Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My kid pulled a runner UNDER the line markers at TSA. When I caught her, she shrieked holy hell through screening. It was so loud and she was so upset that the boarding agents wouldn’t let us on until she calmed down and we nearly missed our flight.

It can always be worse! At least the airport was pretty empty that evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The TSA is the absolute worst of all the federal jobs programs

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Hadlock posted:

The TSA is the absolute worst of all the federal jobs programs

CBP would have taken your kid and put them in a jail so I’d give them the edge.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Koivunen posted:

Took my kids to a Halloween thing at the zoo, my daughter enthusiastically yelling TRICK OR TREAT and bouncing around every single time was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. She had her very first sucker and it was the greatest thing that ever happened in her whole life. MAMA YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS IT’S SOOOOO DELICIOUS!!! Baby slept the whole time which was great.

Taking kids to Halloween thing crew :respek:

17 month old tried his first sucker and it blew his mind. Watching him try to figure out the proper way to eat it was cute as hell

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

My 4mo girl has started just... shouting. Not quite screaming, just sorta shouting. Wtf

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

We went to wake the twins up from their nap and we found our girl had taken off her diaper and there was poo poo everywhere, including on her face and mouth.

How’s everyone else’s Halloween going?

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

A Big... Dog posted:

My 4mo girl has started just... shouting. Not quite screaming, just sorta shouting. Wtf

Yeah. Mine does this too. Doesn't seem upset or anything, just likes to shout. Absolutely rattles the gently caress out of my eardrums if I'm changing her or anywhere close.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mind_Taker posted:

We went to wake the twins up from their nap and we found our girl had taken off her diaper and there was poo poo everywhere, including on her face and mouth.

How’s everyone else’s Halloween going?

5 year old decided, after weeks of being super hype for trick or treating, that he was "too tired and too scared" to go and started screaming and melting down.

Dude's gonna be disappointed tomorrow but he's gonna either have to deal with that or be brave and go out.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Blinkz0rz posted:

5 year old decided, after weeks of being super hype for trick or treating, that he was "too tired and too scared" to go and started screaming and melting down.

Dude's gonna be disappointed tomorrow but he's gonna either have to deal with that or be brave and go out.

I don't know how early that stuff shows up, but hoo boy do I understand how he feels. For some reason the anticipation and build-up always results in a horrific crash. I'd actually rather be surprised on the spot that something is happening, then I don't have time to get nervous.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Turns out he just was nervous about the process. We started with our neighbors that he likes and ended up walking around for like an hour. He absolutely loved it! :3:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Good job, little guy! Getting over those early nerves is the biggest hurdle.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Decided to start potty training properly this past weekend, lots of sitting on the potty which he is 100% not keen on. But at least this morning we have established he does have rudimentary bladder control - managed to get him on the potty prior to his first big morning pee, nothing happened, then he immediately peed after his nappy was on. I guess the next step from here is to not put the nappy back on and either he pees on the floor/himself or he has to sit on the potty?

I feel like it's really hard to get consistency when we then have to put him in nappies to go to daycare.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A Big... Dog posted:

Only 17.5 years before they leave the house!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Hadlock posted:

Only 17.5 years before they leave the house!

If you're lucky.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If my kid takes after my goon rear end she won't even learn to drive until age 27. We are doomed.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like I am going through some sort of rite of passage right now because my kid is sick and I have never seen her this whiny and devoid of logic or reason. She must have picked up some new whiny tone from one of the little fucks at daycare because I've never heard this shrilly high pitched poo poo before and it seems tuned specifically to push all my buttons. And we have to do this antibiotics course for 10 loving days??

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm being extra pedantic, but give them the full dose for 10 days so we don't develop a Delta variant of whatever your kid has got... spooooky

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tamarillo posted:

I feel like it's really hard to get consistency when we then have to put him in nappies to go to daycare.
Do they refuse to start until a certain age?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nachos posted:

And we have to do this antibiotics course for 10 loving days??
What is she (presumed) sick with? Who did she see? What antibiotic?

On paper you're always supposed to finish an antibiotic course. In practice it sucks administering an antibiotic to child who refuses to take it unless it's buried in two containers of apple sauce and causes endless diarrhea. Especially if it's treating what's likely a viral infection and was prescribed by the PA at your urgent care who literally prescribes antibiotics for literally everything because that's the scope of their training.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What is she (presumed) sick with? Who did she see? What antibiotic?

On paper you're always supposed to finish an antibiotic course. In practice it sucks administering an antibiotic to child who refuses to take it unless it's buried in two containers of apple sauce and causes endless diarrhea. Especially if it's treating what's likely a viral infection and was prescribed by the PA at your urgent care who literally prescribes antibiotics for literally everything because that's the scope of their training.

Ear infection, urgent care, amoxicillin

We get it down with a syringe but it's awful for everyone involved and I wouldn't be shocked if it's wreaking havoc with her gut

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nachos posted:

Ear infection, urgent care, amoxicillin
Try to do it for at least five days. Meanwhile schedule a follow-up with your pediatrician this week for an ear check and if it's clear ask them for guidance.

As far a taking the medicine if she's old enough to have used a straw try telling her "it's like a straw" and suck on the end of the syringe while you push the plunger. After not having to administer medicine for the entirely of 2020 even giving Motrin ended up being a battle for us. That approach finally broke through to compliance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't want to play internet thread lawyer here but the article itself (which was reviewed by a MD, good) says at the end "However, each child’s situation is unique, and your family’s medical provider is the best person to decide how long your child should take an antibiotic for an ear infection."

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do they refuse to start until a certain age?

No, they've got kids his age currently potty training at the moment, it's just they basically just offer the toilet to them and if its a no-go then it's back to nappies. They don't have ages to wait around so if he's capable of holding on until he's back in nappies (which we now know he is) then he can just do that and be free to pee in his nappies. With his current 0% success rate of peeing in the potty or on the toilet over the attempts we've made in the last few months, there's some intermediary work needed to get him accustomed to the idea of peeing in places other than the nappy and I'm not sure how to achieve that without literally not putting a nappy on him for a while. If we had a good week where he was just at home I'd let him run around with no pants on but the next stretch of him being at home in the near future is going to coincide with the imminent delivery of baby #2, so not ideal.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Thread temperature on Janet Lansbury/RIE parenting?

She was recommended to my wife by a close friend and fellow mother. A lot of what she has to say is certainly interesting and very different than how I was raised. Some of it seems... I dunno, over the top? "Don't do anything without telling them you're going to do it" starting from birth seems like it's coming from a place where parents have unlimited time and resources.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

I don't want to play internet thread lawyer here but the article itself (which was reviewed by a MD, good) says at the end "However, each child’s situation is unique, and your family’s medical provider is the best person to decide how long your child should take an antibiotic for an ear infection."
That's (i) true, and (ii) not the PA at urgent care, which is why they should tell you to follow up with your pediatrician. Like that is a thing you should actually do, not just liability stuff.

Specifically with regard to ear infections it's possible to break through on amoxicillin and have to follow with a course of augmentin or whatever. And honestly you don't want to waste time on amoxicillin for a full ten days if the infection is only getting worse. It should appear notably better after a few days if the antibiotic is working.

As for the duration of the antibiotic, sometimes giving it is bad and if you're on day four and if your options are "maybe we can do this one more day" or "six more days? holy gently caress!" that's where having the understanding that five may be enough helps, at least mentally.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's (i) true, and (ii) not the PA at urgent care, which is why they should tell you to follow up with your pediatrician. Like that is a thing you should actually do, not just liability stuff.

Specifically with regard to ear infections it's possible to break through on amoxicillin and have to follow with a course of augmentin or whatever. And honestly you don't want to waste time on amoxicillin for a full ten days if the infection is only getting worse. It should appear notably better after a few days if the antibiotic is working.

As for the duration of the antibiotic, sometimes giving it is bad and if you're on day four and if your options are "maybe we can do this one more day" or "six more days? holy gently caress!" that's where having the understanding that five may be enough helps, at least mentally.

Thanks for the replies. We’re going to follow up with her pediatrician tomorrow to figure out the best course of action.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tamarillo posted:

there's some intermediary work needed to get him accustomed to the idea of peeing in places other than the nappy and I'm not sure how to achieve that without literally not putting a nappy on him for a while.
You put him in underwear, then he has an unpleasant accident and realize the toilet is the only option. Doing this over a weekend can get you a good start but if daycare won't tolerate the underwear and a week of accidents--I don't know, got nothing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sharkytm posted:

Thread temperature on Janet Lansbury/RIE parenting?
It's a model, and like any model there's aspects that may be worth incorporating in your parenting but it's not the only model.

Sometimes I (did) talk my kids though diaper changes, in part because talking to them was comforting to them even if they didn't understand the words yet, but I didn't/don't talk through it every time.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You put him in underwear, then he has an unpleasant accident and realize the toilet is the only option. Doing this over a weekend can get you a good start but if daycare won't tolerate the underwear and a week of accidents--I don't know, got nothing.

Yeah with where he's at at the moment I'm not willing to put him in underwear at daycare because he would literally be wetting them 100% of the time. I'd like him to have at least a partial strike rate of peeing in the potty/toilet before stepping up to underwear at daycare. They're totally understanding of accidents but I think there's a world of difference between doing that to a kid who has never peed in a potty successfully vs one that's at least open to the idea of peeing in one. I'd prefer to do that initial mental adjustment period at home. Might just need to keep him home for a few days or bite the bullet and do it pending the arrival of kid #2 and accept there'll be some regression.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tamarillo posted:

Yeah with where he's at at the moment I'm not willing to put him in underwear at daycare because he would literally be wetting them 100% of the time. I'd like him to have at least a partial strike rate of peeing in the potty/toilet before stepping up to underwear at daycare. They're totally understanding of accidents but I think there's a world of difference between doing that to a kid who has never peed in a potty successfully vs one that's at least open to the idea of peeing in one. I'd prefer to do that initial mental adjustment period at home. Might just need to keep him home for a few days or bite the bullet and do it pending the arrival of kid #2 and accept there'll be some regression.
How old?

The modern way of doing it is what you're thinking, to have him wet himself and discover the connection that way.

The old-fashioned way is to spend inordinate amounts of time on the potty until he pees in it accidentally, and discovers the connection that way instead. One way to achieve it would be reading picture books to him on the potty if he like that. Difficult in the mornings but might work as an after-dinner activity? In your situation, I might give that a shot just to get some headway.

I agree with your sentiment that it's not a good plan to take the nappies off in daycare yet.

Don't put too much stock in the common belief that older siblings always have potty regressions as soon as a baby arrives. I personally think it's a myth caused partly by coincidence and partly by observation bias. Toddlers have potty regressions all the time, sometimes for no apparent reason. Only those who have regressions coincident with a new baby post about it on the internet. I guess what I'm saying is, don't feel like you would be wasting your time if you start potty training whenever it is most convenient for you.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do we need to worry much about daylight savings messing with a sleep schedule? Or will he just adjust after a couple days?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Do we need to worry much about daylight savings messing with a sleep schedule? Or will he just adjust after a couple days?

Ugh, Daylight savings time is the WORST. We find that shfiting sleep schedule by 30 minutes in the direction of what it will be on that monday after DST for about 2-3 days before it actually happens helps ease the transition.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sometimes I (did) talk my kids though diaper changes, in part because talking to them was comforting to them even if they didn't understand the words yet, but I didn't/don't talk through it every time.

I try to tell the 10 month old that I need to change his stinky poops and that a clean diaper will feel better, but all he hears is "Do a barrel roll!!!"

Kingtheninja posted:

Lol oh boy. Real answer, depends on the kid. We're going to start pushing bedtime back a bit at a time later this week and see how it goes. But the baby woke up at 5 am for good this morning anyway, so I don't know why I loving bother.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We consider it a win if only one kid is up before 6am, so gently caress daylight savings time.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Or they could be like #2's (former) elementary school (we do full homeschooling now) and completely ignore when he would poo poo himself despite his IEP saying, in a nutshell, "he has autism, he might have an accident, we sent a change of clothes". Like every day he had a change of clothes and at least 1 or 2 pullups (and wipes) with him just in case.

At least once a week he came home with poopybutt and skid marks because either he was ignored when he said he had an accident or he didn't tell anyone and nobody checked.

Thank God for the...uh...whatever she was. He was in special education for a couple of months but was generally deemed with it enough to go into gen ed, so he went to his former SE classroom before and after school. That teacher is an absolute gem, we still stay in touch with her and he still talks about her. :kimchi:

(His actual kindergarten teacher? Yeah...picked some clothes up from one of the moms in his class and she and I stood around for a few talking about his teacher and her MLM scheme she always tried to push on the moms. Can't even remember what it was.)

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Baby girl turned into even more of a gooey snot factory than normal over the weekend, and has twice now coughed up huge amounts of clear mucous slime that I have caught in my hand. It's easier than anywhere else she could spit it so I'm counting this as a win. The reason I am sharing this story is that now her big brother comes running every time she coughs and sticks his hand out because I guess he wants baby to spit slime into HIS hand next

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Baby girl turned into even more of a gooey snot factory than normal over the weekend, and has twice now coughed up huge amounts of clear mucous slime that I have caught in my hand. It's easier than anywhere else she could spit it so I'm counting this as a win. The reason I am sharing this story is that now her big brother comes running every time she coughs and sticks his hand out because I guess he wants baby to spit slime into HIS hand next

"Daddy, for Halloween I'm going as patient zero, and I need more hand slime!"

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Just gone through it with child number 2, UK goes a week earlier than the US. Yesterday afternoon was grizzly as gently caress and ended up asleep an hour earlier than usual and up at 6am instead of 7am. Tonight awake 90 minutes more than usual bedtime so who the gently caress knows whats going to happen in the morning but I can bet it's not gonna be sleeping in!

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
20 month olds' Montessori school potty trains all the kids in the toddler room at once. They've been introducing the kids to the potty for a few weeks but today was go time. No diapers except for sleeping.

So much pee today. Waiting for the inevitable poop explosion, I don't think he went today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Daylight savings time has never bothered ours, every year i am shocked at how well he rolls with it. Hope i didn't just jinx us, but ymmv

We might not be the best sample group because our whole family is up by 5:30am every day (except for baby who sleeps until 7) but :shrug: