Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Any recent and decent games similar to Princess Maker?

That is, raising / training games centred around singular character?

Princess Maker 2 is probably the gold standard of genre's games I have played, with wide amount of options and large amounts of content.

Long Live the Queen is game masquerading as one of these but doesn't really do this genre well (but it does its own genre well).

Tale of Wuxia is another good example of this genre. Too bad most of its cousins are only in Chinese or have horrid machine translations.

Amazing Cultivation Simulator scratches some of the itch but there is just too many player controlled characters for me to care about.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Banemaster posted:

Princess Maker 2 is probably the gold standard of genre's games I have played, with wide amount of options and large amounts of content.

Long Live the Queen is game masquerading as one of these but doesn't really do this genre well (but it does its own genre well).

Tale of Wuxia is another good example of this genre. Too bad most of its cousins are only in Chinese or have horrid machine translations.

Amazing Cultivation Simulator scratches some of the itch but there is just too many player controlled characters for me to care about.

PM1/3/4 are on Steam with..less than stellar translations, but they're there at the very least. Chinese Parents is alright, but hard. Growing Up just came out by the same team and is a lot better. Cute Bite is more recent and is by Hanako (LLTQ) and is supposedly good but also very short.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Banemaster posted:

In adiition to the above titles, Hanako also made the Cute Knight games (2 of them I think?) which are more of a direct copy of the Princess Maker 2 formula. They're quite old now though and the artwork doesn't compare favorably to their newer titles, and they don't have the same depth as the PM games. Still, if you want something more directly like PM, it's an option.

I guess this doesn't qualify as "recent", huh...

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 23, 2021

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

AG3 posted:

I guess this doesn't qualify as "recent", huh...

The recent qualifier was for mostly because I did some searching few years back and was pretty disappointed by what came up.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Recommend me a strategy game about mercs, please. Wandering around the overworld, building up a squad, equipping them, etc... bonus points if there is some kind of camp or base you can go back to and improve. I'm more interested in the gameplay loop than you being a literal merc (for example, Shadow of the Horned rat has a campaign with a linear series of stages, and I want free roam)

I've played the usual suspects: Battle Brothers, Mechwarrior, Jagged Alliance, and some outliers like Kenshi, M&B...

Metal Gear Solid V isn't strategy, but it is definitely about building your own mercenary organization...

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What is the general concensus on the best Freelancer/Privateer type game these days? And which ones offer the best ship customization?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

What is the general concensus on the best Freelancer/Privateer type game these days? And which ones offer the best ship customization?

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is the first thing that comes to mind, it's got a decent amount of ship customization as far as weapons and ship systems. It also has an entire 3-d ship painting software within it, if that's the kind of customization you mean.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

thekeeshman posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is the first thing that comes to mind, it's got a decent amount of ship customization as far as weapons and ship systems. It also has an entire 3-d ship painting software within it, if that's the kind of customization you mean.

Is that any good? I liked the first one alot

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Is that any good? I liked the first one alot

It's a lot like the first RG, except you're flying a fighter or small transport in full 3D instead of capital ships on a flat plane.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Hwurmp posted:

It's a lot like the first RG, except you're flying a fighter or small transport in full 3D instead of capital ships on a flat plane.

Would it be cool to start on the second one then without missing much? I basically rage uninstalled the first I've when I discovered I was stuck to a fixed, a flat plane.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skipping straight to Outlaw should be fine. It's a prequel in any case.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I actually highly prefer the fixed, flat plane. Don't know why but it seemed to work better than RGO

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RGO was fun for a little while but was about as deep as a puddle, I got pretty bored after a dozen hours or so (which isn't that bad, I guess, but you know)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm in the market for a good skeleton clicker. Path of Exile was great but also such a job. I miss Marvel Heroes. I liked the Diablos but don't really want to go back right now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm in the market for a good skeleton clicker. Path of Exile was great but also such a job. I miss Marvel Heroes. I liked the Diablos but don't really want to go back right now.

Grim Dawn

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I remember hearing good things about Last Epoch a long time ago and basically nothing since, I think it's still in early access.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Warhammer 40K Inquisitor

I think it's quite good and much better than ones like Grim Dawn, Last Epoch etc. while still being more accessible than PoE

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

chronicon

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Play posted:

Warhammer 40K Inquisitor

I think it's quite good and much better than ones like Grim Dawn, Last Epoch etc. while still being more accessible than PoE

This is certainly a take

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Warhammer 40K Inquisitor oozes charm but that's all it has.

Progression and the item mechanics are extremely bland, and you don't get any cool abilities.

It's just shoot gun, or an extremely similar alt-fire for the whole game

Vadun fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 29, 2021

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Im using a potato computer for a month or 2 till i get a new beast comp, steam sale is up. Any game i can play on a dual 2.13ghz with 2g 7510 radeon card, 4 gig ram that is good multiplayer competitive fun?

Something like counter-strike classic or natural selection (the mod for HL2) but i played those to death. I was thinking maybe day of defeat (i loved red orchestra but cant play it on this) but i wanted to check here first see if i missed some good one for multiplayer thats potato-friendly. Im currently playing dungeons and dragons online which is fun but not haha got u gud, fun.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I just finished Yakuza 0, and though I want something different now, it was nice to play an action game again without motion sickness. So someone please suggest me some games:

• On Steam or maybe Humble.
  • An action game. I still have some point and click games to play through but I just want something more energetic.
  • Mindless might not be the right word, but but I don't think I want something with elaborate strategy or a frustrating skill ceiling right now (aka why I haven't gotten Celeste).
  • Unlikely to induce motion sickness. Probably not first person or especially twitchy 3rd person.
  • Works well with a controller
  • Is good single player. I'm not looking for online competition, but something like Path of Exile where it can be just PVE might be alright.
  • On sale is a plus.

I was thinking about getting Mech 5: Mercs but I don't know how the controller support is, if I could handle the motion, and the sale isn't great.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

If anyone is looking for a pretty relaxing Reccetear-lite style shop and crafting sim, I've fallen in love with Potion Craft: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1210320/Potion_Craft_Alchemist_Simulator/

The art style is delightful and it's deceptively complex. It has more than a little Papers Please feel to it and its early access so buying in now might be a good investment.

I've also got to sing the praises of https://store.steampowered.com/app/1092790/Inscryption/. I say this as someone who hates card games and deckbuilders and this game captured me and sucked me in in a way I can't adequately describe. The art style, framing device, meta elements and the fact it has a level of complexity that is just enough to draw me in without overwhelming me or alienating me is truly enchanting. I very highly recommend giving it a go while it has a halloween discount.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Magnetic North posted:

I just finished Yakuza 0, and though I want something different now, it was nice to play an action game again without motion sickness. So someone please suggest me some games:

• An action game. I still have some point and click games to play through but I just want something more energetic.
  • Mindless might not be the right word, but but I don't think I want something with elaborate strategy or a frustrating skill ceiling right now (aka why I haven't gotten Celeste).
  • Unlikely to induce motion sickness. Probably not first person or especially twitchy 3rd person.
  • Is good single player. I'm not looking for online competition, but something like Path of Exile where it can be just PVE might be alright.
  • On sale is a plus.

I was thinking about getting Mech 5: Mercs but I don't know how the controller support is, if I could handle the motion, and the sale isn't great.

Off the top of my head:

- The rest of the Yakuza games! They're all great.
- Earth Defense Force 4.1 and/or 5 might be good? They're great controller action games about shooting lots of aliens/bugs.
- Waves of Steel, a goon-made game about driving a battleship around - it's very arcadey, you have a dash button and shoot lots of missiles. Still in EA but I've been enjoying it.
- Dynasty Warriors 7 / 8 - have you checked out musous at all? They're probably the closest to Yakuza in terms of being brawlers.
- Shadow of Mordor weirdly enough, it's fun to flip around and hit orcs
- Just remembered Copy Kitty. It's pretty easy (though it scales up of course) and is really fun, if you like run-n-gun gameplay but with mixing weapons together.

...and the rest of what I've got is more skill-oriented or might be motion sickness inducing (Bayonetta)

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 30, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Magnetic North posted:

• On sale is a plus.

STREETS OF RAGE!!!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

exquisite tea posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I will get SoR4 the next time its on sale. I thought I had heard it was mediocre, though now that I think of it I have no idea where I got that from, since I just double checked and the only vidja games person I pay attention to any more (who we can all thank God for) liked it.

Tried the demo for Copy Kitty. It's like MMX and Kirby 64, which is good but also kinda feels like it's been replaced by Hades, which I've played, loved and got tired of. I got exactly one escape because I am a huge loving scrub and promptly lost interest.

Might try Waves of Steel but it looks like it's gonna make me miss Iron Brigade. That game was cool.

I dunno, I think the word for what I'm looking for is "visceral".

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Magnetic North posted:

I will get SoR4 the next time its on sale. I thought I had heard it was mediocre, though now that I think of it I have no idea where I got that from, since I just double checked and the only vidja games person I pay attention to any more (who we can all thank God for) liked it.

Tried the demo for Copy Kitty. It's like MMX and Kirby 64, which is good but also kinda feels like it's been replaced by Hades, which I've played, loved and got tired of. I got exactly one escape because I am a huge loving scrub and promptly lost interest.

Might try Waves of Steel but it looks like it's gonna make me miss Iron Brigade. That game was cool.

I dunno, I think the word for what I'm looking for is "visceral".

I really like Waves of Steel but it's definitely cartoony and it's not hard to build ship designs that kind of break the game. I do appreciate that the dev is super active (they post a ton on their thread here) and they have difficulty settings to make the game as hard as you want. I give it a 5/5 and would two thumbs up encourage other folks to buy it but it is still an EA cartoon game at this point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've come to realize that, even though I hate walking simulators, all of my favorite games are basically walking simulators an added layer of "real gameplay" on top of them. At the absolute top are the older Bethesda games, particularly Morrowind.

Is there anything in the indie space, maybe on Itch.io, that is like a Daggerfall or Morrowind? I'm talking open ended exploration with a strong loop of 1) Explore 2) Fight 3) Loot 4) Return to town, but with that Bethesda style that's almost like an immersive sim, with a robust set of systems and economies?

As a counter point, Battle Brothers certainly has the elements of being open ended, and a loop of fighting and looting and fighting again, but I'm looking for something that can also be almost a walking simulator?

For the purposes of this recommendation, I wouldn't turn down something that was third person, sprite based, etc; it doesn't need to be a 3d FPS to quality. Hit me with anything you think is halfway right and even if I don't think it's quite what I want maybe my responses will help further define what I'm looking for.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Play No Man’s Sky.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Outward

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Play No Man’s Sky.

Too much crafting, and the NPCs and Settlements don't have enough characterization. Probably shot myself in the foot by mentioning Daggerfall, when so much of the game is procedurally generated (not random, but generated randomly and then burned into the final game). I want something that has towns and villagers that are more characterized than No Man's Sky. It nails the sense of freedom and open exploration though.

v1ld posted:

Outward

Good guess; I've played it though and it's a bit too challenging and involved for what I'm looking for right now. I actually love the Requiem overhaul for Skyrim, but something about Outward still feels too punishing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I didn't like it myself and it's not in the indie realm but it sounds like Death Stranding might be right up your alley

I will throw out Muramasa: The Demon Blade as an option, there aren't exactly settlements with characterization or immersive sim aspects and you'll probably need a Wii or PSVita emulator to play it, but it has some of the most gorgeous art and in particular backgrounds to ever exist in video games and is essentially a game all about moving from point A to point B with mindless combat while staring slack-jawed at the scenery, and it has enough action to never feel idle or dull.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 1, 2021

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've come to realize that, even though I hate walking simulators, all of my favorite games are basically walking simulators an added layer of "real gameplay" on top of them. At the absolute top are the older Bethesda games, particularly Morrowind.

Is there anything in the indie space, maybe on Itch.io, that is like a Daggerfall or Morrowind? I'm talking open ended exploration with a strong loop of 1) Explore 2) Fight 3) Loot 4) Return to town, but with that Bethesda style that's almost like an immersive sim, with a robust set of systems and economies?

As a counter point, Battle Brothers certainly has the elements of being open ended, and a loop of fighting and looting and fighting again, but I'm looking for something that can also be almost a walking simulator?

For the purposes of this recommendation, I wouldn't turn down something that was third person, sprite based, etc; it doesn't need to be a 3d FPS to quality. Hit me with anything you think is halfway right and even if I don't think it's quite what I want maybe my responses will help further define what I'm looking for.

Have you checked out the various Spiderweb Software's RPG series', such as Avernum? Simple top down tile graphics, but in exchange a ton of good unique and inventive content. No progen, everything is hand placed and written to have a place in the world. They also very much don't railroad you through the main quests they have, you're free to get your rear end kicked in all kinds of exciting places found all over.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The two franchises went down very different paths afterwards, but Gothic 2 was released at the same time as Morrowind and has an incredibly detailed, handplaced world and a similiar loop between town and exploration. It still holds up IMO.

For something different, Subnautica has the same loop and is really good. Not a procgen affair and while there is crafting, you don't have to engage with it nearly as much as other games.

E:

StoryTime posted:

Have you checked out the various Spiderweb Software's RPG series', such as Avernum? Simple top down tile graphics, but in exchange a ton of good unique and inventive content. No progen, everything is hand placed and written to have a place in the world. They also very much don't railroad you through the main quests they have, you're free to get your rear end kicked in all kinds of exciting places found all over.

Actually a really solid suggestion. Just a heads up, Spiderweb has kind of a confusing storefront because they have spent the last decade re-making their older games from scratch, but without changing the titles :v:

I think Steam only has the re-releases, while GOG and Spiderweb's site has them all. The new versions are just fine fwiw. You can get the original 6 Avernum games on GOG for a couple bucks, and if they click with you, you'll probably like the new stuff too.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 1, 2021

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jack B Nimble posted:

Caves of Qud now has a RPG mode without permadeath and a decent UI for a rogue like.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Haven

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Outer Wilds

This isn't really specific to Jack B Nimble's request, it's missing the fighting and looting parts, but nevertheless,

Outer Wilds

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've played all of those except for Haven but I've only played about an hour of Avernum and Caves of Qud, so I think I'll do my best to try either of those again. Probably Caves, since the onboarding/difficulty curve is what bounced me off of it, whereas Avernum, while seeming like a fine game, felt more like it would satisfy my Baldur's Gate1 itch than my Morrowind itch.

Thanks all, great suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've played all of those except for Haven but I've only played about an hour of Avernum and Caves of Qud, so I think I'll do my best to try either of those again. Probably Caves, since the onboarding/difficulty curve is what bounced me off of it

I was like you and bounced off it immediately despite purchasing it. The setting was really calling me, but the lack of guidance/tutorial did not help, especially with permadeath

But the latest update is really a game changer for me. There is even a "wander" mode where most ennemies are peaceful and you get XP for discovering things instead. The "RPG" mode is perfect though. You can save in towns but not in the wild, so there's still some challenge left in exploring dungeons.

The new overlay UIs also make it possible to play the game almost entirely via mouse or controller which is also nice so you don't need to remember keyboard shortcuts.

Basically the game has evolved a lot since I purchased it, and now I was finally able to enjoy it, and it is really a pleasant explore/loot experience. The atmosphere is really exotic and magical, I don't think many games capture a setting that well. Morrowind comes to mind.

e: https://cavesofqud.fandom.com/wiki/Beginner%27s_Guide

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 1, 2021