Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm playing through P4G again right now actually. I'm hoping to get the Risette trophy this time, as it's all I'm missing, but we'll see.

Still love Teddie tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

neonchameleon posted:

And it's the changes to Mementos that were important because I think everyone agrees that base P5 was the worst part of P5.

The biggest and most important change to Mementos:

Giving it more than one music track

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How recommended is it to play Persona 4 before 5? Will 5 ruin 4 for me, making it hard to go back?

I went 5, then 3 portable, then 4 Golden. It really doesn’t matter what order you start with but be prepared if you start with 5 you will question why you can’t baton pass almost instinctively and then remember that it originated in 5

mastajake posted:

I'm playing through P4G again right now actually. I'm hoping to get the Risette trophy this time, as it's all I'm missing, but we'll see.

Still love Teddie tho.

I don’t know why I can’t ever unlock it :/

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I bought and played Persona 4 Golden on Steam this year and enjoyed it a lot (mostly the interactions and plot, rather than actual combat). How approachable is Persona 5 Strikers, without playing Royal before? Will I be spoiling myself some stuff, or is it fine to grab it and then backfill whenever Royal will be released on PC?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

None of the Royal specific stuff comes up in Strikers, so you don’t have to worry about that

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

mmkay posted:

I bought and played Persona 4 Golden on Steam this year and enjoyed it a lot (mostly the interactions and plot, rather than actual combat). How approachable is Persona 5 Strikers, without playing Royal before? Will I be spoiling myself some stuff, or is it fine to grab it and then backfill whenever Royal will be released on PC?

They were developed at the same time so Strikers doesn’t reference Royal. That said, the game does expect you to have played 5, so if you haven’t done that you may not get as much out of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mmkay posted:

There's a couple major spoilers inherent to Strikers' role as a sequel (thinking mainly of the existence of Lavenza) but nothing too specific. The thing I mentioned is totally meaningless without other context anyway. You'll probably be fine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The other big spoiler for P5 is entirely implicit (the traitor obviously is not in your party in Strikers), though, and that's a good bit worse, now that I think about it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can't imagine enjoying Strikers without having played 5. Like half the reason to play is because it's more of the original crew interacting with each other, the gameplay was secondary for me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It would be like -- no, is -- skipping to the road trip arc in an anime before you have been introduced to the characters

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It was kind of like that but I got caught up pretty quickly.

One of the most interesting things to me from watching the P5R playthrough is that apparently Makoto starts out as kind of a huge rear end in a top hat the player is supposed to hate. Ann was kind of like that at first but she doesn't stay like that for nearly as long and there's also the fact that you know Kamoshida is abusing her too so she's much more sympathetic (I know Makoto gets more sympathetic backstory later on but again, not nearly as quickly as Ann does).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I wouldn't say huge rear end in a top hat (since you still have the sympathetic moments where the principal sics her on you by dangling a carrot of good referrals and threatening to take it away if she refuses) but she is yet another tool used by the oppressors to oppress people.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh, I'd say Makoto only really comes across as an rear end in a top hat in her introductory scene where she shoos the party off of Shujin's rooftop. Your other meetings with her are mostly in the context of her poor attempts at following you (spoiled because just because it's very fun and people should experience it organically if they're new), and even when she's outright confronting you like on 6/11 it's after she's already shown to be in a bad position herself, getting pressured by the principal and stuck dealing with the scams. The main characters are definitely mean to her, but the player is given information they're not, the point being that it's cruelty (even if somewhat warranted) and is, in fact, wearing her down.

Basically, even before she joins she's a sympathetic figure (or at least a somewhat pitiable one) much more than an antagonistic force.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, and unlike many antagonists, your party is also outright rude to Makoto at times. Not in the 'wow teacher, you're an rear end' way, but petty snipes.

I wish they had more scenes like the Ann/Makoto one after she joins, because otherwise we get very little interaction between party members that aren't from Joker's POV.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I want a persona spinoff where you're playing the equivalent of Sojiro, it would be a visual novel where you're trying to figure out that your nephew is fighting evil in the dream dimension. It would be like a dating sim but instead of dating you're trying to adopt all of these teenagers who need an attentive parent figure because nobody else has noticed that their kids are summoning brain monsters on evenings and weekends.

Edit: at no point would you understand the actual plot, everything is being conveyed secondhand by a bunch of highschoolers who also don't understand what's happening.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 30, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Persona 6 should be set in a retirement community

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Makoto is one of my favorite characters and easily the best romance which is all the more impressive considering every time I saw her on screen for the first 20 or so hours of P5R I instinctively yelled “NARC!” because she seemed like such a narc.

And then I learned I was not alone

https://twitter.com/bubblebrow/status/1259155385254060033?s=21

side-note: do not, under any circumstances, search the word “narkoto” on Twitter. It will not show you this comic and the things you will see will be indelibly etched in your mind forever. i am not kidding

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Makoto is also immediately down to learn magic when she gets her persona. Most of the others are busy being distracted by an intense migraine and a voice in their head when they get theirs but she just stomps a hole in the floor and goes "gently caress yeah I wanna be magic"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Brandfarlig posted:

Makoto is also immediately down to learn magic when she gets her persona. Most of the others are busy being distracted by an intense migraine and a voice in their head when they get theirs but she just stomps a hole in the floor and goes "gently caress yeah I wanna be magic"

More like “I wanna murder!”

The girl is sitting on enough suppressed rage to make nuclear explosions with her mind and just got a very acceptable target to unleash them on.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/shopatlus/status/1454228290927923203?s=21

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

More like “I wanna murder!”

The girl is sitting on enough suppressed rage to make nuclear explosions with her mind and just got a very acceptable target to unleash them on.

If the 3rd palace boss had hung around for much longer during her awakening I am pretty sure she would have tied him to the back of her persona and drive until there was nothing but gristle.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

The other big spoiler for P5 is entirely implicit (the traitor obviously is not in your party in Strikers), though, and that's a good bit worse, now that I think about it.

tbh (P5 spoiler) the traitor in your party in P5 is so obvious that the actual twist is that the party knew all along and weren't just being plot idiots like you'd probably expect in most RPG stories

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i like most of the things in Royal (playing some of it to bide time until SMTV) but my god does instakill and the mementos item boost break the game. i love getting like 50 Snuff Souls when theoretically the SP items are really rare and expensive and intended to act as a soft timer for dungeon crawling lol

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Playing through P5R and just found out you can drive the car full speed (with R2) in Mementos in to weaker shadows and defeat the instantly getting an item, money, AND their persona card

Sure made going through it after a palace to finish some requests super easy!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Playing through P5R and just found out you can drive the car full speed (with R2) in Mementos in to weaker shadows and defeat the instantly getting an item, money, AND their persona card

Sure made going through it after a palace to finish some requests super easy!

That's one of Ryuji's confidant abilities, but yeah, super useful.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

You can even use Instakill in Palaces if you’re somehow over leveled enough

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I am of the unpopular opinion that Golden and Royal don't add enough to their respective base games to be worth the extra 20-30 hours of run time. The cellphone calls are the worst, who on earth decided that what Persona 5 needed was even more padding? Then again I never played the original PS2 version of Persona 4 so perhaps I should reserve judgement, that Shuffle Time system seemed kind of weird. But on the other hand the removal of the boss room save points is kind of bizarre.

Early Baton Touch and the new Mementos music are excellent QoL improvements, I'll give P5R that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Naoto no longer being a completely dogshit party member alone justifies Golden's existence.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sapozhnik posted:

I am of the unpopular opinion that Golden and Royal don't add enough to their respective base games to be worth the extra 20-30 hours of run time. The cellphone calls are the worst, who on earth decided that what Persona 5 needed was even more padding? Then again I never played the original PS2 version of Persona 4 so perhaps I should reserve judgement, that Shuffle Time system seemed kind of weird. But on the other hand the removal of the boss room save points is kind of bizarre.

Early Baton Touch and the new Mementos music are excellent QoL improvements, I'll give P5R that.

The cell phone calls were opportunities to get more Confidant points for free. They’re worth it since you have more Confidants to deal with and two extra ones that need to be maxed out for the third semester.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am not sure it justified a new game completely but just what they did with Akechi is definitely worth something. I hated him in the base game but came to enjoy him immensely in Royal and wished he could continue to be the navigator.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Akechi stuff and Maruki and Kasumi are probably the best the writing has been in persona since 2.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm excited to find out more about Akechi, he didn't even get a namedrop in Strikers, and what little I know of him is from watching cutscenes from Q2.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Akechi Prince of Darts is also a very good addition.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Royal and Golden add a lot of QoL that you'd notice the difference, but if you don't ever want to play either game again then sure I guess you're fine not picking them up.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm excited to find out more about Akechi, he didn't even get a namedrop in Strikers, and what little I know of him is from watching cutscenes from Q2.

Speculation but since Strikers was developed alongside Royal, they probably left out any talk of Akechi completely since they may not have known what they were going to do with him.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Otherwise its still Persona. Expect an amazing story, awesome characters and writing,

Let's not go that far. :v:

P4 is even worse than 5 for stuff like say, Yosuke not being able to stop talking about how gay it would be to think about dicks or whatever. Depending on how sensitive you are to that stuff it might be enough to bring it all down.

hell yeah can't wait for the exclusive anniversary phone case or whatever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I do find it funny that they kind of tried but still couldn't get Ohya to be worth a poo poo as a confidant. Which is a shame because I like her whole drunk rear end act.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Adding rumors to memntos seems so obvious but then they kinda added that to a non-confidant guy???

I didn't like ohya though, she was kinda a creep, so no big loss.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Acerbatus posted:

Let's not go that far. :v:

P4 is even worse than 5 for stuff like say, Yosuke not being able to stop talking about how gay it would be to think about dicks or whatever. Depending on how sensitive you are to that stuff it might be enough to bring it all down.

hell yeah can't wait for the exclusive anniversary phone case or whatever

Don't be silly, it'll be some play that's only released in japan

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ohya manages to hit so many strikes despite actually being tied right into the main plot. Her confidant skill sucks, she takes forever to level up, it takes place at a time when you could be ranking up some of the best in the game, and she's boring as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, when it came to Confidants I only leveled up Ohya when I had nothing else to do. "Oh, I guess it's an Ohya day today..."