Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Rah! posted:

are kids with platinum in their blood more valuable or less valuable to peter thiel

i dunno if the platinum affects the anti-aging properties or what

you should be loving ashamed that you're even thinking about material wealth if your bloodline has been deemed worthy of the 1 percent. that's a far greater honor than anything money can buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah yeah whatever we're doomed who cares. We can't do anything about that now. We can, however, put feathers on pictures of therapods in the remaining decades between now and oblivion.

kurz ze geh stag tits has you bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQJbozY_Is&t=567s

it's always funny seeing this poo poo, that is the k-name people, pop up from time to time. i refuse to watch their cc episode tho

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

you should be loving ashamed that you're even thinking about material wealth if your bloodline has been deemed worthy of the 1 percent. that's a far greater honor than anything money can buy

wont mr thiel run out of top of the line blood sources eventually

i guess they can just grow clones for that

blood clones in the blood domes

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

RE: Road dust.

IIRC anyone who spends any significant amount of time driving or lives within 200m (200f?) of a busy roadway is inhaling a dangerous amount of particulates from tyres and roads - Not to mention car exhaust.

I don't have time to read this but a quick skim it looks like it collates some of the studies done on it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK361807/

i used to live 1 street back from a main road (in brisbane, australia a main road is a baby freeway, it has 2 lanes going each direction) for 3 years. it gave me asthma and has hosed my lungs. I’ve now moved to the bayside and wfh so don’t have to breath in tyres and diesel fumes constantly. but i still have asthma, although not as bad :shrug:

how good are cars?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

toggle posted:

how good are cars?

They make modern western civilisation possible.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the only thing they need to talk about at climate conferences is "how do we stop ourselves from burning literally every last thing we can mine or pump from the ground that burns." that's it, you stop climate change by not lighting things on fire anymore. that never comes up though because no one wants to do it, so instead we get endless drivel about market based solutions that are intentionally way too complicated to understand and have no real way of working (because it isn't meant to actually work)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Complications posted:

They make modern western civilisation possible.

:hmmyes:

And how good is modern western civilization?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

:hmmyes:

And how good is modern western civilization?

It does seem to be committing suicide, albeit with copious collateral damage, so really it could be worse.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Radirot posted:

thinking about chaining myself to some trees in a couple months

Couldn't hurt!

Unless the chains hurt the trees...

Which they almost certainly would...

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Im remembering an X-ray or ct or I unno what it was I’ve had so many but my lungs weren’t full or something and there was crap at the bottom of em and dude was all don’t worry about that everyone is like that

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Australia's Prime Minister is also on the "technology, engineering and private market solutions will be enough" band wagon.

No surprise there.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Cool, cool. Not quite as common as the plastic drink box straws carpeting the edge of the Salish Sea, but definitely up there.

In the 60s and 70s there were major artificial reef projects that used hundreds of thousands of tires. One version wired them together in a grid so they'd lie flat on the bottom (lol). The ocean has a habit of moving things out of place and rich people were getting upset about chunks of tire reef washing up on their expensive beach front so the practice stopped. Also a nagging suspicion that tires might leach toxins (double lol).

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

the only thing they need to talk about at climate conferences is "how do we stop ourselves from burning literally every last thing we can mine or pump from the ground that burns." that's it, you stop climate change by not lighting things on fire anymore. that never comes up though because no one wants to do it, so instead we get endless drivel about market based solutions that are intentionally way too complicated to understand and have no real way of working (because it isn't meant to actually work)
this is how liberals do everything

take incredibly simple topic.

ignore the solution, call the topic "incredibly complex" and word salad it to death until voters eyes gloss over

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/StateDeptSpox/status/1455331320398237705

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RE: Road dust.

IIRC anyone who spends any significant amount of time driving or lives within 200m (200f?) of a busy roadway is inhaling a dangerous amount of particulates from tyres and roads - Not to mention car exhaust.

I don't have time to read this but a quick skim it looks like it collates some of the studies done on it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK361807/

yeah but I set my car's AC to recirculate air. checkmate :smug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Complications posted:

It does seem to be committing suicide, albeit with copious collateral damage, so really it could be worse.

for a couple decades I lived like a king

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dolphin posted:

take incredibly simple topic.

ignore the solution, call the topic "incredibly complex" and word salad it to death

but enough about left twitter

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lol

lmao

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/1455209189911957511?s=12

crack

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
you know maybe we're over reacting, you guys

i'm just gonna keep on continuing my life the way i live it until things are actually bad

you know, the whole wife, kids, picket fence in the burbs thing

it's absolute absurd that you think that we should get rid of cars or whatever you're going on about

and the nerve

the. nerve.

of some of you to be judgmental? as if any person other than god himself can truly judge humans in this lifetime?

get off your high horse, hippies :2bong:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

Nature heard back from 92 of the 233 living IPCC authors. The results show that six in 10 of the respondents expect the planet to warm at least 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius), a level that’s well beyond the Paris Agreement target of 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit). And it’s double the 1.5-degree-Celsius (2.7-degree-Fahrenheit) target that policymakers and researchers (including the IPCC) have identified as a relatively safe level of heating that would allow small islands to remain above sea level and protect millions from food insecurity and violence. Just 20% of the researchers, meanwhile, expect the world to meet the Paris Agreement 2-degree-Celsius target, and a paltry 4% think 1.5 degrees Celsius is in play.

Kind of buried the lede with that 1.5C crap, eh? Also didn't ask about higher expectations which would be interesting data. I wonder how many of those six in ten think 4C+ is likely, for instance.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Advocacy means none of the cracked yet.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEmwJzQjwyw

*slams hands on desk and throws papers around the room* NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! DAMNIT!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Alobar posted:

*slams hands on desk and throws papers around the room* NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! DAMNIT!

https://i.imgur.com/StXfUej.gifv

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Alobar posted:

Fifty thousand birds used to migrate 'ere, now it's a ball pit.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alobar posted:

They should have sent a poet.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
water is stored in the shade balls

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

i wonder if there's something else, anything, that could provide shade for the water?? they could have constructed giant concrete slabs (with plastic filler) instead?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they can't put water underground because then it's called magma

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
but what if pollution is good, actually?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
plastic orbs, like the caviar of a malevolent god, will cover your water and you're gonna like it

seems like white balls would have been better tho. i called releasing trillions of ping pong balls onto the ocean in the last thread

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
poluton

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Alobar posted:

dashcon la gonna be lit

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rectal Death Adept posted:

they can't put water underground because then it's called magma
magma 2 balls

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

you see, what we're actually gonna do is pump *more* co2 into the atmosphere, that way it'll have a horseshoe effect and we'll be saved from the overheating

it's basic science, you'd know this if you read books like me

lol

lmao

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Alobar posted:

you know maybe we're over reacting, you guys

i'm just gonna keep on continuing my life the way i live it until things are actually bad

you know, the whole wife, kids, picket fence in the burbs thing

it's absolute absurd that you think that we should get rid of cars or whatever you're going on about

and the nerve

the. nerve.

of some of you to be judgmental? as if any person other than god himself can truly judge humans in this lifetime?

get off your high horse, hippies :2bong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ODhjpqigHg&t=1s

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

pft that was just a movie

the world can't actually end for real

kater
Nov 16, 2010

we don’t know who struck first us or them but we know it was us that built a massive ball pit

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I hope they filter all the little plastic particles out of the water before it's supplied to homes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPdPpi5W4o&t=452s

:shrug: