Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Hard mode done in 3:34, had to get better at not getting hit and countering. I want to play yet again and pull off some of the sequence breaks.

I think this is the only Metroid where the villain/final boss is just a dude and not some kind of abominable space monster? At least until the X gets him, but that's not really a fight.

It's very cool how in the counter cutscene for Z57 Samus uses her speed booster jets to slow down after jumping off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FooF posted:

However, I was surprised how quickly the game introduced you to the new environments. In Super, you make a quick trip into Norfair before returning and the Wrecked Ship is on the outskirts of Maridia before you really go into Maridia proper but you kind of stay in the same biome for large chunks of time. In Dread, you're jumping all over the place. The only thing I kept expecting, but never got, was going into an area "above" Cataris. That area seems conspicuously empty.

I've heard theories that the big conspicuous gap in the map has 'DLC' written all over it. (mind you, reminds me of Disco Elysium literally having a truck with 'DLC' written on it that might just be trolling)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard theories that the big conspicuous gap in the map has 'DLC' written all over it. (mind you, reminds me of Disco Elysium literally having a truck with 'DLC' written on it that might just be trolling)

Pretty sure that’s less “DLC” and more “covoid loving up dev time” actually.
Judging by what happens in the finale, I’m pretty sure there was going to be a Kraid-X or Neo Kraid boss fight at some point, for example.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Why was Kraid there anyway? Why was he chained up?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Merkinman posted:

One of the concept chozo lore or whatever they call the unlocked art shows Raven Beak and other Chozo warriors capturing him off Zebes (or whatever native planets Kraids come from). Presumably as a test to Samus, or maybe just generic coming of age ceremony test for young Chozos.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

FeyerbrandX posted:

One of the concept chozo lore or whatever they call the unlocked art shows Raven Beak and other Chozo warriors capturing him off Zebes (or whatever native planets Kraids come from). Presumably as a test to Samus, or maybe just generic coming of age ceremony test for young Chozos.

I had assumed it was for biological experimentation, considering it's Raven Beak's plan to use metroids as weapons, he could be looking for other potential bioweapons or just trying to make useful discoveries. Similar to Experiment Z-57 (getting zapped in the background with lasers). And it's really easy to miss even on multiple playthroughs, but did everyone catch the lil easter egg, a clear outline of a cryogenically frozen draygon in a tube in dairon? Only visible when the power is out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've never actually even thought Kraids as a whole species instead of just one super being born out of mutation or genetic experimentation or something. Of course it absolutely makes sense when you start to think about it. There are even mini Kraids in Super Metroid

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

TeaJay posted:

I've never actually even thought Kraids as a whole species instead of just one super being born out of mutation or genetic experimentation or something. Of course it absolutely makes sense when you start to think about it. There are even mini Kraids in Super Metroid

I always just assumed he was big on cloning decoys of himself given OG Metroid has a fake Kraid too.

In Dread the way he acts towards Samus feels kind of personal though.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Re: Kraid

If the whole "Raven Beak staged this whole thing to unlock Samus' Metroid metamorphosis" then capturing [a] Kraid makes sense as a challenge to further push Samus to her limits. I'd still say that's a weak reason but out-of-universe, Kraid is a crowd-pleaser and wink back at previous titles. By that logic, Ridley should probably be in it, too, but maybe he's finally dead? (Who am I kidding, he'll be in the next one!)

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FooF posted:

Re: Kraid

If the whole "Raven Beak staged this whole thing to unlock Samus' Metroid metamorphosis" then capturing [a] Kraid makes sense as a challenge to further push Samus to her limits. I'd still say that's a weak reason but out-of-universe, Kraid is a crowd-pleaser and wink back at previous titles. By that logic, Ridley should probably be in it, too, but maybe he's finally dead? (Who am I kidding, he'll be in the next one!)

Super Metroid is the "canon" death of Ridley. At one point they were asked why he shows up in Fusion the way he does. And the answer was, "I don't know."

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

500th try on the finally boss where I kept running out of rockets and had given up hope:

https://twitter.com/MooseFriend4/status/1454891196866711554?s=20

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hrist posted:

Super Metroid is the "canon" death of Ridley. At one point they were asked why he shows up in Fusion the way he does. And the answer was, "I don't know."

Thank goodness Other M cleared up that plot hole! :dumb:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Asterite34 posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I finally completed Other M earlier this week, 11 years after buying it on launch day. It's bad, folks.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Asterite34 posted:

Other M is truely a cautionary tale. Don't create plot holes in your future stories. Or else. :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A Bag of Milk posted:

I had assumed it was for biological experimentation, considering it's Raven Beak's plan to use metroids as weapons, he could be looking for other potential bioweapons or just trying to make useful discoveries. Similar to Experiment Z-57 (getting zapped in the background with lasers). And it's really easy to miss even on multiple playthroughs, but did everyone catch the lil easter egg, a clear outline of a cryogenically frozen draygon in a tube in dairon? Only visible when the power is out.

I caught that too, wasn't sure if it was Draygon or the Parasite Queen from Prime.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Merkinman posted:

Rule of cool

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fusion shows the carcass of Ridley that heavily resembles his Super self. Honestly the entirety of Other M is skippable given that it is an interquel that isnt entertaining on its own, and adds nothing to the canon. The death of Adam could easily be relegated to a tie-in comic.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

So many parts of Other M just feel like a lesser copy of Fusion

- Space station split into sectors
- Secret area where they're breeding Metroids that gets jettisoned
- Nightmare
- Adam locking doors so that you can't stray too far

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just watched a youtube video called "The Other M that Never Was" (might have been linked in this thread, not sure) that goes into how the Japanese story works a lot better, and the localization basically removed all the metroidvania atmosphere from it accidentally.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I watched one run where the guy fights Experiment Z-57, but he didn't have Space Jump or Spin Boost. Dude had to use Cross Bomb jumping to dodge the double armswipe combos.

Oh poo poo, that's a good idea. I didn't have those either when I did it though. I was just able to tank that hit, and wall jump during the speed boost section (less damage) to barely scrape by on hard mode.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the localization probably didn't help matters, but i really doubt that other m was secretly an incredible masterpiece in the original language instead of still being kind of bad

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WKuU8JayeA

mastajake posted:

I just watched a youtube video called "The Other M that Never Was" (might have been linked in this thread, not sure) that goes into how the Japanese story works a lot better, and the localization basically removed all the metroidvania atmosphere from it accidentally.
This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTuMfsWwd0E

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This game was so drat good. I haven't felt this "satisfied"? with a game in a long time. It was just a blast the whole way through. I got angry, I yelled 'gently caress you!' as i died to bosses and also 'gently caress you!!' after I killed said bosses.

Just a great game, definitely my goty so far

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
even if you completely ignore the story other m is still not great tbqh

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Booky posted:

the localization probably didn't help matters, but i really doubt that other m was secretly an incredible masterpiece in the original language instead of still being kind of bad

That's pretty much what I got out of watching the video, was that English Other M was disastrously, hilariously bad, whereas Japanese Other M was just bad. He doesn't argue that the portrayal of Samus in Other M was good, just that it wasn't the burning trainwreck it became in English.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The pixel hunts (I forgot they existed until just now) and the missile aiming were really bad. I think if they removed those things, and allowed a normal controller option, the gameplay would have been fine. Maybe not great. But probably alot more tolerable. But the story is just nonsense. They'd have to just remove it and put in some of the show don't tell that the older games had. Other M needs an overhaul on everything.

I also heard someone on a pod cast the other day blaming the story on Team Ninja, after they played it the first time recently. Which is amazing. But I guess we're so far removed from the event that people are getting the facts confused already.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

It seems a bit strange that an English translation could be so off base from the original source. Like, we're past the days of Ted Woolsey having to drastically alter the script to make it fit both in the game cartridges and into Nintendo of America's policies. This was a game where story was basically the selling point, I would have thought there would be better oversight from someone in Japan to make sure the translation would be more in sync, especially since Sakamoto apparently had a role in directing the English voice actress of Samus.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, and what I Am Just A Box said is what I got too. It wasn't a good game, but when you look at some of the translations the person did it is a lot more passable.

Also, the whole Phantoon being basically a ghost of a Mother Brain thing is cool.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Hrist posted:

lets be honest, Ridley has died and come back so many times that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they somehow found his still mostly intact corpse floating around space where Zebes used to be

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I think the one thing that is standing out for me right now is that even though I've beaten the game 5 times, I keep thinking about playing the game. I know all the tricks, I can sequence break, beat bosses without taking a hit and 100% if I want to but I'm still drawn back because the game is just fun. I know there was a lot of controversy over the AAA price tag but I've already spent about 30 hours on the game and enjoyed every single minute.

I really hope they make a sequel or at least push out some DLC. It's not a "small" game (it's by far the largest Metroid in map size) but I wish there was about twice as much of it. It's a lot like Breath of the Wild in that you don't want it to end. I feel like this Samus/gameplay style would lend itself to 2 to 3 more games really easily.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't need a completely cohesive story in my Metroid games when it comes to storytelling through gameplay. I don't need an excuse for Samus to loser her powers between games, and I don't need a reason to fight Ridley and Kraid.

We fight Ridley because it just feels right to do so. I'm not questioning Kraid just randomly appearing in Dread and I feel like we're missing something without Ridley as well.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FooF posted:

I think the one thing that is standing out for me right now is that even though I've beaten the game 5 times, I keep thinking about playing the game. I know all the tricks, I can sequence break, beat bosses without taking a hit and 100% if I want to but I'm still drawn back because the game is just fun. I know there was a lot of controversy over the AAA price tag but I've already spent about 30 hours on the game and enjoyed every single minute.

I really hope they make a sequel or at least push out some DLC. It's not a "small" game (it's by far the largest Metroid in map size) but I wish there was about twice as much of it. It's a lot like Breath of the Wild in that you don't want it to end. I feel like this Samus/gameplay style would lend itself to 2 to 3 more games really easily.

Yeah generally speaking I don't usually care about DLC in games and I often skip it altogether, but a Dread DLC would be a day 1 buy for me. Just throw some more bosses into the game world and I'll be happy.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
In an accidental self-own, I got to the final boss without space jump. Took a goddamn while to do that loving fight without it... oof.

I was just too focused on following the early pick-up guides and wondering when I'd encounter it until I was at the final boss' door and wondering how that happened. Anyway, it's possible on normal, but would be a nightmare on hard. Makes me miss the ability to selectively deactivate upgrades from Super.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FooF posted:

It's so drat good

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Bluff Buster posted:

This was a game where story was basically the selling point, I would have thought there would be better oversight from someone in Japan to make sure the translation would be more in sync, especially since Sakamoto apparently had a role in directing the English voice actress of Samus.

I would suggest this is exactly a warning sign that there wasn't good oversight. I'm going to consider assuming Sakamoto doesn't speak fluent English the charitable interpretation given what he okayed, and say a person who does not speak English should not be personally directing an English voice actor or supervising an English script translation. A lot of the problems with Other M seem to stem from Sakamoto trusting his directorial instincts so much that he overlooked the places where you need to delegate to somebody else's expertise. See also his executive decision to use four buttons and a D-pad for a 3D character action game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hrist posted:

The pixel hunts (I forgot they existed until just now) and the missile aiming were really bad. I think if they removed those things, and allowed a normal controller option, the gameplay would have been fine. Maybe not great. But probably alot more tolerable. But the story is just nonsense. They'd have to just remove it and put in some of the show don't tell that the older games had. Other M needs an overhaul on everything.

I also heard someone on a pod cast the other day blaming the story on Team Ninja, after they played it the first time recently. Which is amazing. But I guess we're so far removed from the event that people are getting the facts confused already.

When I emulated it I used a cheat code that allows for missiles to be fired in third person view and yeah it's still not great. Dodge being mapped to movement with zero cooldown meant I spent most boss battles randomly wiggling the stick until they finished attacking. It's a really half baked approximation of a character action game.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Other M’s gameplay maybe could have been actually better and be more successful at attempting a character action metroid game if it weren’t stuck to using a single wiimote for the entire control scheme. Like, at the very least, using a proper controller or possibly even just attaching the nunchuck to it could have opened the controls and the combat to be expanded upon a bit more instead of being forced to go with a very simplified control scheme (with wack-rear end first person missile aiming) to make the whole thing work on the wiimote.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bluff Buster posted:

It seems a bit strange that an English translation could be so off base from the original source. Like, we're past the days of Ted Woolsey having to drastically alter the script to make it fit both in the game cartridges and into Nintendo of America's policies. This was a game where story was basically the selling point, I would have thought there would be better oversight from someone in Japan to make sure the translation would be more in sync, especially since Sakamoto apparently had a role in directing the English voice actress of Samus.
Every choice they made was a deliberate one, just like it was a deliberate choice to make Samus sound flat and monotone for so much of the english dub.

The whole bit with Adam going from begging Samus to use her missiles to save them to giving her authorization to use her missiles in the localization blows my mind. That's like a huge chunk of the character assassination right there.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
https://twitter.com/nukokoko/status/1454803004176044036?s=20

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Occasionally, I have anxiety dreams about work. Last night? An anxiety dream about getting through an EMMI zone.

I guess I appreciate the change of pace? Thanks, subconscious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Bob Socko posted:

Occasionally, I have anxiety dreams about work. Last night? An anxiety dream about getting through an EMMI zone.

I guess I appreciate the change of pace? Thanks, subconscious?

I was at the movies and they had an ad for Dread and the EMMI chirp make me surprisingly tense.