Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

"Kurare i cant have this turn into a nuclear wasteland in my hopeful science comic and i dont have time/want to science our way out of this i need SOMETHING"
"well, with some dilution...."
"COOL PRINTING LETS MOVE ON"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

wouldn't most/all nuclear powerplants have some sort of shut down so rather than going critical and exploding everything would mostly stay contained? The bigger issue is all the nuke subs leaking into the ocean
Depending on the grade of nuclear material there are sites that would straight up still be very dangerous 3000 years later. Also you'd have to have been pretty lucky for at least one of the remaining boiling water reactors to have not had a catastrophic failure instead of an automated shutdown at some point with no humans around. Also don't think too hard about the sarcophagus over Chernobyl absolutely having collapsed at this point.

Also RIP to all the statues that were anywhere near the Yellowstone caldera apparently.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 31, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Direct link to the chapter: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010484

Oh man the Great Lakes got filled in.

I have no clue how Chrome and Suika are going to pull this off. Will they petrify everyone, build the rocket, then unpetrify?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fabricated posted:

Depending on the grade of nuclear material there are sites that would straight up still be very dangerous 3000 years later. Also you'd have to have been pretty lucky for at least one of the remaining boiling water reactors to have not had a catastrophic failure instead of an automated shutdown at some point with no humans around. Also don't think too hard about the sarcophagus over Chernobyl absolutely having collapsed at this point.

for sure but it does seem like something that can genuinely just be glossed over considering the yellowstone caldera exploding was lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

for sure but it does seem like something that can genuinely just be glossed over considering the yellowstone caldera exploding was lol
lol yeah that's literally like an entire loving state exploding treated like "oh well!"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

lol yeah that's literally like an entire loving state exploding treated like "oh well!"

The combined population of Montana, Wyoming, and Utah is like 4 million people.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SKULL.GIF posted:

The combined population of Montana, Wyoming, and Utah is like 4 million people.

The issue is less "the people in the midwest are absolutely dead" so much as that the Yellowstone Caldera exploding would be an insanely world-changing event with hugely far reaching implications, so if they're glossing over that, glossing over the nuclear power plants is just par for the course.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To be fair millions of statues were likely destroyed over time from earthquakes, landslides, ect. and the manga glosses over that too.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RatHat posted:

To be fair millions of statues were likely destroyed over time from earthquakes, landslides, ect. and the manga glosses over that too.

remember when they first got to, i think, america and there was just a gently caress ton of statues that were stuck in a cliffside due to the passage of time

there's a ton in the ocean as well. Sure hope no one THERE had a super brain that kept them going until they destatue themselves!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Jose posted:

wouldn't most/all nuclear powerplants have some sort of shut down so rather than going critical and exploding everything would mostly stay contained? The bigger issue is all the nuke subs leaking into the ocean

the containment, like basically everything else manmade, would have eroded away over thousands of years

i think the idea with the "dilution" is that with no humans around to even attempt to contain the stuff, wind and rain would have spread the contamination over such a wide area that there wouldn't be a significant amount of long-lived radioactivity in any one place anymore

i have no idea if the numbers actually work out for that tho

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I like how they put “Science advisor: Kurare” on those sorts of pages so everyone knows where to send their angry “ACKSHULLY” tweets to instead of the author.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Vengarr posted:

I like how they put “Science advisor: Kurare” on those sorts of pages so everyone knows where to send their angry “ACKSHULLY” tweets to instead of the author.

It's honestly the smartest thing in any panel of this manga :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

if caleb was still on twitter he'd probably have a whole thread on how this would/wouldn't work :sigh:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fabricated posted:

Also RIP to all the statues that were anywhere near the Yellowstone caldera apparently.

Yeah, the Chernobyl New Safe Confinement facility is a gigantic (think bigger than an NFL Super Dome) building finished recently enough that's it's still at the very beginning of it's lifespan. It's designed to contain not only the reactor itself but the crumbling old sarcophagus which itself is contaminated at this point. Even this brand new, state of the art, purpose built without time constraints like "we need this poo poo covered NOW!!!" is only designed to last 100 years. Ideally this low lifespan is because they are now actively trying to remove and properly contain the active nuclear material still in the reactor, so by the time it's up for a refresh it should have far less dangerous material to worry about.

But in the timeline of Dr. Stone they weren't even close to finishing and would have barely started on dismantling the old sarcophagus itself.

2900 years over it's projected lifespan would mean that not only is the new protection all but gone, but the old concrete sarcophagus is completely eroded away and the core would have been re-exposed and probably had another meltdown situation due to rainwater and other stuff. Most of the European continent should be completely irradiated by this point.

Vizuyos posted:

the containment, like basically everything else manmade, would have eroded away over thousands of years

i think the idea with the "dilution" is that with no humans around to even attempt to contain the stuff, wind and rain would have spread the contamination over such a wide area that there wouldn't be a significant amount of long-lived radioactivity in any one place anymore

i have no idea if the numbers actually work out for that tho

At least for Chernobyl any effect that "dilution" would have had would be negligible. The timeline would probably end up being:

-Containment safe guards erode away (new and old sarcophagus), exposing the reactor again.
-The boron and sand absorption material spread on the fuel rods to control the criticality would then slowly be washed away by rain and the weather, leading to the rector becoming "hot" again.
-The reactor then goes critical and super critical and then melting completely into a nuclear furnace churning out tons of material that'll be spread all over the Eurasian continent, seep into the soil, ground water, then into the plants and simply continually spread.
-Eventually the reactor might end up completely exploding due to another steam explosion due to all the water that would build up in the lower levels and elsewhere in the Chernobyl facility, maybe it would be enough to disperse the main fuel cores so that they are separate enough to not go critical anymore, but that just means you now have highly radioactive core fragments all over the place.

Not that anyone was convinced by the vague "dilution" explanation, and not that it really matters since otherwise you'd just have a story that's completely different if it wanted to tackle the "holy poo poo everything is fatally radioactive on half of the worlds landmass" idea. Diluting something like Chernobyl's core would make things far worse before it made anything better.

Crain fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 1, 2021

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Crain posted:

Everything is Terrible Chernobyl Edition

So what you're saying is Dr. Stone should actually be a Fallout manga series, or more like "On the Beach"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jiro posted:

So what you're saying is Dr. Stone should actually be a Fallout manga series, or more like "On the Beach"

Now I just want a series that focuses on a future civilization living near one of those theorized "long term containment" facilities made up to look imposing and scary to keep people away, who treat it like some kind of trial or dungeon to search through because obviously there's gotta be good poo poo in there.

Like this:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You'd have thought all of the folks over in Chernobyl simply wouldn't have let it get that bad.

:colbert:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Maybe Tiddybot helped mitigate the radiation.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I Am Fowl posted:

Maybe Tiddybot helped mitigate the radiation.

Three cheers for tiddybot!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I mean, we really had to suspend disbelief about the state of the natural world long before this chapter. If companies are currently dumping gallons of oil onto land and water currently for various negligence-related reasons, how toxic would they be in just a few months after the Medusa hit and all those pipelines and etc. fall into disrepair?

I'm pretty sure we have a suicide pact with Earth at this point. If we go, we're taking it with us (and obviously vice versa).

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Crain posted:

Now I just want a series that focuses on a future civilization living near one of those theorized "long term containment" facilities made up to look imposing and scary to keep people away, who treat it like some kind of trial or dungeon to search through because obviously there's gotta be good poo poo in there.

Like this:

Wow, that looks like a place of honor. It looks like highly esteemed deeds are commemorated there.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Wow, that looks like a place of honor. It looks like highly esteemed deeds are commemorated there.

I bet if you dig straight down - say, about 1km or so - you'll find something of value buried there!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Prowler posted:

I mean, we really had to suspend disbelief about the state of the natural world long before this chapter. If companies are currently dumping gallons of oil onto land and water currently for various negligence-related reasons, how toxic would they be in just a few months after the Medusa hit and all those pipelines and etc. fall into disrepair?

I'm pretty sure we have a suicide pact with Earth at this point. If we go, we're taking it with us (and obviously vice versa).
Most superfund sites would still be majorly toxic after 3000 years.

Another fun thing I mentioned a while back is that everywhere that stored nitrate fertilizer or hypergolic chemicals would've exploded at some point too. We're talking explosions on par with nuclear weaponry.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
West, Texas got to experience that firsthand, unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzDC3iKbTzY

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shinjobi posted:

West, Texas got to experience that firsthand, unfortunately.
Beirut more recently too.

The Texas City disaster is still one of the largest non nuclear explosions ever recorded and it happened in 1947.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Christ, I forgot about the Beirut one. 2020 was a phantom year.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

lmao, the new chapter is out, and the latest invention is one that has made BOTH sai and kaseki explode into nakedness out of excitement.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A pretty heartwarming chapter

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010485

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-217/chapter/23511?action=read

This whole chapter reminded me of a flashback from an early chapter

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dr. Stone really was a Civilization speedrun all along

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Renzuko posted:

lmao, the new chapter is out, and the latest invention is one that has made BOTH sai and kaseki explode into nakedness out of excitement.

We now know which fetish willbe the first on the new Internet.

I wonder if Ryusei will introduce Social Media.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z=218. WWW

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This was a fun chapter
liked the explanation of the cables, the pit stop to hawaii for coffee, all the engineers being like "ohhhh how obvious!!" at the epaper

We're really nearing the end now...Gonna miss this comic, even if it's got another year in the can to full wrap up.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Basically every week I read this comic my innate response is "Oh, that was wholesome." Hasn't really changed in awhile!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know manga don't like to switch things up too much but it is kind of weird how everyone still looks the same even though this latest run of chapters has taken place over a fairly long period of time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm really excited for them to get the moon and Why Man is a sexy android who wants to bone Senku

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
He’s more of a Shy Guy, really.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010487

Senku is going to need to train hard for this mission. Really good chapter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Big Eyeshield 21 vibes from this chapter, really.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how it just handwaved away why they couldn't use existing astronauts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, it really feels like the editor asked "Wouldn't real astronauts make more sense?"