Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao at Chiang Kai-Shek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

genericnick posted:

Lmao at Chiang Kai-Shek.

He got canceled to Taiwan.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

giving the "retired" military guy smuggling weapons to your proxy the cover of a fertilizer salesman is really on the nose

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Matt Taibaby

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Atrocious Joe posted:

was Taibbi ever chased out of a country like Dolan or Ames.

He really seems like the least cancelled eXiled alum by that metric.

not exactly, although the way ames tells of his exit from russia is pretty funny,

quote:

Shortly after Ames returned to Moscow, in early 2002, Taibbi left for Buffalo, New York, to start a new paper, The Buffalo Beast. Ames says Taibbi made it clear he didn’t want Ames’s help. According to some, it was Taibbi’s plan all along to parlay the Exile buzz into Stateside success. “[The Exile] gave him the Western platform he always wanted,” says Andrew Meier. Ames agrees. “I never thought I’d get anything of mine read. Matt never suffered from that worry. It was his birthright to be read,” he says. “He wasn’t ever comfortable with his own anger. Matt’s fate all along was to end up in a privileged space. He knew that and realized that if he could take an unconventional route there it would make him much more interesting once he arrived.” Ames claims that while he was gone Taibbi mismanaged The Exile, running it into debt and embroiling it in a libel lawsuit with Russian hockey star Pavel Bure after Taibbi ran a prank story claiming Bure’s then girlfriend, tennis player Anna Kournikova, had two vaginas. Ames says Taibbi pushed him to take on Bure, a hero among some of Moscow’s less humor-inclined underworld figures, knowing that it might endanger The Exile and Ames’s safety, even his life. “He wanted out of The Exile and he wanted out of my shadow. He was pretty clear that he wanted The Exile to go down,” Ames says.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Like many other gen xers tabbi's brain got broken by the concept of cancel culture.

Mark Ames posted:

It was his birthright to be read,

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

when mark and yasha poo poo on greenwald, which side does the glenn thread take?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
glad that Mark has good opinions :unsmith:

really hope they get Eileen on for the Dune episode

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1455595283811819521

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that review is kind of similar (not in a plagiarizing way just in the way that they both address some of the movies weaknesses) on the sports website defector, which basically said that dune wasn't very good because it was faithful to the plot but plot is like the least interesting thing about dune. compare

quote:

But even the original Dune novel is weird. It is a story about a group of space nuns who use eugenics to produce a boy who does so many drugs that he can see the future and ride a big worm and become the ruler of the universe. When you spell it all out like that, you get closer to seeing how Frank Herbert fits in the sci-fi tradition. He’s easy to miscategorize half a century on, because the visuals of Dune are what linger in popular imagination, since they are so often singular. But Herbert was less a successor to the grandeur of Clarke or the wonder of Bradbury or the almost erotic warmaking paeans of Heinlein, and more a contemporary of the outré, psychedelic—as John Semley so aptly puts it—pulp of a Philip K. Dick. Things didn’t always make sense because making sense wasn’t the point; you were supposed to be entertained, you were supposed to feel things, and you were supposed to come away altered in some way. Herbert’s Dune is not space Shakespeare, as so many of Villeneuve’s actors seem keen to play it; it is space opera, for all the low-rent and grimy and tawdry connotations that once-pejorative genre name implies. It is a battered paperback, not a prestige hardcover.

with

quote:

Given all this dullness, I was really looking forward to the sandworms. Sadly, it’s very telling that, in this film, the sandworms are dull too. They tunnel along in a very literal way, creating long sand tubes like gophers in cartoons, only gigantic. And when one finally appears, the most that can be said for it is, it’s quite large. Yep. A large, staid, dignified-looking sandworm comes up out of the sand, looming over Paul and his dull mother, Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson). It then holds its pose photogenically, like a head of state getting one of those enormous magisterial portraits done to hang in the marble hall.

This is in keeping with the film’s stately “suitable for framing” aesthetic. But I can’t help but wonder what this Dune might have been had it chucked those handsome but cold visuals out the window and embraced a wilder look — the kind promised by Jodorowsky and delivered, apparently, by Lynch decades ago.

Because if you can’t get wild and crazy with a nearly thousand-page yarn about tripping on space peyote while riding giant worms in the desert, what can you get wild and crazy about?

they're right!

i still liked dune though.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Eileen sums up the new Dune precisely: "...one of these slow, bloated, ponderous, solemn, handsomely shot, Hans Zimmered epics that other people seem to like for reasons that escape me"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It was good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The score was the most Hans Zimmer score possible, and not really in a good way; but I thought the movie worked overall. Personally I think the unrelenting grimness fit for a story about a decaying feudal empire run by several competing bands of psychos which is only going to be upended by unimaginable bloodshed

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I liked it, but I agree with Mark and Eileen that movies were more enjoyable when they took themselves less seriously. We need to bring back some of the goofiness that sci-fi had in the 80s.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a major movie now costs a hundred gajillion billion dollars to make so that's not likely to happen any time soon

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

Joementum posted:

I liked it, but I agree with Mark and Eileen that movies were more enjoyable when they took themselves less seriously. We need to bring back some of the goofiness that sci-fi had in the 80s.

Those movies still exist, they're just lke "free guy" or w/e.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I could listen to Carl Zha all day

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I could listen to Carl Zha all day

You'll have to if you want him to get to the point on his podcast.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

The score was the most Hans Zimmer score possible, and not really in a good way; but I thought the movie worked overall. Personally I think the unrelenting grimness fit for a story about a decaying feudal empire run by several competing bands of psychos which is only going to be upended by unimaginable bloodshed

That was my thought exactly. This is a story about an ancient institution composed of similarly gerontocratic factions who are all merely going through the motions of history. The fact that even Paul ends up being a mere instrument rather than a subject of history despite being a psychic God is a pretty effective attack on Great Man theory. The Greatest Man in the universe can't even control his own people, who see him as a God, because the historical buildup of millenia are sweeping it along a path to the jihad.

The new Dune's Baron Harkonnen is emblematic of this change. He's extremely anhedonic about being a decadent fat piece of poo poo. He's only rising to meet the duty of his obligations.

But Eileen is right that it's dull. As much as I liked it and the take it has on the book I was still nodding off a lot after the 1:30 point. I'm hoping Part 2 is way more colorful and psychedelic in contrast.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 04:59 on Nov 4, 2021

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

when mark and yasha poo poo on greenwald, which side does the glenn thread take?

give you three guesses

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

yeah i liked that aspect of it. the bene gesserit were one of my favorite groups in the film because of how gothic and creepy they are. i also liked that the atreides were not treated like a bunch of wimps like in the first movie. lynch made them into total pushovers! they're supposed to be tough enough for the emperor to consider them a serious threat. they still get owned of course. but they rise to the occasion and go out swinging. and they're not "good" rulers of arrakis, they're feudalists with sticks up their asses. they're just "not as bad" as the harkonnens.

i like this epic stuff. he's breaking the fourth wall, but he's not winking at the camera. and i'm making moves in the audience along with my favorite dune character, gurney halleck. he slices one of the harkonnens in half. me: "yeah! gently caress you!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngemyVhDmpM

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 10:44 on Nov 4, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

In the books the Atreides homeworld is supposed to be a verdant paradise where the common people have leisurely lives of luxury. So making it a dull wet rock that looked like the Orkneys was a clever choice. Makes it really clear that there's no real life in House Atreides, they're just going through the motions as much as anyone else.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I really hope in the Taiwan series with Carl Zha they get to a "China war scenarios" episode, similar to what John outlined both on RWN and on a guest appearance on Chapo w/r/t Iran.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That was my thought exactly. This is a story about an ancient institution composed of similarly gerontocratic factions who are all merely going through the motions of history. The fact that even Paul ends up being a mere instrument rather than a subject of history despite being a psychic God is a pretty effective attack on Great Man theory. The Greatest Man in the universe can't even control his own people, who see him as a God, because the historical buildup of millenia are sweeping it along a path to the jihad.

The new Dune's Baron Harkonnen is emblematic of this change. He's extremely anhedonic about being a decadent fat piece of poo poo. He's only rising to meet the duty of his obligations.

But Eileen is right that it's dull. As much as I liked it and the take it has on the book I was still nodding off a lot after the 1:30 point. I'm hoping Part 2 is way more colorful and psychedelic in contrast.

Yeah agreed on all of it- I do think it's hard to separate the fact that it bleeds its momentum in the third act from the decision to end the movie where it did. Though BR2049 had a similar problem with its third act so maybe it's more than that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the only movie from the last decade with a good third act is malignant

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

i say swears online posted:

the only movie from the last decade with a good third act is malignant

Probably because movies these days are about selling sequels and cinematic universes, so the third act can't bring catharsis because that's always for the next movie, which will do the same thing.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i like this epic stuff. he's breaking the fourth wall, but he's not winking at the camera. and i'm making moves in the audience along with my favorite dune character, gurney halleck. he slices one of the harkonnens in half. me: "yeah! gently caress you!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngemyVhDmpM

my inner war nerd gets annoyed when battles are two groups of infantry sprinting at each other in a field.

they should have ripped off the forever war and had the Houses fight with (physical) shield walls and pikes because of the energy shields

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

my inner war nerd gets annoyed when battles are two groups of infantry sprinting at each other in a field.

they should have ripped off the forever war and had the Houses fight with (physical) shield walls and pikes because of the energy shields

I had the same thought when I read Dune for the first time and it occurred again while watching the new one

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I still want a Russian civil war series.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i want a russian civil war series and i want a life and times of mao series

mao has got to be one of the most insane stories of all time. came from a moderately privileged but really quite modest background, survived all kinds of improbable poo poo and became supreme leader of china. we should all be so lucky

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

obv not the same but i believe mike duncan said he'll be covering the russian civil war this season

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

getting really sick of Revolutions' twenty minute episodes

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

getting really sick of Revolutions' twenty minute episodes

Love the harris razor though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did you know he wrote a book

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

did you know he wrote a book

I'llneedtolistentoitonaudible

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It finally happened to me. In what I hope will become a war nerd tradition, I was momentarily locked in the bathroom at work today

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1458596442386296832

:thunk:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Larouchism with Chinese Characteristics

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Larouchism with Chinese Characteristics

lol