Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Pull up, pull up

https://youtu.be/Xlr2ZMTc52E

e: drat Party you got a crappy attitude. For someone dispensing unsolicited personality advice perhaps learn to let it roll

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Doctor Party posted:

But again I expected a few condescending replies (the internet) so you get the award for least helpful and most happy to take opportunity to crap on someone rather than try to offer helpful advice.

Thanks for those who sincerely attempted at providing helpful advice!

My reply was serious and I think good advice?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

spwrozek posted:

I think a lot of this depends on how livable the place is, what you want to do, how long you are willing to wait, and how much you are doing yourself. One house I had was totally fine but kind of dated. I ripped out the entire "master" to the studs and redid it. Took me about 6 months doing it at night and weekends but I wasn't in a rush as I had two more bedrooms and a bath to stay in. I did the whole thing for under $20K (probably $5-10K more these days) since I did everything myself (it is good to grow up working construction). Once that was done I did the other 2 rooms and bathroom.

On the flip side is a guy I work worth who has lived in his fifth wheel for 5 months (3 more months then he planed) and looks like no end in sight.

The key to these projects is having space to move around and do it in chunks. When you get to the kitchen a really good contractor is key to plan it out and minimize the down time (I would hold off on this for at least a year if not longer with what is going on). Plus have a Grill, hot plate, and microwave on the ready!

The real answer is don't do this if you have no construction experience or don't have a good place to live during the reno.

Thanks for a thoughtful reply.

I think my question wasn't necessarily meant to be current market specific. More like if you are in a hypothetical situation of choosing between two homes. One is finished but more expensive and maybe in a worse location and the other is cheaper but needs some work done and is in a better location. So as a person without experience with renovation what could help me make the decision about whether its worth going for the cheaper house that needs work but might have other characteristics making it desirable etc.

Your reply is very helpful in pointing out that yeah one consideration is definitely while some renovation is being done could we still live there or would it be such an ordeal that we'd need a plan for not living there etc.

So my specific question about having someone offer a quote or something along those lines of a very ball park idea of how much it would cost to fix the cheaper house is what I am thinking about. Again maybe that's totally not a thing? Haha I could see that. And again in this market homes are flying off the market. So farting around with some attempt at quantifying cost for reno might not be feasible because the house might be off the market before you could even do that.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

QuarkJets posted:

I would welcome you to the forums but your regdate implies that you should already know better than this so idk

Yeah I have been around for a long time here. Something awful was founded by a dude who went on to be a pretty lovely guy...you know so like hey maybe there's room for something awful to grow. So yeah I called a dude out for offering nothing helpful and just siezing an opportunity to be a dick.

And again his points aren't even helpful. Uh yeah bro I know the market is up. Uh yes I am aware there is a pandemic haha. Uh yes I know that labor and materials are more.

I'll take blame in that I should have asked a very simple specific question. Ignoring current market how would you decide as a person not familiar with renovations between a house that might need one and a house that doesn't. And if your answer is well I'd suggest not trying to buy a house you know needs a reno if you're not familiar with it. That's OK cool. Good advice! No need to be a dick :).

Doctor Party fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 31, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Doctor Party posted:

So my specific question about having someone offer a quote or something along those lines of a very ball park idea of how much it would cost to fix the cheaper house is what I am thinking about. Again maybe that's totally not a thing? Haha I could see that. And again in this market homes are flying off the market. So farting around with some attempt at quantifying cost for reno might not be feasible because the house might be off the market before you could even do that.

It is definitely very smart to get a contractor to come look at a place and price things out if you are going down that road and can't price it out yourself. In the current climate it might be hard to get a contractor to come out and give you pricing. I would not offer on a place unless you understand the costs and timing though. For you that sounds like bringing in someone to help you.

Living in a reno is usually very stressful though and can really impact relationships so something to consider before you jump into that. Better to spend more or be in a slightly less great area than having home issues with your SO.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

spwrozek posted:

It is definitely very smart to get a contractor to come look at a place and price things out if you are going down that road and can't price it out yourself. In the current climate it might be hard to get a contractor to come out and give you pricing. I would not offer on a place unless you understand the costs and timing though. For you that sounds like bringing in someone to help you.

Living in a reno is usually very stressful though and can really impact relationships so something to consider before you jump into that. Better to spend more or be in a slightly less great area than having home issues with your SO.

So yeah you basically answered my question. If I am super interested in a home and most things are good but say the kitchen is just super dated then it's worth trying to get some kind of opinion on how much it's gonna cost to update it before going all in. And yes currently that might be a challenge even to get a ball park figure.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah

I would say that there's a spectrum of what "renovation" means, something like "this kitchen sure could use an update" isn't something that I even care about and I would not pass on a house over that whereas "this house is habitable, legally speaking" is a different story

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Hadlock posted:

For every 20, maybe 30 jobs there is one home remodeling guy available. So they can all throw out "gently caress you" pricing and whoever is willing to pay it, gets their house fixed that week

:words:

When do folks think the real estate market along with remodeling and what not will cool down?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Doctor Party posted:

Yeah I have been around for a long time here. Something awful was founded by a dude who went on to be a pretty lovely guy...you know so like hey maybe there's room for something awful to grow. So yeah I called a dude out for offering nothing helpful and just siezing an opportunity to be a dick.

And again his points aren't even helpful. Uh yeah bro I know the market is up. Uh yes I am aware there is a pandemic haha. Uh yes I know that labor and materials are more.

I'll take blame in that I should have asked a very simple specific question. Ignoring current market how would you decide as a person not familiar with renovations between a house that might need one and a house that doesn't. And if your answer is well I'd suggest not trying to buy a house you know needs a reno if you're not familiar with it. That's OK cool. Good advice! No need to be a dick :).

Lol.

All of these posts. Lol.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can't predict the market right now, but if I were a betting man, I'd say the market heats up again next spring (starting the weekend after superbowl sunday), through labor day 2022... the backlog of deferred home maintenance ought to clear up 2023 or 2024

If inflation goes above 6% (currently 5.5%) and stays there through Q2 2022, all bets are off

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

My realtor sent out a quarterly news letter about the DC market in September that hinted that things were indeed slowing down, but this is probably just the usual season slow down that we didn’t see last year. I’ve seen some price drops in our area, but they were mostly on pretty poor quality houses that we’re trying to take advantage of the market to offload a lovely property. I think the markets still going to be super competitive come spring for move-in ready homes, as the demand fundamentals are still there. I think people with nice homes just currently aren’t putting their properties on the market to wait for the usual Spring surge.

As an example, the reasonably nice move-in ready house that went on the market right behind us a week ago went under contract in under two days.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

spwrozek posted:

That is a VERY cheap sliding glass door installed. Like as cheap as you can get for a vinyl slider that will last 5-7 years and then the hot/cold cycle will break the seals and warp it so it doesn't open/close correctly.

Uh oh, my house has 7 sliding glass doors. :ohdear:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tremors posted:

Uh oh, my house has 7 sliding glass doors. :ohdear:

I shouldn't make it sound so bad. Vinyl can last a lot longer. They just generally have issues since they do not deal with temperature fluctuations very well. A new vinyl slider is $1500-2000 plus install.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
If you are first-time home buyer, with no renovation experience, no DIY experience beyond tiny things, and a growing family, then I would NEVER buy a home that required renovation to be livable. A place with dated trappings that you might one day want to fix, that's fine. A place where parts of the home are not fully functional without work, absolutely no.

If you ever feel the urge not to heed this advice, I'm sure we can dig up some article written by a dumb rear end in a top hat about how trying to renovate his former 3-story Victorian meth house into a home for his family, while his family and pregnant wife lived in it turned out to be way harder than they expected.

EDIT: Haha, I actually still had a link to the article that was bouncing around in the back of my head when I made this post.

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 31, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

If you are first-time home buyer, with no renovation experience, no DIY experience beyond tiny things, and a growing family, then I would NEVER buy a home that required renovation to be livable. A place with dated trappings that you might one day want to fix, that's fine. A place where parts of the home are not fully functional without work, absolutely no.

If you ever feel the urge not to heed this advice, I'm sure we can dig up some article written by a dumb rear end in a top hat about how trying to renovate his former 3-story Victorian meth house into a home for his family, while his family and pregnant wife lived in it turned out to be way harder than they expected.

EDIT: Haha, I actually still had a link to the article that was bouncing around in the back of my head when I made this post.

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

But what if hypothetically we say it wasn't a crack den and their "contractor" didn't destroy a porch and part of their foundation and good contractors were half the price, immediately available and materials were free? In that situation, can you talk to me about being a first time buyer and renovating a meth house?

Oh wait, this thread is about buying houses. Like, actually but them, now, in reality.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Motronic posted:

Oh wait, this thread is about buying houses. Like, actually but them, now, in reality.

The housing market varies a bunch by location and some of us may not live in this "reality" place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrLogan posted:

The housing market varies a bunch by location and some of us may not live in this "reality" place.

I'm all ears. Where during a global pandemic and supply chain crisis is immune to such pressures that the rest of us are seeing?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Holy poo poo that article.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I don’t know how Toronto’s housing market is so bad. Everything I’ve read and heard from Canadian friends makes San Francisco seem reasonable.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Motronic posted:

I'm all ears. Where during a global pandemic and supply chain crisis is immune to such pressures that the rest of us are seeing?

Whoosh

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Nybble posted:

I don’t know how Toronto’s housing market is so bad. Everything I’ve read and heard from Canadian friends makes San Francisco seem reasonable.

Well, one piece of the puzzle is that a couple who between them have one part time job can buy a $560,000 home.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Upgrade posted:

Well, one piece of the puzzle is that a couple who between them have one part time job can buy a $560,000 home.

So uh is it:

1. Extremely lax underwriting
or
2. Everyone in Canada has family money

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Haha, I'm happy I got to introduce that article to more people. It shares brain space in me with the article written by the guy who watched YouTube chef videos and decided to start a restaurant with no experience, and so thoroughly bankrupted his family that in a decade he still won't be able to send his kids to college; and the article written by the dude who reacted to his wife's "infertility" by serially cheating at Burning Man, trying to save his marriage by opening it up, and ended up alone when his wife dumped him for her friend with whom she now has 3 kids.

The secret to how the crack house family somehow ended up on top is because they were rich. They are absolutely terrible with money, but when you're rich people just give you money anyway.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Also that house price always go up, if it didn't they would have sunk $1.1mil into a house that if you tried to sell would have sold for a more modest 600-700k based on the location.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Residency Evil posted:

So uh is it:

or

The other piece is that they still owned a condo they rented out (?), sold their second condo and bought this house. And also agreed to pay some random toothless man they met on the street tens of thousands of dollars to renovate their home with mediocre recommendations.

How in the gently caress did that house pass an appraisal process for underwriting, too. Literal crackden.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Upgrade posted:

The other piece is that they still owned a condo they rented out (?), sold their second condo and bought this house. And also agreed to pay some random toothless man they met on the street tens of thousands of dollars to renovate their home with mediocre recommendations.

How in the gently caress did that house pass an appraisal process for underwriting, too. Literal crackden.

Could be a case of "we're rich, give us money". It sounds like they had a lot of spare equity in their condo (to the tune of $260k) and money seemed to just keep falling into their lap until they had blown through half a million on renovations alone. This is just how things go for people from rich families (oh my husband's incredibly successful godfather *happened* to be in town the exact day that we needed access to his wealth, what an amazing coincidence, btw we are able to make payments on our $730k in 2010 debt on the combined salary of a website editor and a part-time teacher)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 31, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Could be a case of "we're rich, give us money". It sounds like they had a lot of spare equity in their condo (to the tune of $260k) and money seemed to just keep falling into their lap until they had blown through half a million on renovations alone. This is just how things go for rich people

They had (access to) more than that, because if I recall there was a second article where they drunkenly stumbled into buying a vacation property not long after finishing that house.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

They had (access to) more than that, because if I recall there was a second article where they drunkenly stumbled into buying a vacation property not long after finishing that house.

The more I read this article the more it sounds like the original 900 sqft condo was also basically a gift, one they received while the husband was attending grad school.

So yeah, rich people.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I unfortunately don't have that article saved, but I believe goons did the math when it came out and figured out they bought the rental cabin months after the crackden was done being renovated.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

So uh is it:

or

2, got it.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
That's a hell of a story.

Their current employment situation doesn't really tell the whole story. Sounds like they sold their "two-bedroom rat trap" for $635k and put $200k down on the crack house. Then they refi'd their second condo to cash out another $260k for the crack house reno.

What gets me is that they had previously purchased a flip and had a bad experience with it, and so decided they weren't going to make that mistake again. The next logical step being, obviously, buy a giant, run-down rooming house sight-unseen (by the wife, at least) with no contingencies, and no cost estimate to reno. Makes perfect sense. The first walkthrough with their 2 year old is priceless.

Magicaljesus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 1, 2021

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

New record stupid price in my neighborhood: home was bought new from builder for $367k in December 2020, and they just put it up for $520k.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I just went under contract after a year of lackluster attempts at buying a house.
Can't wait for the soul crushing lifestyle that goes with owning a home, but after reading the Sellers Property Disclosure I am pretty sure the individual was Bob Vila himself..

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Nice and hot piss posted:

I just went under contract after a year of lackluster attempts at buying a house.
Can't wait for the soul crushing lifestyle that goes with owning a home, but after reading the Sellers Property Disclosure I am pretty sure the individual was Bob Vila himself..

What sort of things were on the disclosure that made you feel that way?

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Nice and hot piss posted:

...but after reading the Sellers Property Disclosure I am pretty sure the individual was Bob Vila himself..

This reads more like a red flag than a selling point. I'm also curious what was included in the disclosure.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lol, lmao

https://twitter.com/alexonicoll/status/1454107770261811207

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just lmfao.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Magicaljesus posted:

This reads more like a red flag than a selling point. I'm also curious what was included in the disclosure.

He was incredibly detailed in the things that have been upgraded, such as the day/make/model in which he put in/installed whatever fixture along with when the warranty on said items expired (also a phone number of the business i needed to call within 60 days of title transfer to have the warranty under the new owner of the house). The house has a new garage door, new roof and a tankless water heater. The house inside and from all that I did walking around seemed completely immaculate. The carpet was dated to which he wrote down *carpet needs replacing* .I wasn't even sure why he mentioned that. I guess I was just surprised because the other houses I considered making offers had barely no information, or super vague details (new windows installed in past 5 years) or (unsure of year of heater). From everything that was written up, nothing was done by him as he had reports of whoever the contractor/company was that did the work. So maybe my Bob Vila remark was inaccurate.

I just assumed this was a guy who tried to do everything he could in regards to keeping the property in good shape, and it showed. Fortunately I still have enough language in the contract that if the inspector finds anything scary I can either back out or re-negotiate

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 1, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

huh

a purchasing algorithm, based on a highly-flawed valuation model that nobody in the world takes seriously except for FSBO, overpaid for a bunch of houses and is bleeding money

who could have possibly seen that coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DaveSauce posted:

huh

a purchasing algorithm, based on a highly-flawed valuation model that nobody in the world takes seriously except for FSBO, overpaid for a bunch of houses and is bleeding money

who could have possibly seen that coming?

What it we framed this as a transfer of wealth from VCs to homeowners in the Phoenix area?