Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1455152717769363457
how are we going to do nothing this time boys?

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
anyone else on the “climate change is definitely real and will kill us all” train but also hesitant about this huge new push around it, considering it will almost certainly result in restrictions on the daily life of normal people while Epstein island pedos get to continue their lifestyle

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

stellers bae posted:

anyone else on the “climate change is definitely real and will kill us all” train but also hesitant about this huge new push around it, considering it will almost certainly result in restrictions on the daily life of normal people while Epstein island pedos get to continue their lifestyle

It was always the plan

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

stellers bae posted:

...while Epstein island pedos get to continue their lifestyle

The reason so many multi-billionaires are building super-yachts is they're worried Elonsyium won't be ready before people (or forest fires) burn down their compounds.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

out descendants shall dig up our ancients blades and know we stood over 200 feet tall, and know reverence

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"The biggest thing you can do is often just not make more humans. And no one wants to hear that, of course..."

Oh, people are fine with hearing it, they just don't think it applies to THEM. They're just fine with others having less kids, usually the type that they call "those people," typically with the extra quantifier of "you know, *over there*."

Yeah, right there, them, getting out of the VW passenger van. The van right there with the 12-member stick figure family.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

stellers bae posted:

I basically haven't shut up about that very thing for two years or more.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
The Decline is ok, I prefer something harder for that kinda mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IvWESzWBtE

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
UNDP having a normal one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOcQRl9ASc

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2021/11/01/a_discarded_tire_in_the_ocean_is_a_hermit_crab_death_machine_801396.html

quote:

Over the year-long experiment, 1,278 hermit crabs were trapped within the six tires in Mutsu Bay. If not collected and released at monthly intervals, they would have undoubtedly died of starvation or cannibalism, the researchers say.

Taken together, the two experiments clearly show that discarded tires on the ocean floor can be a scourge to hermit crabs. The researchers describe their devastating effects as analogous to 'ghost fishing', in which abandoned fishing gear can continue to catch and entangle aquatic animals without human control. But tires could be worse, Sogabe and Takatsuji say.

Love cars, it's our gift to every living thing on the planet.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

stellers bae posted:

The rich and powerful realizing that the collapse of the biosphere gives them the perfect excuse to deliberately turn the world into a draconian neo-feudal nightmare, rather than this process being the natural evolution of events, is absolutely the immediate future we're headed for OP.

For everything those really loud obnoxious right wingers are hilariously wrong about, they probably aren't wrong about that "great reset" thing. Broken clock etc etc etc.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Rime posted:

For everything those really loud obnoxious right wingers are hilariously wrong about, they probably aren't wrong about that "great reset" thing. Broken clock etc etc etc.

yep

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
to be more specific, a lot of the conspiracy theories they peddle are horseshit but the core idea that we'll end up with more systemic control of society will definitely be attempted

edit: oh also i don't believe world leaders planned and executed covid-19 specifically

i guess what i'm saying is i believe capitalist oligarchs want to funnel more wealth and power into their hands and things like the WEF are just part of that

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Nov 1, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Aaahhhhhh! It's actually worse than even I thought for once! gently caress AHHHH kill me

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Decades posted:

UNDP having a normal one:

sucked, dinosaurs do NOT sound like jack black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7JaStGH-AQ

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
That hermit crab article is super interesting. It reminds me of the greenhouses tomato situation where certain types of human activity have a really narrow but catastrophic impact on a particular species or population and those are often overlooked. (mainly because invertebrates are often the victims imo)

Anyhow, there's a river in my backyard that normally gets coho salmon. Nothing this year so far. Folks from the local university have been walking the river for weeks and everyone I've talked to said not a single fish has been found. Pretty depressing after reading an article from 2003 about how this river was a crown jewel of urban salmon streams. Please pass the void so I can scream into it.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
the solution for tons of toxic or useless garbage is to say that it can be recycled and used in concrete.

I’m pretty sure those gigantic chat piles around [Picher] Oklahoma (the town that got evacuated) was to put millions of tons of lead mining waste into roads.

edit: fixed town name

Torpor has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Nov 1, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://twitter.com/rbsw/status/1455191011832045571

In God We Trust huh

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1455195062405632007

LMAO.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's so perfect. The exact physical embodiment of America's effort.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ahead of the start of the World Climate Summit in Glasgow, climate researcher Ottmar Edenhofer has warned of far more drastic global warming than previously feared.

quote:

Emissions continue to rise every year, and dramatically so. The current gas price crisis is giving coal an ominous comeback. This means: we are not heading for 2.7 degrees, but for four degrees, and thus for a global warming that can no longer be controlled, which, by the way, would also be truly devastating in purely economic terms," said the Director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) in an interview with the "Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung" (NOZ)

I don't know anything about this dude or if he is reputable. :shrug:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Conspiratiorist posted:

In God We Trust huh

He saved the planet before he can do it again.
Maybe don't do the whole ark thing this time.

https://i.imgur.com/ejFuCZu.mp4

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

r u ready to WALK posted:

He saved the planet before he can do it again.
Maybe don't do the whole ark thing this time.

https://i.imgur.com/ejFuCZu.mp4

That's what the cruise liners are for. They'll just be as full of poo poo as Noah's ark.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

there’s a reason people call him sleepy joe

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

broke: gun victim thoughts and prayers
woke: climate change victim thoughts and prayers

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
"Someone else will handle it." - Someone who has the power to handle it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I keep watching this and keep thinking of this thread.

loving Dupont and plastic and gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W74aeuqsiU

Sorry for posting an old video of Last Week Tonight but it's a big lol

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

That hermit crab article is super interesting. It reminds me of the greenhouses tomato situation where certain types of human activity have a really narrow but catastrophic impact on a particular species or population and those are often overlooked. (mainly because invertebrates are often the victims imo)

Anyhow, there's a river in my backyard that normally gets coho salmon. Nothing this year so far. Folks from the local university have been walking the river for weeks and everyone I've talked to said not a single fish has been found. Pretty depressing after reading an article from 2003 about how this river was a crown jewel of urban salmon streams. Please pass the void so I can scream into it.
Can you elaborate about the tomatoes i didn't get the memo, sounds interesting

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

IAMKOREA posted:

Can you elaborate about the tomatoes i didn't get the memo, sounds interesting

I posted about this before but some researchers think that the (probable) extinction of franklin's bumblebee was due to them being attracted to hothouse tomatoes and trying to breed in a non viable environment.

Makes me wonder how many situations are going in like this where there's a species that has some real specific needs and humans are unknowingly driving them to extinction unlike the species we are knowingly driving to extinction.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

well he says poo poo sucks and is worse than previously thought so sounds pretty reputable based on reality

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
hmm
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1455229610422149137

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
to be fair I would fall asleep too if I knew beforehand the whole show was pointless.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A testament to our engineering prowess that we could have designed something so effective at catching hermit crabs without even intending to

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I'm glad tires don't have to be put in the ocean

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Just heard another NPR segment "It's Been a Minute" which had some nice quotes

I caught the end of this with the little do what you love speech and I know it’s been a minute is their attempt at not having zombies preach number but just hearing someone saying you are right to feel bad and they are going crazy too feels like soommmmething.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shima Honnou posted:

well he says poo poo sucks and is worse than previously thought so sounds pretty reputable based on reality

This isn't quite mainstream opinion just yet, as that is still a delusional clinging to 1.5c, but it's progress when people are openly pointing out we are already guaranteed for more than these wild COPE-XX summit amounts.

kater posted:

I caught the end of this with the little do what you love speech and I know it’s been a minute is their attempt at not having zombies preach number but just hearing someone saying you are right to feel bad and they are going crazy too feels like soommmmething.

Yeah, It was definitely progress in messaging. I didn't include one of the first exchanges where the host goes "Well you have to have hope right?" and the guests are like "No." The quote about "Doing the right thing" was to answer what to do in the absence of hope, since a moral argument can be made to do the correct "right" actions even if you won't get the outcome you want.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Nov 1, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cold on a Cob posted:

edit: oh also i don't believe world leaders planned and executed covid-19 specifically

I do. they made it just to get at david graeber to keep number safe and now number is over 30k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Just heard another NPR segment "It's Been a Minute" which had some nice quotes

well i love making money hand over fist no matter the method or side effects so thanks for the validation, npr!