Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Where is that weather widget that matches the lockscreen widget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

sarcastx posted:

The problem is that Smart Lock disables this functionality; pressing the power button just turns the screen off:

This is the desired functionality 99.9% of the time, but I still want to be able to lock the phone manually without going to Lockdown

edit: screenshot

When you hold down the power button you should get a "lockdown" option. You might need to enable this in the settings. And disable "hold power button for assistant"

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Phone posting from Pixel 6 Pro. Big fan but lots of tweaking to get it how I want for sure. The 4x4 default grid was indeed some boomer poo poo.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

Their thin fit case is probably what you want, think of it more as scratch protection rather than drop protection tho.

For what it's worth, I got both the Ultra Hybrid and the Thin Fit and found there's very little difference between the two other than aesthetics. I figure their other versions (Tough/Rugged) are the ones you want for more drop protection.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

starting to think I might be the only person using Smart Lock and Google Pay lol

ok re-asking the question for simplicity since it seems to be confusing a few folks:

Configuration:
Pixel 6 Pro. Smart Lock enabled. Fingerprint security. Press+Hold power button brings up power menu.

Situation:
Pressing the power button in this configuration turns the screen off, does not lock the phone.
Prior method of manually locking phone to require fingerprint (touch padlock icon) no longer applies any type of lock.

Desire:
Ability to lock phone on-demand. A regular lock, the type you can unlock via fingerprint. Not lockdown (this is why I mentioned "not lockdown" in both the posts on this topic).

Unfortunately, not a solution:
"Just pressing the power button": Smart lock is on; as a result the power button just turns the screen off.
"Disable press and hold for Assistant, then press Lockdown": I do not want to use lockdown.

It is likely that what I want is impossible thanks to Google's design changes! If that's the case I'll have to deal with it.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 31, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

Phone posting from Pixel 6 Pro. Big fan but lots of tweaking to get it how I want for sure. The 4x4 default grid was indeed some boomer poo poo.

It's not a surprise when they hired the lead product designer from Jitterbug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmY0ndG-U8A

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 31, 2021

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

eSporks posted:

This is bad.
It looks like a toggled some accessibility option.

The now playing tile doest show up when notifications are expanded. If I expand the quick settings, it shows up but is below the screen.

Way to go Google.

I havent run into the now playing thing yet. This qouldnt be that bad if there was a toggle to just swap to icons instead of icons and text. Because that takes up too much goddamn room.

The rest is whatever but the notification area on 12 is garbage.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I’m watching people turn into boomers in real time. This is exciting.

lol alright bigwheels.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

grack posted:

Thank god we have a catte pic, now we can truly evaluate how good the cameras are.

I forgot to explain this photo:
Miss Malory is my new cellphone camera test subject.

iPhone 11 Pro, full auto, 1x zoom

Good focus, good lighting balance (I think), but maybe just a tinge overexposed.

Samsung Galaxy S20+, full auto, Auto HDR, scene optimizer ON,1x zoom

Absolutely ridiculous HDR color saturation & exposure.

Samsung Galaxy S20+, full auto, Auto HDR OFF, scene optimizer ON, 1x zoom

Still oversaturated, but better

Samsung Galaxy S20+, full auto, Auto HDR OFF, scene optimizer OFF, 1x zoom

This is the first photo I took with the Samsung that actually looks right; note that there's some "caramel" tones to her fur in the earlier photos that are pretty much gone here. This is a gray cat.

Samsung Galaxy S20+, full auto in PRO mode + RAW, 1x zoom

This is ultimately how I got the best results out of the Samsung; of course, after you left the camera it'd default back to chump mode after a day or two and nag you to enable Auto HDR.

Below are some new photos:
Pixel 6 Pro, full auto, 1x zoom:

Pixel 6 Pro, Portrait Mode, 2x zoom:

Interesting how much darker she is here.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

sarcastx posted:

starting to think I might be the only person using Smart Lock and Google Pay lol

ok re-asking the question for simplicity since it seems to be confusing a few folks:

Configuration:
Pixel 6 Pro. Smart Lock enabled. Fingerprint security. Press+Hold power button brings up power menu.

Situation:
Pressing the power button in this configuration turns the screen off, does not lock the phone.
Prior method of manually locking phone to require fingerprint (touch padlock icon) no longer applies any type of lock.

Desire:
Ability to lock phone on-demand. A regular lock, the type you can unlock via fingerprint. Not lockdown (this is why I mentioned "not lockdown" in both the posts on this topic).

"Just pressing the power button": Smart lock is on; as a result the power button just turns the screen off.
"Disable press and hold for Assistant, then press Lockdown": I do not want to use lockdown.

It is likely that what I want is impossible thanks to Google's design changes! If that's the case I'll have to deal with it.

Oh I see what you mean

I turned off smart lock a long time ago as picking up my phone with my finger on the scanner is so simple I didt find any benefit from having it unlocked already.

What do you get out of smart lock?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why are my alarms always muted?

Phone volume is up.
DND is off.
Alarm specific volume is up in the volume controls.
In the clock app, alarm volume is up (why is this separate?!??!?)

Every time I open the clock app, I get a pop up that says "alarm volume is muted" with a button to unmute. I push the button, but the alarm still doesn't chime.

Not only that, the clock app used to pop up a notification even when it was silent. Now it just ticks away into the negative with no notification or anything.

Oh, and Google assistant is still intermittently broken since several months ago. Last week I got it to add some groceries to my list, but then it couldn't pull up the list, and I have no idea which one of Google's various fragmented apps it put the list in.

I really just want my phone's basic functions to work.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone else having trouble pulling down the notification shade too far when you want to see your all notifications? Mine almost always will pull the entire thing down and show me the quick toggles. I can't seem to nail down why it does that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

sarcastx posted:

Configuration:

Situation:

Desire:

Find a widget that locks the phone. Unlock with fingerprint.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

cage-free egghead posted:

Anyone else having trouble pulling down the notification shade too far when you want to see your all notifications? Mine almost always will pull the entire thing down and show me the quick toggles. I can't seem to nail down why it does that.

Is this happening right after you unlock the phone by chance? There seems to be a bug where if you swipe quickly after unlocking then it does this.

If it's happening all the time then I'm not sure.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah after unlock, figured it was a bug. Thanks

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
What are the odds they add face unlock via Pixel Feature Drop?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TVGM posted:

What are the odds they add face unlock via Pixel Feature Drop?

Incredibly low? The 6 doesn't have the IR sensors the 4 had, for "real" face unlock. It simply has a normal front-facing camera.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 31, 2021

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I honestly don't get the hate. A deep dive through the settings and preferences (as well as asking a couple of questions here) and I have the phone operating identically to how it did in a11 in all the ways that matter to me. I guess the design language is a little bubbly, but nothing I won't get used to, and also that won't be refined over time.

The finger print sensor is grumpy in direct strong sunlight. I'd imagine that can be fixed in updates.

Extra buffalo sauce please thank you.

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 31, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

eSporks posted:

Why are my alarms always muted?

Phone volume is up.
DND is off.
Alarm specific volume is up in the volume controls.
In the clock app, alarm volume is up (why is this separate?!??!?)

Every time I open the clock app, I get a pop up that says "alarm volume is muted" with a button to unmute. I push the button, but the alarm still doesn't chime.

Not only that, the clock app used to pop up a notification even when it was silent. Now it just ticks away into the negative with no notification or anything.

Oh, and Google assistant is still intermittently broken since several months ago. Last week I got it to add some groceries to my list, but then it couldn't pull up the list, and I have no idea which one of Google's various fragmented apps it put the list in.

I really just want my phone's basic functions to work.
Ok.
So a calendar event is set to busy and messing with alarms, which is kinda dumb in the first place, but I also don't have the option to change it away from busy either.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

eSporks posted:

Ok.
So a calendar event is set to busy and messing with alarms, which is kinda dumb in the first place, but I also don't have the option to change it away from busy either.

Do not disturb settings, schedules, events.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do not disturb settings, schedules, events.
No settings for DND come up when I search except for an app whitelist.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

eSporks posted:

No settings for DND come up when I search except for an app whitelist.

Settings -> Notifications -> Do Not Disturb (under General) -> Schedules -> Events (tap gear for settings) -> Do Not Disturb Behaviour

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like android 12 :colbert:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Settings -> Notifications -> Do Not Disturb (under General) -> Schedules -> Events (tap gear for settings) -> Do Not Disturb Behaviour
Thanks!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Casu Marzu posted:

:hai:

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
My biggest Pixel 6 (non-pro) complaint is with the speakers. Watching content on Disney+ I can hardly hear the speakers until almost max volume, at which point they suddenly become loud but not great sounding. It's like they go from too quiet to too loud with a single click of the volume slider.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Well, ordered a 6 Pro through Xfinity and apparently they're shipping it to our old billing address 3 hours away in another state where we haven't lived for 2 years. Looks like I'll be enjoying some time on hold with them tomorrow =/

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

Casu Marzu posted:

Same. I like it a lot.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any way in Nova Launcher to specify how many icon rows and columns you want in homescreen folders? You can do that for the app drawer but I don't see the same for the folders.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My 6Pro has now restated at least half a dozen times in 36 hours. I don't know if it's 12 or the phone, but it's rather frustrating.

Might just return this thing and stick with the 4XL for a while.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not really a fan of the pink, but the adaptive color based on background works okay.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any way in Nova Launcher to specify how many icon rows and columns you want in homescreen folders? You can do that for the app drawer but I don't see the same for the folders.

Looks like if you go to the folder settings and tap on Window Style, you have the options for Window mode or Immersive mode.

In Window mode, no. I think the icons arrange themselves into as much of a square as possible based on how many there are.

In Immersive mode, the folder opens to full screen and there you can adjust the number of items in the grid.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Uthor posted:

Looks like if you go to the folder settings and tap on Window Style, you have the options for Window mode or Immersive mode.

In Window mode, no. I think the icons arrange themselves into as much of a square as possible based on how many there are.

In Immersive mode, the folder opens to full screen and there you can adjust the number of items in the grid.

That's great, cheers!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ilkhan posted:

My 6Pro has now restated at least half a dozen times in 36 hours. I don't know if it's 12 or the phone, but it's rather frustrating.

Done it twice more since posting this. Definitely going back to the 4XL. Not quite sure if perma or just during exchange.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ilkhan posted:

Done it twice more since posting this. Definitely going back to the 4XL. Not quite sure if perma or just during exchange.
Have you tried to factory reset?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

(6 pro) it's neat that the fingerprint sensor lights up my thumb internally but is there a way to turn the brightness down? Or is the bright light how it works? poo poo's blinding at night.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

smoobles posted:

(6 pro) it's neat that the fingerprint sensor lights up my thumb internally but is there a way to turn the brightness down? Or is the bright light how it works? poo poo's blinding at night.

That's how the optical sensor works, it's gotta shine a bright light

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've been using an optical fingerprint sensor since the OnePlus 6T and I've never once thought to myself "I'm blinded at night." That take really kinda baffles me.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

They are bright lights and if your finger doesn't cover the entire thing, it's uh... a bright light.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I've been using an optical fingerprint sensor since the OnePlus 6T and I've never once thought to myself "I'm blinded at night." That take really kinda baffles me.

You either have giant thumbs or are never in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ilkhan posted:

Welcome to faulty phone hell with me. Wish I could actually get mine fixed. Or, for that matter, had the opportunity to even send it back in right now.