Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I noticed the spookies were a lot more prevalent this morning. I wish the bags they dropped didn't weigh 1 each of whatever the weight unit is, I was wondering why I was so heavy until I noticed they weighed so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Sensenmann posted:

They disabled it on the PTS. I'm assuming they simply forgot to reenable it when they pushed the patch to the live servers. Not really surprised here.

At least they upped the Spooky Scorched spawn rates by an insane margin for today and tomorrow. I have so much ammo I might have to start dropping some. lol

All I get is cannonballs. The bubblegum is nice though

The mole miner event needs this type of spawn rate too. Man it is nice to actually run into these spawns.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 30, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Launchers or weapons with a Fusion/Plasma Core will only give you random ammo.

Switch to something like a Handmade or a Fixer to get in on the sweet .45/5.56 ammo hoarding. Or use a Railway Rifle to convert all those spikes into points at the weird rear end ammo machine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sensenmann posted:

Launchers or weapons with a Fusion/Plasma Core will only give you random ammo.

Switch to something like a Handmade or a Fixer to get in on the sweet .45/5.56 ammo hoarding. Or use a Railway Rifle to convert all those spikes into points at the weird rear end ammo machine.

I'm killing them with the gatling gun, but a 5mm drop never happens. It is the burden of a big guns user.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm killing them with the gatling gun, but a 5mm drop never happens. It is the burden of a big guns user.

The ammo in their inventory is completely random.

What matters is the weapon you have equipped when you open the Spooky Bags.

Also, 5mm is bugged and won't drop in the Daily OPs, it might be bugged for this event as well.

Prime your GG and you should be good, for some reason UC 5mm drops just fine.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 30, 2021

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

it's not

they hosed up and forgot to add it to the atomic store/menu, so you'll have to wai for beth do do a manual update

You have to admire Bethesda's commitment to going the extra mile at every step here. Specifically tying a reward to other player's actions is a terrible design decision successful MMO developers learned to avoid years ago, so Bethesda spiced things up by making the reward also bugged!

That's not to say making the player-run side of your seasonal event hinge on an object approximately half the size of a basketball in player houses that often have more clutter than a thrift store's intake isn't worthy of admiration, mind you. :discourse:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I have never had trouble finding the candy bowls. They have always been near a players vendor or on a table with an arrow pointing at it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I just finished the Raider main quest and I really enjoyed it, as well as Rose in Top of the World, it engaged me enough that I will probably start another character or two to try some other builds/visit some other content. I got to the Brotherhood questline and my immediate reaction was "lol gently caress these people" but I might give it another try with a different character :shrug:

Personal favorites were Gail and Ra Ra :kimchi:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

I just finished the Raider main quest and I really enjoyed it, as well as Rose in Top of the World, it engaged me enough that I will probably start another character or two to try some other builds/visit some other content. I got to the Brotherhood questline and my immediate reaction was "lol gently caress these people" but I might give it another try with a different character :shrug:

Personal favorites were Gail and Ra Ra :kimchi:

Do not start another character. Use the perk builder.

Or do it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Every time I consider starting a new character for whatever reason I'm reminded of just how awful the first couple dozen levels are and immediately ditch that idea again.

Playing without Marsupial or Speed Demon? gently caress that noise.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am never the kind of player in any of these games who grinds out the utterly maxed out perfect build, I am absolutely fine being suboptimal, thanks for the advice though :thumbsup:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

There's also a real joy to having legendary perks unlocked ASAP on your second character. Starting a level 1 unarmed guy with the explosive fist perk is stupid fun

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Starting out with the lockpicking/hacking LP and What Rads can really help the early game too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The legendary lockpick/hack is so drat useful I maxxed it out. That and the ammo one, so loving useful. Rest of my cards are just skill bumps.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I am never the kind of player in any of these games who grinds out the utterly maxed out perfect build, I am absolutely fine being suboptimal, thanks for the advice though :thumbsup:

It's fun to start over. High level QOL perks are nice but they also strip out a lot of the challenge and variety that you encounter with a new character.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The legendary lockpick/hack is so drat useful I maxxed it out.

I went the opposite route with my last character. Stopped worrying about lockpicking/hacking and never looked back.

Andenno fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 1, 2021

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The legendary lockpick/hack is so drat useful I maxxed it out.

How is it useful (other than in a silo, where its pretty evident how it can be useful)? I'm genuinely asking, did they buff the lockpick rewards? They were pretty crappy last time I checked, and alot of the plans that were part of their loot pool became widely accessible during the vendor update a couple of years ago.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just really hate picking locks or playing word match poo poo. It's enough of a nuisance to me that it's worth the time saved. I usually drop a nuke a few times a week anyhow.

I don't know that we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the legendary perk card, there's no buff to it besides just smash button open box/door/computer. I spent my perk coins on maxing it out so I could stop using the regular picklock and hacker cards.

E: Master Infiltrator legendary perk card

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 2, 2021

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I just really hate picking locks or playing word match poo poo. It's enough of a nuisance to me that it's worth the time saved. I usually drop a nuke a few times a week anyhow.

I don't know that we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the legendary perk card, there's no buff to it besides just smash button open box/door/computer. I spent my perk coins on maxing it out so I could stop using the regular picklock and hacker cards.

E: Master Infiltrator legendary perk card

They are asking if the rewards in locked poo poo are any better. My experience is, no they still don't really matter.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i flunked out posted:

How is it useful (other than in a silo, where its pretty evident how it can be useful)? I'm genuinely asking, did they buff the lockpick rewards? They were pretty crappy last time I checked, and alot of the plans that were part of their loot pool became widely accessible during the vendor update a couple of years ago.

there are a lot of alternate routes through areas that are gated behind a lockpick or hacking check, while you can obviously get through the content without doing these it lets you get to the cheese quicker, if you want. it's subjective but I agree the ability to skip the minigames is a tremendous plus, once you've done them a few hundred times they don't get more fun (especially hate the hacking minigame).

TyrsHTML posted:

They are asking if the rewards in locked poo poo are any better. My experience is, no they still don't really matter.

yeah I don't think the stuff behind locked containers is ever really good, that's a flaw with all of Bethesda's Fallout games, people lock 2 chunks of radroach meat behind a tier 3 lock

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've missed playing Nuclear Winter while singing along to James Taylor so much lately that I downloaded CoD Warzone again and have been subjecting people to my interpretations of Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily while I die repeatedly.

It's just not the same. :(

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1455669179365867524

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ehh, call me when they can fly and are branded with Chinese script and symbolism.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They'll be the basis for Chinese robots in Fallout: Outback, where within Ayers Rock is a Chinese listening post and forwarding base

Everyone within has of course long since been destroyed by the giant radioactive killer kangaroos who are in a war with the Emu and why there's so little human life here, at least until the secret vault opens up

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there's no equivalent to Fallout 4's Blitz perk in 76 is there?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

there's no equivalent to Fallout 4's Blitz perk in 76 is there?

No, but there's a small amount of zooming around in melee VATS, I'd say about half to one-third of the rank 1 Blitz perk. It might be tied to the servers, because sometimes I can fly a fair distance, but sometimes I get 0% when I'm all up in a scorcheds face.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I noticed that you can jump in something like 7 feet, I'm amazed they didn't just put Blitz in as is. guess they had some delusion about pvp balance :confused:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah I noticed that you can jump in something like 7 feet, I'm amazed they didn't just put Blitz in as is. guess they had some delusion about pvp balance :confused:

Trying to program it with player latency would've been far too much effort

I've already resigned myself to getting shot through walls by players with better ping than me, last thing I need is players deliberately being able to teleport around like Nightcrawler on steroids

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

so make it not work that way in pvp, it's not like there's a dozen other games out there that have flexible rule sets for this kind of thing.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Flesh Forge posted:

so make it not work that way in pvp, it's not like there's a dozen other games out there that have flexible rule sets for this kind of thing.

PvP was baked into the engine from day 1. There's still vestiges of it, too. For instance, you can still wreck other people's built objects with explosive splash damage and make yourself wanted even if you opted out of PvP.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

There are abilities that work in pve and not pvp, like Electric Absorption.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: walking around slowly punching things, once I got into Cannibal 3/Lead Belly 3 the game got super easy. Having things tilted towards XP (15 int, rank 3 of the XP perk) has really made things go pretty fast, plus the playstyle is very fast anyway - don't bother with stealth, just run around punching faces and sometimes gobbling up yummy corpses. F76 Cannibal is super OP compared to FO4. I started the character out wanting to get into power armor/heavy weapons but the equipment and skills for that poo poo unlock way too late so I just keep zipping around breaking faces, in a while I'll have the points required to just create a new build in one shot. It works but it feels very meta and I don't like it, I'd have preferred to grow into the gameplay from early on rather than this. I only need a gun for wall mounted turrets and just don't bother with scorchbeasts at all.

huge plus, you don't really need special gear at all, just a mole miner claw or power fist or deathclaw gauntlet or whatever, and some random armor I guess :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 5, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I genuinely miss the days when you could stack damage so high that a single hit from my Bloodied Power Fist could end the Queen. Melee used to be so OP that Legacy users cried during Scorched Earth because the damned dirty Melee builds stole their thunder. It was glorious. Extremely silly and OP but glorious. :D

Melee suffered, by far, the most from the One Wasteland nerf. It's still fun to run around punching poo poo into a red paste but it's no longer an actual viable option for the boss fights.

Having said that, it's refreshing to see someone not going down the meta road and discovering the ups and downs of the various builds themselves. :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

have never been a fan of following anybody else's build guides, aside from the fact that almost all of them are complete gibberish anyway.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

have never been a fan of following anybody else's build guides, aside from the fact that almost all of them are complete gibberish anyway.
The Fallout 76 meta has been pretty consistent since the game's launch, because builds based on Unyielding armor are so clearly superior to everything else that there's really no comparison. With regards to maximizing XP gains, that build has a permanent +15 to all stats at all times, providing +30% XP from the extra INT before considering consumables, perk cards, or public teams.

It's just so clearly OP, and has gone so long without being balanced, that it's something that most of the game's remaining player base takes for granted as mandatory (similar to mutations like Speed Demon & Marsupial).

Obviously there's no obligation to use any specific build, but I would definitely encourage trying it out if you have access to the appropriate armor. It's such a night & day difference compared to anything else.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
The main problem with most build guides is that they are min/maxed down to armor and mutations.

The right mutations for, let's say a Melee build, are most certainly the wrong ones for a Ballistic/Energy weapon user.

The armor suggestion, for a Melee build, will most certainly be Unyielding Sentinel with +1 Strength or Overeaters Sentinel with +1 Strength. On top of that, it has to be Thorn Armor (Unyielding) or Solar Armor (Overeaters).
Someone did the math and, statistically speaking, it will take way over a year to roll a complete set.

Needless to say, a min/max build doesn't have any QoL perks so, in case of Melee, you better play this on a character without any ammo on them because there is no room for Bandolier and/or Batteries Included.

Min/maxing in FO76 is silly, especially since One Wasteland dropped.

As long as you have Tenderizer and Adrenaline, not necessarily max rank for the latter, you'll do just fine with just about any build.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
As for XP gain:

That's a good point but it depends entirely on your level.

At the level Flesh Forge is, it's good to level up fast to get more perk cards and coins.

At my level, I'm guessing roughly 1200 levels above theirs, such a thing as fast levelling up does simply not exist. :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Discospawn posted:

The Fallout 76 meta has been pretty consistent since the game's launch, because builds based on Unyielding armor are so clearly superior to everything else that there's really no comparison. With regards to maximizing XP gains, that build has a permanent +15 to all stats at all times, providing +30% XP from the extra INT before considering consumables, perk cards, or public teams.

It's just so clearly OP, and has gone so long without being balanced, that it's something that most of the game's remaining player base takes for granted as mandatory (similar to mutations like Speed Demon & Marsupial).

Obviously there's no obligation to use any specific build, but I would definitely encourage trying it out if you have access to the appropriate armor. It's such a night & day difference compared to anything else.

I can see the math, sure, but maybe you've forgotten what a massive time commitment it is to grind all that poo poo out for a new player, everything is throttled. 1 day of scrip = 1 equipment roll.

Sensenmann posted:

The main problem with most build guides is that they are min/maxed down to armor and mutations.

yeah these are meaningless and unhelpful to a player who doesn't have gigantic piles of currency already. they're not even guides, they're just a shopping list.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
New ITV

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3vVlHVYdidZRWpy1IZi3gl/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-fallout-1st-limited-preview-and-weekend

For those wondering, after the 1st trial is over you can't put stuff into the scrap box any longer but you can still access it and take stuff out of it.

Fill it with as much scrap as you can find. Drop caps on Vendor bots to buy bulk junk. Ask a friend with 1st for a "donation".

Note that Stable Flux can be put into the scrapbox so this might be the perfect opportunity to stock up on it.

Rest of the ITV is the usual hype about Double Mutations weekends for Daily OPs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sensenmann posted:

New ITV

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3vVlHVYdidZRWpy1IZi3gl/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-fallout-1st-limited-preview-and-weekend

For those wondering, after the 1st trial is over you can't put stuff into the scrap box any longer but you can still access it and take stuff out of it.

Fill it with as much scrap as you can find. Drop caps on Vendor bots to buy bulk junk. Ask a friend with 1st for a "donation".

Note that Stable Flux can be put into the scrapbox so this might be the perfect opportunity to stock up on it.

Rest of the ITV is the usual hype about Double Mutations weekends for Daily OPs.

I've grown to hate double mutations. I either get vaporous or clouded toxins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I can see the math, sure, but maybe you've forgotten what a massive time commitment it is to grind all that poo poo out for a new player, everything is throttled. 1 day of scrip = 1 equipment roll.
My point was that the you should focus on getting an Unyielding set, which is a 1-star effect. You definitely shouldn't be gambling on 3-star armor pieces until you get a 1-star set you are happy with. Similarly, there's no reason to worry about min-maxing specific mutations, the optimal play is to acquire all of them and use Class Freak and Strange in Numbers to get a ridiculous amount of stats/utility in exchange for a couple perk cards.

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah these are meaningless and unhelpful to a player who doesn't have gigantic piles of currency already. they're not even guides, they're just a shopping list.
That's... pretty much all Fallout 76 has to offer in terms of builds. The only way you personalize your character is by changing:
-your SPECIAL distribution and perk card layout (which becomes trivial once you unlock all of them)
-the legendary effects on the armor and guns you equip (which mostly only come from RNG sources)

Mr Hootington posted:

I've grown to hate double mutations. I either get vaporous or clouded toxins.
But think of the extra rewards! (note: extra rewards not actually implemented)