Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't in the group I'm just shitposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Robo Reagan posted:

I wasn't in the group I'm just shitposting

Well, it was such a shockingly accurate shitpost you sure fooled me

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Whomever missed my oh so witty "do you have stairs in your castle..." gag this morning should be ashamed to call themselves goons.

t:mad:

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
What goes up is such a fun quest. The music and pacing of it make it one of my favorites in the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

yeah lorem was carrying me but ran out of spell points and forgot the final boss removes all the rest shrines, so i died several dozen times to the point my primary weapon and half my armor broke

There’s a glitched spot by the gate that makes you invulnerable if you ever need a minute to just chill and recover.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
About to TR and can't pick between bladeforged paladin or teifling scoundrel bard. I feel like I could have an easier time doing more elites and R1s on the paladin, but I also want 2 more scoundrel lives to free up a gear slot

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Burt posted:

Whomever missed my oh so witty "do you have stairs in your castle..." gag this morning should be ashamed to call themselves goons.

t:mad:

Also could I get an invite for "Ikklebear" please.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ort posted:

There’s a glitched spot by the gate that makes you invulnerable if you ever need a minute to just chill and recover.

yeah that's the only reason we didn't wipe, i'm still squishy enough that if i'm getting attacked by more than one mob and not hammering blood tribute on cooldown it's not looking good

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

About to TR and can't pick between bladeforged paladin or teifling scoundrel bard. I feel like I could have an easier time doing more elites and R1s on the paladin, but I also want 2 more scoundrel lives to free up a gear slot

I'm TRing into scoundrel after U51 drops on Wed. Bard is going to be broken strong in epics.

e: Sent Ikklebear an invite in the mail

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 30, 2021

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

The night revels quests are actually fun and cheeky so if you never check them out you should before they go away for another year.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My last life was a spellslinger bard and absolutely ripped through everything so I think I'll grind out the other two lives for that while the getting is good

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

My last life was a spellslinger bard and absolutely ripped through everything so I think I'll grind out the other two lives for that while the getting is good

New fatesinger has a node that literally doubles the damage of your bard spells. Its insane.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

im actually trying to figure what i want my next life to be; definitely human, not something like a quarterstaff rogue or a cleric (since i'm doing that next) and i'm probably gonna get my +2 in wisdom in prep for the cleric so something that likes wisdom but doesn't need it. thinking ranger, paladin, or monk

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

im actually trying to figure what i want my next life to be; definitely human, not something like a quarterstaff rogue or a cleric (since i'm doing that next) and i'm probably gonna get my +2 in wisdom in prep for the cleric so something that likes wisdom but doesn't need it. thinking ranger, paladin, or monk

Yea, I agree that a wisdom-based class will help you gear for cleric. Do you have the Falconry tree? If so, Q-staff wis-monk will work well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Don't have falconry unfortunately (or any other enhancements other than vistani and harper), and not sure I wanna run two quarterstaff builds back to back. Monk archer sounds kinda fun but it seems like everyone's an elf for that

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Don't have falconry unfortunately (or any other enhancements other than vistani and harper), and not sure I wanna run two quarterstaff builds back to back. Monk archer sounds kinda fun but it seems like everyone's an elf for that

I'll save you some time: Don't play a monk archer. It's real bad. Staff is really the only monk you are going to have fun with IMO.

Bear druid or caster favored soul are good wisdom-adjacent options.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
New cloak!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That cloak looks too high def to be in this game

Finally getting in to R1s and it's pretty satisfying Color Spraying the ghost guys and blasting them apart with sound. Had a much rougher time on my Arti. Cone attacks feel just right in this game for all the twisting hallways opening up in to confined rooms. I wish Lost Souls dropped sub reapers because they'd be super handy the first few lives before I had gear.

StashAugustine posted:

Pure wisdom arcane archer is also fun but I think you need falconry for that, too. Caster druid is incredible in heroics.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are REHN runs still important or should I be spreading out and doing more single completions?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
So i'm really excited for the update this week, but a lot of the posters on the official forums are very angry and its very funny. Here are some good quotes:

quote:

If you are a FTP player, you have no rights to make, say, and/or suggest anything seriously. I would hate to think that the thousands I spent/spend mean less to SSG than that of someone that enjoys something I paid for. If you enjoy the game give credit to those that keep the lights on

quote:

I am wondering if I should even continue playing at all. Between the dwindling player base and the ABUNDANT nerfs to the time and money I invested I fail to see the rewards for continuing. Today I discontinued my VIP. Something I have not done for years. I am trying to enjoy the game but with the many nerfs to my characters coupled with the fact MOST (well over half) of players are telling you this system is horrible. I can't with a clear conscience pay for a game I can't enjoy anymore.

quote:

The devs have admitted that Saltmarsh was there most successful, highest selling expansion.

They just made scads of oodles of money, yet they are pushing forward with this awful badly thought out revamp of half the game. Why? Greed, pure unadulterated greed.

quote:

Because of remake NEW PLAYERS not going to start playing a game, and they are probably going to lose a bunch of older players.

I for once have turned off my VIP status. There is no way to make current developers understand anything. And management of the company will only react when they start losing money.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Are REHN runs still important or should I be spreading out and doing more single completions?
REHN is not a thing anymore since the introduction of the bravery bonus. Run on reaper or elite to collect full xp bonus (and faction!). There is a level limit I think to collect whole xp bonus (quest lvl +2?)- this doesn’t impact faction.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

So i'm really excited for the update this week, but a lot of the posters on the official forums are very angry and its very funny. Here are some good quotes:

The difference between a new player and a player that is completionist is something like 150 past lives (racial, iconic, class, epic). Huge time sink. With this update how I read it (I have never done epic) they are doing away with a convoluted system of epic leveling and introducing a system that is similar to enhancements (meaning any class can take any epic destiny combination up to 3).

As a new player this is great because you will not get to level 20 and “figure out” that the epic destiny you want to play is gated behind leveling some other class you have no interest in (assuming this is actually how this works). Historically you had you do something to work your way across the “web” of epic destinies if your class didn’t give you the epic destiny you wanted to play.

Assuming the can fix the lag and further consolidate servers (max pop on servers typically around 500) you might see more people looking to play more from scratch.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

milkman dad posted:

REHN is not a thing anymore since the introduction of the bravery bonus. Run on reaper or elite to collect full xp bonus (and faction!). There is a level limit I think to collect whole xp bonus (quest lvl +2?)- this doesn’t impact faction.

Basically, running the quest at the same level as the "elite" level of the quest gives the bravery bonus so ya +2. +3 you get half of the bonus so still not a bad option.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

milkman dad posted:

convoluted system of epic leveling

Honestly, it wasn't even complicated. The old system was just a super boring one where you would spend almost all your points on stats and then take like the same 4 OP abilities on every character. It also punished new players for seemingly no good reason. Glad its going away.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey so I'm probably gonna do a bear druid for my second life, human to get the racial past life. I was considering something along these lines, with a bit of spellcasting thrown in, but that doesn't have enhancements listed. Strimtom's build guide in the OP has a multiclass druid that looks interesting, but it uses a razorclaw shifter- I'm not sure if that's needed, and if not what should I do with the 2-4 extra skill points

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Hey so I'm probably gonna do a bear druid for my second life, human to get the racial past life. I was considering something along these lines, with a bit of spellcasting thrown in, but that doesn't have enhancements listed. Strimtom's build guide in the OP has a multiclass druid that looks interesting, but it uses a razorclaw shifter- I'm not sure if that's needed, and if not what should I do with the 2-4 extra skill points

Could consider this build that throws in barb and artificer for blood tribute and trapping:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/514783-Mary-had-a-Little-Bear-A-2H-Natural-Fighting-Casting-Trapping-Druid-Build

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

milkman dad posted:

Could consider this build that throws in barb and artificer for blood tribute and trapping:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/514783-Mary-had-a-Little-Bear-A-2H-Natural-Fighting-Casting-Trapping-Druid-Build

Yeah that looks cool but I don't have artificer unfortunately

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a gnome pure druid build that looks good, not sure how good of a caster it'll be though. Obviously it's not human but you could substitute the gnome stuff with human

Build two on this page

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/516052-Strimtom-s-Hardcore-Ready-Character-builds-Season-3

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cool thanks, it looks like gnome is for blur and a shield SLA, and I think I might be able to fake the latter with UMD from human skill points? In any case it at least gives me enhancements too look at.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Cool thanks, it looks like gnome is for blur and a shield SLA, and I think I might be able to fake the latter with UMD from human skill points? In any case it at least gives me enhancements too look at.

Just a friendly remined that when you do past lives, for regular racial like human you do not get a class past life at the same time, this is only for Iconic past lives.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

You can but you will need gear otherwise you won't get enough UMD until fairly late in heroics. Also, keep in mind this is a hardcore build so you can prob get away without shield and just die sometimes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

You can but you will need gear otherwise you won't get enough UMD until fairly late in heroics. Also, keep in mind this is a hardcore build so you can prob get away without shield and just die sometimes.

Okay yeah the followup was gonna be falchion vs khopesh and shield, but i'll proably just go 2h and see how it goes. Guess I'll also have to put together the new destinies once they're out.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

StashAugustine posted:

I'm running that Gernome shield bear and so far it's fun and you kill stuff fast and I don't die. I have no idea how to play this game or about lives etc so killing stuff and not dying is my best recommendation.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, the game gets great once you're over the banking at 18 hump. Slot my purple rain epic attack and go to town on Elites three levels higher than me. I don't even have much level 20 gear so I do it in my questing stuff from 15

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Man, the game gets great once you're over the banking at 18 hump. Slot my purple rain epic attack and go to town on Elites three levels higher than me. I don't even have much level 20 gear so I do it in my questing stuff from 15

Yea, I basically am still using level 15 gear in epics usually too unless its DC related gear. Borderlands (21) gear does a really good job filling gaps though.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Annnd this convo made me need to check something I read once and turns out I was stacking gear like this was another MMO thinking it'd give me tons of Charisma. Had to shuffle through my bank for 45 minutes to get some gear that isn't immediately cancelled out. On the bright side I've doubled my health and armor.

If it were any other game I'd be pretty pissed but so much gear has so many cool effects that I don't mind the shuffle

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 2, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah epics have been going a lot smoother for me this life than the first time I tried, and I have this nagging feeling that I tried playing arcane archer while forgetting to swap out my elemental arrows ability so I was using the un-upgraded version the whole time. I'm still pretty squishy as a rogue but I can at least hammer on blood tribute and the damage is respectable considering I'm using kinda mediocre gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Annnd this convo made me need to check something I read once and turns out I was stacking gear like this was another MMO thinking it'd give me tons of Charisma. Had to shuffle through my bank for 45 minutes to get some gear that isn't immediately cancelled out. On the bright side I've doubled my health and armor.

If it were any other game I'd be pretty pissed but so much gear has so many cool effects that I don't mind the shuffle

Oh, I supposed I should add something about how stats work to the OP since its so different. Man theres just so many things. Heres the basics:

Stats with the same TYPE of bonus don't stack. It just takes the highest number. Example:

+4 enhancement bonus to strength bracers
+3 enhancement bonus to strength belt

= +4 total strength (belt is ignored)

Stats with different bonus types DO stack. Example:

+4 enhancement bonus to strength bracers
+2 profrane bonus to strength necklace
+1 quality bonus to strength

= +7 total strength

Generally stats from enhancement trees (and most untyped things) DO stack. Filigrees, reaper, and mythic bonuses all stack with everything else and themselves.

For planning purposes:

I will be level 15 on wed night. I should be in epics by the end of the night. Feel free to join up if you happen to be in that level range!