Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don’t know many pokemon so I was going to say he should be some kind of bear pokemon but really he’s more of a :psyduck: when it comes to getting the job done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Top three gyoji forced to cosplay as Ash, Misty and Brock for senshuraku.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
wonder which philosophy will come out on top - the bright eyed optimistic playfulness of pokemon or the organisation that is anti-fun.

did ash ever throw a pokemon into a fight that was all hosed up and then removed them from his starting line up when they obviously died instantly? it's been a few decades.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also how chiyomaru didn't get the snorlax comparison baffles me. one of his most famous photos is him sleeping for crying out loud

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The thing is Ichinojo sleeps when he's in the ring.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Marching Powder posted:

also how chiyomaru didn't get the snorlax comparison baffles me. one of his most famous photos is him sleeping for crying out loud

Chiyomaru has lots of options but consider

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i only know gen 1 pokemon :(

however sleeping fat owl is analogous so that's cool.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I'd probably reinstall Pokémon go if I could track down a wild Tobizaru and throw balls at him.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Marching Powder posted:

i only know gen 1 pokemon :(

however sleeping fat owl is analogous so that's cool.

whatup Gen 1 buddy

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Elissimpark posted:

Top three gyoji forced to cosplay as Jesse, James Musashi, Kojiro, and Meowth for senshuraku.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Elissimpark posted:

Top three gyoji forced to cosplay as Ash, Misty and Brock for senshuraku.

That would be hilarious, I expect it will be a tasteful PokeBall patterned robe though.

Edit: Although it would be cool to vary ball type by gyoji rank, with the highest ranked one getting Master Ball patterned.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 29, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The yobidashi can wear the Ball Guy outfit

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Meowth, that's right!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Referees are obviously farfetch'd, using their leek to point to the winner

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I thought I was done but I'm back on my tegata bullshit for a very special boy. Hopefully it'll arrive in time for the next basho.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

I thought I was done but I'm back on my tegata bullshit for a very special boy. Hopefully it'll arrive in time for the next basho.

Do your thing girl. No judgement here. Who is it?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shiroc posted:

* A very suprised Shota Hattori is accosted by masked assailants who ink his hand and force it on to a piece of card before vanishing into the night...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I really have much, much more important things to do but:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Elissimpark posted:

* A very suprised Shota Hattori is accosted by masked assailants who ink his hand and force it on to a piece of card before vanishing into the night...

Lol

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Elissimpark posted:

lol

Marching Powder posted:

Do your thing girl. No judgement here. Who is it?

Its Terunofuji in red with his yokozuna stamps

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I decided to write this up instead of doing any of my other tasks for the day.

Shiroc's Guide To Sumo Tegata
Realizing that information about tegata is really, really hard to come by on the English language internet and my own posts about them come up on Google, I wanted to write up everything that I have learned to try to put it all into one place. I've done by best to be accurate but as I am an American who can't read any Japanese and only know a token handful of spoken words, some of this might be wrong.

What is a tegata?
A tegata is the traditional way for a sumo wrestler to write an autograph, which consist of their inked handprint and shikona (ring name) written calligraphically. With variations of material in the past, modern tegata are all on white paper boards called shikishi. They're 9.5" w x 10.75" h with a small gold border around all sides.

Framed tegata of former sekiwake Aoiyama showing his handprint and shikona

The handprint can be in either red or black ink, with red more common historically and black more recently. The name is always written in black ink.

The particular hand a wrestler uses is up to them. I personally have seen mostly right hands. Occasionally I have seen (separate) pieces where a wrestler used different ones. In the case of Tochinoshin, I've only ever seen his left hand, which makes sense because his left hand grip is legendary. Who cares about his right?

Former ozeki Tochinoshin's incredibly inky and splattered tegata

What are those extra stamps?
When a wrestler gets to the top two ranks, they get to put extra stamps on their tegata. These stamps are written using special 'seal script' which has the Japanese characters modified slightly to be more legible when used on hanko stamps.

Former ozeki Takayasu's tegata and an ozeki era tegata from yokozuna Kisenosato

On these ozeki tegata and Tochinoshin's above, you can see how they have similar stamps. The top right stamp simply says 'Ozeki.' The bottom left has their name and I think some other piece of information but my inability to read Japanese means I don't know what. The left side looks similar on Takayasu's and Kisenosato's but the first character is different.

Closeup on Takayasu's and Kisenosato's lower left stamps

On a yokozuna tegata, the upper right stamp changes to one that says 'The most powerful man.' In addition they get an extra stamp above the name that indicates which number yokozuna they are.

Yokozuna Hakuho's tegata, with the extra stamps to indicate he was the 69th yokozuna

Who can make tegata?
Like many things in sumo, tegata are a privilege only for wrestlers in the top two divisions. Interestingly, they are also no longer allowed to make them after retirement. (Not that they presumably couldn't still get the materials to make rogue ones if they really wanted but it would be a bad look.)

Sadly this does mean that there are no above board Hattorizakura tegata in the world.

How can I get a tegata?
While printed tegata, which don't seem to ever show the extra rank stamps, are cheap and easy to get, authentic tegata are a bit harder to get. Wrestlers are strictly not allowed to sell them and tegata are only meant to be given as gifts to their supporters. However, those recipients are allowed to sell them and there is a thriving internet trade. They can be fairly expensive depending on the age, quality and whose tegata they are. Rarity can come into play as well, with a non-yokozuna stamped Hakuho often selling for more than the much more common yokozuna era ones. If you're willing to go the ebay route from sellers in Japan you can get them cheaper. Even at premium prices with authentication (such as it is), most active or recently retired wrestlers I've seen can be gotten for <$300.

Conclusion
Tegata are cool pieces of sumo memorabilia and can be genuinely gorgeous art pieces too. I hope this post gives some more knowledge and appreciation for them. This page has additional information and fun videos showing wrestlers actually making them: https://tachiai.org/2019/04/21/tegata-a-piece-of-sumo-tradition/.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

That is a badass post!!!

I bought a Hakuho off of John Gunning a while back, but haven't gotten it framed yet. I'd still like to pick up a Shohozan too.

That splattered Tochinoshin is the coolest one I've seen!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I never knew I needed a Tochinoshin tegata until now

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

good poo poo

there's a new forum for goons who collect stuff that would probably really appreciate this post too. might be too esoteric for its own thread but needs to at least be in the general one. they really are very cool.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It is time, the banzuke is upon us;

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Tourney itself starts in two weeks, on the 14th.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

good to see abi back in top division. amazing value for the M11+ category but i won't pick him first because i want to back kaisei who will be fighting for against demotion.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

If Takayasu's feeling healthy he should absolutely tear the arse out of M5

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Some real bad performances out of some old faves in the rank and file coming up.

Ichinojo, Endo, Ishiura, Mitakeumi. Those guys are gonna stink it up this basho imo.

Meanwhile, Abi is gonna tear some dudes up after that rise back from the depths.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:lol: this is going to take some time to get used to

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Martytoof posted:

:lol: this is going to take some time to get used to

Wonder if the gyoji writing out the banzuke was halfway through before someone was like "Hakuho retired, dude."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
OK I think I got my Tochinoshin out. I will always love him but who do I root for now? I love rooting for non Japanese sumo but I don't see anyone out there.

Well there is always Endo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can hop on the Takayasu train. Japanese but half Filipino I believe?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Going to start supporting Tatsunami's new jonokuchi guy, just for his shikona:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Apraxin posted:

Going to start supporting Tatsunami's new jonokuchi guy, just for his shikona:

Don't sleep on Shohazan's buddy at East Jonokuchi #11.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If Gaia isn't absolutely gigantic, I think the sumo association should force him to change names.

Marching Powder posted:

there's a new forum for goons who collect stuff that would probably really appreciate this post too. might be too esoteric for its own thread but needs to at least be in the general one. they really are very cool.

I cross posted it to the general sports memorabilia thread I started (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982065) to try to see if it can get any traction.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Shiroc posted:

If Gaia isn't absolutely gigantic, I think the sumo association should force him to change names.

He's listed as 174cm (enho is 168cm), 70kg, but he's like 16 years old so he's still got growing to do.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

good to see abi back in top division. amazing value for the M11+ category but i won't pick him first because i want to back kaisei who will be fighting for against demotion.

abi family trivia

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1456202156885880835

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, imagine having a family and having a job that’s like “yeah no you’re not living there for now”.

Culture, tradition, etc. Not my intent or place to criticize, but that’s super hard for me to hear.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Also from the sounds of it willingly not parenting your kid for longer to reclaim your wrassling honour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Turns out the Abi is a gangly Goku. Ignores his kids for fight. Doesn't do the right thing about a virus he was warned about. He's just not powerful enough.