Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Trabant posted:

Oregon + Idaho = Oreida, aka the cheapo potato products company.

Oh duh. Well now I know the definitive way to pronounce that I guess.

Also, thanks to RedLetterMedia I just learned that that company actually owns the trademark on "tater tots".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh duh. Well now I know the definitive way to pronounce that I guess.

Don't forget the hyphen stylistically represents a dental click

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I am definitely goysplaining here but mensch means man.

A good man, a respected man.
Shut the gently caress up, Donnie

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

It'd have to be :----------------*: but I don't see why not.

Anyway, I was thinking about the mensch thing more, about how I've never heard it used for anyone other than male, and I wonder if it's not another characteristic of Orthodox Judaism compared with the more progressive variants. I grew up orthodox, which positions itself as the only legitimate heir to Judaism itself. I only very recently found out that it's exactly as old as its political opponents are (if age is any measure of legitimacy), and actually developed as a reaction to people wanting reform.
Really it's also a thing in more progressive denominations, but I think that's a mix of societal chauvinism and yiddish rarely surviving as a first language in assimilated Jews.

You can of course speak on the social conservatism and patriarchal bent of the Orthodox far better than I so I will defer, but I can't see it not being relevant (also maybe drift from the German root of the word in Slavic regions?)

And just as an aside for the people in the thread who obviously don't know, Conservative Judaism is, despite the name, is one of those more progressive denominations, among other things, having ordained its first female rabbi only 13 years after Reform Judaism. Also Orthodox is not a synonym for, say, Hasidic. There are a lot of different denominations under the Orthodox umbrella

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Donnie

I deserve this.

Sorry, Ellie and all readers of my awful posts.

I'll just spread my own ashes over the coast.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mensch as an expression meaning a good person, someone who goes beyond for other people solely out of humanity, is a thing in Swedish still if a bit old sounding. You'll encounter it in older texts but sometimes also in daily speech among certain folks. Oh, and it has no implied gender traditionally - a good person is a good person is a true mensch.

E. It is also very clearly a direct loan from Yiddish to Swedish, no etymological doubt there

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Nov 1, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Are you talking about mänska? I'm pretty sure (thread title notwithstanding) that's an abbreviation of människa, which is an Old Swedish word (13th-15th century).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Both are probably from the same Germanic root.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's originally a Germanic word, manniskaz. Yiddish is, as far as I understand it, a hybrid of Hebrew and German, so it makes sense.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Icelandic for human is manneskja and as far as I can acertain first appears in writing in the late 16th century.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cf. Danish menneske with same Proto-Germanic etymology and meaning

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Mr Meeseeks has the same etymology

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Nope, sweden has the expression mensch (with that spelling) alongside the languages word for human (människa in this case) like every other socioculture who has the expression in common* use

*common as you'll hear it from old people with pretences to cultural elitism or whatever, a random teenager won't be saying it or likely ever even heard it. Did I mention it sounds old here? Anyway, yiddish has left random artefacts in (formerly standard usage) swedish was my point

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I've just had my mind blown by my flatmate, most cars are front wheel drive? Including mine?? Why, my entire life have I assumed that rear wheel drive was the default, and front wheel drive was the weird thing fancy sports cars did and not the other way around? I mean it makes sense, not having to bring the power from the engine at the front to the wheels at the back.

Maybe it was videogames? I swear whenever I flip a 2WD in a GTA game and I run the accelerator, it's always the rear wheels that spin. Meanwhile I've yet to flip a car IRL so I haven't had the opportunity to see.

Beartaco has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Nov 2, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A remake of David Cronenberg's Crash, but it's just a guy getting into horrific car wrecks to check out which way the wheels spin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Nope, sweden has the expression mensch (with that spelling) alongside the languages word for human (människa in this case) like every other socioculture who has the expression in common* use

*common as you'll hear it from old people with pretences to cultural elitism or whatever, a random teenager won't be saying it or likely ever even heard it. Did I mention it sounds old here? Anyway, yiddish has left random artefacts in (formerly standard usage) swedish was my point

I don't doubt that people use it, but I would assume that if it was considered part of the Swedish language or in widespread use at some point, it'd show up in SAOB or Språkbanken. Perhaps it was only ever used in spoken language? :shrug:

https://spraakbanken.gu.se/korp/
https://www.saob.se

For comparison, Scandoromani words are present: https://www.saob.se/artikel/?unik=V_1341-0023.dJ77&pz=3 (see etymology)

e: just noticed your emphasis there, I guess you're saying that it is used in Sweden but is not Swedish. fwiw i also use "mensch" sometimes lol

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Nov 2, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Beartaco posted:

I've just had my mind blown by my flatmate, most cars are front wheel drive? Including mine?? Why, my entire life have I assumed that rear wheel drive was the default, and front wheel drive was the weird thing fancy sports cars did and not the other way around? I mean it makes sense, not having to bring the power from the engine at the front to the wheels at the back.

Maybe it was videogames? I swear whenever I flip a 2WD in a GTA game and I run the accelerator, it's always the rear wheels that spin. Meanwhile I've yet to flip a car IRL so I haven't had the opportunity to see.

Yep

I had a similar moment when I was in my early teens, couldn't comprehend how to transmit power through a joint like that

Thought it just made sense

power through the back
steering on the front

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Turns out it's heavier*, more technical† and less efficientǂ to power cars through the rear wheels as compared to the front. You also get more room inside the car due to no transmission hump and more room in the trunk due to not having to have a diff back there.

*extra driveshaft length needed

†turning the drive through 90 degrees requires a more involved manufacturing process

ǂgotta spin all that extra weight and you also lose more power through the 90° turn

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

I don't doubt that people use it, but I would assume that if it was considered part of the Swedish language or in widespread use at some point, it'd show up in SAOB or Språkbanken. Perhaps it was only ever used in spoken language? :shrug:

https://spraakbanken.gu.se/korp/
https://www.saob.se

For comparison, Scandoromani words are present: https://www.saob.se/artikel/?unik=V_1341-0023.dJ77&pz=3 (see etymology)

e: just noticed your emphasis there, I guess you're saying that it is used in Sweden but is not Swedish. fwiw i also use "mensch" sometimes lol

Ok so I’ve used mensch while speaking English to Swedes but not speaking Swedish, and I figured they’d have never heard of it. Now I feel no guilt in overhearing my incredibly Nordic partner call someone a schnook. Or introducing him to brisket.

I’m goy as the day is long, however I am unfortunately a long islander, so I’ve always used some phrases and terms from it just being around me a lot? There’s some horrendous Italian American poo poo mixed in there too.

Anyway don’t ever get me drunk, I sound like a screeching train wreck.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

teen witch posted:

Aah, a German. Or vampire, one or the other

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Nov 2, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beartaco posted:

Rear wheel drive cars have to have a tunnel for the driveshaft. It makes the middle seat extra awful.

Not that this is the reason to go FWD, but you’ll know when you’re in a RWD car.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Rear wheel drive cars have to have a tunnel for the driveshaft. It makes the middle seat extra awful.

Not that this is the reason to go FWD, but you’ll know when you’re in a RWD car.
Or AWD cars, for the same reason. I think I've had at least one AWD or 4WD vehicle around my entire life, but I live in Michigan where it's nice to have that extra winter boost--center rear hump be damned.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

teen witch posted:

Ok so I’ve used mensch while speaking English to Swedes but not speaking Swedish, and I figured they’d have never heard of it. Now I feel no guilt in overhearing my incredibly Nordic partner call someone a schnook. Or introducing him to brisket.

I’m goy as the day is long, however I am unfortunately a long islander, so I’ve always used some phrases and terms from it just being around me a lot? There’s some horrendous Italian American poo poo mixed in there too.

Hell, it took me long enough to learn which "not English but my parents used them" words in my vocabulary are Yiddish and which are Afrikaans...

Also, I'd never heard schnook before! I'd only heard of schmuck. Wikipedia tells me both are Yiddish and to Yiddish speakers "schmuck" is derogatory, even obscene.

(we do need that "the more you know" smiley, eh?)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Putting the engine weight over the drive wheels is also useful for traction

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Under steer is also more predictable than oversteer.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Also, I'd never heard schnook before! I'd only heard of schmuck. Wikipedia tells me both are Yiddish and to Yiddish speakers "schmuck" is derogatory, even obscene.
Looney Tunes used "schnook"! (Not "schmuck." Never "schmuck.") It's a great word.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/53de2048-e5d2-401a-afe0-7610444e396a

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mad Magazine used a schmuck a whole lot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Foxfire_ posted:

Putting the engine weight over the drive wheels is also useful for traction

However, there's an opposite effect, where the weight distribution of the car shifts rearwards under acceleration. Traction at the rear is increased and traction at the front is reduced.

Also, splitting up the power and steering duties between front and back probably made more sense in the early to mid 20th because tire compounds were dogshit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it was a combination of getting the rubber tech and suspension geometry right, and figuring out how to deal with torque steer; some early front wheel drive cars are incredibly squirrelly especially with a bit of power. I drove a 1988 Mazda 323 GTX Turbo for a while, that was making about 240hp, and if you wanted, you could change lanes on the highway by pressing the accelerator.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mad Magazine used a schmuck a whole lot.

Cracked used to be a magazine :aaaaa:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Cracked was a great website too.

quote:

In 2007, Cracked had a few hundred thousand unique users per month and 3 to 4 million page views.[4]

Writers included Cody Johnston who currently does a show that is something I like. I'm a lefty whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvlj0IzjSnNoduQF0l3VGng

And Seanbaby who, you may remember from the MMA craze of whenever.

https://www.cracked.com/blog/worst-life-ever-the-story-of-kazuyuki-fujitas-skull

But in spite of how most SA users will spit fire at Seanbaby there was a good team of people saying things in list form that were interesting.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Ex-cracked writer Micheal Swain's small beans podcast network as a good podcast to follow and dip in when you see a piece of media you like

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

teen witch posted:

I assumed you sounded like that sober, too!

sorry

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Your eyes have a conduit to your mouth, as evidenced by the possibility of eyedrops sometimes working their way down to your tastebuds.
I suppose I might've worked that out if I'd ever thought deeply about it, but it was still a surprise.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Steve Ditko used to draw for Cracked.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Hygiene posted:

Your eyes have a conduit to your mouth, as evidenced by the possibility of eyedrops sometimes working their way down to your tastebuds.
I suppose I might've worked that out if I'd ever thought deeply about it, but it was still a surprise.

The sinuses are everywhere in your facebones

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Captain Hygiene posted:

I found this out after getting lasik surgery. The drops they prescribed were disgusting.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

oh dope posted:

I found this out after getting lasik surgery. The drops they prescribed were disgusting.

Also when you get those orange fluorescein eye drops and your snot runs orange.

Plus the way everytime someone cries they get a runny nose

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

"And what say you, Covet-thee-not Savage?"
"Well James, I believe that we can call the presence of witches in the town of Andover as 'Plausible'"