Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CaptainSkinny posted:

It was one of the most popular games of that year and the demographic of people who play Star Wars games and watch cg sci-fi cartoons is nearly identical.

The target audience of Prodigy is 6-11 year olds. Fallen Order came out 2 years ago, so how many 4-9 year olds played it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean to me the things that made it feel strongly star wars like are the droids, that Drednok is Ikea brand General Grevious, the manual labor and heavy industrial areas of the mine, alien languages with no subtitles, and that Gwyn is standing there next to Not General Grevious wearing a cloak and when she started touching those gold bars I half expected them to float into her hand as she used the force. :v:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MikeJF posted:

Also, I really like the way they've done the holographic LCARS as 'opaque and physically solid over the consoles, but there are small UI elements that extend beyond '.

It's so much more usable than the holographic interfaces of Star Trek Picard where you vaguely gesture at thin unreadable transparent floating lines.

https://i.imgur.com/roUvn7r.mp4

And there's a really neat effect where it's semitransparent from behind but opaque from the front, so they can still do cool through-shots. It's super well thought out.

I do wish they didn't fall into the ALL FUTURE COMPUTERS MUST BE BLUE thing though.

People were suggesting that with the early cast list, but watching the episode actually stopped that doubt for me with things like Zero turning out to be Medusan. (And apparently Murf being a deep cut reference.). And there's a baked in mystery about these alpha quadrant species. And also from twitter the writer is clearly a massive trek nerd.

Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of the hovering holo-UI on the Protostar.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will definitely take Prodigy's version of the consoles over Picard just having those holograms in the air

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Eimi posted:

I mean to me the things that made it feel strongly star wars like are the droids, that Drednok is Ikea brand General Grevious, the manual labor and heavy industrial areas of the mine, alien languages with no subtitles, and that Gwyn is standing there next to Not General Grevious wearing a cloak and when she started touching those gold bars I half expected them to float into her hand as she used the force. :v:

I got Grievous vibes from Drednok as well. Murf struck me as an organic R2-D2/BB-8, since he's small, adorable, speaks in cute noises, and interfaces with consoles when no-one else knows how to do it.

The main thing that made it feel like Star Wars was the background music. First, there was just soooo much of it, like way more music than I'm used to hearing from TV Trek. In some places it was very reminiscent of Star Wars, around the 11 minute mark when Dal first speaks with Zero, for a second I thought I was hearing the Tatooine soundtrack from Episode IV.

I can excuse the amount of music in this episode though. Being the pilot, I imagine they purposely tried to make it seem like a movie. Hopefully they tone it down a little for the rest of the series.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eimi posted:

I assume the manual labour is because the glowing crystals react poorly to mining lasers. And the crystals are also the reason he couldn't use high energy scans to find the ship or the medusan.

The crystals are space magic to keep the other space magic from working so the story can happen.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I liked Prodigy overall. Agreed that it REALLY felt like a Starfleet ship somehow blundered into a Star Wars cartoon... and that this is not a bad thing. The show has all the elements to be really popular with its target audience, IF it can get some traction to start with.

And I'm still thinking of Murf as "the shiny Yaphit".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Eimi posted:

I can't wait for Ahsoka to make an appearance

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

I assume the manual labour is because the glowing crystals react poorly to mining lasers. And the crystals are also the reason he couldn't use high energy scans to find the ship or the medusan.

The crystals are space magic to keep the other space magic from working so the story can happen.

The Star Trek universe always seemed to be full of mines and factories where prisoners or slaves do back-breaking and dangerous labor. It just isn't in the Federation and when Starfleet personnel are in such places there's no reason to establish much about the labor being done.

This isn't presently a show about a Starfleet crew so it's naturally going to feel like other franchises relative to previous works that were nearly exclusively about Starfleet crews doing work for Starfleet. Star Wars is the most obvious one since it is very often about people like this show. That seems to be the core thing here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Floating UI stuff is really easier than having a thing that people can randomly tap on? Or do they need to have these weightless floaty things that they add in post to make it look more science fictiony? I can't think of a single scifi thing with them that they actually look like people interacted with them in any meaningful way.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Powered Descent posted:

And I'm still thinking of Murf as "the shiny Yaphit".

This post made me sad :(

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the floaty ui things are real good and should get adopted by all the other shows regardless of era

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Floating UI stuff is really easier than having a thing that people can randomly tap on? Or do they need to have these weightless floaty things that they add in post to make it look more science fictiony? I can't think of a single scifi thing with them that they actually look like people interacted with them in any meaningful way.

Heads-up display can be useful even if you don't touch it

This show looks like it uses it pretty well so far

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Adding nuance and depth to the villains would go a long way to making this feel a lot more like Trek. That's something Trek has a decent track record on, going as far back as TOS.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Killer robot posted:

The Star Trek universe always seemed to be full of mines and factories where prisoners or slaves do back-breaking and dangerous labor. It just isn't in the Federation and when Starfleet personnel are in such places there's no reason to establish much about the labor being done.

This isn't presently a show about a Starfleet crew so it's naturally going to feel like other franchises relative to previous works that were nearly exclusively about Starfleet crews doing work for Starfleet. Star Wars is the most obvious one since it is very often about people like this show. That seems to be the core thing here.

I just remembered the holographic Doctor miners and just how the gently caress was that supposed to make any sense.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

The main thing that made it feel like Star Wars was the background music. First, there was just soooo much of it, like way more music than I'm used to hearing from TV Trek. In some places it was very reminiscent of Star Wars, around the 11 minute mark when Dal first speaks with Zero, for a second I thought I was hearing the Tatooine soundtrack from Episode IV.

Thank you, it was entirely this that was throwing me off!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

We need a pensive mystery Trek that leans super hard on the synth tracks of early TNG, there's hundreds of synth musicians right now who would murder that sound

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

In Prodigy they show that the holos are solid, so you can actually tap the floating panels. That's why they're so much better than the ones in Picard.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 31, 2021

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Powered Descent posted:

I liked Prodigy overall. Agreed that it REALLY felt like a Starfleet ship somehow blundered into a Star Wars cartoon... and that this is not a bad thing.

I think it'd be interesting to have them solve problems the Star Trek™ way in a world of Star Wars shoot first ask questions later.

then have to deal with holojaneway genociding her enemies

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Having a black background so you actually have some contrast to your readouts and controls is pretty important. No matter how advanced holograms get, trying to read a bunch of stats or control something off a floating hologram with the background visible is going to be a lovely experience for the user.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Brawnfire posted:

We need a pensive mystery Trek that leans super hard on the synth tracks of early TNG, there's hundreds of synth musicians right now who would murder that sound

I'm watching Night Terrors right now for obvious reasons and the synth vibe from Ron Jones and a couple others in the early seasons is still mostly unmatched even today. Maybe a little too cheesy in the first season, but over the next couple years it matured into something super memorable and I'll always miss it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having a black background so you actually have some contrast to your readouts and controls is pretty important. No matter how advanced holograms get, trying to read a bunch of stats or control something off a floating hologram with the background visible is going to be a lovely experience for the user.

Yeah, the issue is that all this current trend was based on things like jet fighter HUDs, but the needs of an AR HUD are very different to what you want on a control panel display.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Prodigy good, enjoyed a lot. Want to see where it’s going next.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nitrousoxide posted:

I figured this out playing Deus Ex back in the day (21 years ago :corsair:) when I set the HUD to transparent and realised I couldn't read poo poo.

100% opaque was the only way to go.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I figured this out playing Deus Ex back in the day (21 years ago :corsair:) when I set the HUD to transparent and realised I couldn't read poo poo.

100% opaque was the only way to go.

If I'm designing a UI with transparency you can go with, like, 66% background opacity but a subtle extra glow in the background color around all the text to enhance the contrast. Generally not noticeable consciously but makes it way more readable.

Thankfully these days for webdev we have reliable background blur filters in CSS too so you can give people their demanded transparency and use a blur to fuzz out any sharp features that would cause readability issues.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 31, 2021

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Brawnfire posted:

Last time I bought a couch it came with an unemployed syth musician. "This daft punk record will by the year! I better upload my stuff to youtube!"

I threw away the couch eventually and like all syth musicians he turned into a bank teller.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MikeJF posted:

In Prodigy they show that the holos are solid, so you can actually tap the floating panels. That's why they're so much better than the ones in Picard.

Yea that's what I'm talking about, the floaty, see through type on Picard. They don't look good in the show because you can tell the actor isn't interacting with anything and also you could read them. Overlays like disco has on the windshield is fine to convey info but for everything? Nope. The programmable matter in disco is nice because at least there's a physical object thr actor can actually grasp.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Tbh the programmable matter in Disco was one of the few solidly futuristic ideas they had that seemed pretty neat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HD DAD posted:

Tbh the programmable matter in Disco was one of the few solidly futuristic ideas they had that seemed pretty neat.

And utterly squandered on every level because they put zero thought into it beyond *frantically jiggles keys in front of the camera while making sci-fi noises with his mouth.*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I dunno, when Detmer turned it into a yoke to pilot with because that's what she was most comfortable with was a great use of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wanna shove my hands in the goop the mush man does to jack into spore driverspace.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I dunno, when Detmer turned it into a yoke to pilot with because that's what she was most comfortable with was a great use of it.

It's cool but it's also something that 24th century tech could easily do, most uses for programmable matter aren't anything more than you can do with solid holograms except it's a bit slower and now it's silvery. At least they're exploring ideas like that now. (But the ability to summon solid shapes on command could do so much more for UI)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khanstant posted:

I wanna shove my hands in the goop the mush man does to jack into spore driverspace.

You can buy lube in 55 gallon drums on Amazon.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

MikeJF posted:

It's cool but it's also something that 24th century tech could easily do, most uses for programmable matter aren't anything more than you can do with solid holograms except it's a bit slower and now it's silvery. At least they're exploring ideas like that now. (But the ability to summon solid shapes on command could do so much more for UI)

between programmable matter and holograms, which is less likely to turn evil and menace me, because I feel like that would inform my design decisions a lot

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Killer robot posted:

In DS9's "Indiscretion ', we see a Breen owned dilithium mine that uses slave labor.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

angerbeet posted:

between programmable matter and holograms, which is less likely to turn evil and menace me, because I feel like that would inform my design decisions a lot

That's true, and it kinda tracks with what we've seen before: The holograms that were interrogating the Emporer were basically automatons, unsophisticated enough to be confounded by someone blinking at them. That never would have happened to holograms like Vic Fontaine or The Doctor or Moriarty.

I'm not saying that holograms like The Doctor are gone, but they might be severely restricted in what you can do with them and how many you could make. Programmable Matter may solve the hologram \ synth problem in a way that gives you the functionality you really need without imparting it with characteristics that may be complex enough to be considered cognition. So in a way, it makes sense that it isn't as 'sophisticated' as holograms were, and part of the drawback is that it isn't instantaneous. It's still quick enough that it serves the role it absolutely needs to serve.

I'd love if the New Star Treks were this planned out to have running stories about the history and future of the Federation that intersected each other in cool ways. I'd also love if the shows were better at dramatic presentation and instead of just The Chosen One, Wesley Crusher but more, Savior of the Federation (Discovery) they calmed down a bit and give a lot of B and C stories to the crew. Just have the episode lean on one of them a bit more to put color to the scenes, treat them as more than just lens flares. Lower Decks shows that they can do it if they really want to.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

ashpanash posted:

That's true, and it kinda tracks with what we've seen before: The holograms that were interrogating the Emporer were basically automatons, unsophisticated enough to be confounded by someone blinking at them. That never would have happened to holograms like Vic Fontaine or The Doctor or Moriarty.

I'm not saying that holograms like The Doctor are gone, but they might be severely restricted in what you can do with them and how many you could make. Programmable Matter may solve the hologram \ synth problem in a way that gives you the functionality you really need without imparting it with characteristics that may be complex enough to be considered cognition. So in a way, it makes sense that it isn't as 'sophisticated' as holograms were, and part of the drawback is that it isn't instantaneous. It's still quick enough that it serves the role it absolutely needs to serve.

I guess they finally got sick of homicidal holograms after 900 years.

quote:

I'd love if the New Star Treks were this planned out to have running stories about the history and future of the Federation that intersected each other in cool ways. I'd also love if the shows were better at dramatic presentation and instead of just The Chosen One, Wesley Crusher but more, Savior of the Federation (Discovery) they calmed down a bit and give a lot of B and C stories to the crew. Just have the episode lean on one of them a bit more to put color to the scenes, treat them as more than just lens flares. Lower Decks shows that they can do it if they really want to.

Disco had a chance to do a fun mix of story-of-the-week and Savior of the Federation by shroomjumping to old Federation plants and helping them and/or getting them to rejoin, but it looks like they decided to have that cool and fun poo poo happen off screen and instead we're gonna get the 817th Threat To The Galaxy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

Forcefields and holograms disappear when the power goes out. Matter is still matter. Without power it may not be able to transform, but your programable matter bed won't vanish in the middle of the night if the power goes out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah I was just talking about the screens and control panels and things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Forcefields and holograms disappear when the power goes out. Matter is still matter. Without power it may not be able to transform, but your programable matter bed won't vanish in the middle of the night if the power goes out.

The first thing they could've done is combine their signature trek-y devices into one programmable-matter thing as the futuristic version of a smartphone; It's a phaser. Now it's a tricorder. Now it's a commbadge.