Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp8fGJtM47k

Ross covered my white whale game from my childhood! I remember this tome of ~10 cds that had to be inserted one by one. I totally forgot the game's name until now!

10 CDs, huh? Man, back in the day we were totally normalized on that poo poo. I remember looking at my 4 Baldur's Gate CDs and going, "oh, only 4?".

One of my first encounters with computerized technology was a friend trying to show me a weird WWI-simulation game on Amiga. It had 14 discs. 14 of those little plastic squares. We dutifully loaded all 14 discs two loving times, waiting patiently for what felt for an hour, but the game always crashed after showing the intro. Afterwards we just gave up in disgust and played some weird Star Craft clone on another computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oh HELL yeah

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SteelMentor posted:

Holy poo poo that Mandalore video.

I'm cringing myself inside out 3 times over.

I knew... SO MANY guys exactly in the same mindset as Haze. Massively insecure and aimlessly misanthropic despite a relatively comfy life, obsessive with protecting "innocence", worrying detailed and sadistic plans for torturing and murdering wrongdoers (whether they deserved it or not, would it shock you their main targets of ire turned from pedos to Feminism around the time of GamerGate?).

The stream was funny, even if Mandalore had played it before and knew what was coming.

5 might uses in some guy said "Haze was literally me in high school" and it just set the tone from there.

CYBEReris posted:

ive been thinking about what haze with his smug expression reminded me of and suddenly realized it's yuri from shadow hearts and now its all i can see

Something about the art makes me think of a 12 year Olds Eminem based OC

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Libluini posted:

10 CDs, huh? Man, back in the day we were totally normalized on that poo poo. I remember looking at my 4 Baldur's Gate CDs and going, "oh, only 4?".

One of my first encounters with computerized technology was a friend trying to show me a weird WWI-simulation game on Amiga. It had 14 discs. 14 of those little plastic squares. We dutifully loaded all 14 discs two loving times, waiting patiently for what felt for an hour, but the game always crashed after showing the intro. Afterwards we just gave up in disgust and played some weird Star Craft clone on another computer.

I was wrong, it was a different FMV game that I got during the same Christmas, lol

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

still a better death note adaptation than the netflix one

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Famethrowa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp8fGJtM47k

Ross covered my white whale game from my childhood! I remember this tome of ~10 cds that had to be inserted one by one. I totally forgot the game's name until now!

Wait, this came on multiple CDs? I remember selling Playstation copies of it and it was just one disc, what did they do with the PC version?!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAWxMYu847E

nitrorad finally got his halloween video up (finally in that he's usually started a series in september :v:)

It's one of his best yet, production value wise.

The panning shot of horror games having jimmy neutron gave me a laugh.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Wait, this came on multiple CDs? I remember selling Playstation copies of it and it was just one disc, what did they do with the PC version?!

the pc version did not come on multiple CDs

it is extremely funny though, because the PC version was released in 2000 and was graphically comparable to launch PS2 games, and then the publisher was like "we're doing a console port. To the PS1. And it all has to fit on 1 CD."

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CDs nuts

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Martian Gothic was originally designed as an adventure game and then it did not have a good time making the switch to RE clone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The latest Jenny Patreon video is her watching a Scooby Doo movie with a bonkers voice cast. Like Jay Leno and Lauren Bacall are in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching Mandalore's Anonymous Agony video Haze sounds like Cosmonaut Marcus reading douchebro dialogue.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Man Martian Gothic, I still remember watching the SBF Shitstorm episode on it ages ago. I love watching videos and LP's of weirdo RE knockoffs because they're almost always this weird mix of janky fifth gen graphics, general clunkyness, insane plots and terrible voice acting that makes the whole experience feel like peering into someone's fever dream.

Kibayasu posted:

I think Martian Gothic was originally designed as an adventure game and then it did not have a good time making the switch to RE clone.

Incidentally this is also what happened to Deadly Premonition, which is arguably (very, very arguably) a much more successful example of this trend.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Macaluso posted:

Oh HELL yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zyGQquL8VM

overall a pretty good episode. curious where it will go.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm watching Mandalore's Anonymous Agony video Haze sounds like Cosmonaut Marcus reading douchebro dialogue.

Some of the memes coming from it are :discourse:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

i will say how loving perfect the voice acting is. like the dude just loving nails the tone and line reads and makes this poo poo art.

haze rules.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ducks bite.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Haze's VA is Matt Shipman who, going by his IMDB, has gone on to have a respectable anime dubbing career

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4974834/?ref_=hm_rvi_nm_i_1

also the shonen villain ultimate evil self-professed god of child molestation is voiced by current memelord Gianni Matragrano

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

Haze's VA is Matt Shipman who, going by his IMDB, has gone on to have a respectable anime dubbing career

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4974834/?ref_=hm_rvi_nm_i_1

also the shonen villain ultimate evil self-professed god of child molestation is voiced by current memelord Gianni Matragrano

lol what, he was Cavendish in One Piece. And the protagonist in Darling in the Franxx.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

anonymous agony is in this weird zone where like, it appears to have been mostly finished in like, 2010 but also somehow only released in 2019. So you have this very weird thing where the primary voice actor was a nobody when it was made, but is also a serious big name dude in the EN dubbing scene when it actually gets anything resembling attention

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zyGQquL8VM

overall a pretty good episode. curious where it will go.

There's a lot to unpack at the end there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

There's a lot to unpack at the end there.

Yeah. I thought the songs dragged a little too long but yeah, a lot of folks have a lot of issues. like i do like that you get an explanation of why blitz always stalks moxxie and millie all the time and i like that fizz is basicaly just the blitz that "made it" and that everyone who makes it in hell is some unfulfilled rear end in a top hat who drowns themselves in their excess so they don't feel empty on some level. also moxxie and millie continue to be wholesome as gently caress.

i assume there will be a season 2(i heard probably about 3 or 4 seasons probably) but i think hazbin is finally found a network to stream or whatever from and that will be announced soon.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 1, 2021

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Solid one about the first Fatal Frame and how it’s different elements and backstory reinforce one another… mostly.

https://youtu.be/veSoBrSVsFE

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is behind the curve but I saw some of the nostalgia critics The Wall and god drat he might be the dumbest man alive.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

This is behind the curve but I saw some of the nostalgia critics The Wall and god drat he might be the dumbest man alive.

Folding Idea's analysis of it is pretty incredible, and identifies every theme and metaphor that Nostalgia Critic manages to misunderstand.

https://youtu.be/rokAtlFGa7Y

Did you reach the horny dancing puppets?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Acerbatus posted:

I never got into Channel Awesome, but that Dan Olson video about it from six months ago is mindboggling in a lot of ways. It's like Doug was invested in doubling down on some freshman-year film student hot take he had about The Wall. And maybe it's because I'm not that familiar with his other content but it felt like maybe half the time he was missing the point and being dumb, and then the other half he kind of understood it but was too invested in forcing a mean spirited dump on it to extrapolate any kind of worthwhile reading.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
During the heyday of Rage Critics, many were playing the persona of kinda dumb cartoon men but got bored of the schtick and moved on (see: James Rolfe) but there were also plenty of actual dumb cartoon men who could flourish in the same space until they tried to pivot to actual critique (see: Doug Walker)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

anonymous agony is in this weird zone where like, it appears to have been mostly finished in like, 2010 but also somehow only released in 2019. So you have this very weird thing where the primary voice actor was a nobody when it was made, but is also a serious big name dude in the EN dubbing scene when it actually gets anything resembling attention

It's like the A Certain Sacrifice of video games.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I tend to think Doug is just unable or unwilling to understand what any piece of art is, other than at the most superficial level. A second Ernest Cline.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I remember him having the occasional decent insight, but that might just be the Mandela effect or sunk cost fallacy at work in my mind.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Doug is pretty blatantly doing what hack critics try to do and go after a universally beloved and respected work to prove how dumb and bad it is, actually, and show how smart and cool he is.

That's his shtick as the NC but it's way less effective when he's not going after 80s kids movies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

And maybe it's because I'm not that familiar with his other content but it felt like maybe half the time he was missing the point and being dumb, and then the other half he kind of understood it but was too invested in forcing a mean spirited dump on it to extrapolate any kind of worthwhile reading.

This is Doug's approach to basically everything he produces for public consumption: Comedy* Uber Alles. Unfortunately, his sense of humor is bad and dumb, so his jokes suck and fall flat and he's the type of comedian who responds to a joke bombing by leaning even harder into it with a dab of attacking the audience for not laughing mixed in. He's also intellectually lazy and incurious and has just been coasting for a long rear end time.

His audience are just as big of intellectual derelicts as he is, that's why they're still watching him on the order 500k a video in 2021. Dan hit it right on the head in that Doug is trapped in a half-assed hell of his own making, but is too lazy to bother to try and break out of it and by improving himself because he just doesn't care.

The only thing I've ever seen him give an earnest poo poo about trying to actually properly understand and evaluate was Avatar: The Last Airbender and that was over half a decade ago now.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve not seen The Wall but I did once look up the animated trial sequence on YouTube and then read the Wikipedia article. I thought, these animated grotesqueries are supposed to represent people and systems that suck, but ultimately they frame “tearing down the wall” as something that needs to happen, so there’s a lot going on here. That’s apparently more thought than the big movie critic put in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve not seen The Wall but I did once look up the animated trial sequence on YouTube and then read the Wikipedia article. I thought, these animated grotesqueries are supposed to represent people and systems that suck, but ultimately they frame “tearing down the wall” as something that needs to happen, so there’s a lot going on here. That’s apparently more thought than the big movie critic put in.

Pink, the main character in The Wall, is traumatized by an abusive school system, an overprotective mother who smothered him after his father died in WW2 and a toxic relationship with his wife where his own self loathing pushed her away. He metaphorically builds a wall between himself and the outside world to protect himself via isolation, to the point where he becomes catatonic and unable to perform shows without getting hopped up on drugs to function. The Wall needs to be destroyed because the isolation is just as self destructive as the rest of his life. The Trial is Pink's inner conflict where the part of him that needs to get out again sentences the sad sack that built the wall to have those barriers torn down. It's a punishment but also a form of salvation.

But let's do some creepy CGI sex Muppets instead.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Dr Christmas posted:

It's more of an psychological angle than an political one with those per se. In the animated sections before you could definitely read the past animation sequences as satiric forces of opposition but in the trail it's about self-realization of influences. An very psycho-therapeutic scene.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

I wonder if The Wall review would have gotten even a fraction of attention and mockery it did if Doug didn't let Fennah and his weird incongruent bullshit run wild over so much of the video? Like it would still be dumb and bad and miss the point by roughly the aphelion of Haley's Comet, but it wouldn't have been "...what the ungodly gently caress was that?" like it wound up actually being.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the wall is the perfect doug video because it tells you everything you need to know about doug and why you shouldnt watch his videos or pay any attention to him

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the wall is the perfect doug video because it tells you everything you need to know about doug and why you shouldnt watch his videos or pay any attention to him

It really is.

Lame jokes aimed at elements that he failed to understand. Leaning negative because angry shouting man gets more clicks than liking stuff. Making the points about his own personal issues/opinions. And cowardly doing an 180 at the end and going "You know, it wasn't that bad, I see why people like it" just in case some of his audience like the source material enough to call out his bullshit.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Solitair posted:

I remember him having the occasional decent insight, but that might just be the Mandela effect or sunk cost fallacy at work in my mind.

I think he has a way of telling a story as if he understands it, because I used to feel that way about him too.
Sometimes he even does/did some research (like the avatar example mentioned above), but most of the time its just his own base takes and minimal insight that he puts into the review.
Even then, I have no idea how he could have thought that The Wall was a good review on any level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

One of my favorite things about Doug's the wall video is how Doug/NC goes from attacking the wall in the majority of the review, to randomly defending it when he's supposed to represent some inane strawman. Like who is Doug supposed to represent? The critic? the Audience? the movie's fans? All of the above/depends on which scene you're watching! lol

Like not only does Doug not understand how movies work, he doesn't even understand how reviews, even lovely channel awesome style reviews with skits and waaaaacky characters (a style he pioneered!), work. There are LAYERS to his stupidity and misunderstanding of art. He's a 7 layer bean dip of media illiteracy.