Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I have an exterior outlet that will disable itself if there is a power surge, normally not a big deal if someone is awake to notice the power surge and reset the outlet but if everyone is asleep not so great. Is there something I can plug into the outlet that will send me an alert when the power goes out? I don't need a screaming alarm just a message so when I wake up I know what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I know we've gone over wallets and such plenty of times, but I'm a lady goon who had typically used the Vera Bradley zippered ID holders for my card and small amount of cash/change holding needs. Is there something around that same size and function that's more durable? The clear id pocket isn't a must-have, but I carry this in my front pocket with my phone so I'd rather not have loose change floating around in there.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Running club keeps starting later and later and my headlamp is annoying to wear while running. Anybody got suggestions for good lights/hi-visibility gear to wear? I usually run in shorts and a long sleeve shirt, if it matters.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Brother Tadger posted:

Running club keeps starting later and later and my headlamp is annoying to wear while running. Anybody got suggestions for good lights/hi-visibility gear to wear? I usually run in shorts and a long sleeve shirt, if it matters.

Reflect360 or some similar high reflection gear.

https://www.provizsports.com/en-us/reflect360-running-x-vest.html

mystes
May 31, 2006

That basic gray glass bead reflective stuff is pretty sensitive to dirt/wear/water so you might want to get stuff with prismatic reflector tape even though it's less comfortable and cool looking.

Also, reflective stuff is only visible to someone if they have a light approximately near their eye level pointed at you (for example, if you're approaching an intersection and a car is also approaching it perpendicular to you, since it's headlights are focused in front of the car, the person driving it may not be able to see you at all until its too late) so you ideally want to always throw in some lights as well.

You could get something like this even though they are kind of annoying to wear: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VC2HZQ3

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone know of a pair of shorts similar to this? Particular the way the pocket is attached/sown into the short itself?
(this particular pair I have and the company hasn't had stock in 2 years)

I really dislike the loose pocket that most basketball/athletic shorts have because keeping a phone or anything in it falls out when lying down and annoying when moving more than a walk.

I found a running short that has a second compression layer with a pocket which I might have to try as my only resort but I'm not confident I'll like that.

Nicolas
Apr 9, 2005

they'll be afraid
because they don't have any faith
they'll claim that they believe but that is not how they behave
I'm looking for a service that streamlines the process of insuring and shipping laptops to new employees.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Comatoast posted:

Check out Wiggys for a car camping, non-inflatable sleeping pad. Inflatables are nice but they come with some severe downsides. A non-inflatable will never leave you sleeping on the ground from a hole or busted seal, and it won't retain moisture from you filling it with your talking hole.

I'm personally too much of a baby to sleep on one of these. When I go camping (car, backpack, whatever) or even crashing someplace I bring this thing: https://www.bigagnes.com/Q-Core-SLX_2 and inflate it with this thing: https://www.bigagnes.com/Pumphouse-Ultra

Camping air pads have come a LONG way. This thing is baffled so that you don't slosh around at all, the edges are slightly taller so you don't roll off, and it's thick. Plus it's insulated for camping so you don't freeze your rear end off. If you inflate it with the thingy, it only takes ~5 minutes and you don't need to use your breath. Plus it seems to be really durable.

Definitely overkill for this application but just sayin.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's the best thing that will mount my phone on my dashboard to take video of my driving? Not something like an Uber driver might have, something that's essentially a camera accessory to help capture video.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nicolas posted:

I'm looking for a service that streamlines the process of insuring and shipping laptops to new employees.

Doesn't like any large computer maker do this (like for example Dell)? Are you in the US looking to ship within the US? Any certain conditions to your desired setup?

I applied for and did not get a job years ago for this type of job so I'm mostly no help here probably but :)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm looking for a solid set of computer speakers, preferably for $50-$75. I'm not looking for anything crazy-fancy, just something nice and inexpensive.

Hopefully that combination actually exists.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I enjoy my Creative Pebble Plus 2.1 system.

Nothing fancy, looks cool and sounds fine.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rolo posted:

I enjoy my Creative Pebble Plus 2.1 system.

Nothing fancy, looks cool and sounds fine.

My other half has the Pebble 2.0 and they're great little speakers.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I just went ahead and ordered these speakers, which look pretty nice to me. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Leave posted:

I just went ahead and ordered these speakers, which look pretty nice to me. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

Hope you like them as much as I do!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got a laptop for work and it’s time to stop using a backpack. I’m now in the market for a messenger bag! I’d prefer some durability on the butt part because it’s going to have a MacBook and 2 iPads in it. They’ll all be in cases/sleeves so it doesn’t have to be armored, just not super thin and cheap.

I also prefer over one shoulder to the side and not something I have to have across my chest. I won’t be walking miles with it and I’d like to grab things out of it without taking it off.

Any recommended brands to get me started?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rolo posted:

I got a laptop for work and it’s time to stop using a backpack. I’m now in the market for a messenger bag! I’d prefer some durability on the butt part because it’s going to have a MacBook and 2 iPads in it. They’ll all be in cases/sleeves so it doesn’t have to be armored, just not super thin and cheap.

I also prefer over one shoulder to the side and not something I have to have across my chest. I won’t be walking miles with it and I’d like to grab things out of it without taking it off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087J8HYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this ~5 years ago and it has been my weekend/work/whatever laptop bag the entire time. It has held up really well and is great for just carrying around the essentials. You might be able to get it on sale at some point over the holidays, i forget how much I paid but it wasn't $125.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rolo posted:

I’ve not tried Peak Design’s dedicated messenger bags, but I’ve never had a product of theirs that I wasn’t a fan of. Their larger sized everyday bags may be able to fit in the computer stuff and have plenty of room for snacks or whatever left over.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks guys I’ll start with those!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Timbuk2 and Chrome both make great messenger bags. I’ve switched back to a backpack but I used Timbuk2 bags for years and really liked them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
For something with very few frills, I really like Rickshaw Bagworks.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Lawen posted:

Timbuk2 and Chrome both make great messenger bags. I’ve switched back to a backpack but I used Timbuk2 bags for years and really liked them.

I love my chrome messenger bag, it’s 4 or 5 years old and holding up great.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I really like Waterfield's bags. sfbags.com

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I’ve been using my Filson bag for over a decade now. A bit spendy but it’s nice and your kids can have it when you’re done.

I think my model is slightly larger than the original briefcase with some extra pockets for computer stuff.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any recommendations for a floor cleaner that works on hardwood and tile and can be mixed in a bucket for mopping? Most of the stuff I find are either a spray or only work on one type of surface.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Simple Green can clean both from a bucket.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Does it need to be rinsed off? I mainly wanted this to be used with a bucket because I feel the no bucket spray products won't have enough liquid to keep the mop clean as I go through the whole room. So I want to be able to run the mop through a bucket after every section.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think you need to rinse off pretty much any cleaning product you would use on your floor?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You mop until the water is brown, dump it out, refill and start again until the water no longer turns brown.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah that's what I've been doing. Most of the spray products say no rinse no bucket. But then I don't see how all that brown is going to get cleaned off the mop.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Simple Green is like, the most mundane of cleaning chemicals, right?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Captain Invictus posted:

Simple Green is like, the most mundane of cleaning chemicals, right?

Yeah, but it works well enough and IIRC it's the least toxic compared to other detergents.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

bamhand posted:

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Most of the spray products say no rinse no bucket. But then I don't see how all that brown is going to get cleaned off the mop.

You keep changing the water and adding some more cleaner, eventually it all comes off the mop like it comes off your floor and then you can do a final rinse pass with plain water.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, but it works well enough and IIRC it's the least toxic compared to other detergents.
oh yeah I didn't mean it wasn't effective, but more to the second point, it's extremely lightweight chemicalwise compared to other cleaners

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks again for all the bag chat! I have a ton of great looking bags to choose from now.

Hopefully this one is simpler: I need some wipes or spray for cleaning my LCD computer monitor and TV. Bonus points if I can use it on my glass gadgets. I got some Endust wipes from the store that promised they wouldn't streak and now my monitor looks like a child rubbed their hands all over it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dicty Bojangles posted:

You keep changing the water and adding some more cleaner, eventually it all comes off the mop like it comes off your floor and then you can do a final rinse pass with plain water.

I'm saying the spray products just say to spray on and mop. You don't use a bucket at all. Which is why I'm doubting they get all the dirt out. Also a lot of products say they don't need to be rinsed off with the final pass with plain water.

Which is why for my request I was looking for a product that you mix in a bucket, and can be used on both hardwood and tile.

So anyways, it looks like Simple Green is a solution. I think I can probably just ignore the no bucket part of the spray bottle instruction and use spray + bucket. In which case, Rejuvenate All Floors Cleaner seems popular.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Thanks again for all the bag chat! I have a ton of great looking bags to choose from now.

Hopefully this one is simpler: I need some wipes or spray for cleaning my LCD computer monitor and TV. Bonus points if I can use it on my glass gadgets. I got some Endust wipes from the store that promised they wouldn't streak and now my monitor looks like a child rubbed their hands all over it.

Soft microfiber towels/cloths sold at Autozone or any other car supply store. Windex or similar cleaner. Fold cloth twice, use one side wet to clean, the other side dry to polish.

The gf looks at me like I'm crazy when I clean my computers.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Wasn’t there some issue where windex could get “in the panels” near the edges or something on certain types of screens? Is that something I made up in my head?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

evobatman posted:

Soft microfiber towels/cloths sold at Autozone or any other car supply store. Windex or similar cleaner. Fold cloth twice, use one side wet to clean, the other side dry to polish.

Koala Eyeglass Lens Cleaner Spray Kit, 2 Ounces, for All Lenses (Pack of 3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K4R213M/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_SVB5AF3S6EF6PRSEG37T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use this and it works great for both glasses and monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

evobatman posted:

That’s because you’re loving crazy for using windex, and even crazier for using enough liquid to saturate one entire side of the cloth.

Soft microfiber cloth, dry to clean if what you can.

A couple drops of water/eye glass/any tech cleaner (I use water) onto a corner of the cloth to get the stuff the dry cloth can’t, then buff the streaks with the dry side.

If they’re apple products (or anything without plastic housing), you can use some ISO on any non-display sections.