Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Lock Knight posted:

Red Hood has gone beyond ordinary metatext commentary. Was this always the intended endgame? Is the author a fan of Cabin in the Woods?

I miss the crab tank.

I think he's a fan of drinking himself into a stopper as a result of being on WSJ Death Row and maybe reading too much Fire Force.

Which is to say any Fire Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1454825840450093060?s=20

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

Red Hood has become a metatextual critique on the nature of canceling series in Jump lmao

Yeah, it might as well just be a page going "Cancel my book will ya?" :argh:

This week's Witch Watch was fun like usual. Itty bitty emoting Moi was cute.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Between this and Chainsaw man, 2022 is looking pretty stacked with anime adaptations of great shonen series.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
no mashle this week?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Between this and Chainsaw man, 2022 is looking pretty stacked with anime adaptations of great shonen series.

Don't forget Mob, the finale of Titan, the JJK movie... It's looking like a stacked year on that front.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Obviously unofficial, but...not lookin good

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1454828036118007816?s=20

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Ah, man, I like Neru. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Not super surprising. Both fights unceremoniously ending and the protagonist's mom suddenly appearing in the same chapter of Neru definitely felt like a plot fast foward.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto: Okay that fake out with the wife got me. The sniper is still awesome. The way Sakamoto tries to take care of everyone, including this bum is somehow pretty cute. Still, looking forward for the battles.

Undead unluck: That’s Beyblade!

Neru: I…don’t know why I’m still reading this. I guess the art style? It’s incomprehensible to me at this point with wavy haired people popping and out of frame.

Magu: Feels like Magu is getting back on it’s feet again. The holy knight people are great, I hope to see them more now. Also lol. Hermit crabs?!

Witch watch: mini moi was really nice. But this was a cool chapter regardless. Good way of going in depth with the characters and their relationships while still keeping it gradual. And again, I can’t wait for this spell to show up at the climax.

Elusive Samurai. That artwork….

Roboco: Roboco hit that point like Magu Chan where it feels like the Mangaka doesn’t know what to do next.
But! Raditz Elbow was great. It’s a good handle.

Mashle: I guess went out for cream puffs.

Based on comments about red hood I checked that out as well. And lol at those meta comments.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

neru didn't go as crazy as red hood but it did feel like it could be going out soon, so not too surprising. this chapter especially feels like a cancelled series wrap up to me

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, it might as well just be a page going "Cancel my book will ya?" :argh:

I mean, there was the line that they screwed up as soon as they used the book which seems to be accepting some blame on a premise level.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elusive Samurai: drat, the art in the last page is dope. But also, how come I'm not a Lord of Carnage yet????

Mashle: There was no Mashle this week.

Red Hood: To be honest this is the most exciting Red Hood has ever been for me.

Robocco: Sort of a miss chapter for me in its handling of cyber bullying and flaming.

Sakamoto: Nagano posing as the wife caught me off guard. I was expecting the death row inmates to be more of a threat, but so far, they're being handily dispatched. Looking forward to the fight next chapter!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, I'm kinda getting tired of Blue Box. The character development has been really great, but I just can't stand all this will-they-won't-they teasing. I get that's sorta the bread and butter of a romance manga, but still. The last chapter's cliffhanger actually felt like something might happen, but then it just copped out on the first page. So now this chapter also having a "something might happen!" cliffhanger just feels so meh. I know this sort of baiting is intentional but ugh, it's just frustrating.

PPPPPP is weird and the art's not great, but I'm kind of enjoying it? I like how sincere it is. I also enjoy it examining from various angles the pain that being passionate about something can cause.

It's a sham Red Hood is obviously headed out the door, cus I fuckin love this. On the other hand, this story would be way, waaaay less impactful and interesting without the looming threat of cancelation. If this is getting canceled, I actually kind of am looking forward to it? Cus it would make the series as a whole a short and interesting story about canceled Shonen mangas. The pacing would be weird, but that would really work to the benefit of the story, imo. A Shonen series cut short about Shonen series getting cut short!

https://twitter.com/KawaguchiTw/status/1454669006971932676?t=hL9vaDuZ3niYDDjGtgN2Kg&s=19

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 1, 2021

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's a sham Red Hood is obviously headed out the door, cus I fuckin love this. On the other hand, this story would be way, waaaay less impactful and interesting without the looming threat of cancelation. If this is getting canceled, I actually kind of am looking forward to it? Cus it would make the series as a whole a short and interesting story about canceled Shonen mangas. The pacing would be weird, but that would really work to the benefit of the story, imo. A Shonen series cut short about Shonen series getting cut short!

it's lasboss x hero all over again...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I don't know. To me, It all feels like finger waving at the few readers that are still reading, saddling them with all the fault, whenever someone does something like this.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 1, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Neru doesn't feel canceled yet to me? But maybe because it's "story" is vague as hell anyway. What are we even here for?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do not feel like I am being saddled with guilty or fault in any way whatsoever, though.

I fuckin' love the meta-ness.

Also, I just love how the whacky plot makes the entire series so far feel like a single, weirdly-paced movie, what with the sudden jump from training to be a hero to saving the world.

Actually, in a movie that wouldn't even be too weirdly paced, especially if it was the first movie in a saga of movies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't really feel like neru's vague. it's just the goku thing. get stronger to get stronger, also there's the element of the grandpa disappearing

the cancelled feel comes a lot from how it's handled his roommate, with the flashbacks and talk of character interactions we didn't get to see. the mom intro also feels out of nowhere with how his family situation looked before

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 1, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't really feel like neru's vague. it's just the goku thing. get stronger to get stronger, also there's the element of the grandpa disappearing

the cancelled feel comes a lot from how it's handled his roommate, with the flashbacks and talk of character interactions we didn't get to see. the mom intro also feels out of nowhere with how his family situation looked before

It doesn't feel like the Goku thing though?
In OG Dragonball, Goku was questing for his grandfathers dragonball. It informed pretty much all his interactions (as in he asks everyone he encounters). Later on it's to bring back friends with the Dragonballs. (Note, I didn't read or see the very beginning of Dragonball, so maybe it's more analogous to that?)
In Z and Super Goku/the world has bad guys literally coming towards him. While getting stronger is central to his character, it's not really central to the story.

The family situation is vague as well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk how you can consider Goku’s fight addiction completely divorced from his adventures given Vegeta, the androids, and Buu. I mean, all those terrible choices he made letting them leave/activate end up making the world a better place in the long run but even ignoring Piccolo Jr (where he kind of has a valid reason besides his fight addiction) Goku wanting to push himself shaped the events of Z in a pretty big way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's interesting how differently Red Hood and Neru have handled their pending doom. Red Hood rushed endgame and got really meta, while Neru is just kind of... doing more of the same, but a bit faster.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Idk how you can consider Goku’s fight addiction completely divorced from his adventures given Vegeta, the androids, and Buu. I mean, all those terrible choices he made letting them leave/activate end up making the world a better place in the long run but even ignoring Piccolo Jr (where he kind of has a valid reason besides his fight addiction) Goku wanting to push himself shaped the events of Z in a pretty big way.

I don't consider it completely divorced. However, point me to the Z story where his desire to fight started the storyline or caused the conflict. Because that's what I said. There's like only 1 saga that actually starts because Goku really wanted to fight and that was in Super.
Saiyan Saga: Radditz showed up, killed him so he had to go on a dead adventure to get stronger and protect his friends and family.
Freeza Saga: They go out to find big dragonballs because a lot of his friends died. Goku does train while in a starship. But that is honestly a very tiny part of the story. He does get Super Saiyan, but that has to do with getting revenge on Freeza. Because his friend died.
Android Saga: Trunks shows up to warn everyone of something strong coming their way. Goku meanwhile was faffing about in space learning to teleport. This is the first time Goku makes a bad if morally defend-able decision in that he doesn't seek out and stop the Androids before release. The Androids just have a destructive joyride until Cell shows up to hijack the plot. Just for the hell of it, the Android saga technically started because Goku destroyed the Red Ribbon Army because they were also after the dragonballs and actively attacked him and hurt the friends along the way.
Cell: Cell organises a tournament under the threat of world destruction. Goku heals Cell so his son can get a fighting boner like he has. I guess that counts.
Buu: Goku was literally dead half the story. His desire to fight didn't really do anything.

Does he let people go? Yes, because he's at heart a good guy who doesn't want to kill.
All of the Dragonball stories had an actual sense of threat/adventure/purpose. Goku did things because of his friends. Goku kept fighting because he loves getting stronger. Goku let people go so he could match with them again because he likes to fight. But he made friends and connections along the way.

Contrast Neru who goes to some vaguely defined school to..I guess learn Martial Arts because? I guess just because.
Who knows Neru? Where are the parents? You can say that it's a mystery, but apparently it's not because Neru doesn't seem to care. It's not informing anything he does.
Remember that Neru has 2 friends? One in the first chapter and then the smart kid from the opening? They don't really exist. The one from the first chapter makes some sense since he was not a martial artist so he has no reason to be there. But he was the only one with a connection to Neru.
Neru has no connections to anyone to drive him. I always assumed Grandpa died of old age, so has he been living alone in the dump in the beginning? But we don't know and Neru sure doesn't care. He never told anyone at least.
It's weird how disconnected Neru is from the world.
I say vaguely defined school because they apparently only teach martial arts, which is fine, but they do that in some weird competition with sometimes actual weapons? Neru is in the school, except not really because he lives in a cabin with a "drop out"? The teachers are fine with that? Actually, I think we've seen 1 teacher, everything else is arranged by the students apparently?
I know how Neru got in the school, but who is sponsoring him? As we've learned just now, certainly not his mother. Not that I need to see the bankaccount, but Neru doesn't answer to anyone. He literally didn't tell anyone he was trying out for this prestigious school.

I read back the first 2 chapter just now, what the hell happened to the art style? The first 2 chapters were full of life and good art. The recent chapters are mostly (wavy haired) people talking in white spaces.
The artist has a great sense of speed and impact though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Red Hood author losing their mind, and Elusive Samurai having a volcel samurai were really entertaining for different reasons.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

PPPPPP is weird and the art's not great, but I'm kind of enjoying it? I like how sincere it is. I also enjoy it examining from various angles the pain that being passionate about something can cause.

i agree with all the same points honestly, -and i'm glad i'm not the only one reading PPPPP.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

PPPPP is kind of weird to me, because it seems to be a music focused shonen manga, written by someone who doesn't really care about or understand music?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

UnderFreddy posted:

PPPPP is kind of weird to me, because it seems to be a music focused shonen manga, written by someone who doesn't really care about or understand music?

To be honest, I don't think it's really a music manga. Like, yeah, it's story revolves around music and music is a big element, but the story's not ABOUT music. The protagonist could be an aspiring painter, or manga artist, or carpenter, or just about any other creative endeavor - the story seems to be more about just generally being passionate about something, and how sometimes that passion can be painful if it's not handled carefully.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i enjoy reading 6P for the art, it's always nice to have something standing out like that in the magazine. good character designs and i enjoy the little bit of surreality to the performances, even when they're as simple as Lucky's. i'd like to see it get legs but am not attached yet, so :shrug:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The Red Hood author losing their mind, and Elusive Samurai having a volcel samurai were really entertaining for different reasons.

If my (unfounded, unsourced) suspicion is correct that Red Hood’s number-sinking training arc was an editorial mandate forced on them, it kind of makes sense they feel pissed over bring essentially set up to fail

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
PPPPPP kinda sucks IMO because I've read Piano no Mori which is basically 1000 times better

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

PPPPPP kinda sucks IMO because I've read Piano no Mori which is basically 1000 times better

That's unfair.

PPPPPP manages to suck well enough purely on its own merits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If my (unfounded, unsourced) suspicion is correct that Red Hood’s number-sinking training arc was an editorial mandate forced on them, it kind of makes sense they feel pissed over bring essentially set up to fail

The numbers were diving from the arc set in the village, so the training was probably an attempt to salvage things rather than the initial cause of the disaster.

That said, looking at the editor's track record, he definitely seems more a Miura than a Hattori, so I can see him having suggested the training arc, and it not having paid off.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

PPPPPP sucks because it wants to do a "hard work overcomes talent!" kind of story, except the protagonist had accepted his lot in life as a mediocre pianist and had to have his mom push him into it. Hell, he didn't even practice in secret or hone his skills before getting into music school. It wants to present the protagonist as an underdog by having them be in a Cinderella situation as well as being way below his classmates during lessons, but it kind of makes him look like a lazy jerk for not doing anything all this time. Then there's the whole hinting he's secretly super talented in the latest chapter, which just messes up the message even more.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i would be completely alright with P6 if it had any actual musical theory in it, but it seems to be implying that making good music is purely a matter of vibes. at least when i read a bad sports manga there's at least a chance i learn some rules of the sport they're playing

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Looks like the rumor was true, which means Neru is probably hosed next week

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1455788709014646784?s=20

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

One the one hand rip
OTOH we get to play the nrw manga roulette again

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

One the one hand rip
OTOH we get to play the nrw manga roulette again

I wonder what we're getting this time. :)

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i hope kawaguchi tries out the same end concept in a way again. Seemed quite interesting but it didnt work out with Red Hood obviously. Webcomic maybe? Light novel?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Looks like the rumor was true, which means Neru is probably hosed next week

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1455788709014646784?s=20

One less than Candy Flurry, hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sanda Chapter7