Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pnumoman posted:

What confuses the poo poo outta me are the people saying she's a poo poo bene gesserit for showing emotions when we're seeing her break down in her private moments. When she's sobbing in the hallway all red-faced and puffy, she opens the door and enters the room with no trace of her breakdown visible. Like others have said, the bene gesserit are not emotionless, and they can even fall prey to their emotions. They are masters of observation, manipulation, and control, but they are still human and subject to emotions. Reverend Mother Mohiam definitely did not seem emotionless, but noone seems to be calling her a poo poo bene gesserit. :shrug:

are you suggesting that getting super pissed off is emotional? but my vulcans/jedi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

pnumoman posted:

What confuses the poo poo outta me are the people saying she's a poo poo bene gesserit for showing emotions when we're seeing her break down in her private moments. When she's sobbing in the hallway all red-faced and puffy, she opens the door and enters the room with no trace of her breakdown visible. Like others have said, the bene gesserit are not emotionless, and they can even fall prey to their emotions. They are masters of observation, manipulation, and control, but they are still human and subject to emotions. Reverend Mother Mohiam definitely did not seem emotionless, but noone seems to be calling her a poo poo bene gesserit. :shrug:

To be fair, she had a son against the plans of the BG then went against their traditions by training him, eventually bringing about the Kwisatz Haderach. She was kind of a poo poo Bene Gesserit.

While watching, I did think she was freaking out a bit much, but afterward, I asked my non-book friend what she thought and her thoughts on Jessica were similar to what I thought about book-Jessica. They really just had to put that inner monologue on the actor's faces. Even though it wasn't what I was expecting, it was well done enough to get all the points across and that's impressive to me.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
on rewatch i noticed they did little musical cues when someone used their training, like when jessica outruns paul near the end

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

just wanted to note that i thought it was cool that they depicted specialized shield piercing munitions during the Harkonnen attack and you can see the shells piercing the shields, exploding within and being contained in the shield before then erupting when the shield generator fails. details!

it's also very satisfying from a filmic standpoint. fast thing becomes slow thing becomes impact. there's probably a tv tropes dot com thing that encapsulates this idea

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Everybody I know who has seen it thought Jessica was powerless and cried through the movie. What sticks out is the amount of whisper crying she did.
It was the overwhelming immediate reaction post viewing of the majority of the 18 people I saw it with. Feedback of "well my husband's dead, guess I'll just follow my son into the desert now because he's the man!"
Can't say I disagree with that too much.

Edit: Personally I didn't find any performance compelling, except for Oscar Isaac and Sharon Duncan Brewster. I just bounced off every other character and was not engaged by them at all.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 2, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

stratdax posted:

Everybody I know who has seen it thought Jessica was powerless and cried through the movie. What sticks out is the amount of whisper crying she did.
It was the overwhelming immediate reaction post viewing of the majority of the 18 people I saw it with. Feedback of "well my husband's dead, guess I'll just follow my son into the desert now because he's the man!"
Can't say I disagree with that too much.
To be quite fair to Jessica, she loves her son very much, and also had relatively few options at that point.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Roman Reigns posted:

Yes and yes. It is unfinished garbage.

It also misspells Frank Herbert's name right in the main menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GBUW2Jw6LQ

The game so bad it sunk Cryo.

Which is a bit ironic because the original Dune launched them in the first place

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

What was the biggest lol of the movie to you?

For me the scenes with Sardaukar deus ex machina entries.

Dave Bautista visibly working himself up to behead the captured Atredies troops. Its hot, he's tired, his mascara is running, and now he's gotta chop up a big ole line of soldiers.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Antiquated Pants posted:

To be fair, she had a son against the plans of the BG then went against their traditions by training him, eventually bringing about the Kwisatz Haderach. She was kind of a poo poo Bene Gesserit.

While watching, I did think she was freaking out a bit much, but afterward, I asked my non-book friend what she thought and her thoughts on Jessica were similar to what I thought about book-Jessica. They really just had to put that inner monologue on the actor's faces. Even though it wasn't what I was expecting, it was well done enough to get all the points across and that's impressive to me.

It was a big clash from the previous presentations of the book, but IMO it worked. It's also preferable to the endless narration/internal monologue of Dune 1984.

Also this is probably a very broad generalization on my part, but IMO Rebecca Ferguson does intense/scared really well, so it sorta made sense that they would bring that into Dunc.
That entire scene could have been clarified though - its presented as the BG gatekeeping Paul in his journey to become Kwisatz Haderach, when in reality the BG were there to assess the mess Jessica had made and figure out of their plans were salvageable. The test wasnt to see if he would become the KH, it was more of a pass/fail to see if their genetics program could continue with him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Imagined posted:

I'm glad to hear my subjective opinion is objectively wrong.

It's wrong because you're being owned by vibrating pussy post magic. Maybe show some gratitude.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Reminder that water of life ceremonies involve drinking worm vomit, digesting it until it’s safe using magic woo powers, and then vomiting that up so all your buddies can drink some too.

The Bloop posted:

It's woo but explicitly not magic

Sounds kind of like Ayahuasca.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

pnumoman posted:

It is good to be a poo poo Bene Gesserit, gently caress the Bene Gesserit

Going "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me" and having a son messes with the BG's plans for millennia to come, and just for that Jessica will always be alright in my book

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Put my son's hand into your hosed up box, will you

Put your head into MY box, Honored Matre [farts into box]

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Water of life go woooooo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Why is she being so melodramatic about *checks notes* the likely murder of her son?

loving goons sometimes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They should have let me direct this movie

- Every scene featuring or interrupted by a worm
- That mean BG woman has to put her head into a fart box
- Rebecca Ferguson crying scenes replaced by Rebecca Ferguson nude scenes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People don’t know who Jessica’s parents are lol. I wonder if they will ever even bring it up. I think Paul does in the end of the first book when he wins

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It makes sense why Leto doesn’t marry Jessica in that context alone

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

Dave Bautista visibly working himself up to behead the captured Atredies troops. Its hot, he's tired, his mascara is running, and now he's gotta chop up a big ole line of soldiers.

I read that scene initially like he's looking around with a "this is ALL the prisoners we could get for me to kill?!" expression and then he gets pissed at that and starts hacking away.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh boo hoo, your entire family and way of life is being systematically destroyed and you're trapped on an inhospitable planet full of hostile natives. ugh, cry me a river, lady Jessica. would it hurt for you to crack a joke once in a while??

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Really, I think we all can agree this would have been a superior movie if there were more Marvel style quips throughout.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jessica is pulled along by the plot and doesnt have toooo much agency but thats true for pretty much every other character as well? theyre all swept up by by politics that are way larger than them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

euphronius posted:

It makes sense why Leto doesn’t marry Jessica in that context alone

Was that the reason? I never knew why he didn't marry her. Did Leto know who her real father was?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Been so long since I read the books I can't remember, but if Jessica hadn't had a son and the BG plan went smoothly, would there still have been the jihad when the real KH showed up, etc etc?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Was that the reason? I never knew why he didn't marry her. Did Leto know who her real father was?

in the book Leto explains through inner monologue that him being available is politically useful. makes the houses think an alliance through marriage is on the table

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

kalel posted:

in the book Leto explains through inner monologue that him being available is politically useful. makes the houses think an alliance through marriage is on the table

Ah, that makes sense.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Yadoppsi posted:

Really, I think we all can agree this would have been a superior movie if there were more Marvel style quips throughout.

Paul: Look, the entire planet is a desert, I'm moonwalking to avoid giant space worms, and you have mind-control powers. None of this makes sense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Harkonens would also have a claim on atriedes if baron recognizes Jessica .

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 2, 2021

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The people complaining of Jessica not being in control did not see the same movie as me, clearly lol

Like Jesus, consult the litany against fear directly! Do you imagine emotional control is mere suppression ? Do you imagine you can be vulcan-esque in expression 24/7 and also be in control, real control, of everything you may feel? Control does not merely imply suppression to me and Rebecca Ferguson showing what her character is feeling is not some failure to understand Jessica on her part lmao

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

It was one guy complaining about Jessica's emotions and he thought the chinese jedi in rogue one was better, soooo... you really don't have to respond.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

They should have let me direct this movie

- Every scene featuring or interrupted by a worm
- That mean BG woman has to put her head into a fart box
- Rebecca Ferguson crying scenes replaced by Rebecca Ferguson nude scenes

Whenever the worm isn't there, someone should say, "where;s is the worm?"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
A fart box

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/alejodorowsky/status/1455207376806686725

:stare:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

euphronius posted:

People don’t know who Jessica’s parents are lol. I wonder if they will ever even bring it up. I think Paul does in the end of the first book when he wins

He mentat-calculates and announces it in the stilltent, the scene where he's going "in my naaaaaaame" in the movie, IIRC

Mozi posted:

Been so long since I read the books I can't remember, but if Jessica hadn't had a son and the BG plan went smoothly, would there still have been the jihad when the real KH showed up, etc etc?

Almost certainly not. That only happened due to his being adopted into the Fremen, which was made possible by the BG seeding the planet with messianic prophecy centuries/millennia ago, which he was forced to harness as a tool to survive after being nearly wiped out and made a pariah by the galactic order. Without any one of the above factors, he wouldn't have a horde of religious fanatics ready to kill the nonbelievers and martyr themselves in his name.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Whenever the worm isn't there, someone should say, "where;s is the worm?"

Paul befriending the worms and becoming one of them, greets them by saying "how do you do, fellow worms" (younger viewers will appreciate this reference)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fuschia tude posted:

He mentat-calculates and announces it in the stilltent, the scene where he's going "in my naaaaaaame" in the movie, IIRC

He sees that if he doesn’t cause the jihad, he will eventually meet the Baron and acknowledge him as grandfather. This is suggested to be a motivating factor for him to go through with finding and joining the Fremen, even though he’s already seeing this is going to cause the jihad, and even though he feels like he’d be playing into the Bene Gesserit’s hands by causing it.

He doesn’t tell anyone that though. I think Jessica only finds out when she does the spice agony?

Alia knows about it when she kills him, so Jessica must as well, but I’m not sure we ever get a moment where she reacts to it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 2, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Did the baron call Leto cousin or did I mishear that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

He did.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

aristocrats in Dune are like real world ones. they're all related and inbred as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

aristocrats in Dune are like real world ones. they're all related and inbred as gently caress.

Not exactly inbred with the implications that word has

Bred quite intentionally