Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

scaterry posted:

1. Yep.
2. It goes to a courtier.

Might be grandchildren in general. For some reason you can arrange wrong-lineality marriages to them and the AI will accept.

Huh, I landed them so they should be /their/ heir, but who knows. I guess I'll try female dominated to see if that works at least. Or just return to never landing my heir ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Eimi posted:

Are matrilineal marriages still bugged? I had an equal realm and spent the entire evening setting it up, I had a female heir, who had a female heir of her own. After the end of my session and nearing the end of my first ruler's life I check out her kids. NONE of them set up matrilineal marriages for their own daughters so none of their heirs are the right dynasty. I have default game rules, so since they are part of an equal realm, they should defeat to matri marriages? Extremely frustrating to lose an evening to this.

As far as I can tell it works for direct heirs, but only when they are the next in line. Kids of kids who aren't next in line to inherit at the time of the marriage decision ignore the matrilineal rules entirely from what I have seen, even if they are situated so that inevitably they will be in line to inherit once a few people die out, they get treated exactly the same as if they were out of the line of succession and go back to default marriage rules - i.e. if you're playing on a normal setting in a male dominated religion, no matrilineal marriages whatseover. You basically have to raise them yourself and set up the marriages manually to avoid this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SlothBear posted:

As far as I can tell it works for direct heirs, but only when they are the next in line. Kids of kids who aren't next in line to inherit at the time of the marriage decision ignore the matrilineal rules entirely from what I have seen, even if they are situated so that inevitably they will be in line to inherit once a few people die out, they get treated exactly the same as if they were out of the line of succession and go back to default marriage rules - i.e. if you're playing on a normal setting in a male dominated religion, no matrilineal marriages whatseover. You basically have to raise them yourself and set up the marriages manually to avoid this.

That is incredibly annoying, I thought that was supposed to be fixed.

:negative:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The game setting of always helps a ton with it, once you have an equal realm.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Indeed, as with most things, the best solution is to crush the patriarchy.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I hope that's something that Royal Court fixes: making it easier to keep my family at my court. I've lost too many games where my heir fucks off because their spouse unexpectedly inherited some rando county and then all my grandkids turn the wrong religion/culture and marry extremely unfavorably (and more vitally: out-of-dynasty) because they're back to a patriarchal religion.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

PizzaProwler posted:

I hope that's something that Royal Court fixes: making it easier to keep my family at my court. I've lost too many games where my heir fucks off because their spouse unexpectedly inherited some rando county and then all my grandkids turn the wrong religion/culture and marry extremely unfavorably (and more vitally: out-of-dynasty) because they're back to a patriarchal religion.

And on that note, landed female rulers should not embrace heresies that cause all of their vassals to despise them for being a landed female ruler. Or at the very least they should greatly prefer doing the exact opposite.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
One of the most annoying things with CK3 is that our enemies can pick up new alliances and call them far into a war. I guess I need to check how many kids or siblings they have that are unmarried before declaring, but it is hard to tell what kind of alliances they can get. One of the random things that irritate me with this game.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

SlothBear posted:

And on that note, landed female rulers should not embrace heresies that cause all of their vassals to despise them for being a landed female ruler. Or at the very least they should greatly prefer doing the exact opposite.

I am very much into this happening provided it lines up with their traits. more heresies, more heretics, more fun.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So this Saturday we did a Tales of Ireland mod test game in the Mapgoons Discord and it went really well. We didn't have any desync issues and only one player was lagging the game to speed 1 but that seems to be on his side since it went away when he left the game. We'll be doing a proper weekly game starting this Saturday if anyone is interested in checking it out with us.

The mod itself is pretty interesting, each culture has a unique mechanic and I was playing Formorian which was mostly focused on warfare and making others tributaries. I didn't find this very interesting so I'll be messing around with the other cultures to find one with a mechanic I like for the next game.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

Also the vampire mod owns and if it just got an update it might be time to get back into this

I've tried to play the vampire mod in the past, and while I like the concept, I stall out quickly because I'm an overpowered character who won't die of old age and I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. Is there a "pick this character and try to do these things" kind of hint for easing into the mod?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hryme posted:

One of the most annoying things with CK3 is that our enemies can pick up new alliances and call them far into a war. I guess I need to check how many kids or siblings they have that are unmarried before declaring, but it is hard to tell what kind of alliances they can get. One of the random things that irritate me with this game.

They changed it so you can't bring in new allies immediately, and you should get a warning when the alliance happens so you can determine if you can take the new guys on or not.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Aha so the solution is to white peace out before they call them in? The prestige or piety will be lost but not that bad. Don't they consider their new powerful ally's troop count when checking if they want peace so that will make them more likely to reject after signing a new alliance?

I will try that next time that happens instead of getting stomped and run over. In my last game the duke I declared on had no allies when I started the war, and picked up 3 new allies. Was a bit surprising.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 1, 2021

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The best medicine is preparation IMO. Only fight wars where you have a reasonably large advantage and the possible ai allies will always be too late to even matter because you’ve crushed the enemy armies already.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary Is that a dagger in your pocket… Inventory System/Commission Artifact

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

This looks like a really fun system and will give a lot to do and help the game feel like more of an rpg.

My main concern is that this might just be another system that a human player can understand and exploit easily while the AI cannot which will just widen the gap between human and AI players. But we shall see! Now I'm impatient again. :sludgepal:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It looks like you can only outright buy low-tier artifacts, so I don't think the player will be able to get away too fast. By the time you have a bunch of overpowered artifacts giving you a big edge over the AI, you also have the big realm, properly-built-dynasty etc. already snowballing you.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The dueling over artifacts is interesting, wonder what exactly the criteria are for having a claim to do that. Would finally be something that actually makes a ruler's prowess meaningful for non Norse.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

I've tried to play the vampire mod in the past, and while I like the concept, I stall out quickly because I'm an overpowered character who won't die of old age and I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. Is there a "pick this character and try to do these things" kind of hint for easing into the mod?

idk if i was playing it right either, but it made sense from more than one perspective to me just to play it like a very long term chess game thing.

and i think it does rely heavily on knowing the lore insofar as "what should I be doing" because it's pretty self guided, at least the last time i played it. some of the major figures have storylines built in as event chains but that was pretty bare bones from my recollection, thats probably a major substantive part of the update.

it did send me down a WoD wiki rabbit hole though, which i greatly enjoyed.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Hargrimm posted:

The dueling over artifacts is interesting, wonder what exactly the criteria are for having a claim to do that. Would finally be something that actually makes a ruler's prowess meaningful for non Norse.

From the thread:
When a character dies, their heir gets their items, but the heir's siblings get Claims to the item
If an item is taken from you (such as after a Siege), you get a Claim to take it back
If you hold an item long enough, your House gets a Claim on it, and anyone in the House could try to take it back from someone not in the House

Claims can let you duel for an artifact, but you can also go to war to reclaim them

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Declaring war for my claim on the Holy Prepuce

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Declaring war for my claim on the Holy Prepuce
And then you put it in a ring slot.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can you reject such a duel, I wonder? If I am weak of body, but still the drat king, I should be able to tell the pretenders "no, you fool, I am King".

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Can you reject such a duel, I wonder? If I am weak of body, but still the drat king, I should be able to tell the pretenders "no, you fool, I am King".

Looks like the ai has a chance to reject so I’m sure the player can too. Probably with a prestige penalty or something.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

you should really be allowed to use one of your knights to duel in your place if you've got low prowess.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, or at least have a technology to research called 'judicial championship' and bob's your uncle.

It's probably still going to be quite shameful for norse heathens to reject it, but with the duel system there are a lot of extra options you can get out of traits, or even just throw gold in their eyes or snuck-in knives to the gut :black101:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I hope the culture changes make provinces culture shifting take way longer. Africa becomes an absolute cultural mess every game it seems

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I hope the culture changes make provinces culture shifting take way longer. Africa becomes an absolute cultural mess every game it seems
You can already set culture conversion speed in game rules, I usually set it to slower, it still allows Ironman

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Teasers for the Azeroth mod continue to look great imo. Between this and some of the other fantasy TC mods it’s fun watching people learn new ways to use the character system.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-81-a-tour-of-your-royal-court-interface.1496879/

Finally, a dev diary about court grandeur!
Could it be? the vaunted return of diplo-vassalization?
Also, those penalties for going below court grandeur expectations are nasty, drat

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

scaterry posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-81-a-tour-of-your-royal-court-interface.1496879/

Also, those penalties for going below court grandeur expectations are nasty, drat

The throne room decorating is reminding me of upgrading your castle in the old civ games, which I really loved.

And grandeur penalties for being way below expectations will hopefully slow down the inevitable snowball to empire.

As always, an update that makes me want to log in and play, and then makes me realize all that isn't out yet and sigh at the fact this is probably three months away at least.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

scaterry posted:

Diplo vassalization is in now? Though the AI is quite hesitant to accept.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
One of the screenshots from the dev diary showed that Diplomatic Courts get a bonus to diplovassalize acceptance chance that's scaled by their Grandeur, so that should make it a lot more viable if the numbers are right (assuming that it stays in rather than Paradox getting nervous about how easy it is and nerfing it before release).

If maintaining high grandeur is pricey enough then I would imagine they can make the bonus relevant, and the game could use more things that actually cost gold lategame besides armies and buildings.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Also shows max personal schemes +1. Aw yeah, two seductions at the same time.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothBear posted:

Also shows max personal schemes +1. Aw yeah, two seductions at the same time.

tbh, the number 1 thing I get out of that is that forming a witch coven is a lot easier, although still a pain in the rear end.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Diplo vassalization is in now? Though the AI is quite hesitant to accept.

yeah, I shoulda clarified. I meant the return of diplo-vassalization as a viable strat. Currently it's only really feasible in India, or if you start as exactly Bjorn Ironside.

Btw, some really interesting dev responses-- here are all the diplo court benefits!

It looks like each level provides one benefit, except for level 7, 9 which provide three benefits. Level 1, 4, 7, 10 are specific to court type-- the rest appear to be generic. I do think the later levels could stand to be much, much stronger, but I'd have to play to find out.

There's also a picture of exceeding court grandeur expectations as well--

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SlothBear posted:

The throne room decorating is reminding me of upgrading your castle in the old civ games, which I really loved.

And grandeur penalties for being way below expectations will hopefully slow down the inevitable snowball to empire.

As always, an update that makes me want to log in and play, and then makes me realize all that isn't out yet and sigh at the fact this is probably three months away at least.

The best time to play Paradox games is right before a major expansion when it is most stable. The worst time is right after the expansion, even if you don't get it the base game normally ends up with a ton of new bugs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

God I want Royal Court to be out already so much.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hellioning posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Hellioning posted:

It's been a while since I was this excited for a paradox DLC.