Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Brother Dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The real first crisis for Foundation was its first season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Day and Dusk like mac and cheese, but I like shells and cheese."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
you ever notice how brother day walks like this
*imitates walk*
but brother dawn walks like this???
*imitates a different walk*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The real first crisis for Foundation was its first season.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

you ever notice how brother day walks like this
*imitates walk*
but brother dawn walks like this???
*imitates a different walk*

the show would be prestige TV if a random comedian did this bit and it brought down the empire

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The Empire ends up broke as it is spending money on a real Ministry of Silly Walks.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
What's the deal with Empire food?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

this show would be 10x better if written by kat Williams

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Centrist Committee posted:

Almost as good as the slapstick Oops there goes my boyfriend scene minutes earlier

I'm agreeing with others and choosing to believe that it was a fakeout and he'll show up later on.

Kill All Cops posted:

the goon who mentioned that momentum keeps being broken by a scene switch every time a scene begins to be interesting is spot on, dont even think it can be excused by editing for binge watching. it's like the editor was the same guy who edited Liam Neeson needing 15 cuts to jump over a fence

I don't usually complain about rapid fire editing, but the Salvor vs Huntress fight in episode 5 was pretty bad. Let us see the fight with shots that last more than 5 seconds...

Kill All Cops posted:

Brother Dawn being different with his color blindness alone would've been subtle and cool enough, but no, gotta show that he is -really- different by eating carbs over meats, left handed instead of right, wipes his butt front to back instead of back to front.

Everyone knows the proper way to wipe is side to side.

Tom Guycot posted:

It would be kind of cute to see what a straight up rigid adaptation of one of his where everyone is smoking like its the 50's and all the sets, and ships, and planets are straight off the cover of Amazing Stories rendered in modern AAA quality would be like. People in space ships getting physical messages delivered in tubes, everyone talking about ATOMIC everything, wearing capes and printing newspapers, but not treating any of it as camp or a joke.

:bisonyes:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

It would be kind of cute to see what a straight up rigid adaptation of one of his where everyone is smoking like its the 50's and all the sets, and ships, and planets are straight off the cover of Amazing Stories rendered in modern AAA quality would be like. People in space ships getting physical messages delivered in tubes, everyone talking about ATOMIC everything, wearing capes and printing newspapers, but not treating any of it as camp or a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTrSncxwGBE

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kill All Cops posted:

very bold to assume that the writers that wrote "the atmosphere is broke, we need to seal the breach and find the environmental regulator" then "here's the environmental regulator, i sealed the breach" 30 seconds later are incompetent
Yeah, well, the series also follows the trope that everyone's absolutely competent in their area. Ancient mythical spaceship? I have never operated this ancient tech, but beep-boop-boop everything's fixed.

Which makes no sense to begin with, because if the drat ship's environmental controls can just go back into normal operational mode within three keystrokes and flipping a glass PCB, it shouldn't have shut down and killed its crew to begin with.

Also, I like how their sets don't match the outside scenes. The landing area of that ship had a distinct curvature, by nature of being a bunch of circles, but inside, everything's flat. That central building on Terminus didn't have that much of an edge length, but in that one episode, whoever it was, ran a considerable length along a corridor way longer than any of the building's edges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSwYtEDX24

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 31, 2021

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, well, the series also follows the trope that everyone's absolutely competent in their area. Ancient mythical spaceship? I have never operated this ancient tech, but beep-boop-boop everything's fixed.

Which makes no sense to begin with, because if the drat ship's environmental controls can just go back into normal operational mode within three keystrokes and flipping a glass PCB, it shouldn't have shut down and killed its crew to begin with.

Also, I like how their sets don't match the outside scenes. The landing area of that ship had a distinct curvature, by nature of being a bunch of circles, but inside, everything's flat. That central building on Terminus didn't have that much of an edge length, but in that one episode, whoever it was, ran a considerable length along a corridor way longer than any of the building's edges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSwYtEDX24

Reminds me of a game, I think it was Watch Dogs, where a developer posted that they did interiors of buildings but other people did exteriors and when the game was finished they didn't do a thorough job of making sure the buildings matched up at all. So they would spend a long time making a place look like a dingy dive bar on the inside while someone else did the exterior as a cute cafe or something. Wonder how much that sort of thing happens in SFX-heavy shows too that I don't end up noticing

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Started this show last week and I've just caught up to episode 7.

Everything to do with the clone emperors is goddamn fantastic. There's depth, there's layers, there's symbolism. It's visually stunning and of course the actors are all killing it. It's a really interesting exploration a sci-fi idea, and every time this storyline is on screen, I'm enthralled.

Everything to do with Terminus and Anacreaon is goddamn garbage. It's a generic-looking sci-fi shootemup and the plot makes no sense. The actors are probably just fine but it's hard to tell, because the writers have given them nothing but poorly-thought-out crap to say and do.

Everything to do with Hari and Gaal and Raych has been taking FOREVER to get wherever it's going. I like both characters, and it may yet turn out interesting, but good goddamn, get to the point already.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

What about multivac? It's not a robot but it's an AI that doesn't follow the three laws at all.

The "vac" in multivac was refrencing vacuum tubes. It's very much not a positronic brain.

In the robot books, the big AI brains that weren't in bodies but were just used to do math and stuff were called The Brain.

One of the short stories is about how the invention of hyperspace travel actually bricked the other super computer that wasn't positronic, and almost bricked The Brain.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

CainFortea posted:

In I, Robot Susan Calvin explains how the math of the positronic brain means that by it's very nature, any attempt at making a brain without the 3 laws means that it simply doesn't work at all. I mean, there's no hard science to explain why, but she very clearly explains that it is so.

And in fact, a lot of the stories in I, Robot show that by trying to muck about with the 3 laws, the brains become very unstable. Like in Little Lost Robot, just taking "And through inaction, allow a human to come to harm" sets that robot off the deep end. And she's loving LIVID that anyone would even attempt to make a robot like that.

So yea, in the universe the stories are written in, the 3 laws are immutable.

If I remember right, the explanation in The Caves of Steel went something like this. It doesn't spoil much of anything even in the book universe, but just to be safe I'll mark it as BOOK SPOILERS: The Three Laws were baked into the theory of positronic brains right from the start, and so every single advancement that was made since that time has relied upon their presence. In theory, you could make a positronic brain without the Laws, but you'd have to start totally over again, essentially with a positronic abacus, and then re-do three thousand years of improvement and development. And you'd have to do every bit of it completely from scratch; nothing at all of theory or practice would transfer over from one type of robot to the other since they were based on fundamentally different axioms. Undertaking such a project was seen as infeasible even for the combined might of all fifty Spacer worlds.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Isn't the ship that Gaal is on... you know, the one whose computer is now running a copy of Hari's brain and being controlled by him... isn't that a robit

Also I just read an article about McDonalds replacing staff at their restaurants with IBM's AI. Would the Three Laws allow an AI to serve a McRib with Cheese to a customer, or is that considered harm? Really makes you think.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

XboxPants posted:

Isn't the ship that Gaal is on... you know, the one whose computer is now running a copy of Hari's brain and being controlled by him... isn't that a robit

yah that's why it didn't let her die w/out the O2

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

XboxPants posted:

Also I just read an article about McDonalds replacing staff at their restaurants with IBM's AI. Would the Three Laws allow an AI to serve a McRib with Cheese to a customer, or is that considered harm? Really makes you think.

I don't think IRL robots give a poo poo about the 3 laws.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i love how the botanist girl is apparently so well-connected in the underground that she knows where to get brother dawn's various advanced tracking tech disabled

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Various thoughts of symbolism, all from the GOOD plot, the one about about the Emperors:

The funeral of Kai Opaka? Proxima Opal is almost certainly this particular Brother Day's greatest failure yet, and in a very 2008 way. The Emperor, as the very personification of the political establishment, throws his support behind the good-on-paper but ultimately uninspiring politician Hillary Clinton Zephyr Gilat, only for her to be upstaged by Barack Obama Zephyr Halima, who at least speaks what the people actually want to hear. And of course, the Emperor's promise of a desalination plant, while perfectly practical, is COMPLETELY tone-deaf for a faith that places tremendous value upon that very same salt.

The three Brothers are of course facing down their distaff counterparts in the triple goddess.

Meanwhile, Brother Dawn, while obviously heterosexual, is still in some respects coded as gay in the narrative. He must hide his true self, from the smallest gesture on up, lest he be discovered. Only with his secret lover can he truly let his guard down deactivate his personal shield and really be himself.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i love how the botanist girl is apparently so well-connected in the underground that she knows where to get brother dawn's various advanced tracking tech disabled

Or maybe its not that hard to find, like how back in the day you could find someone at just about any Sunday market who could do console mods.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

If brother dusk had the sex spy tell him everything about what brother dawn told her, which was probably all his non-conformity baggage, then I wonder why he hasn't done the replacing already. My only thought is that he has to get brother day's approval as, technically, he is supposed to be the only one of the three "in control" of what goes on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe it will turn out all of them are colour blind and left handed but they learn to act properly.

That would undermine what they're doing with Dawn though.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Institutionally gaslighting each other for hundreds of years in order to teach duplicity would be an interesting twist though.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

gently caress you all - Huntress is the best, team bloody revenge forever! Rarrr! :black101:

* Just kidding, i love you all :glomp: but this show sadly is so dumb that i want the dumbest storyline to escalate forever.

Everything else is just boring-bad. This at least is kinda fun-bad. Also cautiously looking forward to what botanist-lady can manage to coerce babby-Empire into through her sudden vast lineup of shady contacts though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Patrat posted:

Institutionally gaslighting each other for hundreds of years in order to teach duplicity would be an interesting twist though.

I'd be shocked if some of it wasn't this.

His rants about how he eats his food, how his hands rest etc all strike me as him compounding his own anxiety. All cleons have some minor variances, but he has become so obsessed with his own that it is all he sees.

Like looking for a pattern in day to day numbers. If you look long enough to are bound to find it. Whether it was there or not.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"What are you trying to tell me? I can do math to predict the future?"

"No, Gaal. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to."

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do you think Gaal solved that fancy math theorem because she predicted her future self solving it so she copies the solution from the future vision?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do you think Gaal solved that fancy math theorem because she predicted her future self solving it so she copies the solution from the future vision?

I think she solved the fancy math by plagiarizing a scroll she stole from the Synax archive. It wasn't super clear :confused:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
So you're saying this is all time turner related Hermione fan fiction, with a very high budget.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I'm old enough to remember when this show started off with some kids trying to get laid over who would get closest to the mysterious space obelisk.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Centrist Committee posted:

I'm old enough to remember when this show started off with some kids trying to get laid over who would get closest to the mysterious space obelisk.

Seriously, they've completely forgotten about this space obelisk. There's like literally no way it can even impact the story now since it's lightyears away.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

No, prescience only gives you very vague and disjointed images of the future. She was able to solve the math problem because she is also a mentat.

That's the truly revolutionary thing about the Kwisatz Haderach. They are not just prescient, but also a mentat. It's this specific combination that allows them to find the golden path, i.e. a way out of humanity's stagnation and eventual doom. Prescience or mentat abilities alone can't get it done.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

No, prescience only gives you very vague and disjointed images of the future. She was able to solve the math problem because she is also a mentat.

That's the truly revolutionary thing about the Kwisatz Haderach. They are not just prescient, but also a mentat. It's this specific combination that allows them to find the golden path, i.e. a way out of humanity's stagnation and eventual doom. Prescience or mentat abilities alone can't get it done.

what if the vault is a Gom Jabbar

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ElGroucho posted:

"What are you trying to tell me? I can do math to predict the future?"

"No, Gaal. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to."

lol so embarrassing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Math is for nerds" — Hari Seldon

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nitrousoxide posted:

Seriously, they've completely forgotten about this space obelisk. There's like literally no way it can even impact the story now since it's lightyears away.

What a weird complaint. Terminus crew have been off world for a whole episode. You don’t have to be able to see the future to guess they’ll be back

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I honestly thought that the lack of Magic Space Obelisk was a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I hope the jump ship randomly jumps to somewhere with good posts