Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McCracAttack posted:

It's funny that people think "x don't want to work" is some sort of insult. Obviously they don't want to work. I don't want to work either. That's why they have to pay me to do it. I'm guessing your dad isn't volunteering to hop behind the wheel for the good of the country.

Of course not, he retired 5 years ago and spends his days watching CNN and The Big Bang Theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

mycomancy posted:

We also have a lot of highly educated people on here with backgrounds in data and life sciences. Some of us even have our diplomas framed on a wall!

This is true too, and I don't mean to diminish that but if you want to be taken seriously you might want to consider pinning that diploma to your fridge instead.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Iron Crowned posted:

Of course not, he retired 5 years ago and spends his days watching CNN and The Big Bang Theory.

drat he hates life and also wants to die, like us

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

mycomancy posted:

We also have a lot of highly educated people on here with backgrounds in data and life sciences. Some of us even have our diplomas framed on a wall!

lots of doctors itt

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I am sitting on a work meeting with PT dry-needling needles jammed into my face because my TMJ pain is so bad I am seeing double, and the most blue MAGA faction of my team is talking about the one (UNVAXXED, ROGAN LISTENING) dude who just went to Disneyworld and someone else who is a Disney Person is expressing jealousy

biting my tongue so loving hard. Generally this company is awesome and has made it clear no one ever has to come back to the office if they don't want to, this place treats me like a human and makes significant allowances for my medical problems and general need for emotional support and validation. I don't want to start a shitstorm here but holy gently caress was that hard to listen to.

Schnorkles posted:

lots of doctors itt

Just a shlub computer toucher who gave up Doctorate dreams after getting my rear end kicked by CSE396 and realizing that CSE596 was the necessary gateway for all post-bachelors stuff, but I'm a pretty qualified Shaman and I can show my Shaman fridge decoration if you want.

If people ask me for shamanistic healing for COVID, I tell them that Pfizer and Moderna are much more powerful wizards with spellbooks I can only dream of.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 1, 2021

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

antivaxx secretary still out with covid, should be back Wednesday, but it's been two weeks.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Can anyone give me a twitter or document link for evidence that if you were vaxxed 6+ months ago, your resistance to becoming infected has waned significantly? I need it for convincing family, thank you

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

My wife used to think the fact that I spend so much time on SA was ridiculous until I started telling her about A-Z new stories before anyone else had reported on them and now sometimes she asks me "What's on SA about this?"

I thought it was called The Forums, did I miss a meeting?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Real Mean Queen posted:

“This smallpox vaccination mandates have gone too far.”

“Everyone is going to get leprosy. How do we move on from here?”

“Polio is endemic, and this doctor says it doesn’t effect children.”

Polio only has a really low chance of impacting kids' nervous system, and most cases are mild or asymptomatic.

I'm shocked we wasted the resources eradicating it in the US.

quote:

Polio is a viral illness that, in about 95% of cases, actually produces no symptoms at all (called asymptomatic polio). In the 4% to 8% of cases in which there are symptoms (called symptomatic polio), the illness appears in three forms:

• a mild form called abortive polio (most people with this type may not even suspect they have it because their sickness is limited to mild flu-like symptoms such as mild upper respiratory infection, diarrhea, fever, sore throat, and a general feeling of being ill)

• a more serious form associated with aseptic meningitis called nonparalytic polio (1%-5% show neurological symptoms such as sensitivity to light and neck stiffness)

• a severe, debilitating form called paralytic polio (this occurs in 0.1%-2% of cases)

https://www.rchsd.org/health-articles/polio/

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Opulent Ceremony posted:

Can anyone give me a twitter or document link for evidence that if you were vaxxed 6+ months ago, your resistance to becoming infected has waned significantly? I need it for convincing family, thank you

Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness drops after 6 months, study shows

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

xposting from date thread lol

actionjackson posted:

her profile is all pics of doing group activities where no one is masked lol

also another poster right above me said they went to brunch for a date

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Opulent Ceremony posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976692&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1797#post518876555

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1455167852613406739?t=UaOUpeQ7xeSsxZ6NonzdUg&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

lots of doctors itt

reporting for doctor duty.

i hope those cops get their sick time

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

well I can understand their position since covid has a strong correlation with obesity so it probably won't impact truckers much.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

it's okay, the braintrusts of twitter have already solved this problem

https://twitter.com/StarsMystery/status/1455185213030481923?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

all those people lining up to be truckers and held back by government red tape !

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You can drive a car can't you? Driving a truck is just like that!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Iron Crowned posted:

You can drive a car can't you? Driving a truck is just like that!

[nurse on first day of school, putting needle into a living creature for first time in life] congrats you are now a doctor, here's your diploma.. unrelated question, do you know what proning is?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

the hollow joy a consumerist modern society provides killed the planet, and covid seemed like a wake up call for people to maybe assess what was really important about life, but instead, everyone quickly clawed their way back to corporate dining and attractions without looking back. such a waste.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

C-SPAM has destroyed my ability to have political related conversations. Not because I can’t be more tactful in real life or anything, I am perfectly capable of that. But by the time anything pops up on the radar of someone that gets their news through normal channels it’s three months old and already been thoroughly discussed and accepted or rejected and all I can do is smile and go ‘Yeah’ and pretend I hold no opinion on the subject when they mention in November a topic I made a hundred shitposts about in July.
yeah this has been how i've handled all meatspace interactions as well
it's exhausting and i'm done with it
the only time i bother putting effort into it is when it's something easily avoidable or a "told you so" moment but even then those are far/few between

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Louisgod posted:

[nurse on first day of school, putting needle into a living creature for first time in life] congrats you are now a doctor, here's your diploma.. unrelated question, do you know what proning is?

Hang that diploma on your fridge and you become a doctor.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

mycomancy posted:

some people here have them on their fridge! :laugh:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

actionjackson posted:

xposting from date thread lol

also another poster right above me said they went to brunch for a date

I haven't been living in fear by a long shot but I've been following the actual science to the best of my ability, limiting contact, getting vaxxed and using n95s in public so I think this woman would not like me.

If I was dating now, it would be "people who have been and are living in stupidity, in perpetuity, all hail Lord Moderna, Allah Akbar"

that would weed out a lotta ppl

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

like right now this morning several cubicle neighbors have been going on and on about potentially getting their boosters or when/if they're eligible, is it ethical, safe, etc
just lmao Johan Liebert over here just cackling internally

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Truckers cried when they instituted electronic monitoring so they couldn't just lie on their books and drive 48 hours while on speed, and when they mandated cpaps 4 fatties, they'll get over this , too.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

It's funny that people think "x don't want to work" is some sort of insult. Obviously they don't want to work. I don't want to work either. That's why they have to pay me to do it. I'm guessing your dad isn't volunteering to hop behind the wheel for the good of the country.

The Little Caesar’s and Subway shops in the town near me now open only from 3pm-9pm and I’m guessing it’s because no one wants to work there

This is of course because people are too lazy and I’m sure that’ll be the line spoken by people who are pissed they can’t get their pizza or Eat Fresh(tm)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Rynn posted:

The Little Caesar’s and Subway shops in the town near me now open only from 3pm-9pm and I’m guessing it’s because no one wants to work there

This is of course because people are too lazy and I’m sure that’ll be the line spoken by people who are pissed they can’t get their pizza or Eat Fresh(tm)

Same; but Five Guys, Jersey Mikes, and Chipotle. FYI: Little Caesers is the Applebees of Pizza takeout. Also, just spent $8 on a container of strawberries that cost like $5 last year.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

i wonder if the feds planned on the vaccines being a culture war , and that they could completely abrogate their duty to deal with covid by just pretending holdout antivaxxers were the real problem and keeping everything focused on them while transmission runs rampant

Don't think so. I guess you'd have to start with the Chamber of Commerce propaganda that Covid is no big deal and the best way to prevent getting covid is to have everyone get covid. Because if that wasn't the way of things their right to do whatever the gently caress they want with their investment/employees/everyone else would be in question and we can't have that. Anyway that pumped the pro-covid grift full of money, TV appearances and op-eds, but then the Biden regime refused to do anything at all. No masks, no lockdown, no nothing. So what does that leave for an entrepreneurial right-wing grifter? You're basically forced to take a position so dumb and destructive that even the Dems can't meet you four fives of the way there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Polio only has a really low chance of impacting kids' nervous system, and most cases are mild or asymptomatic.

I'm shocked we wasted the resources eradicating it in the US.

https://www.rchsd.org/health-articles/polio/

30% of polio cases ended up with post polio syndrome, effectively long covid

Most of the iron lung people didn't have issues until years if not decades later

Eradicating disease has pretty much bankrupted the pension system

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What is the evolutionary pressure for a virus to mutate to something more lethal? I understand it sorta happens I just don't understand the math involved?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pillowpants posted:

Same; but Five Guys, Jersey Mikes, and Chipotle. FYI: Little Caesers is the Applebees of Pizza takeout.

Yeah, I observed that before the pandemic a lot of the service and other low wage workers (grocery store for example) were of retirement age. I'm pretty sure that accounts for a lot of workforce displacement, they just died or retired, because who the gently caress wants to scrap with a Karen who didn't get her $1 burrito.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

cr0y posted:

What is the evolutionary pressure for a virus to mutate to something more lethal? I understand it sorta happens I just don't understand the math involved?

factors that make it more transmissible (like delta have increased replication) can be more lethal to the host.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Rynn posted:

"If you don't like working for minimum wage then go get a real job! Wait... no not like that."

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I observed that before the pandemic a lot of the service and other low wage workers (grocery store for example) were of retirement age. I'm pretty sure that accounts for a lot of workforce displacement, they just died or retired, because who the gently caress wants to scrap with a Karen who didn't get her $1 burrito.

We had enough high wage/high skill union guys retire that 24 people in a small union were able to move into max seniority at a time when we expected no one to move up

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
How am I not hearing about thousands of lawsuits over workplace exposure to Covid? We spent decades talking about that McDonald's coffee lawsuit. No one is willing or able to sue their employer for putting them in the hospital with this virus? What the hell is going on?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Rauros posted:

factors that make it more transmissible (like delta have increased replication) can be more lethal to the host.

Ahh ok that makes sense.

We need a loving sterizling vaccine, the MRNA ones were an awesome 1.0 but I am hoping those intranasal ones show better numbers

Serf
May 5, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

How am I not hearing about thousands of lawsuits over workplace exposure to Covid? We spent decades talking about that McDonald's coffee lawsuit. No one is willing or able to sue their employer for putting them in the hospital with this virus? What the hell is going on?

they made that illegal

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

euphronius posted:

all those people lining up to be truckers and held back by government red tape !

Something something no more caravans :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

cr0y posted:

some mutations make the virus better both at infecting people and killing them