I shouldn't change my last name or hyphenate because it was old fashioned and oppressive, even though Mark told me early on that it was an important thing to him

They planted doubts in my mind about how what originally I thought were innocent comments by his mom were jabs she was taking at me and pushed me to force Mark to stand up for me to his mom

Convinced me that I need to ration sex because some stupid reason that I bought into then that doesn't make sense now.

Convinced me that when we have kids they should take my last name because I would be giving birth and again we shouldn't support old fashioned traditions.

With the last fight Mark had enough and said he wanted out and initiated the break up. I was devastated, I foolishly thought he'd never leave me because again my friends convinced me that I was way out of his league and that he would never leave me.

I decided I can't be friends with these women any more because not only did they give me really bad advice but when each of them for married none of them followed any of the advice that had been SO important when they told me. They each took they husband last names. They all bend over backwards to get along with their in-laws. No rationing of sex. No more kids need to get mother's last name talk.

This just pissed me off and I confronted them,I told them they were just using my marriage as a playground to test their stupid relationship theories and that they only started really thinking things through when it came to their own relationships. I told them I couldn't be friends with them any more.

They are saying I'm being unreasonable and that they told me what they thought was best at the time and that no one held a gun to my head. They said now that they've been in the position things are different and that they're saying it's a lot more important to go along to get along.

That's true, I'm probably going to be regretting for the rest of my life not using enough of my own judgement in my own life decisions. But the thought that I had a good guy that I pushed away because of their advice is just too much for me. WIBTA for cutting them loose?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Weatherwax posted:

They later broke up
Did the host notice this at the time? Or come back at some point to a mysteriously cleaned kitchen? I sure wouldn't complain but boy would I be confused.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Its beautiful, thank you. You gotta love hypocrisy.txt.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Weatherwax posted:

They later broke up

Well I hope you learned your lesson. :colbert:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

limp_cheese posted:

Its beautiful, thank you. You gotta love hypocrisy.txt.

Yeah, OP is a spineless idiot and her friends are harpies.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

AC unit was putting out some 17 hertz sounds and it was causing certain people's eyeballs to vibrate slightly in the vicinity of it (making them see "ghosts").
From last page but certainly you mean “allowing them to see ghosts.”

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Funktastic posted:

AITA for being annoyed when my nephew always orders the most expensive food on the menu?
Simple answer: don't go to dinner with them anymore.

Power move: go to dinner with them, leave before the check arrives, drive away giggling.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I searched halloween for fun :spooky: :) :spooky:

I [M32] told my co-worker [F27] that I liked her at her Halloween party and I've found out that she's broken up with her BF of 4 years

quote:

So I told my crush I liked her a lot (and didn't expect any reciprocation) at a party on Halloween. We see each other every day at work so I pretty much just let it go, and felt that I had said my piece.

I found out yesterday that she had broken up with her boyfriend of 4 years (that she currently lives with in a share house), but not from her, rather another coworker that had been told.

I've kept my mouth shut on the whole situation. We're not like friends outside of work, so there's been zero communication back and forth between us outside of work and maybe drinks after work in groups.

I don't really know what to do. A part of me feels the breakup was on the cards for a while, but I guess my question is whether I had anything to do with it?

Also, I question whether I should be pursuing her in the short term considering the gravity of this very recent breakup. The paranoid part of my brain assumes there's another guy and she's interested in him and I'm just a chump hanging around for something that's never going to happen.

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR: Told my co-worker I liked her and have found out that she's broken up with her boyfriend of 4 years. Don't know if I had anything to do with it, and would like advice on what to do next?

My boyfriend's friends don't like me and it's not my fault

quote:

My boyfriend's (M29) ex girlfriend (F26) is in the same friendship group as him. They split ~5 years ago and she's been with her current boyfriend from about 6 weeks after that. She hates anyone that my boyfriend brings to their friendship group and will try to make them leave or make him call things off with them, and this has been happening to me lately. We've been together 18 months, and she will do anything she can to make me out to be a terrible person. She's put washing up liquid in my drink to make me be sick (which happened to be all over her, karma's a bitch), she turns up at house parties at 11pm sober when I've had a few drinks and will make out that I'm unable to handle my drink and I'm a mess, and the most recent thing was that we went to a festival, which meant a lot to one of the couple's in the group. They met at this festival, and were due to be getting married this year on that date. It was cancelled due to Covid, so we went to the festival instead. Ex girlfriend wasn't due to be going, but bought a ticket 'last minute'. It was all going ok, we were doing rounds with the 6 of us that were there, and when it got to hers, she decided to tell us she couldn't afford to buy a round. Everyone went 'oh, it's ok ex girlfriend, we'll all pay for your drinks, right?'. We drank a fair amount, and stayed out of each others way until the last band played. I was stood there with a pint in hand when she started screaming at me saying I had no right to call her 'a jealous c' and that it's not her fault that I'm not over the fact he's had relationships before he was with me. Bearing in mind I said nothing to her, I was just standing watching the band. She was shouting and screaming and sobbing and everyone huddled around her asking what was wrong. She told them that I had said all this stuff (I said nothing, and even when I'm really pissed off I never use c), and they all chose to side with her. They all ignored me, and my boyfriend was left confused because 'she would never normally kick off like that over nothing'. The others all left, and my boyfriend and I had a big row over the fact I must have said something to trigger that. We spoke about it in the morning and we're on the same page now, but his friends all are ignoring me on social media and when we saw them recently they were all offish with me.

Fast forward to planning a Halloween party. They decided they were having one, and invited me and my boyfriend. I asked them to let me know if she was coming because if she was, I wasn't going to be there because of how she lies about me Infront of me. She decided literally a week ago she was going to be coming, and they sent a text to my boyfriend saying 'ex is coming now, so OP can't come. You're still coming right?'

I understand that they're all on her side as they've known her for 9 or so years and me for 18 months, but what the hell can I do about this? I like them as people and I don't think it's fair they're excluding me from things, but I understand that it only kicks off when her and I am both there.

Just to add - she told my boyfriend while at the festival that I'd been sneaking around on his phone and told her all about how he's texting other girls. She also said that I had been blocking and unblocking her on his account. We looked into that the next day and she's actually the one to have blocked him. For the record - no I have not been sneaking around on his phone and why on earth would I tell her of all people?! She is very flirtatious to my boyfriend, and my boyfriend only, even though she has her own, but I let it slide because I'm making the effort to not give her reason to kick off. By flirtatious I mean hair twirling, giggling, standing with her feet between his, batting eyelashes and then glaring over to me whenever she can catch my eye. It's humorous to watch because she's 26 and still being like this!

Tldr: boyfriend's ex girlfriend tries to do anything she can to make a mockery of me Infront of their joint friends, and lies about what I've said/done to manipulate how they feel about me. They've now decided to exclude me from everything and I don't know what to do. I can't tell my boyfriend he's not to see his friends, but I can't change their opinion of me when they've been fed all of these lies from ex girlfriend

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, I hate when someone poisons me and all my friends side with the poisoner and tell me to chill out.

If only there was a term for a kind of person who enjoys your company and also doesn't want you to be poisoned.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

spouse posted:

My boyfriend's friends don't like me and it's not my fault

it sounds like your boyfriend is feeding cats to the coyotes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cthulu Carl posted:

All the arguing about power grids and dishwashers makes me feel like I'm reading a thread about the Technology Connections youtube channel.

After his recent dishwasher detergent video I started using a rinse aid and WOW I wasn't expecting much of a difference but it felt like I was in in of those before/after commercials. Stuff dries faster with less/no detergent residue. I grew up with very hard water, so I was just used to residue of some sort or another on everything as long as it wasn't leftover food or toxic. A properly black saucepan was a bit of a shock.

Helps lessen the surface tension of water so it drains off the dishes better. It's very cheap, name brands are no better than store brand and a small amount lasts a long time. If you have a dishwasher I'd say check it out, worst case you don't notice a difference and you're out two bucks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
you can get all kinds of fancy with dish cleaning, but the real trick is to circumcize your dishes and they'll be far easier to clean

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

Trapick posted:

Did the host notice this at the time? Or come back at some point to a mysteriously cleaned kitchen? I sure wouldn't complain but boy would I be confused.

I truly don't remember! But other guests noticed so it wasn't a total mystery
I think I also emptied all the ashtrays. Not to drunk me is a great cleaner.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

spouse posted:

I searched halloween for fun :spooky: :) :spooky:

I [M32] told my co-worker [F27] that I liked her at her Halloween party and I've found out that she's broken up with her BF of 4 years

quote:

We see each other every day at work 

I've never understood why people would want to start a relationship like this. If you see each other every day at work wouldn't it be harder to get time away from the other person in the beginning? I understand why married couples have told me they wish they could see their spouse that much but I assume that's because they are already married.

My sense of this could also be skewed since it was verbotin in the military to gently caress someone in your platoon, I was in a mixed gender unit, and my friends and family would constantly fight with me because a few years ago I thought it was a bad idea to date a girl I worked closely with 5 days a week 6-10 hours a day that usually consisted of being in a car by ourselves and who was 10 years younger than me. My argument was "What the hell would we talk about on a date after we just spent 8 hours around each other for the past week?" You may say "What about FWB?" and I would point out she was a fundamentalist Christian virgin.

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Well I hope you learned your lesson. :colbert:

Everytime I clean a kitchen a couple breaks up some time later? I promise never to clean again! Not just kitchens, why risk it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bruceski posted:

After his recent dishwasher detergent video I started using a rinse aid and WOW I wasn't expecting much of a difference but it felt like I was in in of those before/after commercials. Stuff dries faster with less/no detergent residue. I grew up with very hard water, so I was just used to residue of some sort or another on everything as long as it wasn't leftover food or toxic. A properly black saucepan was a bit of a shock.

Helps lessen the surface tension of water so it drains off the dishes better. It's very cheap, name brands are no better than store brand and a small amount lasts a long time. If you have a dishwasher I'd say check it out, worst case you don't notice a difference and you're out two bucks.

My experience is that it makes the glasses and plates unbearably squeaky and weird - but it's been literal decades since last time I tried. Maybe it's time to give it another shot?)

(We also have super soft water, which I guess could play into it somehow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Pomme de Terror posted:

There was an update on this one:
Girlfriend needs to get a job so she'll have at least some employment history if they break up. Stay at home girlfriend would be a pretty sweet gig with no kids or pets to deal with, but leaves her in a really ugly position if things go south. Like they very nearly did. And he needs to learn how to do housework whether they stay together or not.