Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Speaking of,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WNlCJ7BdW4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bluff Buster posted:

It seems a bit strange that an English translation could be so off base from the original source. Like, we're past the days of Ted Woolsey having to drastically alter the script to make it fit both in the game cartridges and into Nintendo of America's policies. This was a game where story was basically the selling point, I would have thought there would be better oversight from someone in Japan to make sure the translation would be more in sync, especially since Sakamoto apparently had a role in directing the English voice actress of Samus.

I mean, one of the 3DS Fire Emblem games had a localization so awful, one of the higher ups at NoJ had to be held back from just firing everyone involved with it on the spot when he found out about it. For some reason translations/localizations can get really loving butchered in games and anime/cartoons and poo poo.

Actually wasn’t there something about that Squid Game show also having pretty botched subtitles or something too?

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 1, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've heard a lot of bellyaching about the FE Fates localization, but I've never heard anything about people's jobs being in danger and I doubt it's true.

As for Squid Game, the original Twitter thread confused the closed captions based on the English dub with the English-language subtitles, which use a different and more faithful translation. Closed captions/dubs and subtitles have very different needs and goals.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I don’t think it was Fates, it wasn’t Awakening either, it was like Echoes I think?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I don’t think it was Fates, it wasn’t Awakening either, it was like Echoes I think?

Echoes had one of the most widely praised localizations, from the same external localization team as Awakening and Shadow Dragon. (They also do the Nier games, if you need more context for their work).

So, in addition to it not being bad, it was done by a team Nintendo couldn't fire because, you know, they don't work for them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly while I love Ridley fights, I feel him being in Dread would have overshadowed Raven Beak.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Oh poo poo I’m an idiot. It was Fates, I forgot that game got split into two games for some reason, and it was the not-Conquest game that got a real bad localization. For some reason I thought Conquest was Fates.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DoctorWhat posted:

I've heard a lot of bellyaching about the FE Fates localization, but I've never heard anything about people's jobs being in danger and I doubt it's true.

Yeah I'm gonna need an actual source on that and not some hearsay as well. Never heard of people's jobs being threatened over it either.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly while I love Ridley fights, I feel him being in Dread would have overshadowed Raven Beak.

Pretty sure they settled on Ridley being dead at this point given they had a lot of excuses to bring him back yet again but he isn't. Wonder if this is the last we'll see of the current space pirate faction, since Kraid was the only known member left in Dread.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Oh poo poo I’m an idiot. It was Fates, I forgot that game got split into two games for some reason, and it was the not-Conquest game that got a real bad localization. For some reason I thought Conquest was Fates.

Conquest is Fates, you are thinking of Birthright probably.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Fire Emblem Fates refers to three games Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation. rather than being a series they are different routes through the same campaign, essentially Route A; Route B; and the 'True Ending'. I can't speak to the quality of the translation, I hated the story so much I was barely paying attention, but I do know it was panned on release in the west due to localization changes, removal of a intimacy minigame, and other forms of 'censorship'.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

FooF posted:

I think the one thing that is standing out for me right now is that even though I've beaten the game 5 times, I keep thinking about playing the game. I know all the tricks, I can sequence break, beat bosses without taking a hit and 100% if I want to but I'm still drawn back because the game is just fun. I know there was a lot of controversy over the AAA price tag but I've already spent about 30 hours on the game and enjoyed every single minute.

I really hope they make a sequel or at least push out some DLC. It's not a "small" game (it's by far the largest Metroid in map size) but I wish there was about twice as much of it. It's a lot like Breath of the Wild in that you don't want it to end. I feel like this Samus/gameplay style would lend itself to 2 to 3 more games really easily.

Same except I will never 100% because some of those shinespark challenges are ridiculous and not worth the frustration for me. I couldn't do those tricks when Fusion came out and I sure as poo poo can't now that I'm old and decrepit!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Friend posted:

Same except I will never 100% because some of those shinespark challenges are ridiculous and not worth the frustration for me. I couldn't do those tricks when Fusion came out and I sure as poo poo can't now that I'm old and decrepit!
I'm old too and found the dread ones easier to hit. This is the only metroid game I ever 100% and i'm 42.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Friend posted:

They aren't tooo bad, honestly. I got intimidated by the shine carry you have to do in Fusion. But in Dread, I think only one of them took me more than a few tries.

One big detail is that it seems like hitting any of the shine spark blocks just obliterates all of them in the formation. One looked like I'd have to come back and do a second diagonal ball spark to get the item. But a whole square and indentation went away when I hit one block.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Darkoni posted:

Fire Emblem Fates refers to three games Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation. rather than being a series they are different routes through the same campaign, essentially Route A; Route B; and the 'True Ending'. I can't speak to the quality of the translation, I hated the story so much I was barely paying attention, but I do know it was panned on release in the west due to localization changes, removal of a intimacy minigame, and other forms of 'censorship'.

the major changes i know with the fe fates localization is:
the bad face petting minigame that wasn't very good
they removed a support rank convo and replaced it with ...
removed the gay support convos from specific characters and pasted the straight ones over it (for some reason????)

also i played part of super metroid and found the controls kinda clunky, maybe i'll try out the demo for dread tho

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Booky posted:

also i played part of super metroid and found the controls kinda clunky, maybe i'll try out the demo for dread tho

In Super Metroid, I had a hell of a time wall jumping more than once or twice in a row. If I ever slipped up and fell down that shaft where the bird teaches you how to shinespark, I'm probably down there for at least fifteen minutes. In Dread, I can reliably wall jump, and basic shine sparks only take me a few tries. It's definitely more forgiving than Super Metroid.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
super metroid has the worst controls in the series

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Super Metroid has the least friendly controls in the series but they're also insanely expressive and a big part of how and why Super Metroid speedruns are so impressively optimized.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Booky posted:

removed the gay support convos from specific characters and pasted the straight ones over it (for some reason????)

Not to say I approve, but I can sort of see a logic to that. "In order for there to be complete equality between gay and straight, we must remove all mention of gender entirely and treat them exactly the same." It's the same sort logic that pretends that racism can't exist if you never talk about race.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 2, 2021

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Here's a controversial opinion: the thing that has me disappointed me the most in Dread is that they kept the Wide Beam for all subsequent powerups. I really liked that Plasma in Super went with twin long beams that oscillated. Triple Beam gets stale and has been the staple since Fusion and Returns. Bring back the glory of Plasma.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

FooF posted:

Here's a controversial opinion: the thing that has me disappointed me the most in Dread is that they kept the Wide Beam for all subsequent powerups. I really liked that Plasma in Super went with twin long beams that oscillated. Triple Beam gets stale and has been the staple since Fusion and Returns. Bring back the glory of Plasma.

Nope, I'm on the Wide Side, wide beam good.

One thing I'm very happy they carried over from Fusion was the beam order where you get Wide Beam early, Plasma Beam mid-game, and Wave Beam late, rather than past games where you get Wave Beam earlier and Plasma Beam later. Plasma Beam's ability to fire through enemies is both more core to gameplay flow and less disruptive to the action than Wave Beam's ability to fire through walls. By the time you get Wave Beam you're beefy enough that you don't bother cheesing stuff from the other side of a wall, but if you got it earlier like in Super, you might have been tempted to. Better feeling beam progression. Feels bad playing through so much of Super without the ability to fire through enemies.

I also appreciate how the EMMIs showcase their upgrade ability when you first encounter them. Spider EMMI is prominently climbing on the ceiling when it spots you. Morph EMMI moves through narrow tunnels that the Spider EMMI couldn't navigate. (Those are both powers later EMMIs all have too, of course, but they're highlighted as new at the time. Even Spider EMMI comes after a broken-up EMMI that couldn't climb.) Speed EMMI is a speedy speed boy. Ice EMMI doesn't get a cutscene that I can recall, but when Wave EMMI catches you in Ferenia just before you meet Quiet Robe, again, it's showing off the things it does in gameplay: it spots you through a wall and fires a circular stun pulse through the wall.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FooF posted:

All the beams effects stacked. It only oscillated because of the wave beam upgrade, if you turned off wave beam it would shoot a single laser in a straight line. Only exception is that spazer and plasma both couldn't be active at once. I like the concept in theory but in practice it's pointless since you usually get all the beams in the same order and there's never any reason to turn any of the upgrades off.

And if you don't like wall jumping in super, then you can just...not do it. I beat the game several times over as a kid not realizing wall jumping and shine sparking existed (If I fell in their respected holes I used to just reset the game because I just couldn't figure it out.) I'm assuming you need to do it to 100% the game but let's be real for a second, you're not gonna 100% super metroid without a guide anyway. They're advanced techniques and really only exist to give you tools to break the game.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 2, 2021

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Renegret posted:

And if you don't like wall jumping in super, then you can just...not do it. I beat the game several times over as a kid not realizing wall jumping and shine sparking existed (If I fell in their respected holes I used to just reset the game because I just couldn't figure it out.) I'm assuming you need to do it to 100% the game but let's be real for a second, you're not gonna 100% super metroid without a guide anyway.

There's a little alcove in Brinstar with an energy tank and a few missile tanks that you need to either wall jump or bomb jump to leave once you've gone inside. Shinespark, though, you can get 100% of the items in the game and never shinespark once. Literally the only thing you need shinespark for in Super is to leave Bird Hole if you fall in Bird Hole, and there's nothing in Bird Hole except a heal dispenser and Bird.

And then of course there are the tricks people don't talk about as much, the beam shields and crystal flash. Super is loaded with completely optional hidden maneuvers you're never told how to execute.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 2, 2021

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I Am Just a Box posted:

I also appreciate how the EMMIs showcase their upgrade ability when you first encounter them. Spider EMMI is prominently climbing on the ceiling when it spots you. Morph EMMI moves through narrow tunnels that the Spider EMMI couldn't navigate. (Those are both powers later EMMIs all have too, of course, but they're highlighted as new at the time. Even Spider EMMI comes after a broken-up EMMI that couldn't climb.) Speed EMMI is a speedy speed boy. Ice EMMI doesn't get a cutscene that I can recall, but when Wave EMMI catches you in Ferenia just before you meet Quiet Robe, again, it's showing off the things it does in gameplay: it spots you through a wall and fires a circular stun pulse through the wall.

Ice EMMI's cutscene shows it charging towards one of those floaty robots, freezing it with it's eyebeam and then smashing right through it.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

I Am Just a Box posted:

Shinespark, though, you can get 100% of the items in the game and never shinespark once.

There’s a missile tank in Maridia that needs the shinespark where you line yourself up with seaweed to pick the jump point, and a shaft you have to shinespark up in crateria next to the original Metroid escape shaft, and one optional part of the wrecked ship. Probably some other stuff I’m forgetting. Are there other ways to get those items that I don’t know about?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Omnomnomnivore posted:

There’s a missile tank in Maridia that needs the shinespark where you line yourself up with seaweed to pick the jump point, and a shaft you have to shinespark up in crateria next to the original Metroid escape shaft, and one optional part of the wrecked ship. Probably some other stuff I’m forgetting. Are there other ways to get those items that I don’t know about?

nope, no other way, shinespark is absolutely required for 100% in super, just not to actually beat the game

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Omnomnomnivore posted:

drat, no, you're right. I even replayed it recently and got all of those, how did I simultaneously convince myself nothing in Super required the shinespark?

Human memory is a hell of a thing.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
What is true is that nothing in Super requires anything but the vertical Shinespark: the other four directions are neither explained nor needed.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
It's not on the level of modern design/tutorial stuff and easily missed, but the idle at menu gameplay demos in Super show at least the existence of some cool stuff including pseudo screw, diagonal spark, the cool horizontal spark from above your ship, and bomb jump loop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsIBLOx12KU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

lol wtf is going on with the speedrun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De82TgmGjGs&t=2925s

(48:45 if the timestamp doesnt work)

who needs to actually see samus to beat metroid i guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lol that rules.

Parry this attack!

YEET out of existence

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I haven't read the last 80 pages of this thread because I'm desperately trying to avoid spoilers for myself (Google News spoiled Kraid for me), but I just got to the "scene" that happens mid-game, and just before that the coolest thing that I've seen in a Metroid series in a long time happened:

Before going up to Ferenia for the first time I was backtracking through the earlier regions to get every collectible I could get with speed+grapple and the occasional (but not exhaustive) bomb jumping. Doing so I found the orange teleporter in Cataris which I don't think is particularly gated except requiring grapple, which says the destination was Ghavoran ... and I haven't been to Ghavoran yet--certainly not through the "front door" or whatever. I wasn't sure if I had unintentionally sequence breaked and I actually do want to follow the intended path for plot reasons, but I decided to take a peek.

To my surprise I found myself locked into a tiny area full of morph ball tunnels and the pulse radar--an ability that helps you find all the collectibles! This was clearly an early discovery, but also an intentional one--the designers are rewarding players who seek out collectibles early by giving away early the ability that helps you seek out collectibles. That's very, very smart. Impressed.

Before that I've been having a pretty good time with Dread--the combat is easily the best of the "2D" Metroids--but I wasn't so sure how I felt about the exploration as I was routinely railroaded into new areas without being able to exhaustively search old ones--a frequent problem with Fusion, but something that happens only once in Super. I also got an early power bomb upgrade at the top of the one EMMI room in Artaria, but it's shown up as an unknown item. I guess that limits actual sequence breaks.

Alright, off again I go until beat this.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 2, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Trillhouse posted:

To be fair people speed run super Mario 64 blindfolded so we could get to that at some point

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Trillhouse posted:

That’s the Camera Lock glitch- if I remember right, that’s the glitch that finally got a “no major glitches” category formed over on speedrun.com

It breaks the cutscene logic because you kill the enemy in the cutscene before the cutscene happens, and ultimately breaks the game’s culling until something takes control of the camera. Until that time, doors (among many other things) don’t spawn.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
there's some real comedic timing to that glitch, i had to gif it

https://i.imgur.com/KSydwgI.mp4

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Me, losing to a boss for the 53rd time on hard mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkTmoYzNXOQ

Really though, I am enjoying this game all over again. Only my second playthrough, so things are pretty fresh in my mind.

Even though there's disappointment in how the game is deceptively linear, it still leaves the option open for sequence breaking, and sometimes even rewards it. I may playthrough like that too.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 3, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I do think the game is a bit too heavy-handed at keeping you from getting lost from time to time but it’s ultimately a minor complaint next to everything the game does right

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't read the last 80 pages of this thread because I'm desperately trying to avoid spoilers for myself (Google News spoiled Kraid for me), but I just got to the "scene" that happens mid-game, and just before that the coolest thing that I've seen in a Metroid series in a long time happened:

Before going up to Ferenia for the first time I was backtracking through the earlier regions to get every collectible I could get with speed+grapple and the occasional (but not exhaustive) bomb jumping. Doing so I found the orange teleporter in Cataris which I don't think is particularly gated except requiring grapple, which says the destination was Ghavoran ... and I haven't been to Ghavoran yet--certainly not through the "front door" or whatever. I wasn't sure if I had unintentionally sequence breaked and I actually do want to follow the intended path for plot reasons, but I decided to take a peek.

To my surprise I found myself locked into a tiny area full of morph ball tunnels and the pulse radar--an ability that helps you find all the collectibles! This was clearly an early discovery, but also an intentional one--the designers are rewarding players who seek out collectibles early by giving away early the ability that helps you seek out collectibles. That's very, very smart. Impressed.

Before that I've been having a pretty good time with Dread--the combat is easily the best of the "2D" Metroids--but I wasn't so sure how I felt about the exploration as I was routinely railroaded into new areas without being able to exhaustively search old ones--a frequent problem with Fusion, but something that happens only once in Super. I also got an early power bomb upgrade at the top of the one EMMI room in Artaria, but it's shown up as an unknown item. I guess that limits actual sequence breaks.

Alright, off again I go until beat this.

It's so good op, have fun!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Jothan posted:

That’s the Camera Lock glitch- if I remember right, that’s the glitch that finally got a “no major glitches” category formed over on speedrun.com

It breaks the cutscene logic because you kill the enemy in the cutscene before the cutscene happens, and ultimately breaks the game’s culling until something takes control of the camera. Until that time, doors (among many other things) don’t spawn.

for once in history, the youtube algorithm did me a solid and recommended me this video, which explains how the glitch works.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Clarste posted:

Not to say I approve, but I can sort of see a logic to that. "In order for there to be complete equality between gay and straight, we must remove all mention of gender entirely and treat them exactly the same." It's the same sort logic that pretends that racism can't exist if you never talk about race.

Unfortunately in the next game, which has a lot more gay supports, they just make every gay support less gay, so I think we have to conclude that they're just homophobes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I Am Just a Box posted:

And then of course there are the tricks people don't talk about as much, the beam shields and crystal flash. Super is loaded with completely optional hidden maneuvers you're never told how to execute.

Both of these can be figured out from contextual clues given by the hidden fourth attract mode sequence that gets added after beating the game once. I distinctly remember how hyped I was to figure them out on my own as a kid from watching and studying the UI during those demo sequences. Same with shinespark directions other than straight up.