Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/czarinaramos_/status/1454999024134672384?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i went to a grocery store yesterday, an older one with relatively narrow parking spaces compared ot gigantic american vehicles now, some dumbass in an f-150 platinum (base model starts at $58,795) had to make like a 12 point turn to back his dumbass truck into a spot. there were plenty of wide open spaces in the back of the lot but i guess it's too much for some people to walk an extra 30 seconds.

ban all cars thanks.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

aw this is too loving cute :3:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm gonna be a bollard next halloween

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
planning to lose a few pounds then?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

gently caress you!! if anything I need to bulk up a bit

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.startribune.com/northstar-rail-runs-into-trouble-in-anoka-county/600111876/

usage dropped 95% once covid hit lol

the train goes from downtown minneapolis to chud exurbs where everyone owns assault vehicles

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Xaris posted:

hell yeah. our neighborhood/street is known as a "destination" street for no apparent reason but we had ours and the one going adjacent to it blocked off and we got like 1000 kids. i whole lotta suvs driving around to here to look for a spot to park or something, idk. just park 5 blocks over where there's plenty of parking and completely dead-streets, and avoid the giant hotspot of kids out trick or treating???

unfortunately i only bought 2 bags of costco candy because i thought it'd be lite this year on kids but no, ran out after like the first 1.5 hrs and still had 1.5 to go.

i made a candy chute with lights and all the kids loved it. would def use it again next year

Someone had one of these in our hood and can confirm it was a big hit with the kids. Halloween is my fave because I just walk around in the middle of the road and the cars actually stop. Of course this only applies to residential streets, but I'll take what I can get.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol https://slate.com/business/2021/10/electric-vehicle-tesla-charger-curb.html

electric cars only have one advantage over ICE, their emissions are somewhat (not even that much lower). they don't have a benefit in every other area, they take up the same amount of space, are just as dangerous (possibly even more because electric versions are heavier than their ICE equivalent), and I would argue electric will result in MORE driving because people don't have to pay for gas.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

electric cars are also mechanically much simpler and easier to maintain than ICE cars, no transmission, no catalytic converter, no muffler, etc. they are still bad and not the solution, however, for all the reasons you said (plus their tire emissions are probably worse due to increased weight from the battery, which is also worse for roads and consequently increased need for road repair)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

lol https://slate.com/business/2021/10/electric-vehicle-tesla-charger-curb.html

electric cars only have one advantage over ICE, their emissions are somewhat (not even that much lower). they don't have a benefit in every other area, they take up the same amount of space, are just as dangerous (possibly even more because electric versions are heavier than their ICE equivalent), and I would argue electric will result in MORE driving because people don't have to pay for gas.

electric train good. electric car bad.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair, we would barely ever have to repair roads if semi tractors weren't constantly mashing them up

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One benefit of electric cars is fewer gas stations

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Xaris posted:

hell yeah. our neighborhood/street is known as a "destination" street for no apparent reason but we had ours and the one going adjacent to it blocked off and we got like 1000 kids. i whole lotta suvs driving around to here to look for a spot to park or something, idk. just park 5 blocks over where there's plenty of parking and completely dead-streets, and avoid the giant hotspot of kids out trick or treating???

unfortunately i only bought 2 bags of costco candy because i thought it'd be lite this year on kids but no, ran out after like the first 1.5 hrs and still had 1.5 to go.

i made a candy chute with lights and all the kids loved it. would def use it again next year

thats :krad:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
fewer cars and i do mean cars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

electric cars are also mechanically much simpler and easier to maintain than ICE cars, no transmission, no catalytic converter, no muffler, etc. they are still bad and not the solution, however, for all the reasons you said (plus their tire emissions are probably worse due to increased weight from the battery, which is also worse for roads and consequently increased need for road repair)

is the quietness of electric cars ever an issue for those who are blind?

edit: so they know they are coming, hopefully they are not driving one

Fitzy Fitz posted:

they will all just be converted to charging stations, it will take up the same space

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Fitzy Fitz posted:

where will people buy unregulated drugs and lotto tickets?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’ll do it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

they will all just be converted to charging stations, it will take up the same space

I admit I'm not that familiar with electric cars, but don't charging stations need to be used for extended periods of time? Most of the ones I've seen were in existing parking lots, which is at least combing two car amenities into one.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there even one documented instance of a cop ticketing someone on a motorcycle for making too much noise?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

actionjackson posted:

there are articles and websites about how electric cars are too quiet and pose a danger to blind people, so, it certainly seems to be the case

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You know what poses a vastly reduced danger to blind people? Trains

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

You know what poses a vastly reduced danger to blind people? Trains
legs

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Our electric buses emit a screeching beeping sound whenever they accelerate or stop.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Has this thread gone over how there will never be accountability demanded from the car lobby/industry because they're one of the biggest tv and news advertisers?

Or how early motorists were swarmed and murdered if they killed or injured a pedestrian?

gently caress cars

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

skewetoo posted:

Or how early motorists were swarmed and murdered if they killed or injured a pedestrian?

do not let the car colonize your brain

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

do not let the car colonize your brain

I'm trying!!!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

actionjackson posted:

I'm pretty sure that particular concern isn't genuine. Lots of ICE cars are quiet enough that you can't hear them coming anyway, or they are already going way too fast for the street so by the time you hear them it's too late anyway, it would be no different for an electric vehicle. Maybe if a car is stopped in the street in a crosswalk in front of a blind person they would be more likely to run into an electric vehicle then an ICE one, but meh.

Anyway, if you are against cars for commuting and city driving, like you should be, electric cars aren't a better alternative.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Our electric buses emit a screeching beeping sound whenever they accelerate or stop.

Busses are trash.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

skewetoo posted:

Has this thread gone over how there will never be accountability demanded from the car lobby/industry because they're one of the biggest tv and news advertisers?

mannn we recently borrowed a friend's hulu login and it is loving brutal... we never watch TV and previously only used streaming platforms without ads, so we're not used to seeing commercials. it's all cars, car insurance, and medication. absolute hell country

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Polo-Rican posted:

mannn we recently borrowed a friend's hulu login and it is loving brutal... we never watch TV and previously only used streaming platforms without ads, so we're not used to seeing commercials. it's all cars, car insurance, and medication. absolute hell country
Don't forget the lawyers advertising for car-related cases (though you're more likely to see them on TV than Hulu)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its very cool to watch football and all the commercials are for trucks, beer, and various medicines that old people need

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lobster shirt posted:

its very cool to watch football and all the commercials are for trucks, beer, and various medicines that old people need

mesothlionoma commercials ftw

and no i will never spell that word correctly

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

*making 39 point turn maneuvering my ford raptor into narrow parking space* dilly dilly!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No one trick or treats in my neighborhood :(

There are a couple of rich neighborhoods nearby, so everyone just goes there.
my street isn't rich and mostly a mix of apartments/du-multiplexes with a smattering of some narrow sfhs. like we're mostly one of the only few streets with apartments on it, surrounded by streets of solely and exclusively larger SFH's. but i think we just have long-running halloween fanatics that have been strict about constant street closures for decades and doing some elaborate setup on the corner that it's attracted as a reputation for being a Hot Spot.

but hot spot destination stuff is loving exhausting. i love the first hour of it seeing all the adorable little kids in elaborate stuff and while there's still sunlight, but after about the 1,000th kid it blurs together and is just non-stop. was very sad to announce we were out of candy and the sad puppy look on everyone's faces was heartbreaking tho.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lobster shirt posted:

In the full communism future, various co-op beer brewery's (and cidery's) will be the only commercials that are allowed while various intramural sports teams are taking timeouts and rest between plays.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lobster shirt posted:

the crypto ads are muscling their way into it too

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

a fun game I play is looking up whatever happened to miracle cure products that I saw ads for constantly in the past and are now all gone. The latest was the Willow Curve low intensity laser therapy device. Turns out they got sued into oblivion by the FDA.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

*making 39 point turn maneuvering my ford raptor into narrow parking space* dilly dilly!

my friend let me try pulling out (lol) in his honda pilot and it was like a tank or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/housetrotter/status/1455238150364844037?s=20