Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Havana Affair posted:

The rear spacing of the frame might be an issue. It could be 120mm and hubs in that width for threaded freewheels haven't been really made in decades. The freewheel is important since the frame and derailleur might not handle anything but 5 or 6 speeds and cassettes like that don't exist.

There are workarounds for everything above but if you don't want to invest time and money getting new tyres for old wheels might be the way to go.

Ahh interesting stuff

The derailleur isn't a huge issue as it's all continuous friction shifting

I had a quick look at Sheldon brown, and it looks like modern bikes are wider? (130mm?) Could this just be a matter of getting a few spacers and resetting the limits? Though I think on the effort/reward continuum this is getting up there

Though, now I certainly am viewing buying new tires as a more viable option, ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

I literally don't know of a bafang mid motor that hasn't needed repairs in the first few years of ownership, and that's across at least half a dozen units.

Yeah fair enough, mine did shear off the bolts holding the front ring on. We'd even replaced them with nicer bolts! Had to get a buddy to drill them out.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Jestery posted:

Ahh interesting stuff

The derailleur isn't a huge issue as it's all continuous friction shifting

I had a quick look at Sheldon brown, and it looks like modern bikes are wider? (130mm?) Could this just be a matter of getting a few spacers and resetting the limits? Though I think on the effort/reward continuum this is getting up there

Though, now I certainly am viewing buying new tires as a more viable option, ty

New cassettes are wider yes and the derailleur won't move far enough in to get past the fifth cog or so. Sometimes there's also problems with the smallest cog touching the frame. As you said this can be maybe sorted with spacers and Re-centering the wheel but I would personally rather build a new wheel with some nice vintage hubs but only if the frame is extra nice.

There's also the issue of the new hubs not maybe fitting inside your frame as they're too wide and a modern front axle maybe being too wide for your frame. Both solvable but even more effort. Maybe your frame is also modern enough that these issues won't exist.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

e.pilot posted:

Titanium is for slow old guys that still want to seem cool.

Ouch now my bike's feelings are hurt.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Does the Ford Escape Titanium have a Ti frame?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What rack should I get for the Kona rove. I had the surly rear rack on my LHT it was a beast. I’m open to front or rear or even a baby front rack with a rando bag sitting on it. Just need to carry change of clothes and some tools right now. Have ortleib city panniers and arkel touring panniers already

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I really like my tubus tara front rack. I use it more than the rear rack when I have a single bag.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I use it more than the rear rack when I have a single bag.
I like putting weight up front, but I find front imbalance much more unsettling than rear. It doesn't bother you?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

What rack should I get for the Kona rove. I had the surly rear rack on my LHT it was a beast. I’m open to front or rear or even a baby front rack with a rando bag sitting on it. Just need to carry change of clothes and some tools right now. Have ortleib city panniers and arkel touring panniers already

https://www.tubus.com/en/products/rear-carriers/tubus-product/airy

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

A MIRACLE posted:

If that’s all you’re carrying just get a saddlepack , it’ll be plenty big enough and won’t weigh nearly as much.

But for racks the Tortec Epic is great for me. Any rack with a second set of rails set lower than the top is much better imo as you can use the top separately, and centre of mass is lowered a bit.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Stupid question: is there any downside or risk to storing your bike with a slack chain from not having a cassette in?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Lex Neville posted:

Stupid question: is there any downside or risk to storing your bike with a slack chain from not having a cassette in?

Only risk is scratched paint, but broadly you're good

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I got a blackburn outpost rear rack which has been good. It's a bit fiddly to setup but will go on basically any bike if it has mounts. I think it's heading towards 1kg on the scales but it'll fit panniers and probably lighter than the surly rack you had.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CopperHound posted:

I like putting weight up front, but I find front imbalance much more unsettling than rear. It doesn't bother you?

Nope, I can't notice unless I take my hands off, and even then it's slight. I have a touring specific frame set, a gunnar world tour, which I'm sure helps.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Well , I just checked ,

700c wheels were drop in compatible with my old bike, I think I had to cold set the back form wider just a touch, but swish

Very happy with this

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks for the fenders suggestions. Went with PDW, wanted black but they were out in 45mm.

https://imgur.com/a/kTWmgWc

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Should I pick this up for $50? I recently moved and now have tons of easy access to MTB trails but only have a road bike. I'm thinking a rigid is better than a crappy old spring fork?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Dutymode posted:

Should I pick this up for $50? I recently moved and now have tons of easy access to MTB trails but only have a road bike. I'm thinking a rigid is better than a crappy old spring fork?

That thing looks pristine. Was it stashed unridden in a garage for decades? If it fits, buy it.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Dutymode posted:

Agree with tylerfb. Buy it

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I just bought a torque wrench from eBay. The drat drop shipper ended up sending six of these things.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Dutymode posted:

gently caress yeah, those bikes can be turned into so much fun

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Dutymode posted:

I would buy it on principal for that paint alone.

And then come join everyone else with broken collarbones in the MTB thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The shifters are probably gummed up from the oil drying out, but they are easy to fix. Should be a fun bike for any trail that isn't too rough or steep.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

osker posted:

I just bought a torque wrench from eBay. The drat drop shipper ended up sending six of these things.

Hate to break it to you but if you intended to use that on your bike you bought one meant for much higher torque specs than pretty much anything you'd actually bother using a real torque wrench on.

The good news is you have 6 of the things. Unload em for cheap and use that money to buy a wrench meant for low torque applications.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Good for: putting on cassettes, centre lock disc rotors, some cranksets, and threaded BBs. Potentially hollowtech 2 cranksets, although it's the upper range.

Not good for: anything else.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

osker posted:

looks like you will have to find an old motorcycle to fix up now

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

EvilJoven posted:

Hate to break it to you but if you intended to use that on your bike you bought one meant for much higher torque specs than pretty much anything you'd actually bother using a real torque wrench on.

The good news is you have 6 of the things. Unload em for cheap and use that money to buy a wrench meant for low torque applications.

It’s ok. I have a low torque wrench, but I had been meaning to get one that went 20NM and above.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Dutymode posted:

I have a hard rock of that vintage and ride it almost every day as my commuter. It is in many ways a bad bike, but it's almost zero maintenance gets me from a to b and appears to be more or less indestructible. It cost me $40 and a bit of work, and if someone wants to steal it, good luck to them.

That looks a bit nicer and would probably be super fun for hooning around trails on. For $50 you can't go wrong.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That is a very interesting position for those frame pump mounts.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Penis is stored on the top tube.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Why did they do away with QR seatposts?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

nwin posted:

Why did they do away with QR seatposts?

Super easy to steal the saddle, also heavier. Which is not much of a consideration on that frame, to be sure.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder if they mean the integrated seat post collar with the giant QR lever. Probably because it looks old. You still see modern QR collars on bikes these days.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

dropper posts largely supplanted QR seatpost clamps on mountain bikes, where you want the saddle in a high position for long climbs and then lowered as far out of the way as you can get it for descents

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Dutymode posted:

You could make it into a fun commuter or bar bike, but it's going to be pretty bad on actual MTB trails. Some people enjoy being "underbiked" and blah, blah, blah, but that will not perform as well off-road as a modern, entry-level, bike-store MTB, spring fork and all.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Good for: putting on cassettes, centre lock disc rotors, some cranksets, and threaded BBs. Potentially hollowtech 2 cranksets, although it's the upper range.

Not good for: anything else.

List of things I dont use a torque wrench for

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I use a torque wrench for a crank that uses pinch bolts to hold the arm on, otherwise :same:

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Have any of you ever forgotten to set your compressors pressure regulator, inflate a tubeless tire full of orange seal which proceeds to pop off the rim with a bang like a loving hand-grenade hurling slime everyfuckingwhere like shrapnel?

Asking for a friend.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

osker posted:

Have any of you ever forgotten to set your compressors pressure regulator, inflate a tubeless tire full of orange seal which proceeds to pop off the rim with a bang like a loving hand-grenade hurling slime everyfuckingwhere like shrapnel?

Asking for a friend.

yes

I thought I broke my hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Floor pump crew vindicated