Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr Darcy posted:

An anime style show.

Don't know if it was a series or a movie. Or ever a series butchered into a movie for the western audience.

It was about space pirates, I don't 'think' it was Captain Harlock related though.

All I remember is a spaceship gets attacked by a pirate ship - skull and crossbones painted on it's nose which fires missiles into the target which penetrate the target's hull and release a gas that paralyses/freezes the target ship's crew. Then the pirates board wearing possibly armoured space suits and search the target for something. I remember one or more of them chatting to or commenting to the frozen crew of the target while they searched.

Would have been available in the UK, either having been shown on TV or on video, probably late 80s or early 90s.

The missiles pumping freeze gas into the ship, followed by space-suited boarders ransacking the ship, is straight out of the first episode of Space Pirate Captain Harlock (1978):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anOZZA88XEU&t=674s

I'm not saying it's impossible some other show did it, but your description of that scene is almost spot-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I have another request:

Years ago, in the old Laissez's Faire (LF) forum, there were a couple of memes going around:

Riffs on a terrible FEMA coloring book, as lampooned in this front-page article

and

A widely-derided propaganda chart showing some bullshit correlation between gun ownership and violence rates (I think), which was known as the "gun chart"

At one point someone mashed these together; the below image was edited:

only, instead of a crudely-rendered tornado and a "good kid award" ribbon, it was instead the gun chart in the background and the kid was wearing a "gun chart award" ribbon.

Does anyone still have this? I think I once managed to find the thread in LF again some time ago, but many of the image links had since died.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The missiles pumping freeze gas into the ship, followed by space-suited boarders ransacking the ship, is straight out of the first episode of Space Pirate Captain Harlock (1978):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anOZZA88XEU&t=674s

I'm not saying it's impossible some other show did it, but your description of that scene is almost spot-on.

Yup. That looks about right.

Case closed.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I have another request:

Years ago, in the old Laissez's Faire (LF) forum, there were a couple of memes going around:

Riffs on a terrible FEMA coloring book, as lampooned in this front-page article

and

A widely-derided propaganda chart showing some bullshit correlation between gun ownership and violence rates (I think), which was known as the "gun chart"

At one point someone mashed these together; the below image was edited:

only, instead of a crudely-rendered tornado and a "good kid award" ribbon, it was instead the gun chart in the background and the kid was wearing a "gun chart award" ribbon.

Does anyone still have this? I think I once managed to find the thread in LF again some time ago, but many of the image links had since died.

Is it this?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm laughing at it just looking

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a Canadian/British science fiction budget/made for TV movie from the 70's/80's that I saw when I was just a little kid. Key characteristics:

- Two dudes in the pilot and co pilot seats drinking a green liquid, and the running joke is that it's actually windshield wiper fluid.

- A villain with wings for arms who is very sensitive about it, and shows off his dexterity by playing the violin.

- May or may not have had SCTV cast members Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis.

- A female actress I remember nothing about.

I found the movie I was looking for! John Candy's Rocket Boy from 1989. Man, that was a lot later than I thought.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Yo, I've been trying to find this punk band, and I cannot remember their name. I remember enjoying the record immensely, found it on some blogspot warez fileshare thing, and probably lost it 15 years ago.

The band name was some sort of like "(insert pacific island) boys", or "(insert pacific island) punks", some sort of island and I'm sure if that came to me I could remember it and find them. I cannot remember for the life of me and it bugs me every once in a while. They were fairly esoteric and were from the early 80's, the rip i had was crap. It is not Samoan Punks or Angry Samoans.

Also if anyone has a good listing of lovely shareware rpgs on windows/dos from the early 90's, I'd love to pore through it, been trying to find a game i remember almost nothing about I played on my dad's laptop. He got it from some "100 games in one!" floppy disk collection and I played it on his super early laptop, which was like magic back then. I still remember how they let you play the 1st level then wanted $30 to keep going and my Dad was not amenable to that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A music video set on a space station or space ship. Green (or other?) skinned girls. Don't even remember the genre

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shelley posted:

Is it this?

Yes! Thank you!!

lmbo

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Milo and POTUS posted:

A music video set on a space station or space ship. Green (or other?) skinned girls. Don't even remember the genre

Could it be the video for No Scrubs by TLC??

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Milo and POTUS posted:

The music video for Doja Cat's "Need To Know" has her playing some green alien lady in a Blade Runner-esque city, could be that

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

spouse posted:

Also if anyone has a good listing of lovely shareware rpgs on windows/dos from the early 90's, I'd love to pore through it, been trying to find a game i remember almost nothing about I played on my dad's laptop. He got it from some "100 games in one!" floppy disk collection and I played it on his super early laptop, which was like magic back then. I still remember how they let you play the 1st level then wanted $30 to keep going and my Dad was not amenable to that.

There are over 3,000 shareware CD-ROM disc images on the Internet Archive. If you remember anything about this game, you can search within that collection to narrow down your hunt.

I know CD-ROMs seem like they're overshooting the "early 90s" mark, but a lot of that software was churned and re-churned to pad out compilations for a long time. But here's MS-DOS shareware if that helps.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
There was a text image I read on here a few years ago, I think in one of the pyf awkward/ugly/gross threads or maybe idiots on social media.

It was a screenshot of a forum post by a teenage boy who was angry at his sister for *something* but was really bad at articulating himself and nobody could get to the bottom of what he was so angry about. I remember one part of it being that his sister went swimming and had to get her hair wet?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 2, 2021

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Tea Bone posted:

There was a text image I read on here a few years ago, I think in one of the pyf awkward/ugly/gross threads or maybe idiots on social media.

It was a screenshot of a forum post by a teenage boy who was angry at his sister for *something* but was really bad at articulating himself and nobody could get to the bottom of what he was so angry about. I remember one part of it being that his sister went swimming and had to get her hair wet?

Did anyone know what I'm talking about?

she did the thing where girls put their hair up like they are putting in a pony tail but she didn't

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sid Vicious posted:

she did the thing where girls put their hair up like they are putting in a pony tail but she didn't

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Enderzero posted:

Looking for a screencap of a facebook post. It was a guy, named Charlie I think, who posts in all caps about riding his atv or dirt bike. And then his wife responds sweetly that they could be riding it together. And the guy basically responds with SEX or BOOBS or something and she tries to keep up with him and he blurts out the all timer YOU MY WIFE and she says yes I’m your wife, Charlie??

out side rideing my four wheeler

his earlier work, wish it was wram to go cmaping, seems to have been scrubbed from the internet.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Tea Bone posted:

This was talked about in the last couple weeks in PYF in the Sagas thread probably, I guarantee it'll come up if you do a search

e: i may be overestimating the capabilities of the search function - however, it absolutely came up recently in the SA Sagas thread. look, or i will, because i cannot let anything go

ee: I was wrong in my previous link. This is the text of the original 4chan post, I think.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 2, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tea Bone posted:

Google “never thought my mom could stoop so low.”

I don’t think it was ever clearly established what the sister did or why it made the kid angry. After dozens of posts, it is established that the kid was taken to get his body fat percentage estimated by being lowered into a vat of water.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Blood Nightmaster posted:

The music video for Doja Cat's "Need To Know" has her playing some green alien lady in a Blade Runner-esque city, could be that

Yup this it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Google “never thought my mom could stoop so low.”

I don’t think it was ever clearly established what the sister did or why it made the kid angry. After dozens of posts, it is established that the kid was taken to get his body fat percentage estimated by being lowered into a vat of water.

I believe the kid writing the post is autistic.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember reading that post ages ago and at the time it made no sense at all to me. Horrifyingly reading it again I almost see the foundation of his complaint, that this was all very annoying for him yet his sister was all casual and got to enjoy it. The "you know how they go to put their hair up but don't really put it up" part is still mystifying though

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I thought that meant like, pulling your hair up into a ponytail but just holding it there rather than tying it up.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I remember reading that post ages ago and at the time it made no sense at all to me. Horrifyingly reading it again I almost see the foundation of his complaint, that this was all very annoying for him yet his sister was all casual and got to enjoy it. The "you know how they go to put their hair up but don't really put it up" part is still mystifying though

god help me I found it and I'm reading it too. But I'm also picturing the whole thread occurring at the Terrorist spawn point of Dust2, with all the replies coming through with the radio headset voice. The OP is by himself on the CT side, speaking into his mic in a monotone.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Maybe a half-ponytail, where you grab your hair, pull it through a rubber band, but don't pull the hair all the way through? That way you get a knob of hair that stays out of the water, but it isn't really a ponytail? IDK.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

mystifying though

It's an expected routine/behavior form that doesn't end as OP expects. This mystifies OP. Why start the routine, but not complete it?

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Quarex posted:

Kids on the spectrum can get very upset if somebody else likes a thing they have convinced themselves is not-likable. I've seen one kid get worked up about another kid putting hot sauce on their own food.

In this case it was sister not being annoyed about having to get in some water after she had already done the harrowing experience of taking a shower.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"More about the hair:

She skipped the shower around noon. As said same goes with me. Then we took the underwater tests. My sister had to wear tight pants and a sports bra, so she enjoyed every minute of going underwater. Before that she tried to put her hair up but she wasn't allowed to. The doctor said no. So she did to her hair like what I see when I go down to the YMCA and see where girls pretend to pull their hair back."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

More vaguely remembered and can't place than been trying hard to find, but:

Artwork of a young woman in a convertible. She's not conventionally attractive, but the whole image gives off a very happy and carefree vibe. It's quite colorful. Artist may have a Spanish name, and I vaguely seem to recall she's a character he features in various drawings.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kzin602 posted:

Kids on the spectrum can get very upset if somebody else likes a thing they have convinced themselves is not-likable. I've seen one kid get worked up about another kid putting hot sauce on their own food.

Why assume he was on the spectrum? Maybe he was just dumb and bad at words like most teenage boys.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The hair thing is he doesn't like getting wet or wearing tight clothing but somewhat understands that other people sometimes like wearing tight clothes and going into water. He has somehow picked up that when people with long hair are getting in water in the "bad" way they tend to hold their hair up out of the way, but when they're getting in water in the mysterious "fun" way they don't. She wasn't allowed lift her hair out of the way therefore she must have enjoyed herself.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Splicer posted:

The hair thing is he doesn't like getting wet or wearing tight clothing but somewhat understands that other people sometimes like wearing tight clothes and going into water. He has somehow picked up that when people with long hair are getting in water in the "bad" way they tend to hold their hair up out of the way, but when they're getting in water in the mysterious "fun" way they don't. She wasn't allowed lift her hair out of the way therefore she must have enjoyed herself.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

MarioOnTheComputer posted:

his earlier work, wish it was wram to go cmaping, seems to have been scrubbed from the internet.

Just as good as I remember. Bless you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MarioOnTheComputer posted:

The time stamps add a certain something

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

hexwren posted:

• A game book, published before 1994. Your standard sort of dungeon crawler. I don't recall the title, obviously enough, or much of the actual game mechanics, though there were mechanics. The setting was some kind of harbor town where unpleasant things were happening. You could pick up a wine bottle fairly early on in your adventure. If you drank from it, you died, because it had turned to vinegar. I want to say there were unpleasant humanoid seaweed monsters about. The winning path definitely led through the sewers.

I think this one of the Golden Dragon gamebooks, The Eye Of The Dragon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FishMist posted:

That had unpleasant humanoid coral monsters which looked pretty seaweedy:

https://vintagerpg.tumblr.com/post/182076373664/all-right-here-we-go-the-eye-of-the-dragon-my

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

You Are A Elf posted:

A stand up comedian was singing a tune set to “What A Wonderful World” about nuclear war and the ensuing fallout that went something like: “I see trees of purple, skies of red, see the little boy over there with a foot growing out of his head, and I think to myself…”

This was most likely a Comedy Central special some time in the early 2000s. That song has stuck with me through the years for some reason, and I’d like to know the comedian that sang it.

Oddly enough this is almost exactly how you describe but he's not a comedian. Maybe you heard this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HCksdQiLI

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

FishMist posted:

This is absolutely it. The reason I missed it earlier in the huge stack of gamebook scans I downloaded years ago is because the scan had a different cover and I just blew past it, the one in that blog post is the version I had. Thanks, folx!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

hexwren posted:

This is absolutely it. The reason I missed it earlier in the huge stack of gamebook scans I downloaded years ago is because the scan had a different cover and I just blew past it, the one in that blog post is the version I had. Thanks, folx!

Those illustrations are badass.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A Youtube video of a very large woman sitting and eating a turkey with a knife and fork. With a very strong New England accent she tells the camera to sit down with her "But we'll be short a chaih" (camera then shows the kitchen chair straining to hold her weight). My dad and I used to laugh a bit about this video years back but I can't find it now.

An SA thing from olden times. I asked PYF and they didn't seem to remember: A skinny, somewhat bemused guy in a military uniform on his wedding day with a rotund, not-all-that-pretty bride. There were photoshops where someone made a skinnier, slightly prettier version of the bride from the perspective of someone "with beer goggles" and then an unaltered picture of the bride "the day after". It was mean spirited but one of the earliest SA-related things I remember. Can't find any proof of it on the forums now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

eating only apples posted:

This was talked about in the last couple weeks in PYF in the Sagas thread probably, I guarantee it'll come up if you do a search

e: i may be overestimating the capabilities of the search function - however, it absolutely came up recently in the SA Sagas thread. look, or i will, because i cannot let anything go

ee: I was wrong in my previous link. This is the text of the original 4chan post, I think.

You don't get the full effect without all the other bewildered commenters trying to figure out what he's saying.