Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Acute Grill posted:

During the heyday of Rage Critics, many were playing the persona of kinda dumb cartoon men but got bored of the schtick and moved on (see: James Rolfe) but there were also plenty of actual dumb cartoon men who could flourish in the same space until they tried to pivot to actual critique (see: Doug Walker)

Doug specifically was never really much of an actual critic, so much as a bad sketch comedian propping up his material with funny clips from bad movies. One of the things that really propelled him to fame was his review of Tommy Wiseau's The Room, and I think it's honestly kind of a microcosm of Doug's brand: Take clips from a bad media property that are already funny on their own and intercut them with your own over-acted negative reactions. It doesn't matter if Doug's material is actually good or not because the clips of the film he's showing are usually entertaining enough to trick the viewer into thinking Doug himself is adding something to the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Sephyr posted:

It really is.

Lame jokes aimed at elements that he failed to understand. Leaning negative because angry shouting man gets more clicks than liking stuff. Making the points about his own personal issues/opinions. And cowardly doing an 180 at the end and going "You know, it wasn't that bad, I see why people like it" just in case some of his audience like the source material enough to call out his bullshit.

dont forget shilling his lovely music which is probably the only reason he made the video in the first place

KingKalamari posted:

Doug specifically was never really much of an actual critic, so much as a bad sketch comedian propping up his material with funny clips from bad movies. One of the things that really propelled him to fame was his review of Tommy Wiseau's The Room, and I think it's honestly kind of a microcosm of Doug's brand: Take clips from a bad media property that are already funny on their own and intercut them with your own over-acted negative reactions. It doesn't matter if Doug's material is actually good or not because the clips of the film he's showing are usually entertaining enough to trick the viewer into thinking Doug himself is adding something to the experience.

imo its important to remember Doug doesnt want to be a reviewer and hates the Nostalgia Critic. what he really wants to be is a serious actor and comedian but lacks the talent to be either despite his many attempts at trying

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 1, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dont forget shilling his lovely music which is probably the only reason he made the video in the first place

imo its important to remember Doug doesnt want to be a reviewer and hates the Nostalgia Critic. what he really wants to be is a serious actor and comedian but lacks the talent to be either despite his many attempts at trying

https://m.facebook.com/channelawesome/videos/pbs-make-em-laugh-commercial-feat-doug-walker/1604106823183453/?extid=SEO----

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbf8YhTWEo

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
"lol so school sucks, grow a drat pair of balls."

THIS IS WHAT DOUG ACTUALLY BELIEVES

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

I tend to think Doug is just unable or unwilling to understand what any piece of art is, other than at the most superficial level. A second Ernest Cline.
He has no talent for interpreting art, true, but I don't think that's quite why this whole thing exists. Dan alluded to this a bit with his observations that Doug didn't seem to have a very strong opinion on The Wall beyond a mild dislike, and how it felt like Doug decided to make the video because he wanted to make a big musical production with an album based on a film musical, rather than out of any particular feelings for or connection to The Wall. Someone earlier in the thread made a screenshot of a comment that takes these points and brings them to their natural conclusion: it's pointless to talk about Doug as a critic because he doesn't "review" things in these videos, and hasn't for years. What he does is make Nostalgia Critic Content. This content has the same structure as his older reviews, and even contains some discussion of his personal opinions of a film, but expressing those opinions is not the purpose of the Content. Rather, the original work is to act as a creative prompt and unifying theme around which Doug can hang his comedic schtick. Making the musical review video was the point of Doug's project, not expressing any particular opinions about The Wall.

nine-gear crow posted:

This is Doug's approach to basically everything he produces for public consumption: Comedy* Uber Alles. Unfortunately, his sense of humor is bad and dumb, so his jokes suck and fall flat and he's the type of comedian who responds to a joke bombing by leaning even harder into it with a dab of attacking the audience for not laughing mixed in. He's also intellectually lazy and incurious and has just been coasting for a long rear end time.

His audience are just as big of intellectual derelicts as he is, that's why they're still watching him on the order 500k a video in 2021. Dan hit it right on the head in that Doug is trapped in a half-assed hell of his own making, but is too lazy to bother to try and break out of it and by improving himself because he just doesn't care.

The only thing I've ever seen him give an earnest poo poo about trying to actually properly understand and evaluate was Avatar: The Last Airbender and that was over half a decade ago now.
I've never actually looked at the analytics, but I have this theory that the Nostalgia Critic's primary audience these days is kids ages 9-13. They start watching funny screaming internet man in late elementary school, stick with him in the middle grades, and drop him in high school when either his schtick finally wears thin or one of their smarter friends tells them how lame he is. They go, while another cohort of 9 year-olds jumps on and the process repeats, akin to how superhero comics used to work. (Mind you I have absolutely no idea if kids even watch the sorts of videos he makes anymore or if they've moved on to streamers or whatever.)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Marshal Radisic posted:

I've never actually looked at the analytics, but I have this theory that the Nostalgia Critic's primary audience these days is kids ages 9-13. They start watching funny screaming internet man in late elementary school, stick with him in the middle grades, and drop him in high school when either his schtick finally wears thin or one of their smarter friends tells them how lame he is. They go, while another cohort of 9 year-olds jumps on and the process repeats, akin to how superhero comics used to work. (Mind you I have absolutely no idea if kids even watch the sorts of videos he makes anymore or if they've moved on to streamers or whatever.)

Bump up the ages from 16-17 and getting tired of him when you hit college, that that was mostly my experience.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dan cooking chicken nuggets is again in the "things I didn't know I needed" category.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Marshal Radisic posted:

Someone once described Pew Die Pies audience as "a revolving door of 12 year olds" (it actually may have been Dan Olsen who said that but I don't remember) and it wouldn't shock me if the same was true for Doug. It's gotta be. Every person I know who was a CA/NC fan isn't anymore and is actively embarrassed they ever watched him.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 2, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I would rather watch a video reenactment of one guy one jar than watch nc lmao

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

Bump up the ages from 16-17 and getting tired of him when you hit college, that that was mostly my experience.

Plus in my case I found better media criticism in post secondary than "TERRIBLE KIDS MOVIE RUINED MY CHILDHOOD" *bang bang explosion*

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I stopped watching him 9 years ago when I realised he wasn't doing a bit, that manchild-persona was the real deal.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Speaking of media criticism and good media criticism, this is a cool video from a black video essayist, F.D Signifier, about Dave Chappelle's stupid transphobic screed in his latest comedy special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S42DJr95Dfw

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Does he still have those two sidekicks who started cropping up in his skits after he 'rebooted' NC post-To Boldly Flee or did they get the axe/quit at some point?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Does he still have those two sidekicks who started cropping up in his skits after he 'rebooted' NC post-To Boldly Flee or did they get the axe/quit at some point?

Nope. They're still there last time I checked. I'd pity them if they didn't defend CA's horrible sexist victim blame-y response during CtC.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-Sy11mvZU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jamie Faith posted:

Someone once described Pew Die Pies audience as "a revolving door of 12 year olds" (it actually may have been Dan Olsen who said that but I don't remember) and it wouldn't shock me if the same was true for Doug. It's gotta be. Every person I know who was a CA/NC fan isn't anymore and is actively embarrassed they ever watched him.

people say this about pewdiepie but one time i said something about him in a bar to a friend about whatever recent nonsense he did, and a 20-something grown woman came over to me to tell me how i'd heard wrong from people who just want to cancel him and then pewdie-splained us for like 10 minutes and told us to give him another chance.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my mental image of that is killing me for some reason

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

did you get her number?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

how does she feel about bollywood tunes

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

A classic. You know Doug thought everyone there saw him as the coolest guy ever when in reality they probably just went "uh wtf?" then got back to work.

Ailumao posted:

people say this about pewdiepie but one time i said something about him in a bar to a friend about whatever recent nonsense he did, and a 20-something grown woman came over to me to tell me how i'd heard wrong from people who just want to cancel him and then pewdie-splained us for like 10 minutes and told us to give him another chance.
That's the cringest poo poo man, gently caress. If some stranger walked up to me and started going off about how some youtuber who says the N word is super cool and something something cancel culture, I'd probably just laugh in their face and walk away.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, every time Doug comes up I remember in the first iteration of this thread back when it was in PYF, probably around 2011 or so. Back then the thread consensus was that while Doug certainly wasn't the best internet reviewer around, people generally still liked at least some of his stuff, even post-Demo Reel. I distinctly remember his Odd Life of Timothy Green and Wicker Man reviews getting some positive vibes around here.

I forget if someone ITT or in a Youtube comment said it, but I feel like the best encapsulation of his decline is that internet comedy and Youtube video critiques have changed a lot since then, and Doug never really made an effort to catch up with the zeitgeist. Even thread favorites like Todd in the Shadows or Lindsay Ellis basically made the same types of videos back then, but unlike Doug they continued to hone their craft and get better and better over the years to the point where their current content is an entirely different animal.

I'm honestly curious as to what types of people still watch and enjoy new NC videos these days -- he got big during the random epic bacon monkeycheese internet vibe that was huge with teenagers and young adults of the time, and people of that same age in 2021 have *completely* different senses of humor. Is it still people who liked him in the early 2010s and are in their 30s now?

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Doug sucks so much he isn't even the biggest terrible film critic. CinemaSins are both much worse at everything attempted and way more popular.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgdbucX3nc

STEVE LIVES

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

ninjahedgehog posted:

Man, every time Doug comes up I remember in the first iteration of this thread back when it was in PYF, probably around 2011 or so. Back then the thread consensus was that while Doug certainly wasn't the best internet reviewer around, people generally still liked at least some of his stuff, even post-Demo Reel. I distinctly remember his Odd Life of Timothy Green and Wicker Man reviews getting some positive vibes around here.

Oh yeah! Its funny, I was looking at one of the older IP threads and saw people talking about how much fun Doug's latest NC review was and I felt like I fell into a wormhole that took me to an alternate reality or something. It's easy to forget how genuinely popular Doug was now that we're all grown up and know better.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm honestly curious as to what types of people still watch and enjoy new NC videos these days -- he got big during the random epic bacon monkeycheese internet vibe that was huge with teenagers and young adults of the time, and people of that same age in 2021 have *completely* different senses of humor. Is it still people who liked him in the early 2010s and are in their 30s now?

Like we said before, the world never runs out of 14 year old boys with too much time on their hands and easy access to the internet. Altho I once responded to a channel awesome tweet promoting Dougs NC video on Duckman and how it "destroys political correctness" and got a rabid NC fan on my rear end lol. This was after CtC happened and I just wrote something simple like "Cringe lol" and then some weirdo made like, a 4 tweet response to me about how cancel culture is cancer and what a pathetic soyboy sjw I am and how triggered/ownd I am by Doug. So I guess the reactionary man children with poo poo taste demographic still like him too

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of media criticism and good media criticism, this is a cool video from a black video essayist, F.D Signifier, about Dave Chappelle's stupid transphobic screed in his latest comedy special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S42DJr95Dfw

watched this when it premiered this afternoon

good stuff as always! i really like fiq's black media analysis series

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Speaking of that, this is Lady Emily's deep dive into Demo Reel, the failed attempt to escape the Nostalgia Critic and forced him to come crawling back after it crashed and burned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFIlUa6WYuM

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

Doug sucks so much he isn't even the biggest terrible film critic. CinemaSins are both much worse at everything attempted and way more popular.

Inversely, CinemaWins is infinitely better. It's not just "CimeaSins... but positive", the guy actually goes out of his way to examine the themes and imagery of each movie in explaining what he considers a "win". It's almost like a pointed gently caress you to its more popular antithesis channel.

stillvisions posted:

Speaking of that, this is Lady Emily's deep dive into Demo Reel, the failed attempt to escape the Nostalgia Critic and forced him to come crawling back after it crashed and burned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFIlUa6WYuM

And remember, THIS was Doug at his artistic apex, at his most freely creative and libertine, able to finally do anything he wanted in whatever way he truly saw fit with no constrains, and it was a half-assed pile of crap. And then it turned out that the central theme of the whole work, the message he wanted to convey with it, the weight he wanted to get off his soul and into a medium where it could be enjoyed by others was... "I'm upset that Elizabeth Hartman killed herself after working on The Secret of NIMH."

Okay. Like, it's a completely sincere expression, if you know anything about Doug, one of the few films he legitimately loves and actually understands is The Secret of NIMH--it's actually one of his few redeeming qualities. And Hartman's suicide casts an incredible shadow over it, one that Doug would no doubt feel legitimately upset over and would be driven to try and tackle in an artistic medium in order to try and process it. ...It's just that he's a loving shallow, talentless hack, so he stumbles over himself, shoots several other people in the foot trying to shoot himself in the foot, and does it in a way that comes off like he's just exploiting Hartman's death like the boneheads who made YIIK did with the death of Elisa Lam instead of trying to genuinely mourn it.

If The Wall is a deep dive into Doug's mind, Demo Reel is the deep dive into Doug's soul, and neither prove a pool worth swimming in for very long.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That Mandalore video is the gift that keeps on giving. I tracked down what appears to be a legit copy of the leaked script for the rest of the game and it sure loving takes some turns after chapter 1 alright.

Reading this might actually be bad for my mental health. Like I just had a hysterical laughing fit over nothing in particular after reading the part where Haze gets into an old-married-couple argument with the sister of a victim of one of the people he's killed, who spent 2 months impersonating a pedophile to trick him into meeting her and is now living in his house against his will to blackmail him into killing more pedophiles.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

That Mandalore video is the gift that keeps on giving. I tracked down what appears to be a legit copy of the leaked script for the rest of the game and it sure loving takes some turns after chapter 1 alright.

Reading this might actually be bad for my mental health. Like I just had a hysterical laughing fit over nothing in particular after reading the part where Haze gets into an old-married-couple argument with the sister of a victim of one of the people he's killed, who spent 2 months impersonating a pedophile to trick him into meeting her and is now living in his house against his will to blackmail him into killing more pedophiles.

i hope the success of mandalore's video spurs the creator on to finish the series

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
You want to know the really hosed part? That spoilered bit is from chapter 3. Chapter 2 is actually legitimately somewhat enjoyable. Like its still the same mix of cringe, melodrama and just, in general, weird poo poo you'd expect from the guy who wrote Anonymous Agony but its so much more tolerable seeing it all play out though the eyes of someone who acts like an actual human being instead of a cringe elemental. Like you have this big heartwarming ending about the healing power of positivity and friendship and then the first thing that happens in chapter 3 is Notacon hacking The Chip In Haze's Brain (don't worry everyone has one) so he can provide remote backup while the crazy Jesus axe-murder from the end of the chapter one chases him though the hospital.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

You want to know the really hosed part? That spoilered bit is from chapter 3. Chapter 2 is actually legitimately somewhat enjoyable. Like its still the same mix of cringe, melodrama and just, in general, weird poo poo you'd expect from the guy who wrote Anonymous Agony but its so much more tolerable seeing it all play out though the eyes of someone who acts like an actual human being instead of a cringe elemental. Like you have this big heartwarming ending about the healing power of positivity and friendship and then the first thing that happens in chapter 3 is Notacon hacking The Chip In Haze's Brain (don't worry everyone has one) so he can provide remote backup while the crazy Jesus axe-murder from the end of the chapter one chases him though the hospital.

wait that's in Chapter 3? because there's a trailer video that went up in like 2020 for The Next Game In The Anonymous Agony Franchise and the trailer was that scene

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I feel like there's definitely a plus for anything who does try and focus on the positive when it's there and talk about it, since purely negative videos often end up blowing the negative way out of proportion or just feel mean-spirited or clickbait now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jamie Faith posted:

So I guess the reactionary man children with poo poo taste demographic still like him too

I mean, Brad Jones is his best friend, yeah.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Alaois posted:

wait that's in Chapter 3? because there's a trailer video that went up in like 2020 for The Next Game In The Anonymous Agony Franchise and the trailer was that scene

I honestly don't know how much or if any of this poo poo will actually see the light of day and in what form, especially since this stuff is in the open now. Its a semi-public google doc (you can read and comment on it but only the owner can edit) and the original writer has apparently been making changes to it as early as yesterday. I can't find the video you're talking about but the fact that I apparently just described a scene from it verbatim despite never having seen it is frightening because it means this poo poo is more than just text on a word document.

I did find the creators youtube page and it looks like there's a trailer for part 6 (!?) in there buried between recordings of his video game streams and loving around with his pet dogs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also most of tweens and teens who age out of liking Doug's stuff age into liking content by people like The Critical Drinker, who's just as shallow, unfunny and toxic as The Nostalgia Critic only somehow even MORE insufferable with even less effort put into it than Doug can manage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Also most of tweens and teens who age out of liking Doug's stuff age into liking content by people like The Critical Drinker, who's just as shallow, unfunny and toxic as The Nostalgia Critic only somehow even MORE insufferable with even less effort put into it than Doug can manage.

I stumbled onto a Critical Drinker video once and it did take a second video to realize he was just part of the trash heap who were Very Upset About Captain Marvel Which Is To Say Brie Larson Is a Woman. He also talks like he's constipated, which I put down to the drinking.

On Doug, I did in fact as somebody mentioned above figure it was just shtick until he had that bout of reviewing movies "as himself" with his brother and no, he doesn't really get movies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I stumbled onto a Critical Drinker video once and it did take a second video to realize he was just part of the trash heap who were Very Upset About Captain Marvel Which Is To Say Brie Larson Is a Woman. He also talks like he's constipated, which I put down to the drinking.

To be fair, he also hates minorities, gay people, trans people, and anyone to the left of Joseph McCarthy politically. Guy's got a vast swath of things he gets drunkenly mad about and a legion of fans more than willing to brigade you into oblivion in order to be the first one in line to tell you that you just misunderstand him. Which... I guess is a valid defense, I've watched like five minutes of his stuff in total and the only words out of his mouth I think I understood were the pronouns and prepositions.

Dawgstar posted:

On Doug, I did in fact as somebody mentioned above figure it was just shtick until he had that bout of reviewing movies "as himself" with his brother and no, he doesn't really get movies.

Rob is definitely the better Movie Understander of the Brothers Walker and even he's a gobsmacking point-missing dipshit more often than he's not.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 2, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ailumao posted:

I've met someone adamant that all the claims about Vic Mignogna are false and people are just jealous of his success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've met someone adamant that all the claims about Vic Mignogna are false and people are just jealous of his success.

Vic's had an extremely rabid fanbase for actual decades by now, lot of people drank the koolaid on him.