Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Hey so this is more of a general Android question than anything to do with a particular phone/os version, but why is it that whenever there's an update the phone has to cycle through every single app that happens to be installed and "optimize" it? It's by far the longest taking part of each update installation and I'm just really wondering what's actually going on there, anyone got any insight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Brut posted:

Hey so this is more of a general Android question than anything to do with a particular phone/os version, but why is it that whenever there's an update the phone has to cycle through every single app that happens to be installed and "optimize" it? It's by far the longest taking part of each update installation and I'm just really wondering what's actually going on there, anyone got any insight?

My Kindle Fire does this literally every time it boots lol

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Brut posted:

Android apps are compiled on device, so when you install an app or upgrade your OS, a compilation needs to happen.

Edit: Compiled isn't exactly what's happening, but because Android has such a wide array of supported hardware it needs to be morphed at install time. IIRC this was due to the switch from Dalvik to ART.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

Digital Wellbeing is what people use to check SoT, right? It tells me I have 3:40 with 36% battery left.

I don't think that captures the total screen on time, only the amount of time used in each app. So, nothing when you are on the home screen or messing around in settings. Doesn't seem like it would be much, but it could add up, especially if you are just doing quick action poo poo with notifications.

I still look at the battery settings, you just need to do some math in order to get it since last charged rather than past 24 hours.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Holy poo poo Adguard is catching things and I'm not even using Chrome.

Should I be using the encryption cert?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I still look at the battery settings

I assume that's Battery -> Battery Usage -> System -> Display? That does say 4 hours for me, rather than Digital Wellbeings 03:43, which seems decent enough considering I got 34% battery left.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

withoutclass posted:

Android apps are compiled on device, so when you install an app or upgrade your OS, a compilation needs to happen.

Edit: Compiled isn't exactly what's happening, but because Android has such a wide array of supported hardware it needs to be morphed at install time. IIRC this was due to the switch from Dalvik to ART.

Isn't this also related to Google's move from APK to whatever they are calling Android app containers now? The old style couldn't do incremental updates, but the new one can?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

I assume that's Battery -> Battery Usage -> System -> Display? That does say 4 hours for me, rather than Digital Wellbeings 03:43, which seems decent enough considering I got 34% battery left.

Yup, that's the part.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Isn't this also related to Google's move from APK to whatever they are calling Android app containers now? The old style couldn't do incremental updates, but the new one can?

That could be. The OS did the compile on demand before App Bundles though, which is the new container. App Bundles were mainly about slimmed down installations that would avoid packaging things your device didn't need/support, as well as delivering parts of the application on demand of installing everything up front.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 1, 2021

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Blooster posted:

There's like 50 apps that (successfully) changed the resolution and DPI of the screen with a single click; I've tried them all. The only issue I am having is with "padding".
i can't remember a single tv, computer, phone, or tablet that hasn't scaled lower resolutions up to fill the whole display, no matter the dpi. afaik that would at least need some conscious effort if not different hardware to work the way you're hoping it does.

the only thing i can think of is samsung has (had?) a one handed mode that did scale down the UI to a little window that i don't think went away unless you touched outside the area. obviously doesn't help you on a pixel, but that might be the best software option out there at the moment.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Could the variable battery life issues people are seeing have to do with 5G? e.g. since Pixel 6 uses an old 5G modem; maybe those who aren't connected / have really strong connections to 5G are seeing much better SoT than those who have moderate/weak connections to 5G

(I know the phone still connects even if WiFi is being used so 5G connection seems like a pretty universal battery concern)

Not sure what Google can do about this except prefer 4G unless data usage starts to ramp up a lot.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Skarsnik posted:

Seeing as we are bringing up SOT my 4a is on 57% battery with 5hrs screen on, I don't think there are battery issues..

Yeah, I guess I'm being paranoid. I suppose there's only one way to find out. Worst case, it's a Pixel, I can just re-flash 11.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Blooster posted:

You're not rear end in a top hat but we looked up phones for the better part of two hours and no small phones came up. Like literally none 5" and smaller.

iPhone SE, or 13 mini if they demand a nicer phone

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

incogneato posted:

Personally I like how 12 looks. My annoyances are very minor, such as not being able to open the calendar from the At A Glance widget, or not being able to get to the clock by tapping the time in the notification shade. Really just small things I had gotten used to, and now need to relearn.

It's subjective, but I love the new jumbo AOD clock.

"Another widget" on the app store is a replacement at a glance that fixes all the dumb bugs Google doesn't.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just did the upgrade and the one complaint I have is that, since I use a live wallpaper (Neoline by Maxelus), I get four lame-rear end pastels to pick from for my system theme. I don't hate the new notification shade, I only used a few of the toggles anyway. Everything does seem overly padded on the 4a's screen, though. A compact mode to crush some of the buffering down would be nice.

However, the new wallpaper picker seems nice and having a proper category for Live ones is nice compared to the 10 and 11 wallpaper selectors for them. Glad they improved that UX at the expense of everything esle.

Edit: Wait, what. You can't tap the wifi icon to turn it off now? That I do not like.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Yeah the extra taps to do wifi and change the ring/vibrate/silent are the worst changes. What's the reason for not having a vibrate icon at the top similar to the silent one? Is there a way to get the alarm icon back?

The notification pulldown wastes loads of space too. Is there a way to make it darker that isn't full on dark mode?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

eSporks posted:

"Another widget" on the app store is a replacement at a glance that fixes all the dumb bugs Google doesn't.

Can it actually replace the default one, though? That'd be awesome if so, but I can't seem to make it do anything other than add a new (second) widget.

There's even a built in widget in 12 that matches the 11 at a glance, but I can't figure out if there's a way to remove/replace the default one. It seems to only let me place a second widget (which I can't imagine why anyone would want to do).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

Could the variable battery life issues people are seeing have to do with 5G? e.g. since Pixel 6 uses an old 5G modem; maybe those who aren't connected / have really strong connections to 5G are seeing much better SoT than those who have moderate/weak connections to 5G

(I know the phone still connects even if WiFi is being used so 5G connection seems like a pretty universal battery concern)

Not sure what Google can do about this except prefer 4G unless data usage starts to ramp up a lot.

Possibly. Or mmwave maybe? Canada doesn't have mmwave and there is just metal in the phone where the mmwave antenna would be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing I find kinda amusing about the whole wifi thing is that people are completely blanking out that they had to dismiss the notification shade after toggling the button in the prior version which was an extra step. So, up until the point where you hit the "Done" button, you actually had the same number of steps to turn off/on wifi.

So, yeah, it's one extra touch interaction to hit the done button (or you can just use the multitasking to go back to whatever app you want or touch through to the main screen.)

Edit: I have not noticed any significant 5g drain. Most of my drive over the weekend was in 5g areas and I only lost 15% battery doing like 2 hours of wireless android auto navigating while streaming.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, but there's a difference between just swiping the shade closed and having to parse a popup, select a toggle, then hit done or tap off of it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

Battery life has been great for me, been on track for 7-9hr SoT over the course of a waking day which puts it up there with some of the best Android phones I've used.

Where does it tell you how much SoT you've had since the last full charge? I only see the last 24 hours usage in Settings, which isn't the same thing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

incogneato posted:

That's unfortunate to hear. It's the best looking case I've seen, and I was hoping to get one when certain colors came back in stock.

This Spigen Liquid Air is fine and functional, but I'm tired of plain black lumps. I miss my 3xl fabric case.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still recommend it and it's at least as protective as the useless liquid air. That's the case that did nothing when my s10+ slid out of my pocket and shattered while sitting on a chair.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where does it tell you how much SoT you've had since the last full charge? I only see the last 24 hours usage in Settings, which isn't the same thing.

You have to do math to subtract the time prior to charging.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

You have to do math to subtract the time prior to charging.

That's cool, why would they remove that by default?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The same reason the privacy dashboard only shows the past 24 hours, you aren’t actually supposed to have detailed knowledge and control over your device, these features are there to make people feel comfortable, not impart real control.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between just swiping the shade closed and having to parse a popup, select a toggle, then hit done or tap off of it.

You aren't supposed to move the toggle, you're supposed to select the source for your internet.

Wheeee posted:

The same reason the privacy dashboard only shows the past 24 hours, you aren’t actually supposed to have detailed knowledge and control over your device, these features are there to make people feel comfortable, not impart real control.

This is correct. Didn't one of the past betas (10 or 11?) have the battery page just reduced to a giant static screen that said "It's fine"?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 2, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

incogneato posted:

Can it actually replace the default one, though? That'd be awesome if so, but I can't seem to make it do anything other than add a new (second) widget.

There's even a built in widget in 12 that matches the 11 at a glance, but I can't figure out if there's a way to remove/replace the default one. It seems to only let me place a second widget (which I can't imagine why anyone would want to do).
You can't remove the stock widget? Weird, I swore you could last time I used the stock launcher. I use nova now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eSporks posted:

You can't remove the stock widget? Weird, I swore you could last time I used the stock launcher. I use nova now.

You can. Long press it, customize > click on the left half where it says "At a Glance ON"

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Right, so what maths am I doing? I'm tired and am not sure how I work this out :negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

You can. Long press it, customize > click on the left half where it says "At a Glance ON"

It doesn't actually remove it, it only removes the info under the date.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It doesn't actually remove it, it only removes the info under the date.

LOL that owns.

Like eSporks I use Another Widget and Nova and the big 11>12 change for me was just making Another Widget left-aligned and 1x4 instead of 2x4.

Echophonic posted:

I just did the upgrade and the one complaint I have is that, since I use a live wallpaper (Neoline by Maxelus), I get four lame-rear end pastels to pick from for my system theme.

Yeah this sucks.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Well. I really hate the way 12 looks. My fonts are either too small or too large and there's nothing in between, and all these bubbles are ugly and bad.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Helped a lot on my Pixel 4 by cranking display size to smallest and making the font size one bigger.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I just updated to android 12 and now all links that I have a dedicated app for (SA, Twitter, Reddit etc) are opening in the mobile browser. There is no "open with" pop-up and the default app controls in settings have nothing for this that I can find.

It's making me crazy, plz help

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

I just updated to android 12 and now all links that I have a dedicated app for (SA, Twitter, Reddit etc) are opening in the mobile browser. There is no "open with" pop-up and the default app controls in settings have nothing for this that I can find.

Clear defaults in the mobile browser? Let's be real here, most of us would be absolutely ecstatic to have Reddit and Twitter links stop bothering us about installing the app when opened in the browser.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Taffer posted:

I've had to go to each app and redo the default links handling. Not sure why.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

hooah posted:

I've had to go to each app and redo the default links handling. Not sure why.

I have to manually do this for every app that has custom link handling? Oh my god Google, how do you gently caress up so badly.

Thank you for the help though, that seems to work.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

LastInLine posted:

You aren't supposed to move the toggle, you're supposed to select the source for your internet.

Oh. That's such a weird behavior, I would assume selecting it would open options in all cases, like it does if you tap the active connection. Thanks!

Also? One-handed mode is kinda sick. Definitely going to be nice if games support it without freaking out.

Deep State Nine
May 13, 2021
Got my seafoam Pixel 6.

While it's only like 1 cm taller than my Pixel 2, it feels much bigger because of the lack of bezels. I'm having trouble getting my hands and thumbs used to it. I can borderline one hand it for some tasks but it feels uncomfortable. The size might be a dealbreaker for me and this is before my case has even arrived.

For people who made the jump from one to two handed phone, how long did it take for you to feel comfortable? The return window isn't that long unfortunately. My other options are trying to replace the battery on the Pixel 2 and putting LineageOS on it or an iPhone mini which will cost more and I'll have to deal with inferior notifications, no always on display, lovely app drawer and a home screen that makes me want to pull my hair out when I try to move an icon :sigh:

In terms of other things people have mentioned, fingerprint seems fine. My few failed reads have been when i only managed to get half my finger into the reader. There's something to be said for the older physical readers that gave tactile feedback on where to place your finger but this is working for me. There's like a half second delay but I hardly notice or care. Haptics feel good to me but I'm not very discerning there. Build quality feels very good. It has some heft, for better or for worse. I'm fine with Android 12 - not a fan of the scroll stretch thing but it feels pretty minor to me. Love jumbo clock. I don't really notice the 90hz but maybe I'm just not doing things that take advantage of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

I have to manually do this for every app that has custom link handling? Oh my god Google, how do you gently caress up so badly.

Thank you for the help though, that seems to work.

so this may be less of a gently caress up because quite a handful of apps were abusing the poo poo out of this and trying to register tons of them, like lovely f2p games, for data infiltration or credential stealing