Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Is there any quick gesture to change screen brightness? Right now it's stuck behind two swipes down on the notification bar. The auto brightness is better than the OnePlus but only marginally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, you want to show minutes before hours? What?!

C'mon, you know they mean they want it in a single line. I agree that

is a pretty dumb way to represent time, but I'm not going to lose any sleep about it, either.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god what is wrong with some of you with this extreme hyperbole? "the dumbest thing I have ever seen"? "Complete dogshit"? Yes, they need to fix it so there is no leading zero. Get a grip.

We don't read time in a two-line block. It's the kind of design decision a child would make because they can't actually read time but think a square looks nicer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If "hour over minutes" is the dumbest thing you've ever seen, don't stop and think about actual clocks.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

my watch displays time in the stacked format by default, i quite like it. it also has the leading zero and i like that too.

not sure how one could form an argument for it being the dumbest thing ever considering it's efficiency at communicating the time is probably exactly the same as any other digital format, but i'd like to hear someone give it whirl.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Endless Mike posted:

If "hour over minutes" is the dumbest thing you've ever seen, don't stop and think about actual clocks.
...clocks actually make a lot of sense given the technology when they were invented?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CRAYON posted:

my watch displays time in the stacked format by default, i quite like it. it also has the leading zero and i like that too.

not sure how one could form an argument for it being the dumbest thing ever considering it's efficiency at communicating the time is probably exactly the same as any other digital format, but i'd like to hear someone give it whirl.

Now imagine it listed the numbers backwards and gave you no option to revert it

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
It should obviously display Unix epoch time. Pathetic imo.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Y'all are too loving literal

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Appropos tread title is appropos.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We don't read time in a two-line block. It's the kind of design decision a child would make because they can't actually read time but think a square looks nicer.

Plenty of clocks show hours over minutes. It's so absurd and dumb and excessive and hyperbolic to say poo poo like "it's for children who can't read time". Jfc.

vvv I agree! It should be changeable, and the leading zero bugs me. No need for drastic and absurd hyperbole here.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 1, 2021

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

It's not the literal dumbest thing in the world but it's very very stupid that there's no option to change it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Plenty of clocks show hours over minutes. It's so absurd and dumb and excessive and hyperbolic to say poo poo like "it's for children who can't read time". Jfc.

vvv I agree! It should be changeable, and the leading zero bugs me. No need for drastic and absurd hyperbole here.

Your post seems like an overreaction to mine. Chill out

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I don't think I'm being dramatic when I say that I'll set myself on fire if they don't fix the clock.

I do need to actually go thru the Pixel Tips wizard and see if there is anything useful.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Your post seems like an overreaction to mine. Chill out

Tone down your hyperbole, and I absolutely will!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Tone down your hyperbole, and I absolutely will!

In total seriousness I think they should fire whoever made this UI decision. They're terrible at their job.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand how you're getting that kind of battery life. My usage is similar, and I get 5 hours.

My battery life increased immensely with system wide ad blocking (adguard pro, nextdns, whatever else + firefox mobile with ublock origin). Assuming you visit any major sites, news, media, etc, virtually every site you load on Chrome will attempt to load hidden audio, video, record audio invisibly (with AudioContext; won't trigger microphone), and make hundreds to thousands of requests in the background for ad-purposes and ad-fingerprinting purposes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

My battery life increased immensely with system wide ad blocking (adguard pro, nextdns, whatever else + firefox mobile with ublock origin). Assuming you visit any major sites, news, media, etc, virtually every site you load on Chrome will attempt to load hidden audio, video, record audio invisibly (with AudioContext; won't trigger microphone), and make hundreds to thousands of requests in the background for ad-purposes and ad-fingerprinting purposes.

These things?

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.nextdns.NextDNS&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I should give that a shot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god what is wrong with some of you with this extreme hyperbole? "the dumbest thing I have ever seen"? "Complete dogshit"? Yes, they need to fix it so there is no leading zero. Get a grip.

24 hour time, the only correct way to display time, has a leading zero.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, what's up with this 'Mon' and 'Nov' poo poo too? What are they, paying per character to the date licensing consortium? Outrageous! They have full WORDS, why are we not using them people!?!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't use a VPN locally, then Adguard Pro (doesn't need a sub; one time cost, usually $20 or so on sale - you just enter the key as the username for totally local usage) does the DNS blocking on-device.

Yeah, almost every major site does this kind of fuckery. Shopping sites do it a lot. Invisibly enumerate all your plugins, try to load playlists via video plugins to break through, previously loading Flash, Shockwave, and Java before they were killed. They also all poll the GPU via WebGL and draw items to attempt to get a unique image + make an off-page image and repeatedly draw into it thousands of times to get a "random" pattern that's unique per device. On every page load. It burns battery in a lovely attempt to "make sure" that you are a "unique real person" viewing the ad and not a click farm.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 1, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

If you don't use a VPN locally, then Adguard Pro (doesn't need a sub; one time cost, usually $20 or so on sale - you just enter the key as the username for totally local usage) does the DNS blocking on-device.

I do not normally, so I absolutely will try that. Thank you!

LastInLine posted:

Incorrect, as usual.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got the notification on my 4a for Android 12. Been putting it off since I've been hearing about battery and touchscreen issues with it. I get that a lot of the complaints are UX, but those both sound like "give it a few days" to me. Or are those overblown, as well?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Got the notification on my 4a for Android 12. Been putting it off since I've been hearing about battery and touchscreen issues with it. I get that a lot of the complaints are UX, but those both sound like "give it a few days" to me. Or are those overblown, as well?
The notification shade is horrendous.

All the other UI changes might be considered annoying, but are harmless and easy to get used to.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is anyone using a rear camera protector? Would a tempered glass one effect the picture quality?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

Does Adguard Pro remove the VPN thing?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does Adguard Pro remove the VPN thing?

To run without root, it runs a VPN server locally and then connects to it, so you can't stack a second one on top of it. If you are using one, you can usually pick one that pushes different DNS servers or does filtering on their side.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gather unto me, brothers and sisters, here me now and here me well, for I speak unto thee of a pox, nay a PLAGUE, visited upon our intelligent telephones, a sinister plague that goes by the name of Android 12. HA! 12? And already we see! Two sixes, one short of the sign of the Great Beast? Aye, we know your true name, ANTICHRIST 12!

You may think at first, O, tis not so bad, tis merely a mode suitable for for Goodwyfe Miller's third form Sunday School or perhaps the Seniors Ministry, but be not deceived! This is but one facet of the Dark Lord's Dark Design for us ALL!

No longer shall you activate or dispel thine Wireless with the press of a button, forever shall you be plagued with giant blob controls fit only for those poor souls from the Age of Nephilim! Pray with me brothers and sisters, pray with me that our souls may yet be spared!

Also I don't like the clock.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

6 pro just got here. This thing' pretty neat.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Echophonic posted:

It's fine, they made some dumb changes and some good changes. If seeing a time split over two lines doesn't make you froth with rage, you'll probably survive the upgrade.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Echophonic posted:

Personally I like how 12 looks. My annoyances are very minor, such as not being able to open the calendar from the At A Glance widget, or not being able to get to the clock by tapping the time in the notification shade. Really just small things I had gotten used to, and now need to relearn.

It's subjective, but I love the new jumbo AOD clock.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

To run without root, it runs a VPN server locally and then connects to it, so you can't stack a second one on top of it. If you are using one, you can usually pick one that pushes different DNS servers or does filtering on their side.

Is that how you use Adguard with NextDNS?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
As I play a game I noticed my notification pull down is acting strange. I still see notifications but I can't pull it down any further to get to media player, quick settings or the brightness at all.

Is there a way to fix this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incogneato posted:

It's subjective, but I love the new jumbo AOD clock.

Me too. I just want them to get rid of the leading zero.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I like the big lockscreen clock, it was one of my favourite changes back when I switched to the beta

24 hr best clock, and it looks dumb without the leading zero

Having symmetry is a dumb design choice now? You're all mental

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Digital Wellbeing is what people use to check SoT, right? It tells me I have 3:40 with 36% battery left.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Me too. I just want them to get rid of the leading zero.

LastInLine posted:

Skarsnik posted:

24 hr best clock, and it looks dumb without the leading zero

:hai:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Echophonic posted:

Seeing as we are bringing up SOT my 4a is on 57% battery with 5hrs screen on, I don't think there are battery issues..

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is that how you use Adguard with NextDNS?

You can pick one or the other. Android natively supports NextDNS now with DNS over TLS (it'll be in settings > Private DNS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Alarbus posted:

And not to be rude, but seriously, what you're trying to do is fundamentally change how the phone works. You make it sound super easy, and it's not going to be that way. I get that it's a problem, but your requested solutions don't exist or don't work.

No I'm not and yes it does? There's like 50 apps that (successfully) changed the resolution and DPI of the screen with a single click; I've tried them all. The only issue I am having is with "padding". One-handed Mode app used to work fine for me all the time a few years ago, it's just not working on her phone for some reason (even though we can change the DPI and resolution with ease).