Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Nice piece of fish posted:

How can we be sure? Speak some magic law words to convince the Elders of the Internet.

Ipso facto who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

merk posted:

Ipso facto who gives a poo poo

Checks out, invite is in the mail.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
Well guys, I got a 180 on the October LSAT but I have a poo poo GPA (Sub 3.5) I am not a URM. Have I essentially wasted my time?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
yeah man I'm sure schools will hate that you got a 180

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soothing Vapors posted:

yeah man I'm sure schools will hate that you got a 180

Absolutely. You're a perfect candidate for law school. You should go and keep us posted on your successful career!

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Absolutely. You're a perfect candidate for law school. You should go and keep us posted on your successful career!

:(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You won't even need to change your name

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Well guys, I got a 180 on the October LSAT but I have a poo poo GPA (Sub 3.5) I am not a URM. Have I essentially wasted my time?

Either nothing is a waste of time or everything is.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

You should buy some bowties for your Law School Admissions interviews

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ungghhh I have big tits but... I make so much noise when I walk because I'm dummy thicc...my big rear end and tits...one will want me....?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

You’ll probably be able to get into a T14. Up to you whether that’s a waste of time.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ok. So after a while, I figured this out.

You are smart. Very smart. That's a hell of an last score. The problem is you're going to be studying with people who are almost as smart but much more diligent.

Success in law isn't about smart. If you want the big firm job,, you need to put in the time understanding every single piece of what you're doing. Studying to the point where your eyes hurt and you ruin your life. Because that's who they want working at the firm.

Firms don't make money from you being smart and solving the problem in an hour with 99.5% confidence. They make money from you researching the 0.5% possibility for 40 hours.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GrandmaParty posted:

Ok. So after a while, I figured this out.

You are smart. Very smart. That's a hell of an last score. The problem is you're going to be studying with people who are almost as smart but much more diligent.

Success in law isn't about smart. If you want the big firm job,, you need to put in the time understanding every single piece of what you're doing. Studying to the point where your eyes hurt and you ruin your life. Because that's who they want working at the firm.

Firms don't make money from you being smart and solving the problem in an hour with 99.5% confidence. They make money from you researching the 0.5% possibility for 40 hours.

Yes, we all know about bill padding

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Take your 180, get a full ride in a top 25 school, take a job doing whatever motivates you, pay off your cost of living loans in 5 years.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i got less than that on the lsat and my gpa was slightly lower than 3.5 and i got into a top school and am now a partner so uh i don't think so

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kalman posted:

You’ll probably be able to get into a T14. Up to you whether that’s a waste of time.

I should have gone to my local state school. Back in the 2000s going to UB was so stupid cheap comparitively

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also as a reminder while lower-ranked schools (and the bottom half of the T14 counts as this) have to knife-fight for every point of their rankings, the top schools have the luxury of considering how hard your gpa was to some degree (i.e. was it a good school, was it a hard major). doesn't mean they are going to, but it means that you will be slightly more than a number to them because they have the luxury of being slightly longer-term minded about school prestige

this may cut for you or against you, of course

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I don’t know how much it has changed but five years ago you’d be able to get into a T14 with some money and would have a fighting chance at Harvard, even with a 3.4.

You were unlikely to get a full ride in the T14, unfortunately, at least back then.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I have a compelling personal narrative as well (I was homeless and a drug addict at one point) so I'm hoping for the best.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

terrorist ambulance posted:

Ungghhh I have big tits but... I make so much noise when I walk because I'm dummy thicc...my big rear end and tits...one will want me....?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

terrorist ambulance posted:

my biceps have gotten so heavy and laden with rippling muscles that my arm gets tired real quick when I start tugging on my ten inch hog :( :( life is so unfair

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I have a compelling personal narrative as well (I was homeless and a drug addict at one point) so I'm hoping for the best.

FYI, not being a dick, a history of addiction + the practice of law is a rough combination

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

FYI, not being a dick, a history of addiction + the practice of law is a rough combination

Yeah. Lawyers have one of the highest if not the highest substance abuse rates of any profession.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
On the other hand, my AA meetings are full of lawyers so its a great way to network!

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
You are far more likely to succeed than the vast majority of 0Ls, so that's really great. Being a lawyer mostly sucks, but if you're taking the LSAT, I suspect you don't have a lot of other options in terms of useful skills, so you may as well give it a go.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

merk posted:

Can I get a link to the discord? I am a lawyer and would like to lawyer with other lawyers in the lawyer chat.

How can we be sure? Speak some magic law words to convince the Elders of the Internet.

Shageletic posted:

I should have

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

What, not gone to law school? Yeah that checks out. Are you not in the discord? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What, not gone to law school? Yeah that checks out. Are you not in the discord? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Waste enough of my time on this here lovely forums lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I can only bill so many increments of 6 mins with "lol"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Shageletic posted:

Waste enough of my time on this here lovely forums lol

Right, misunderstood you. No discord. As you were.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

EwokEntourage posted:

On the other hand, my AA meetings are full of lawyers so its a great way to network!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

EwokEntourage posted:

Mine too man.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Who knew bar review, weekly on campus beer, wine, and scotch tastings and miscellaneous drunken events and literally rolling out kegs in school hallways would create an unhealthy attitude towards drinking? Who knew!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Shageletic posted:

Who knew bar review, weekly on campus beer, wine, and scotch tastings and miscellaneous drunken events and literally rolling out kegs in school hallways would create an unhealthy attitude towards drinking? Who knew!

One of the few things that changed from the student experience p.o.v. at my law school when it changed Deans during my time there is that the school went from tolerating all such things to actually buying us the drinks itself at receptions and socials and such once the new, non-Mormon, guy showed up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shageletic posted:

the thing is that all sounds bad but you gotta remember it is after college so uh it’s kind of an improvement for many people

the real issue is that being a lawyer can be stressful and people self-medicate

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the thing is that all sounds bad but you gotta remember it is after college so uh it’s kind of an improvement for many people

the real issue is that being a lawyer can be stressful and people self-medicate

That and expectations. A lot of people are in way worse professions, but the law profession is full of people (and I'm the same way honestly) that would rather focus on how much they're not living up to what they think they should be, instead of what they have. It's something endemic in the profession.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Shageletic posted:

That and expectations. A lot of people are in way worse professions, but the law profession is full of people (and I'm the same way honestly) that would rather focus on how much they're not living up to what they think they should be, instead of what they have. It's something endemic in the profession.

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that everyone's classmates are making a broad range of money. If you graduate med school, you tend to make the same amount of money as your classmates, all things equal with specializations and the like. Meanwhile, in law school, if you're halfway socially competent, you have friends who are making $180,000 a year out of the box while you're making $60,000. Or less, for basically the same work

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 2, 2021

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The arbitrary income difference is pretty wild. I used to work with a 70 year old lawyer who had done like 300 jury trials and was legitimately an expert trial attorney, and he would charge clients like $250 an hour because he was an insurance defense lawyer. Meanwhile at big firms some second year associate is billing $400/hr to read through 100 contracts and make a spreadsheet of their termination and assignment provisions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I got $22.50/hr on a 1099 contract and I’m the highest paid associate my former boss had ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The arbitrary income difference is pretty wild. I used to work with a 70 year old lawyer who had done like 300 jury trials and was legitimately an expert trial attorney, and he would charge clients like $250 an hour because he was an insurance defense lawyer. Meanwhile at big firms some second year associate is billing $400/hr to read through 100 contracts and make a spreadsheet of their termination and assignment provisions.

Had he just not updated his billing rates since the turn of the century ?