Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just got an email from one of the high up major district managers, letting us know that everyone who works 40 hours or more a week after Thanksgiving through December 20th, will get an extra $50 peak bonus a week.

Wow. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Just got an email from one of the high up major district managers, letting us know that everyone who works 40 hours or more a week after Thanksgiving through December 20th, will get an extra $50 peak bonus a week.

Wow. Thanks.
When I worked retail if I hit over 38hours I'd go into like double time and a half. $50 is insulting and offering nothing would be less of a rep hit.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I mean that is on top of overtime pay but after the past year it just feels like spit.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
Is the labor shortage bullshit? For all the hubbub, none of these retailers seems particularly bothered by it what with the record sales and afterthoughts as incentives.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's as real as any store you see with a "can't open employee lazy/greedy" sign posted online.

They never admit it until their staffing is so bad they literally can't open and to get to that point they have to run out of people who can be guilted or bullied into working extra.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Oolb posted:

Is the labor shortage bullshit? For all the hubbub, none of these retailers seems particularly bothered by it what with the record sales and afterthoughts as incentives.

It's not bullshit insomuch as the retail sector is, in fact, grotesquely understaffed.

It is bullshit insomuch as executive management, while pretending otherwise, in fact quite like it this way. They're raking in record profits and the public accepts their explanation for terrible-to-nonexistent service of "so sorry, LABOR SHORTAGE, if only these damned lazy kids today were willing to work!!"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they could get actually stuffing very quickly if they paid real wages.

I think companies are hoping people will cave for lower wages and “come back” once stimulus money dries out (which it mostly has).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Duckman2008 posted:

I think companies are hoping people will cave for lower wages and “come back” once stimulus money dries out (which it mostly has).

I think those hopes are going to be for naught. People everywhere seem to be considerably more conscious, aware and fed up when it comes to employer bullshit.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

One of my company's biggest priorities is signing people up on our dumb rewards card. It's always been a slog because they keyed accounts to email which instantly makes our massive old folk demographic ineligible. About 3 months ago they did a big "study" on the program and determined a few things. The biggest obstacle was clearly "Email required", their fix? We'll look at that in 2022. The other obstacle was "I don't get anything right now" so they introduced a $5 off coupon for new signups. And that poo poo worked, instantly we were signing up 10+ more people per day.

Naturally the big galaxy-brain MBAs at corporate decided to end the coupon program for 4th quarter. Already the numbers are flatlining and the DMs are losing their poo poo.

This is all on top of most stores in the chain hanging onto the cliff edge above death spiral territory by their fingernails. We've barely got enough staff to maintain store operations, let alone handle all the other idiotic make-work that they throw at us. Another store in town that my girlfriend works at is well into the death spiral, sometimes operating with only a manager to run cashier. They're drowning in customer complaints because of course you can't handle the usual "Can you get that down from the top shelf" when you're chained to the front end, let alone run the furniture department. As soon as they get someone hired on they lose someone else from burnout. I'm fairly certain the store manager is covering all of this up to not look bad to the DM, they're scheduling hours to employees who don't even work there so their schedule looks normal.

The other managers there are also playing office cliques and running out anyone they don't like, while enforcing the most piddly overlooked policy things while ignoring larger issues. Girlfriend is already planning her exit, I'm trying to convince her to drop a tip to the DM on her way out the door.

I'm trying to get myself into the mental headspace to just watch the chaos and chuckle.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

This is exactly it. It’s called a capital strike.

Even places with “now hiring sweet Jesus help us our employees are lazy and hate America” signs are not actually hiring. The signs are performative, to convince The Olds™ that it’s not the business paying starvation wages that’s the problem, it’s those drat youths and their wasteful spending on food and shelter.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sonic Dude posted:

This is exactly it. It’s called a capital strike.

Even places with “now hiring sweet Jesus help us our employees are lazy and hate America” signs are not actually hiring. The signs are performative, to convince The Olds™ that it’s not the business paying starvation wages that’s the problem, it’s those drat youths and their wasteful spending on food and shelter.

Shame it's those very same workers they're throwing under the bus that they need to attract to fix this mess. :v:

During an overtime shift on Friday someone laid it out to me how much the capital class despises giving money to workers that blew my mind. Dude was a welder (i.e. skilled trade) with 17 years of experience, passed every single test and had all of his qualifications in order. HR loved him because he was all ready to go, saved them so much paperwork and effort and hired him on at $15/hour in 2016.

Management blew their stacks screaming "Why are we hiring this guy at $15/hour? We don't pay anyone that! ANYONE!"

Now he makes $17/hour at the local Amazon with no responsibilities besides "Put the item in the box" and "don't be an rear end" with no managers screaming about how they're paying him too much so he better work extra unpaid time and/or finish the job super fast to make up the money they lost.

There's an entire culture of denying workers proper compensation that has to be humiliated, shamed, shunned and broken before corporate/management will grudgingly admit they were in the wrong.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I bowed out of working in manufacturing at the beginning of the pandemic, and managed to find ways to scrape by until I eventually picked up a job at a warehouse in the next town over, which isn't drug testing anymore. My first night on the job, the beginning of shift announcements started with "everyone is getting a $1.75 raise, we've gotten a lot of raises over the last several months and I don't know if I'd expect it to continue but I'm really glad to be able to tell y'all this today."

The difference between working in retail over a decade ago, and working at a distribution center for a major retailer is wild. It's like this company has tried everything else and fallen back on "well the warehouse workers actually need to be in reasonable physical condition and also have a reason to come to work."

e: I'm making $.75/hr less than I had been two years ago, with five years of experience as a CNC machinist including programming at least a hundred different parts starting from just a blueprint, and I've worked there for one weekend.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 2, 2021

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Love to get in for my 9 am (to 4) shift only to check on the computer and find out it's now a goddamn 10 am to 6 pm shift. (Turned into a 9-5 shift.) (Also it's literally the 3rd of the month and we have no payroll?)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Our mail carrier somehow lost our tags for today’s new ad and we won’t get them until sometime later this morning. This has never happened before. I’m supposed to be hanging them up overnight but the people during the day get to worry about it now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Day shift only had one worker who could drive the TOM tractor that moved trailers around show up. Shift change was an utter clusterfuck due to trucks lining up to the parking lot's exit, blocking people from getting in the main entrance. I was super glad I decided to walk to work.

Night shift also only had on trailer tractor driver come in. They did manage to get ahead but there was still a line of semi trucks around the building. Only there's about 2 hours between when Nights leaves and Days shows up for more trucks to arrive. Was foggy as hell: I was super glad I wear a Hi-Vis vest at work as I walked back.

For reference/reminder: when I'm talking about trucks backed up, I work at an Amazon FC so that's a lot of truck traffic.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 9, 2021

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Today I got pulled aside by my department supervisor, my store's General Manager, and the District Manager.

To make a long story short, thanks to hilarious short staffing and turnover, I'm being transferred to a store 30min* away and promoted to department supervisor.

May the gods help my soul.

*depending on exact route and traffic, can go to 60min

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 10, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Admiralackbar.jpg

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Jesus christ we just got a pallet that has on it what I can only guess is a bunch of minced garlic and the smell was loving powerful and now I feel nauseous.

Kilonum posted:

Today I got pulled aside by my department supervisor, my store's General Manager, and the District Manager.

To make a long story short, thanks to hilarious short staffing and turnover, I'm being transferred to a store 30min* away and promoted to department supervisor.

can they do this without your consent?

e: I mean the promoting part btw

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 10, 2021

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
I swear to God, if make it out alive, I will never shop at a store again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Kilonum posted:

Oh no, if it's a salaried position: run far away. Those are never to the employee's benefit, always to the employer's benefit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh no, if it's a salaried position: run far away. Those are never to the employee's benefit, always to the employer's benefit.

Basically. Hourly they treat you like poo poo but you actually have protections.

Salary they still treat you like poo poo and then insist they own your time because you're paid a flat rate. Unless you're working for your dad you're guaranteed to earn less per hour worked than you did when you worked hourly. Maybe less period depending on overtime.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Basically. Hourly they treat you like poo poo but you actually have protections.

Salary they still treat you like poo poo and then insist they own your time because you're paid a flat rate. Unless you're working for your dad you're guaranteed to earn less per hour worked than you did when you worked hourly. Maybe less period depending on overtime.

Unless you're like my first boss, who would literally walk out the door as soon as his 8 hours were up, regardless of how insane the store was or if he left anyone alone in the place. Of course he was trading things in the store for personal favors, like the dude who ran a barber shop nearby, and he would get free copies and paper in exchange for free haircuts. I'm still amazed it took over a year for them to fire him for this despite the anonymous tips being sent out.

I still remember the week after he left was one of the best times in that store, because all of his partners would show up wanting to trade things and were told unceremoniously that he had been fired, and here was the actual total they'd have to pay now. The absolute best was a new guy who brought in a binder with about 20 or 30 CDs in it; each CD has something like 50 file folders and each folder had about 50 to 100 images. The dude wanted everything combined in certain orders because this was going to be his new tattoo book, for customers to select tattoos from. And of course the manager had promised him this work for free in exchange for a tattoo.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

It is hourly (everyone at the store level is except the GM) and a 10% raise. I've actually been wanting this promotion for a while now but was hoping it wouldn't be so sudden. The plan is I take it on a temporary basis through the end of the year and if I fail I just go back to my current position with my current supervisor training me up more for the next time this opportunity comes around.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Kilonum posted:

It is hourly (everyone at the store level is except the GM) and a 10% raise. I've actually been wanting this promotion for a while now but was hoping it wouldn't be so sudden. The plan is I take it on a temporary basis through the end of the year and if I fail I just go back to my current position with my current supervisor training me up more for the next time this opportunity comes around.

Okay, then it's actually a good score and you may, theoretically, be working somewhere that isn't intentionally abusive.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

and you may, theoretically, be working somewhere that isn't intentionally abusive.

Wait I thought this was still a retail job

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1458422032136294402?s=21

:catstare:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

No one's that happy at Amazon unless they've been here for at least a year (usually 2-3) and are utterly broken on the inside. It also helps if they've found a niche they're actually good at/enjoy.

Holy poo poo jackass, wrap the bottom of that pallet!

Career Choice will only really help you if you're interested in a career or in training for a job that Amazon thinks is important. Note: if you want to get into A/C repair or getting a CDL then they've got your back every step of the way.

If you want to drive the forklift Amazon takes that as sign one they shouldn't train you to drive the forklift.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Does Amazon do the thing that many/most warehouse operations do where there are Safety Rules regarding how fast you're allowed to drive the forklift and you only have two options:

(1) stay within the Safety Rules and get fired for not moving enough pallets per day, or

(2) ignore the Safety Rules for the sake of making your rate, but if you ever slip up and cause injury/significant property damage you get fired for ignoring the Safety Rules.

i.e. the minimum rate required of a forklift operator is literally impossible to achieve within the speed limits set by the Safety Rules.

Because this has been the case in every warehouse I or anyone I know has ever worked in.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 11, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Absolutely!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Something something about machines and Amazon couldn't drop parcels at any post office in the Pittsburgh metro for Wednesday delivery. Thursday is going to loving suck.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does Amazon do the thing that many/most warehouse operations do where there are Safety Rules regarding how fast you're allowed to drive the forklift and you only have two options:

When I worked at Wal-Mart, at one point one aspect of my role was training and certifying people in the use of the powered lifting equipment. We weren't a warehouse (but rather a Supercenter), so we were judged by metrics mostly relating to sales, but I found that stores had two philosophies on operating heavy machinery:

1) Train and certify absolutely nobody, even though the reality of the job required several people to know how to operate the equipment. That way, if someone hosed up, you could claim that they shouldn't have been using the equipment in the first place!

2) Train and certify absolutely everybody. That way, if someone hosed up, you could claim that they were improperly or insufficiently trained!

I don't know which perspective I preferred.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Star Man posted:

Something something about machines and Amazon couldn't drop parcels at any post office in the Pittsburgh metro for Wednesday delivery. Thursday is going to loving suck.

Central Texas so my building's issues weren't yours but we were in full Peak mode last night.

As in Shipdock and the package sorter machinery might as well be on fire and the entire building is lurching along, barely working. :v:

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
My building's in the Pittsburgh area but our outbound department didn't catch fire (as far as I noticed), so it might not be our fault. They did labor share a bit more than usual to Inbound but not "our department's equipment is literally not functioning" numbers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Toraen posted:

My building's in the Pittsburgh area but our outbound department didn't catch fire (as far as I noticed), so it might not be our fault. They did labor share a bit more than usual to Inbound but not "our department's equipment is literally not functioning" numbers.

The Flats sorter for our building was down for at least 4 hours last night as my building tried to truck on.

We were actually shut down for a sev for less than 1 hour because they'd get it back running at least for a half hour or so.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I've been losing my mind about people bringing in their not-service dogs into the store. here in CA if your dog bites someone and that someone has to go to the hospital for stitches or something, then the doctors have to report it to the state. if it happens twice, the state will put the dog down. it's like, are you really going to gamble with your dog's life like that? it's an outside chance but I just don't get it. people come in and their dog's are barking and trying to eat stuff and clearly not trained to be in a supermarket. some lady's dog already took a monster poo poo one time and just ugh

loving stupid.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are you sure its a non service dog? Did you ask? Remember its discrimination if you ask for proof that its a service dog!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

if someone's dog takes a poo poo in the store again I will discreetly throw that turd right at their loving car window

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Here's how you know whether it's an actual service dog: an actual service dog will never bark at nothing, go bounding up to any rando it sees, or relieve itself at random. Service dogs are very well trained.

I think it's awesome that dogs can be so much help for people with mental health challenges. But let's not mince words here, "Emotional Support Animal" is a nine syllable synonym for "Pet." It is not a Service Animal, and you are doing a disservice to people who actually need Service Animals when you pretend it is. If bringing your dog into a store with you is a deal breaker then ask up front whether ESAs are allowed and don't do business with stores that don't allow them. Don't lie and pretend your dog is a service animal. If you do that then you are an rear end in a top hat.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 11, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My boss "asked" me to train a new driver next week. I told her I didn't feel safe driving for 9 hours with someone, and she said masks were enforced, but we ain't social distancing anymore.

She's anti-vaxx to boot.