Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I know this will probably not taste good. I'm just trying to spice up the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
https://www.wweek.com/restaurants/2016/12/13/the-kenny-zukes-chef-reveals-how-to-make-his-much-loved-hungarian-mushroom-soup/

This is about as simple a Hungarian Mushroom Soup recipe can get. My kid hates mushrooms, but I'm probably making it this weekend to freeze off for the missus and I to enjoy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my wife got a packet of Pumpkin Spice Latte VIA coffee from work as a gift and I am going to use it to make Pumpkin Spice Rice.

the question is do I use sushi rice, basmati, or long grain brown for this?

cook it in your toilet

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
is that the traditional way of making PSR? this is my first attempt.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you know what you make is going to be revolting so use the cheapest rice available so you're not wasting the good stuff

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it could be good though. like a spiced sweet rice. you just don't know.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

yeah you do

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man, if you really got to do this thing just make a thing of regular rice, put it in a pot, stir in some sweetened condensed milk, some regular milk, some cinnamon and some nutmeg and maybe nuts or fruit or a little vanilla or something

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

but then what do I do with this sleeve of powder. riddle me that Howard Schulz.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a problem you can put up your rear end isn't a problem at all

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

make a disgusting cup of instant pumpkin pie spice latte, take one sip so you know how gross it is then do whatever you want with the remainder of the cup

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah I guess I could then use the latte as an additive to the rice. this actually seems smarter than my original plan.

I've been so drat lazy about food lately (little Caesars tonight) but I made tikka masala chicken the other night and it was a good three days of meals

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I made potato soup

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my wife got a packet of Pumpkin Spice Latte VIA coffee from work as a gift and I am going to use it to make Pumpkin Spice Rice.

rice pudding is a thing and i hate it, but i think it calls for short grain or broken rice. if you don't have it use sushi rice and go gently caress yourself. should work though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Schmeichy posted:

I made potato soup

a good soup!

always use basmati, imho. Like it's rice lmfao come on buy the good stuff, the difference between bad and good is like half a pound of meat for a 1+ month supply

make sure to soak it for an hour or so too first, I dunno why it has any effect at all but it really is a +2 Staff of Flavor upgrade

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Eat This Glob posted:

rice pudding is a thing and i hate it, but i think it calls for short grain or broken rice. if you don't have it use sushi rice and go gently caress yourself. should work though

rice porridge is also a thing. I'm not totally thrilled by it but being thrilled by porridge kinda runs counter to the nature and purpose of porridge. the one congee recipe I checked called for long grain rice. the calrose rice the wife prefers cooks up real gummy and soft. come to think of it, op should go back to their original latte packet plan and just dump it all over a chinese takeout order of white rice

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Congee is an "oh god I'm sick I can't keep anything down" recipe for a reason

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

use short grain/sushi rice and make pumpkin spice ciba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEJU0pny9Y

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I tossed my Thai Kitchen fish sauce because it is truly not a good product but I can't find the Three Crabs brand of sauce that y'all keep talking up.

however, I did find a fish sauce made by Cock Brand that appears to be made entirely from anchovy extract and I'm not sure if that's any better.

couldn't resist the cock brand though.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Does not contain anything pictured on label, love it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

wait isn't anchovy fish sauce just Roman fish sauce? crap.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

wait isn't anchovy fish sauce just Roman fish sauce? crap.

If it is put that poo poo in any meat/pasta dish you make
you need both types anyhow

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

red boat is considered to be about as close to garum as you can find

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Red Boat is worth every penny.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Put some in my goulash last night (as per usual with Kenji recipes) and it was real nice.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

okay I'm going to Uwejemaya tomorrow to sort this all out I guess.

might gently caress around and buy 8 lbs of oxtails I dunno.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I made roast cauliflower w/ caper vinaigrette dressing, Kenji's tabbouleh, and roasted some butternuts for good measure. Hella good and accidentally vegan.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

drat that is some fine roughage. looks hearty!

I recently had a whole rear end epiphany where I decided that if we as a family don't eat more than half of a dish I prepare before putting it in the fridge, I seriously need to reconsider what I'm making.

I realized I was just making stuff I wanted to eat (or just try to make) but it wasn't stuff anyone else in my family wanted to eat either because it was too much meat or too spicy or whatever.

anyway your dish made me think about eating more vegetables

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Thanks! Getting a CSA really forced me to get more into veggie cooking and it's been great.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's the time of the seeeeeason for mushrooms

*organ riff*

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
It's squash season, so made some winter squash rolls using butternut squash

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:eyepop:

hey what's your recipe for bagels, I feel like giving it a try since I bought some malt from KA a while ago and still haven't used it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
made some cheddar, jalapeno, and scallion bread

BraveUlysses posted:

:eyepop:

hey what's your recipe for bagels, I feel like giving it a try since I bought some malt from KA a while ago and still haven't used it

Here you go: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2016/05/10/homemade-bagel-recipe-how-to-make-the-best-bagels-at-home/#bagelrecipe

I don't think that's paywalled, but just in case:

quote:

Ingredients
For the bagels
1 1/2 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise active dry yeast, preferably SAF brand
337 grams (scant 12 ounces; scant 1 1/2 cups) warm water (80 degrees)
623 grams (22 ounces; approximately 4 cups) bread flour (may substitute high-gluten flour; see headnote)
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon barley malt syrup
3 tablespoons cornmeal, for dusting
For the optional toppings
Sesame seeds
Poppy seeds
Caraway seed
Dehydrated onion flakes
Dehydrated garlic flakes
Sea or kosher salt
Steps
Mix the yeast into the warm water in a small bowl or measuring cup and let it start to foam while you prepare the rest of the dough. (If the mixture fails to foam after several minutes, dump it out and start over with new yeast.)
Combine the flour, salt and barley malt syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough-hook attachment. Add the yeast mixture and beat on the lowest speed until the dough starts to come together around the dough hook, about 4 minutes. Increase the speed to medium-low; beat for 7 to 10 minutes or until the dough is cohesive, smooth and stiff.
Dust a rimmed baking sheet with the cornmeal. Turn the dough out onto a work surface, then divide it into 8 or 9 equal portions (about 4 ounces each). Roll the pieces into smooth balls and cover with plastic wrap to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes.
Form each dough ball into a rope 11 inches long by rolling it under your palms. Try to avoid tapering the ends of the rope.
Shape each rope into a circle with a diameter of about 4 inches, overlapping the ends by about 11/2 inches. Pinch the overlapped areas firmly together, moistening them lightly with water if the ends won’t stick. Working with one at a time, place your fingers through each ring of dough; with the pinched-together seam facing down, roll the rope several times, applying firm pressure to seal the seam to form a bagel. Each ring should be about the same thickness all around; if it’s not, you can roll it in other places around the ring to even it out.
Place the dough rings on the cornmeal-covered baking sheet as you work, spaced an inch or two apart. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The rings will have puffed and spread slightly.
When you’re ready to boil and bake the bagels, place a pizza stone or baking stone, if using, on the middle oven rack. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. (The longer you can preheat, the better; up to an hour is great.)
Fill a large, wide pot with 3 inches of water; bring it to a boil over high heat.
Drop 3 or 4 dough rings into the boiling water, stirring and briefly submerging them with a metal skimmer or slotted spoon, until very slightly puffed, 30 to 35 seconds. Transfer the dough rings to a wire rack, bottom (flatter) sides down, to drain. Repeat with the remaining rings.
If you are using any of the optional toppings, dip the bagels in them while the dough is still wet (see VARIATIONS, below).
If you’re baking with the stone, transfer the rings, cornmeal side down, to a sheet of parchment paper on top of a pizza peel or overturned baking sheet. You’ll then just slide the parchment with the bagels directly onto the stone. (Depending on the size of the stone or your comfort in sliding off 8 or 9 bagels at a time, you might choose to bake in two batches, which will also help space the bagels out, for better browning on the crust.) If you’re not using a stone, transfer the bagels to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake (middle rack) for 12 to 18 minutes or until the bagels are a deep golden brown and crisp, rotating the parchment paper or baking sheet halfway through; the baking time will depend on whether you’re using a stone and perhaps the heat distribution of your oven.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What's everyone's ramen ritual?

My new thing is I prep a mixture of ngoc cham, soy sauce, and fresh ginger in a bowl then pour the broth over that (with a poached egg in it) then top it with some scallions.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

What's everyone's ramen ritual?

My new thing is I prep a mixture of ngoc cham, soy sauce, and fresh ginger in a bowl then pour the broth over that (with a poached egg in it) then top it with some scallions.

My ramen ritual is to go to the ramen place and get Tsukemen. I love ramen but it's a poo poo ton of effort to do at home and incredibly disappointing if you don't nail it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh I'm just a dude with a bunch of shin black and a dream.

like I'm talking about noodles in plastic wrap sorry.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Oh well then I like taking shin bowls and topping them with a slice or two of sharp cheddar before I add the water.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh poo poo someone told me about that and I totally forgot to try it.

brb making more ramen

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I uh, usually just add a couple dashes of tapatio or lately tiger sauce. the nissin fancy air dryed tonkatsu ramen bricks make really good instant ramen if I'm feeling fancy also the nong shim vegetarian cups of noodles are tasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shin black tofu green onion eggs sesame oil