Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They had to have been holding on to that name and let him use it, right? No way there wouldn't have been another Hironobu Sakaguchi otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Loving his lala pally FF1 knight amano concept art glam.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Waffleman_ posted:

They had to have been holding on to that name and let him use it, right? No way there wouldn't have been another Hironobu Sakaguchi otherwise

Looks like there are 14 other players with that name or a variation of it. This appears to be his character: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/39918658/#profile

Literally no job levelled (or even unlocked) but PLD. Guy is cruising through the MSQ.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

You know I never really thought of it until just now but the Ondo in Anamnesis Anyder summon monsters by channeling aether directly into concept crystals. I wonder how many of those things still work? They're all over the place in the tower in Mare Lamentorum and in that one cool mixed-biome dungeon they showed off.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chillgamesh posted:

You know I never really thought of it until just now but the Ondo in Anamnesis Anyder summon monsters by channeling aether directly into concept crystals. I wonder how many of those things still work? They're all over the place in the tower in Mare Lamentorum and in that one cool mixed-biome dungeon they showed off.

Presumably the ones on the moon are more likely to be intact than the ones that were on the bottom of the ocean for a thousand years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HackensackBackpack posted:

Looks like there are 14 other players with that name or a variation of it. This appears to be his character: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/39918658/#profile

Literally no job levelled (or even unlocked) but PLD. Guy is cruising through the MSQ.

Yeah, the full Exarchic set also points to him just bulldozing MSQ

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/rwilkes94/status/1454160340267249664?s=21

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I almost can't believe that scene with Alisae, Estinian and Graha is real

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the full Exarchic set also points to him just bulldozing MSQ

I hope he at least does Seat of Sacrifice Ex to get the sword and shield to complete his Warrior of Light glamour.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I almost can't believe that scene with Alisae, Estinian and Graha is real

It’s just the perfect moment of three dumbasses individually putting their foots in their mouths and I love them all.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

It is done.

https://twitter.com/auuo/status/1454665445416468481

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If there is ever another time travel story, I'm using that pic for a "Safety Not Guaranteed" meme.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

If there is ever another time travel story, I'm using that pic for a "Safety Not Guaranteed" meme.

I HAVE ONLY DONE THIS ONCE BEFORE

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Idly contemplating the possibility of, instead of WoL and Zenos inhabiting Hydaelyn and Zodiark as Primal Mecha, Venat commandeering the empty Zodiark in an attempt to reseal the threat, and so a potential fight with Crystal Mom is more about rejecting another delay with the inevitable, making Zodiark-Hydaelyn the penultimate boss in that manner. It's a big blowout, endgame can have multiple a 90 trials, as a treat.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Have they ever discussed who Zenos got the echo from?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No one we know but any number of test subjects.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

It's implied he's always had it, at least in a limited form, and that his Resonant power is just him getting extra juiced up to be closer to a proper Ascian. I think they would've mentioned if his Echo template came from anyone special.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirPhoebos posted:

Yeah, Krile.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh dang yeah

I'll be honest I assumed he got it as part of the Resonant process but him constantly hotboxing visions of the End of Days from birth meant that he probably had some sort of thing going on beforehand.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This edible ain't poo poo

*Thirty minutes later*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxR97bgF-Q

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Emet-Selch wants to throw everyone in the soul blender for a Rejoining and everyone sympathizes with him but no one sympathizes with Zenos when he throws everyone in the soul blender for HIS Rejoining :mad:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Begemot posted:

Yeah, Krile.

Fordola did, but we don't know about Zenos.

And what Zenos had prior doesn't seem like the echo, per se, but the opposite. He's always had images of the end of days. But said images didn't seem to unlock anything.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

And what Zenos had prior doesn't seem like the echo, per se, but the opposite. He's always had images of the end of days. But said images didn't seem to unlock anything.

I think the implication is that he had the Echo, but that whatever the flaw was in the Garlean genome that made them unable to use magic prevented him from taking it further.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Speaking of Garleans and how they're magically mute, has it been hinted anywhere that the Garleans might have been bioengineered by the Allagans the same way the Ixal were? I feel like I've read this somewhere before

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xarbala posted:

This edible ain't poo poo

*Thirty minutes later*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxR97bgF-Q

I Shoulda Never Smoke That poo poo Now Im At The End of Days

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Chillgamesh posted:

Speaking of Garleans and how they're magically mute, has it been hinted anywhere that the Garleans might have been bioengineered by the Allagans the same way the Ixal were? I feel like I've read this somewhere before

The Garlean ancestors were contemporaries with Allag.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chillgamesh posted:

Emet-Selch wants to throw everyone in the soul blender for a Rejoining and everyone sympathizes with him but no one sympathizes with Zenos when he throws everyone in the soul blender for HIS Rejoining :mad:
Emet-Selch has personality traits

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Garlean's forerunners were the Gougans. They abandoned the city after Ramza (the original) got in a scrap there in Ivalice's heyday and haywire TECHNOLOGY tore the place apart and sucked most of the place into an extra-planar rift (this is how you go up from the Lighthouse into Goug in the raid), and gradually pushed northwards to find a new place to call home since they'd always had poor magical aptitude despite their technological prowess, making them fairly easy pickings for other races when they don't have the benefits of a built-up store of gadgets to work with.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nessus posted:

Emet-Selch has personality traits

"Suffers from terminal ennui unless fighting powerful enemies" is a personality trait.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sweet geek swag posted:

"Suffers from terminal ennui unless fighting powerful enemies" is a personality trait.
What's the other one?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Complete disregard for what everyone else treats as sacred or important.

But really what makes Zenos work is his simplicity relative to the delusional and moronic ways Gaius and Varis justify their bullshit. For all their self-aggrandizing bullshit, the child of their ideology and heir to their throne is a nakedly violent sociopath.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I never like this logic, because it suggests a broken and rear end-backwards approach to testing on the part of the Empire.

At the time of Stormblood, the Resonant project was still experimental. That's why they throw Fordola in; this is a racist totalitarian empire we're talking about, someone like Fordola is an acceptable sacrifice in the event of failure. Why would they do that if they were already confident enough with the process to have used it on Zenos? It doesn't make sense.

Remember that, while Zenos is an awful lovely failson, the Empire as a whole doesn't really know or care. Varis won out as the successor to Solus in large part because of Zenos being there as a ready heir; he's well-regarded and highly valued, or at least was during Stormblood. You don't risk someone like that on an experimental procedure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Why would they do that if they were already confident enough with the process to have used it on Zenos? It doesn't make sense.

As Malus mentions in his dialogue during the Fordola cutscene, he was laughed out of Garlemald proper as a crank, and only managed to get Zenos interested in his theories. It's entirely explicable that Zenos would happily submit to a mad science experiment if it meant he could become even stronger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I never like this logic, because it suggests a broken and rear end-backwards approach to testing on the part of the Empire.

At the time of Stormblood, the Resonant project was still experimental. That's why they throw Fordola in; this is a racist totalitarian empire we're talking about, someone like Fordola is an acceptable sacrifice in the event of failure. Why would they do that if they were already confident enough with the process to have used it on Zenos? It doesn't make sense.

Remember that, while Zenos is an awful lovely failson, the Empire as a whole doesn't really know or care. Varis won out as the successor to Solus in large part because of Zenos being there as a ready heir; he's well-regarded and highly valued, or at least was during Stormblood. You don't risk someone like that on an experimental procedure.

It makes perfect sense because Zenos is 100% the kind of person who would let himself be part of a crazy mad science experiment if he thought it would be interesting and everyone else is the kind of person who would get a katana through the neck if they tried to argue. Tossing Zenos in as an experiment wouldn't make sense. Zenos wanting to be part of an experiment? Absolutely.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

I don't remember this, when did it come up?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nibble posted:

When Zenos is on the Garlean ship with Fandaniel in one of the post-MSQ cutscenes (possibly 5.1?), he mentions having been haunted by dreams of a burning city and the end of the world ever since he was young.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

Zenos is 100% the type of person that would accept a mad scientist's experimental power upgrade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zenos is 100% the type of person that would accept a mad scientist's experimental power upgrade.

I feel like it's worth point out that Zenos totally decided to meld himself with a dragon made of hatred because he thought it would be cool.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vermain posted:

As Malus mentions in his dialogue during the Fordola cutscene, he was laughed out of Garlemald proper as a crank, and only managed to get Zenos interested in his theories. It's entirely explicable that Zenos would happily submit to a mad science experiment if it meant he could become even stronger.

That's what I figured, he heard about some hosed up super-science procedure to make him better at fighting and jumped at the chance. That's why the lab in Castrum Abania was full of especially hosed up experiments, Zenos just let Malus do whatever he wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nibble posted:

The final cutscene after the 5.3 credits, Zenos talks about repeating dreams of a world ending. In a later cutscene, which I can't find at the moment, you see one of them, and it's the final days of Amaurot.