Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
COVID hasn't really needed to become less lethal. It gets it's job done and makes more copies quite well long before the host dies, and everyone is spitting in each other's mouths quite willingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I'm doing a first grade observation and this one kid has kept his surgical mask on the whole time so far. Nice job! Just thought I'd share

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

You can drive a car can't you? Driving a truck is just like that!

All my hours of playing Snowrunner will finally pay off!!!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

All my hours of playing Snowrunner will finally pay off!!!

*calling my boss from a ditch on the side of the interstate* Where's the winch on this thing?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

I thought it was called The Forums, did I miss a meeting?
yeah 'the forums' is standard, or as my spouse would call them, 'your dumb forums'

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I can only get Aura N95s in Canada in packs of 440 for about $600. In the US they sell them in much smaller quantities so I might have some family members send me some but also, if this thing is really going to last 3-4 years I might just be better off getting the 440 pack? Then at least I can offer some to friends who I would also prefer not die.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1455171001323458572
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1455175293606379521

lmao

Tzen fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 1, 2021

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Rauros posted:

the hollow joy a consumerist modern society provides killed the planet, and covid seemed like a wake up call for people to maybe assess what was really important about life, but instead, everyone quickly clawed their way back to corporate dining and attractions without looking back. such a waste.

Oh we did assess, we assessed life wasn't important

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Moderna #3 (half dose) completely flattened both me and my wife, by far the worst of the three so far.

Chills, fever, repetitive thoughts and imagery like dose #2, but then on top of that severe fatigue, headache, joint and muscle and eye pain, zero appetite and difficult to eat or drink anything without nausea.

Got vaccinated at 12:30 yesterday, things started really taking off about 10 hours in and aside from the chills everything is still happening 33 hours out (dose #2 it was like someone flipped a switch in the morning and everything went away). Spent pretty much all day in bed, just sitting up or even looking at a screen was too much for most of it.

Hope people get time off from work for this!

I got boosted on Saturday and aside from all the other symptoms have had a single Rush song stuck on my head the whole time, did not realize I could blame Pfizer for this

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

inferis posted:

lol. lmao.

Lol I'm at the point that I am telling the icu if they want someone to monitor a patient in mri then have the doctor come down and monitor if it is such a life saving miracle exam. I can no longer keep calling in the radiology nurse to do your job for bullshit scans that are pointless. The nurse last week did 80 hours because of this poo poo and I'm done doing that to them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lol

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1455171690632151046?s=20

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Such a horrifying society, capable of administering and reading 34,000 covid tests with enough time to spare for Cinderella to get home from the ball.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Real Mean Queen posted:

Question for the thread, do you even bother talking about any of this poo poo any more? Not here, obviously, but with people in your lives. I notice I yell about it a lot when someone is unfortunate enough to be nearby, and sometimes I’ll be asked for information and I try really hard in those situations, but in a scenario like this, I just don’t bother. Bro in question is insanely well travelled and generally knows more than I do about the issues of the world on any given day, but covid seems like this massive blind spot that I don’t think I can do anything to remove.

occasionally, but no one really wants to hear it anymore. death is certain and normalized.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
My boss who went to the Stones concert last weekend, was out with a "cold" Thursday/Friday and is now working from home all this week. hmmmmmmmmmmm

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Real Mean Queen posted:

lol apparently one of my best friends is in the middle of a lengthy surprise layover in Texas on his way to Mexico City for some sightseeing. I love him and hope he will be okay, but goddamn, talk about an optional problem.

Question for the thread, do you even bother talking about any of this poo poo any more? Not here, obviously, but with people in your lives. I notice I yell about it a lot when someone is unfortunate enough to be nearby, and sometimes I’ll be asked for information and I try really hard in those situations, but in a scenario like this, I just don’t bother. Bro in question is insanely well travelled and generally knows more than I do about the issues of the world on any given day, but covid seems like this massive blind spot that I don’t think I can do anything to remove.

I got called a qanon follower by my in laws yesterday because I dared to call Bill Gates an rear end in a top hat regarding mRNA intellectual property getekeeping versus distributing the Merck oral pill worldwide.

like you can't even be critical of the people who are ruling the planet lest the blue MAGA think you're not on the right team.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

dxt posted:

My boss who went to the Stones concert last weekend, was out with a "cold" Thursday/Friday and is now working from home all this week. hmmmmmmmmmmm

he quit and is now living the roadie life touring with the stones

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I bet you didn't know there was a Covid Surge in the Dominican Republic
https://www.kake.com/story/45097662/whats-behind-the-dominican-republics-new-surge-in-covid-19-cases

Colorado is not in good shape
https://www.connectradio.fm/2021/10/28/covid-19-live-updates-colorados-available-icu-beds-at-lowest-point-of-pandemic/

The Singapore Surge
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/singapore-reports-highest-single-day-rise-covid-19-cases-2021-10-27/

7 States are on fire with COVID
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/7-states-where-covid-now-121541616.html

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Rauros posted:

factors that make it more transmissible (like delta have increased replication) can be more lethal to the host.

also as it evolves to become more transmissible in hosts that have immunity (vaccinated, previously infected, and selected for) it probably gets way more lethal to people who have no immunity

Animal-Mother posted:

How am I not hearing about thousands of lawsuits over workplace exposure to Covid? We spent decades talking about that McDonald's coffee lawsuit. No one is willing or able to sue their employer for putting them in the hospital with this virus? What the hell is going on?

i thought one of mcconnell's conditions for one of the bailouts was employer immunity against this type of lawsuit

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I got called a qanon follower by my in laws yesterday because I dared to call Bill Gates an rear end in a top hat regarding mRNA intellectual property getekeeping versus distributing the Merck oral pill worldwide.

like you can't even be critical of the people who are ruling the planet lest the blue MAGA think you're not on the right team.

:lol:

Apparently my mom assumed I voted for Trump for like 2 years because I criticized Hillary Clinton

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Gates is the most successful anti Vax activist on the planet and somehow there are pro Vax people that like him, it's maddening

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Atrocious Joe posted:

Polio only has a really low chance of impacting kids' nervous system, and most cases are mild or asymptomatic.

I'm shocked we wasted the resources eradicating it in the US.

https://www.rchsd.org/health-articles/polio/

Yeah it's a remarkable comparison. The awesome part is that polio will likely come back as antivax sentiments become mainstream policy after the next few elections and school vaccine requirements get dropped.

Edit: I also wonder if there was an economic component to the successful response in that the epidemic in the 1950's were largely confined to children, so the economy didn't have to shut-down for quarantines.

Nothus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 1, 2021

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

Apparently my mom assumed I voted for Trump for like 2 years because I criticized Hillary Clinton

if you're not fully on team Blue, you're obviously a Trumper. Those are the only two possibilities.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

dxt posted:

if you're not fully on team Blue, you're obviously a Trumper. Those are the only two possibilities.

C-Spammers are an Outside Context problem for American politics, and the cognitive effect it has is hilariously sad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mycomancy posted:

C-Spammers are an Outside Context problem for American politics, and the cognitive effect it has is hilariously sad.

It's been that way for a while, I remember people telling me I threw away my vote when I voted for Ralph Nader back in '04.

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/BlockClubCHI/status/1455199083346468864

come on covid, do your thing

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tulip posted:

Gates is the most successful anti Vax activist on the planet and somehow there are pro Vax people that like him, it's maddening

"W Bush did so much for HIV prevention abroad"

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

(accidentally sucks entire indoor viral load into my unvaccinated lungs with 100% accurate rate) alright. that's fine. heres why i think thats my freedoms, [1/88]

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nothus posted:

Yeah it's a remarkable comparison. The awesome part is that polio will likely come back as antivax sentiments become mainstream policy after the next few elections and school vaccine requirements get dropped.

Edit: I also wonder if there was an economic component to the successful response in that the epidemic in the 1950's were largely confined to children, so the economy didn't have to shut-down for quarantines.

Polio is mostly passed by feces so anyplace with modern sanitation doesn't tend to get hit very badly.

Currently, the last holdouts for the polio vaxx are in Waziristan and Afghanistan, and there's a good chance that with the Taliban in charge doctors over in Qatar and Pakistan will be able to start getting needles in arms.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Rauros posted:

the hollow joy a consumerist modern society provides killed the planet, and covid seemed like a wake up call for people to maybe assess what was really important about life, but instead, everyone quickly clawed their way back to corporate dining and attractions without looking back. such a waste.

sorry i cant hear ur post its happy hour here

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
just got to ride the MRI machine to see if my brain is gonna explode :toot:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

sorry i cant hear ur post its happy hour here

It's always brunch somewhere

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
In fact, Polio can be killed by a moderate amount of warming, so if people in affected regions without modern sanitation could control it pretty effectively if they would compost all of their waste.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

venting here bc im not getting in the weeds with data like others in The Bad Thread, but just lmao at several posters there working Very Hard to suggest the vaccines are working perfectly and actually 30% of vaxxed iowans hospitalized is totally normal acceptable levels of death and suffering

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

venting here bc im not getting in the weeds with data like others in The Bad Thread, but just lmao at several posters there working Very Hard to suggest the vaccines are working perfectly and actually 30% of vaxxed iowans hospitalized is totally normal acceptable levels of death and suffering

Again, it's always brunch somewhere

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Opulent Ceremony posted:

Can anyone give me a twitter or document link for evidence that if you were vaxxed 6+ months ago, your resistance to becoming infected has waned significantly? I need it for convincing family, thank you

make them watch the FDA advisory meeting from a month ago before they approved boosters. it has pfizer itself talking through the data and describing in excrutiating detail why we absolutely need to get boosters now. after 6 months the protection from even severe disease goes way down and that's a bad, bad place to be with delta around.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Gio posted:

love to see banned posters with alt accounts own themselves though lmao

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

cr0y posted:

What is the evolutionary pressure for a virus to mutate to something more lethal? I understand it sorta happens I just don't understand the math involved?
here is some monday morning reading
https://www.pnas.org/content/114/35/9397
is it less lethal via viral mutation, or less lethal via culling of susceptible people? hurry up and die already slackers

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been that way for a while, I remember people telling me I threw away my vote when I voted for Ralph Nader back in '04.

good, voting belongs in the trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gio posted:

That thread would get like a page a month of posts if you gave up on trying to reason with them.