Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Wow that was a mouthful. I really liked VVitch. It subverted expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Because biblical texts imply other gods. You shall have no other gods before me.

The Bible outright states there are other gods, and quite a few of them too: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Deities_in_the_Hebrew_Bible

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Demons never seem grateful to the person who summons them. It's always just some snide comment and then they murder them. Why don't they put that part in the summoning books? "by the way, the demon is kind of a jerk and will probably kill you"

Part of it is that demons are compelled by the summoning. No one likes to be forced to do stuff.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

BiggerBoat posted:

My IIMM with Knives Out is wtf Daniel Craig was doing with that accent.
CSI:KFC, duh, it was even spelled out in the movie :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If you're summoning demons with no further research or precautions you deserve to be murdered by the demon(s).

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MariusLecter posted:

If you're summoning demons with no further research or precautions you deserve to be murdered by the demon(s).

I think that's the fair thing.

From Sandman to Heavy Metal, you take your chances.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

And while we're at it, who the gently caress would sell their soul to the devil? Like, cool, enjoy your billion dollars or sick fiddle skills for a couple of decades. Hope it was worth the eternity of neverending torture.

When life is neverending torture anyway and you don't see a reason to trust in a God who doesn't seem to have done anything for you? Is it really that hard to imagine that folk aren't good at thinking long-term?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
"Ah gently caress, we actually have souls?" - me, upon being offered an opportunity to sell my soul

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I liked how Locke and Key season 2 the Demon villain gets another Demon he tries to have as his henchwoman and she's basically "gently caress you I do what I want".

Like even though they both come from a dimension of pure chaos he's gonna try to pull some hierarchy nonsense on a fellow member of his species lol.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

And while we're at it, who the gently caress would sell their soul to the devil? Like, cool, enjoy your billion dollars or sick fiddle skills for a couple of decades. Hope it was worth the eternity of neverending torture.

Look at this idiot who doesn't want to live deliciously.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Panfilo posted:

I liked how Locke and Key season 2 the Demon villain gets another Demon he tries to have as his henchwoman and she's basically "gently caress you I do what I want".

Like even though they both come from a dimension of pure chaos he's gonna try to pull some hierarchy nonsense on a fellow member of his species lol.

I hated the ending of L&K season 1.

It was just ridiculous. I wish all the best of Stephen King's progeny. They're keeping up the tradition of awful adaptations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I hated the ending of L&K season 1.

It was just ridiculous. I wish all the best of Stephen King's progeny. They're keeping up the tradition of awful adaptations.

To be fair L&K ended on a wet fart to begin with

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think it is best to imagine most demons as felines. They will do what they want when they want and they might show you a little bit of affection if you really pleased them at that particular moment. Affection meaning they're not going to claw your face out, not necessarily snuggles.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think it is best to imagine most demons as felines. They will do what they want when they want and they might show you a little bit of affection if you really pleased them at that particular moment. Affection meaning they're not going to claw your face out, not necessarily snuggles.

I never watched Buffy, but I adore Angel.

Didn't watch the Supernatural.

I watched Lucifer for about one season. And the whole time I didn't realize it was a spinoff of Neil Gaiman's Sandman*

I enjoy the bored devils and the good witches because they are a reaction to the Catholic church literally burning and torturing people.

I love Sabrina and Motherland: Fort Salem just because

*I think the Sandman universe includes bored Lucifer but heck

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

christmas boots posted:

I kind of want him to have a different ridiculous accent each time

'ey dere, came 'ere in 'earin' 'bout dese murrders, some bad poo poo eh? But dere was tree things a noticed at de scene...

Anyway, his accent in Knives Out hit me like a baseball bat the second he opened his mouth, I absolutely did not expect it in the slightest.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I enjoy the bored devils and the good witches because they are a reaction to the Catholic church literally burning and torturing people.

Hey now

Catholics burned and tortured people for heresy.

Protestants burned and tortured people for witchcraft.

The Catholics also burned their share of witches but they burned them for heresy.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Saw remastered version of Blade in the cinema this weekend for Halloween. Shame they didn't take the part out where an ambulance LEFT the hospital, really took me out of the rest of the movie. Sat there completely flabbergasted for the rest of the film after that obvious blunder.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hey now

Catholics burned and tortured people for heresy.

The Catholics also burned their share of witches but they burned them for heresy.

Yeah. Sorry. Wait. Yeah.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why don't they put that part in the summoning books? "by the way, the demon is kind of a jerk and will probably kill you"

It's not like that would stop people from doing it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Might be cool if a property with demons in it had the demons constantly trying to one-up each other in evil. Like, just killing a dude doesn't cut it, any demon can kill a dude, you've got demonic powers after all. Getting a guy to screw himself over in a complex scheme where he's ultimately done in by his own hubris? That'll get you respect.

It always seems like such a letdown when a show summons literal Satan and he just wants to brawl over a macguffin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demon influencers doing demon pranks for demon youtube clout.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hell yeah.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

Gort posted:

Might be cool if a property with demons in it had the demons constantly trying to one-up each other in evil. Like, just killing a dude doesn't cut it, any demon can kill a dude, you've got demonic powers after all. Getting a guy to screw himself over in a complex scheme where he's ultimately done in by his own hubris? That'll get you respect.

It always seems like such a letdown when a show summons literal Satan and he just wants to brawl over a macguffin.

Strong vibe of Crowley inventing the M25 to create a steady constant stream of negative energy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FreudianSlippers posted:

I must protest!

In Britain, the Protestants hanged them, thank you very much.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ego-bot posted:

In Knives Out, I understand why Christopher Plummer didn't leave anything in his will for his family. Plus they're all awful people so you don't feel bad for them. It is pretty hosed up that he didn't leave anything for his senile mother. She seemed alright.

My irrational irritating movie moment with that movie is that the plot couldn't exist in my country. Your kids, or grandkids have a right to two thirds of your inheritance. You can decide if one of the kids inherit more than the others but you can't exclude them from your will.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ugh compulsory generational wealth transfer

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Does that mean you can leave one kid 99.9% of it and leave the others a shiny nickel and a boot to the head?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
This wouldn’t fix all the problems people have with David Lynch’s Dune, but it would have been massively improved if the Fremen wore cloaks over their stillsuits. They’re both ~lore accurate~ and practical, but more importantly, they look doofy without them, and they spend a lot of time in stillsuits.

Dune should be weird, and dudes tromping around the desert in thick rubbery suits that contrast against the sand technically accomplishes that, but also they shouldn’t do that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Both the Lynch DUNE and new DUNC needed more of the ominous piano, militaristic drums and orchestra that peak with the guitar riff and vocals in the Big Battle track by TOTO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj9UcKj7Dxo

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It kinda bugged me that they chose the single most brutal and heat retaining fabric color for the still suits, but yet when they show the fremen in armor, oh poo poo it's sand colored.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

Ugh compulsory generational wealth transfer

Put your hand in the box.

What you feel is the death tax

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't know if they ever get into explaining how stillsuits are manufactured, but it's possible that's the color or the only usable material they have for them.

edit my only real nitpicks with dunc were shadout not bloodening her knife (and no one commenting on this) and poor mask discipline among the firemen.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They're literally solar stills, they use the heat from the sun to distil the water in their sweat and piss

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Liet-Kynes, Imperial Ecologist posted:

Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know if they ever get into explaining how stillsuits are manufactured, but it's possible that's the color or the only usable material they have for them.

edit my only real nitpicks with dunc were shadout not bloodening her knife (and no one commenting on this) and poor mask discipline among the firemen.

it is interesting

I'd imagine that it's kind of a cottage industry type of sietchuation.

Old people just making each suit perfect.

I could watch anything Dune, the politics the socioeconomics. Who cuts their hair? What do they eat?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Why are the sandworms territorial? They seem like filter feeders that just sift through sand all day. What the hell do they need to fight over?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Panfilo posted:

Why are the sandworms territorial? They seem like filter feeders that just sift through sand all day. What the hell do they need to fight over?

They're also God.

Gods are notoriously territorial and quick to anger.

See:
The Old Testament.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Panfilo posted:

It is weird that in the books a sand rider uses hooks to pull plates off the worm's torso.

This can cause sand to get in to the soft flesh of a sand worm and irritate it. Which provides a steering mechanism.

Which just leads back to Mannequin Skywalker talking about sand and how he hates it.

Romance is not a thing in Dunc

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It kinda bugged me that they chose the single most brutal and heat retaining fabric color for the still suits, but yet when they show the fremen in armor, oh poo poo it's sand colored.

Black has better emissivity than white. White has better reflectivity. Given that the suits have to get rid of the body's heat, not just the sun's, black makes some sense. I mean, the stillsuits are a physical impossibility anyway but if you want to handwave a color for them black will do nicely.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'd imagine that it's kind of a cottage industry type of sietchuation.

I love those peppercorns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Phanatic posted:

Black has better emissivity than white. White has better reflectivity. Given that the suits have to get rid of the body's heat, not just the sun's, black makes some sense. I mean, the stillsuits are a physical impossibility anyway but if you want to handwave a color for them black will do nicely.

I love those peppercorns.

There's a cryptical line in Jurassic Park from Ian Malcolm. He wears a black shirt and gets called out on it and then explains it works in sunny weather.

It was never quite explained you have to catch it in the book or possibly the movie.

I sweat through black shirts but I'm just a sweaty fucker I guess.