Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

:barf:

In other news, further testing has revealed that it's not the backplate or whatever, the springs (?) on this Kinesis are in fact pingy as gently caress. I tested it and nothing happens when I press down, it's on release that I hear it. And on some of the right side keys the resulting ring is pretty loving noticeable, so now that I have heard this I can't stop hearing it.

Welcome to the hobby, we hate it here. This is really the worst thing about using nicer keyboards: you start to hear all the little imperfections and some of them can be really annoying. The next thing you know you're spring swapping, bag lubing stems, and filming every switch on every board that you own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

A few questions:

What do I do if a few keys of my 10kl Leopold broke? Do I buy a full set of keycaps or can I get just like the ". >" and right arrow replaced?

What the hell is Sys Rq or Scroll Lock or Break for? My Print Screen button has Sys Rq printed on the side, and my Pause button has Break written on the side as well. Also, on that note, what is the Pause button for?

Other questions: I have a whole extra set of Alt, Windows Key, and Ctrl keys I wouldn't mind making do.... other things. Hell, I'd also like to make my Caps Lock do something else. Where do I go to look into those things?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Z the IVth posted:

I recently switch from a full size to a TKL and I realised how much that numpad meant to me. Even though I only use it intermittently for calling numbered records, it really is so much faster to key it out on the pad than to fiddle around with the number row. Time for a full size mech I guess, or a macropad?

I'm guessing after a certain point people stopped having calculator drills in school? I remember my various teachers all going on about how being able to touch-calculate was essential for optimal exam performance.

separate pad on the southpaw side, join us (though I use a 75%)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

anothergod posted:

A few questions:

What do I do if a few keys of my 10kl Leopold broke? Do I buy a full set of keycaps or can I get just like the ". >" and right arrow replaced?

What the hell is Sys Rq or Scroll Lock or Break for? My Print Screen button has Sys Rq printed on the side, and my Pause button has Break written on the side as well. Also, on that note, what is the Pause button for?

Other questions: I have a whole extra set of Alt, Windows Key, and Ctrl keys I wouldn't mind making do.... other things. Hell, I'd also like to make my Caps Lock do something else. Where do I go to look into those things?

scroll lock changed the behavior of arrow keys to scroll rather than move the cursor in the pre mouse era. it still does this in stuff like excel. pause/break was used for termination of programs or process, an even older legacy where you killed the program/transmission by physically breaking the circuit.

there are lots of keyboard drivers that will do custom layers, change key bindings etc etc - don't know if qmk is compatible with your board but its good for stuff like this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

interrodactyl posted:

Wait there's going to be an all black version of the J-02? Where do I learn more?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVNNiaiMCe8/
https://discord.gg/PVxXZQqm

Gearman posted:

Welcome to the hobby, we hate it here. This is really the worst thing about using nicer keyboards: you start to hear all the little imperfections and some of them can be really annoying. The next thing you know you're spring swapping, bag lubing stems, and filming every switch on every board that you own.

I don't even try to use switches stock anymore. I just go straight to lubing and/or filming.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I brought my 65% to the office today after having to spend a day on a mushy OEM rubberdome, oh my god I've become one of those people. :negative:

Lubed and filmed 68g tangerines on switch pads and with plate and case foam feel and sound loving amazing though :pcgaming:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Gearman posted:

ijyt posted:

filmed

I suspect I'm going to regret asking this, but... what is filming?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

I suspect I'm going to regret asking this, but... what is filming?

Sticking a tiny thin layer of material (some kind of vinyl usually I think) between the base and the cap of a switch to dampen the sound and eliminate any rattling from slight manufacturing defects

They look like this

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lmaoooooooooooooo

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Taffer posted:

Sticking a tiny thin layer of material (some kind of vinyl usually I think) between the base and the cap of a switch to dampen the sound and eliminate any rattling from slight manufacturing defects

They look like this

And yes, it’s a giant pain in the rear end for very small gains in sound and feel. Yet once you start, you can’t stop. Welcome to our hell.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just got a logitech craft keyboard off SA-Mart and whoa this thing rules. Just super comfortable to type on. Giving my WASD with clears a run for its money. Hard to beat the convenience of device switching and bluetooth.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Don't forget to obsess about thickness and material for your films!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I didn't know creamy could be used to describe keyboards.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

That answer made me curious why lubing was even necessary if you can dampen rattling with film, so I looked it up and now I (kind of) get how that works, when/why people do it, and what Gearman meant by bag lubing. Surely that's all the useless niche knowledge I need, right? Right?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
just scratching the surface bb

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hey kid you wanna buy some krytox

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DrHammond posted:

Don't forget to obsess about thickness and material for your films!

It gets easier when you start building a matrix of thickness / material for each switch manu / type.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Finally got off my rear end and got my lfkpad together, looks like the fIrmware in the qmk GitHub is glitched so I get to mess with that now.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bobas with 62 grams came in. I think I like the kiwis more?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Z the IVth posted:

I didn't know creamy could be used to describe keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZwmdU-cgY4

This is the video that got me started down this fuckin rabbit hole to begin with. Now I have a set of banana splits just waiting for my Mode65 to be here so I can make a board that sounds like this.

But I also worry now because I'm so used to my bobas and how bouncy they are that switching from them to linears is just going to feel so wrong.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Framboise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZwmdU-cgY4

This is the video that got me started down this fuckin rabbit hole to begin with. Now I have a set of banana splits just waiting for my Mode65 to be here so I can make a board that sounds like this.

But I also worry now because I'm so used to my bobas and how bouncy they are that switching from them to linears is just going to feel so wrong.
Tactile crew solidarity.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

anothergod posted:

Without the windows key how else do you pull up a launcher?

you could use home row modifier keys. so for example on my keyboard i can hold either "a" or ";" and the keyboard will send the winkey. i don't have shift, control, win or alt keys lol

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

anothergod posted:

Without the windows key how else do you pull up a launcher?

If it's an under-barrel grenade launcher you hit the weapon keybind again to switch to it. If you're playing heavy assault your launcher is on 3.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

you could use home row modifier keys. so for example

on my keyboard i can hold either "a" or ";" and the keyboard will send the winkey. i don't have shift, control, win or alt keys lol

My car doesn't have tires or any fuel but it's okay because you can just push it don't worry about it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lmaoooooooooooooo

only way to know if it makes a difference is to try it :shrug:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

ijyt posted:

My car doesn't have tires or any fuel but it's okay because you can just push it don't worry about it

Using the actual mod keys hurts my wrists, which is why I use the home row for mods. I still have the mod key functions, just in a place that works better for me. The keys in place of alt, ctrl, shift etc do other stuff.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

After sleeping on it bobas are the winner. Time to find somewhere that has 80 in stock and order the 62 gram springs.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LionArcher posted:

After sleeping on it bobas are the winner. Time to find somewhere that has 80 in stock and order the 62 gram springs.

I swapped a set of 68g Boba U4 switches to Gazzew’s his newest 55g spring to compare against a set of 62gs I have in a board: I think I’m going 55g for everything now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Electronaut posted:

I swapped a set of 68g Boba U4 switches to Gazzew’s his newest 55g spring to compare against a set of 62gs I have in a board: I think I’m going 55g for everything now.

I am about to swap some 55g springs into some U4's or U4T's because that increase in tactility was surprising!

tngffl
May 6, 2008

LionArcher posted:

I just picked up some Bobas from here and it was a good experience. Delivered to me pretty quickly

https://ringerkeys.com/collections/all

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

tngffl posted:

I just picked up some Bobas from here and it was a good experience. Delivered to me pretty quickly

https://ringerkeys.com/collections/all

Well that’s good to know because I ordered from them last night!

Now. Do I lube or not? I know I need better stabs for my GMMK pro…

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

Well that’s good to know because I ordered from them last night!

Now. Do I lube or not? I know I need better stabs for my GMMK pro…

The recommendation was not to lube bobas but I tried it out and it does make a difference. There's a quick lube technique with lube in a dropper bottle and dipping for the springs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Did you use 205g0 or 3204? I'm loathe to try the thicker one. It's good on my tangerines but feel like it'd be a bit much on bobas.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Did you use 205g0 or 3204? I'm loathe to try the thicker one. It's good on my tangerines but feel like it'd be a bit much on bobas.

Loob 3G. It's equivalent to the 3204 I think.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ijyt posted:

only way to know if it makes a difference is to try it :shrug:

at some point chasing intensely marginal returns just seems totally pointless to me

this goes for pretty much all hobbies i have, min-maxing is for loving nerds

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Boba u4t are great stock and don't NEED anything but do benefit from lube and film.

Don't use 205G0. A light application of 3203 is perfect, and you don't need to worry if you get any on the legs, and you can lube the leaf. If you already have 3204 then that's fine too just try not to get it on the legs. You can still touch the leaf just make sure it's applied very thinly and evenly or you'll lose some of that tactility.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

at some point chasing intensely marginal returns just seems totally pointless to me

this goes for pretty much all hobbies i have, min-maxing is for loving nerds

we are loving nerds

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Boba u4t are great stock and don't NEED anything but do benefit from lube and film.

Don't use 205G0. A light application of 3203 is perfect, and you don't need to worry if you get any on the legs, and you can lube the leaf. If you already have 3204 then that's fine too just try not to get it on the legs. You can still touch the leaf just make sure it's applied very thinly and evenly or you'll lose some of that tactility.

I like the bobas as is. It’s the stabs I have to lube. Now I just need to figure out which ones I want. I’m sad GMMK Pros are so bad apparently I really can’t just lube them and call them a day. And what lube to buy for whatever stabs I get.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've been using Bobas for months now and I have to say they definitely don't need lube and I haven't even bothered to put any on them. They have practically no scratchiness or pinginess to make it necessary at all.

In fact I kinda worry that lubing them would dampen the satisfying clacky noise they have?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Framboise posted:

I've been using Bobas for months now and I have to say they definitely don't need lube and I haven't even bothered to put any on them. They have practically no scratchiness or pinginess to make it necessary at all.

In fact I kinda worry that lubing them would dampen the satisfying clacky noise they have?

The clack will become more rounded. More thocc if you would.

The lube procedure I used was
1. Dispense about 1mm of lube into the tpp of the stem guide rails in the bottom switch half.
2. Dip bottom end of spring (about 1mm) into lube.
3. Reassemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Framboise posted:

Keep it off the pole, and out of the hole and it shouldn't.

I just touch the stem all around with a brush of lube. Very light, the lube should not be easily visible, DEFINITELY not white.
I really cannot stress how little you need. Like basically none at all. You can hit it with a brush and then wipe it off with a cloth and that would be sufficient enough. Just enough to improve the consistency of the stroke.

Man this whole process sounds kind of erotic. Sorry if I should have tagged NSFW.