Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

gnome7 posted:

We've been at the fireworks factory for a few chapters now, tbh
The fireworks factory just arrived, didn't you read the chapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The King Engine

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The grin when I got to the page i've been waiting over half a decade for :getin:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Time for the King laser to put that homeless emperor in his place.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
While King is right up there in heroism with Mumen rider, I'm kind of wondering if he has an actual power he doesn't realize. Like people being overly intimidated and King lucking his way out is an actual super power and not coincidence.

It reminds me of the Xanth series Bink character. He was a dude thought to not have magical powers, but his magical power was actually being immune to magic. It wasn't obvious then, anytime he was attacked with magic a seemingly random event would occur to protect him from harm, to the point where the current monarch of Xanth dies so that Binks attacker loses his reason to kill Bink.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm bored, let me know when there's actual plot progression

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Flesnolk posted:

I'm bored, let me know when there's actual plot progression

this chapter revealed that the sword masters are in possession of a sword which may be similar to monsterfication.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Donkringel posted:

While King is right up there in heroism with Mumen rider, I'm kind of wondering if he has an actual power he doesn't realize. Like people being overly intimidated and King lucking his way out is an actual super power and not coincidence.

I think this is a very valid theory, and its shared by a large proportion of the OPM community. On the surface it looks like everything surrounding King is just a gag, but it seems pretty likely that King's actual S class-level power is some combination of ultra charisma, luck and maybe even some kind of reality-bending aura that makes everything fall into place for him, makes him unconsciously able to say and do the exact right things, and summon strong people to fight for him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bucswabe posted:

I think this is a very valid theory, and its shared by a large proportion of the OPM community. On the surface it looks like everything surrounding King is just a gag, but it seems pretty likely that King's actual S class-level power is some combination of ultra charisma, luck and maybe even some kind of reality-bending aura that makes everything fall into place for him, makes him unconsciously able to say and do the exact right things, and summon strong people to fight for him.

i hate all of this

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kings power is that is absolutely the strongest in existence at videogames

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
King's gag is way funnier if you just treat it as a gag and not as a superpower, so please, just treat it as a gag.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

King's gag is way funnier if you just treat it as a gag and not as a superpower, so please, just treat it as a gag.

We also have Reigen in Mob demonstrating that you can totally do this without any weird probability manipulation powers, so there's no need to come up with some other excuse.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Motherfuckin' KING, motherfuckers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If King's power is being Domino then it makes him surving getting maimed by a monster only to get a cool scar that makes him look intimidating less cool.

So I'd say we should definitely follow on the same track as everyone else does when Saitama tells people how he got so strong.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would like to hang out with King

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wouldn’t, I get my rear end kicked more than enough in single player games.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xarbala posted:

I would like to hang out with King

Last Celebration posted:

I wouldn’t, I get my rear end kicked more than enough in single player games.

Ain't nothin' wrong with jobbing to the best.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

If King's power is being Domino then it makes him surving getting maimed by a monster only to get a cool scar that makes him look intimidating less cool.

So I'd say we should definitely follow on the same track as everyone else does when Saitama tells people how he got so strong.

Hes just a gag singularity.
His deal is his joke being funny enough to warp his reality.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Given the opportunity, fans will optimize the fun out of fictional media.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Andrast posted:

i hate all of this

If it makes you feel better, regardless of whether King is just a gag, or if he removed his limiter for video game potential, I highly doubt the story will ever explicitly say. King can be whatever you want him to be!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Bucswabe posted:

If it makes you feel better, regardless of whether King is just a gag, or if he removed his limiter for video game potential, I highly doubt the story will ever explicitly say. King can be whatever you want him to be!

I hope he can be my friend. :kimchi:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
King is actually a monster, he played so many anime video games and always won that he became an anime that always wins

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

King is King, the strongest hero, but strength takes many forms

In his case it's a PR department he didn't ask for, doesn't want, and is afraid to try to get rid of

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
King's power is real. His power is having a face like this.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

King rolls a 20 on every single intimidation check.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
King is gonna super charge the king's engine and destroy all monsters with its supersonic wave

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
*Theory crafts for a comic he loves*

Others: No no stop doing that and having fun, it ruins the gag.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Yes, unironically.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A jargogle posted:

Yes, unironically.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I very much hope that heroes like King and Watchdog Man are never explained because yes, it would ruin the gag.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
"king has a superpower that makes him intimidating" kinda misses the point of his character and destroys all nuance around it. I refuse to elaborate

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
King having a secret superpower is just as lame as Saitama having a secret superpower. It would genuinely eliminate the gags of either character.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
King is actually super powerful because he's full of midichlorians.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

I very much hope that heroes like King and Watchdog Man are never explained because yes, it would ruin the gag.

Sadly, I think King is the only one who's safe from months of explanation. I'm betting we're going to get a dozen chapters on Child Emporer, Metal Bat, Atomic Samurai, and Watchdog Man's growth to S-Class at some point.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SpacePig posted:

King having a secret superpower is just as lame as Saitama having a secret superpower. It would genuinely eliminate the gags of either character.

There is nothing secret about Saitama's superpower.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What, that Caped Baldy guy?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The junk collector posted:

King is actually super powerful because he's full of midichlorians.

King is a midichlorian. Saitama has loads of little King's inside his bloodstream! That's why he's so strong.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

King is a midichlorian. Saitama has loads of little King's inside his bloodstream! That's why he's so strong.

How loving dare you

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

There is nothing secret about Saitama's superpower.

nothing secret about the king engine either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

bees x1000 posted:

He already has been explained actually, he got credit for all of Saitama's victories. It's even mentioned in the midst recent chapter.