Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HopperUK posted:

My favourite fact about Andrew Robinson is that when cast as the psychopathic killer in Dirty Harry (a role he got because he looked so innocent), he hated guns so much that he would visibly flinch whenever called on to fire one, and the director had to send him for extra training to get him to stop it.

And then he was Liberace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's some sci-fi work I've heard about that's all about more advanced species uplifting other species, and when humans discover the rest of galactic society, it turns out that all other sentient races are the result of uplifting, and they don't buy into the whole "humans just naturally evolving" thing so they start looking for humanity's deadbeat dad.
That's David Brin's Uplift Universe.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I tried to read that once and the author's dick fell out of his pants onto the page on like, page 3, and I decided not to loving bother. I was in a bad mood that day but I haven't really regretted it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alchenar posted:

I've completely lost track of it but once upon a time someone wrote about a short story in which humanity is Expanse-like spreading across the solar system when all of a sudden almost everything gets obliterated by a string of nuclear missiles arriving at relativistic speed. An alien follow-on occupation force shows up and as they're seizing control of what's left one of them explains to a survivor 'it's nothing personal, it's just that it turns out there's no way to spot or defend yourself against someone accelerating a ton of nukes to the speed of light and throwing them at you, so the only safe bet for our survival is to wipe out any species that looks like it's getting close to that capability'.

That reminds me of a very short story I read years ago where in the near future, Earth gets obliterated by a relativistic rock out of nowhere. The last human alive was out at geosynchronous orbit to fix a cable TV satellite, and an alien starship arrives and picks him up. They also explain to him that it was nothing personal, they've been monitoring Earth's transmissions and decided to strike first since they simply couldn't stand up against our immense technological might. The repairman guy asks what the hell they're talking about, and they give him examples like photon torpedoes and the Death Star. He objects that that's all just science fiction, to which they reply: "We understand your word 'science', but... what is 'fiction'?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Powered Descent posted:

That reminds me of a very short story I read years ago where in the near future, Earth gets obliterated by a relativistic rock out of nowhere. The last human alive was out at geosynchronous orbit to fix a cable TV satellite, and an alien starship arrives and picks him up. They also explain to him that it was nothing personal, they've been monitoring Earth's transmissions and decided to strike first since they simply couldn't stand up against our immense technological might. The repairman guy asks what the hell they're talking about, and they give him examples like photon torpedoes and the Death Star. He objects that that's all just science fiction, to which they reply: "We understand your word 'science', but... what is 'fiction'?"

EXPLAIN IT TO HIM AS YOU WOULD A CHILD!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

HopperUK posted:

I tried to read that once and the author's dick fell out of his pants onto the page on like, page 3, and I decided not to loving bother. I was in a bad mood that day but I haven't really regretted it.
It's been decades since I read any of that series but from my dim recollections you're not missing anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The worst is when an author is like YO, I'VE GOT AN AWESOME CONCEPT and you're like whoa this actually is awesome I can't wait to read mo- I AM A WEIRDO FUCKUP ON MANY LEVELS, THIS IS PROMINENT IN MY PROSE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

The worst is when an author is like YO, I'VE GOT AN AWESOME CONCEPT and you're like whoa this actually is awesome I can't wait to read mo- I AM A WEIRDO FUCKUP ON MANY LEVELS, THIS IS PROMINENT IN MY PROSE

It's right up there with "YO, I'VE GOT AN AWESOME CONCEPT... WATCH ME COMPLETELY SQUANDER IT BECAUSE I'M A HACK AND/OR A COWARD"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

This is basically every single sci-fi author of note, ever. You just get used to picking your poison.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is basically every single sci-fi author of note, ever. You just get used to picking your poison.

What do I want today, vague pedo vibes? Star Mormonism? Libertarian slave apologia? This book's good, but I think maybe rape should happen and it should make characters gay..?

nine-gear crow posted:

It's right up there with "YO, I'VE GOT AN AWESOME CONCEPT... WATCH ME COMPLETELY SQUANDER IT BECAUSE I'M A HACK AND/OR A COWARD"

I always wonder if they stole it from someplace, or if there's a sadistic Muse

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

What do I want today, vague pedo vibes? Star Mormonism? Libertarian slave apologia? This book's good, but I think maybe rape should happen and it should make characters gay..?

See this is why you go with Philip K Dick. His main vices were all of the drugs and also intense paranoia partially fueled by his schizophrenia.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh I love Dick

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

YO, I HAVE A REALLY COOL SCI-FI CONCEPT but unfortunately I AM ALSO INCLUDING ALL OF MY CREEPY-rear end FETISHES IN THE NARRATIVE

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Ah, good ol' Piers Anthony.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is the Uplift series the one with the dolphin uplifts who are horny all the time? I remember liking that one as a teenager that read a lot of sci-fi but it probably didn’t occur to me at the time that it was weird for the dolphins to be so horny.

e: i liked it for the plot not the horny dolphins

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

that would explain cetacean ops

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roadie posted:

Ah, good ol' Piers Anthony.

I thought all the weird sex stuff in his books was supposed to be a joke? …Is it not a joke? :stare:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

blastron posted:

Is the Uplift series the one with the dolphin uplifts who are horny all the time? I remember liking that one as a teenager that read a lot of sci-fi but it probably didn’t occur to me at the time that it was weird for the dolphins to be so horny.

I mean, horny-rear end dolphins are scientifically accurate.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

blastron posted:

But we've since discovered that it would be weird for the dolphins not to be horny...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Remember that NASA funded project where a woman lived in a half-flooded apartment with a Dolphin to teach it to communicate with people and to get any useful work done she had to jerk it off first?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

New thread subtitle there

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Owlbear Camus posted:

Remember that NASA funded project where a woman lived in a half-flooded apartment with a Dolphin to teach it to communicate with people and to get any useful work done she had to jerk it off first?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

But enough about me and my wife

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Absolutely, though some are worse than others.

I couldn't finish Peter F. Hamilton's The Reality Dysfunction. It was loving gross

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Be glad you didn't read his gangbang fantasy trilogy I mean sorry the Void Trilogy.

It's just so blatant

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

The scientist who ran those experiments was also a drugged-up lunatic and part of his experiments with dolphins was giving them LSD, which some of them refused to come up for air while they were tripping out.

I think a lot of the big experiments that gave rise to this idea of uplifting other animals to the level of humanity turned out to be incredibly flawed. A lot of ape sign language experiments fell through too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm way more interested in learning more about animal communication and conversing with them at their level and on their terms. The first trembling steps towards Gaia

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I don't remember that episode of Seaquest no

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

V-Men posted:

Sounds more like Sealab 2021 tbh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

D-darwin senses DANGER!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://youtu.be/UziFw-jQSks

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

There's a Drunk History about LSDolphinHandjobs and its the best one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, the obvious one is all the conquering empires. That's what the prime directive is supposed to mainly be preventing, the Federation doesn't want to end up taking control of these societies with their influence, and possibly preserve galactic biodiversity by allowing different types of life and societies to form instead of just pushing every society to be just like the Federation. There's also been a few times in Star Trek where the Federation runs into some weird higher culture is cultivating a more primitive society for whatever reason.

There's some sci-fi work I've heard about that's all about more advanced species uplifting other species, and when humans discover the rest of galactic society, it turns out that all other sentient races are the result of uplifting, and they don't buy into the whole "humans just naturally evolving" thing so they start looking for humanity's deadbeat dad. Mass Effect has the Salarians uplifting and later mass-sterilizing the Krogan and the Hanar taking in the Drell from their doomed world to use as vassals and the Reapers laying a honey trap for the development of galactic civilization so it will develop along predictable lines. Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End has its own weird thing. Babylon 5 has the Vorlons and Shadows trying to cultivate the younger races of the galaxy in their own ways.

I think there's a lot of sci-fi that ends up having a whole apathy over how much more advanced races screw with less advanced civilizations, and in that you get things where sometimes a corporation sets up shop on a lesser developed world and maybe they do some slave labor or destroy the environment, or maybe the local life steals the technology and bootstraps itself. Maybe people just plop down on more primitive worlds just to lay low. And on the other side of things, you get the things that make up a lot of superheroes in space where do-gooders are fine with just plopping out of the sky to right wrongs and then get right outta there. Star Wars often leans on the apathetic side of things, since galactic society is more concerned with its own stuff. Futurama is apathetic as a joke, superhero fiction or things like Wander Over Yonder.

Man there are a lot more examples I had actually seen before but wasn't thinking of when I asked, plus some new things to check out. I think generally Three Body Problem should be my first stop since it seems to have many of the itchy things I want to see leaned into.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

V-Men posted:

That was the one with shatner in it

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Powered Descent posted:

YO, I HAVE A REALLY COOL SCI-FI CONCEPT but unfortunately I AM ALSO INCLUDING ALL OF MY CREEPY-rear end FETISHES IN THE NARRATIVE

Just wait until you see a Scifi ANIME

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Goddamn, this blend of burnouts experimenting with new drugs and attempting to do hacky science is really terrible. That any scientific advancement were made when it seems like high-as-balls loonies could perfectly convince others they were doing legitimate science is incredible.

also all these weirdoes having sex with dolphins who weren't even in the experiment, just creepy opportunists. why are these people.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My fav version of that tale is the Dollop's take on it. It's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTDNgMCTgA

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hank Hill was right to refer to the dolphin encounter as a "dolphin confrontation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You are starting to understand why only the militant Ent-D of "Yesterday's Enterprise" made mention of Cetacean Ops.